• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah.....this was done in front of millions of people on tv. Unless you're saying these players are above the law? Which i guess is exactly what you're saying.

You want to square up with someone, drop your helmets and use your fists.

Which constitutes assault as well. You can't condemn one and then condone another. The fact is physical confrontations happen in all sports and very rarely is anybody charged let alone arrested. That's just the way it is.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of lost why that would matter in the legal system. Like hockey players in the past have faced charges for illegal shit like this.
I'm not up on hockey, but the only incidents I know of where courts got involved were very severe. Anyway, sports are seen with a lot of leeway in that regard. If he had concussed or split Mason's head then they would probably get involved, but there usually has to be some level of significant damage and egregiously unprovoked. I mean in terms of aggression and physical play, football is only one step away from actual combat sports like boxing, where dudes have bitten ears off or fought with loaded gloves and never faces charges.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Because if you ran up to a guy in a bar and ear holed him and his ears were bleeding afterwards you'd be arrested as well. Same thing happened in the game last night. A football field isn't a bar and these are not the same circumstances at all.

Trying to smash in someone's head with their own helmet isn't a football play, so this is an incorrect comparison.

It's like the difference between breaking someone's leg with a careless tackle in soccer and grabbing a player by the head and smashing it into the goalpost after a goal is scored.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Which constitutes assault as well. You can't condemn one and then condone another. The fact is physical confrontations happen in all sports and very rarely is anybody charged let alone arrested. That's just the way it is.
You're comparing a helmet strike to a fist? The person doing the swinging isn't exactly glass joe l, there was some real force behind that.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Care to wager on that?
Nope. But I'll tell you I told you so when he quietly applies for reinstatement in the off-season and the NFL grants it because the media and public will have moved on from the story.

The NFL has allowed killers and rapists to take the field with less punishment and yet you think they are go over the top and ban one of the best young stars in the league for over a year over this? You are dreaming.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to smash in someone's head with their own helmet isn't a football play, so this is an incorrect comparison.

It's like the difference between breaking someone's leg with a careless tackle in soccer and grabbing a player by the head and smashing it into the goalpost after a goal is scored.
Fights happening in a bar and on a football field is also an incorrect comparison. Lots of things go on on a football field that wouldn't be permitted off.

Oct 29, 2017

Punching some in the face is an entirely different ordeal than swinging a 6 lb helmet at their skull

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
Cue how Cam Newton was getting beaten all to hell and back along with late hits and hits to the head, then had a ref tell him to his face that he wasn't good enough to get those calls. Took Cam meeting with Goodell face to face before the refs finally started calling personal fouls for late hits against him. Meanwhile, guys like Tom Brady and other white QBs barely get tapped on the helmet and its an automatic roughing the passer penalty.
I mean Brady has played in over 50 more games than Russel Wilson and Cam Newton in the last 10 years and has gotten 2 less RTP penalties than Newton and is tied with Russel Wilson, not sure why Brady is always the poster boy of complaints about roughing the passer
Nope, just don't cry if someone tries to crush Brady's skull since he will have had it coming.
Yikes and somehow Patriot fans are the bad guys of NFLEra, I've laid it out in previous posts but I don't believe Brady has been a Trump supporter for years if you wanna check it out

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I am thoroughly enjoying the Browns staying a disaster, it should be mentioned that Garrett has no history of this stuff. He's not Vontaze Burfict or Ndomakung Suh. Yet.
I'm OK with an 8 game ban appealed down to six, I think. Lowest I can see is 4 before it looks absolutely ridiculous by the NFL.
Uhhh Myles Garret is absolutely known for his dirty play

he even addressed it before the season

also why the fuck does every thread on this site have to become about Trump?

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I'd be really genuinely curious to see the crossover between people who are incensed by this and think Garret belongs in prison, and people who defend baseball pitchers "policing themselves" and throwing 100 mph fastballs at opposing players who aybe showboat too hard.

Regardless what the overlap it, the NFL is in the right in how seriously they're taking this situation - and the MLB is in the wrong in how lax they are with pitchers throwing a hard object 90-100 mph at a defenseless player's head.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Nope. But I'll tell you I told you so when he quietly applies for reinstatement in the off-season and the NFL grants it because the media and public will have moved on from the story.

The NFL has allowed killers and rapists to take the field with less punishment and yet you think they are go over the top and ban one of the best young stars in the league for over a year over this? You are dreaming.

Which killers and rapists were allowed on the field with video evidence? I personally believe he'll be back by the start of next season, but wouldn't be shocked to see a 4 game suspension.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am, you morons defending a guy hitting someone with a helmet are the children here.

real mature kid. Name calling because some people say Rudolph instigated and deserves punishment too. Guy went after Garrett's junk 2 fucking times, at that point I'm swinging on someone too no question

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be really genuinely curious to see the crossover between people who are incensed by this and think Garret belongs in prison, and people who defend baseball pitchers "policing themselves" and throwing 100 mph fastballs at opposing players who aybe showboat too hard.

Max Kellerman talked about this exact same scenario this morning, and got shamed for it. Throwing 100 MPH fastballs and nailing them in the head or causing them bodily harm on purpose is way worse than what happened to Mason last night.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Which killers and rapists were allowed on the field with video evidence? I personally believe he'll be back by the start of next season, but wouldn't be shocked to see a 4 game suspension.
I will grant you the video evidence part, but the NFL can't allow pieces of shit like Tyreek Hill, Greg Hardy and countless others to take the field and then at the same time ban this guy from the league for over a year for this.

Then again the NFL is hypocritical and inconsistent as fuck so maybe they would do that.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
You know, i've posted this before. Last night to be exact but, Antonio Brown did exactly the same thing like 6 years ago. He ripped off Incognito's helmet and hit him in the face with it. At the time that was his 7th fineable offense including kicking him in the head in a previous encounter.

Smith got 4 games and a 20k fine.

That isn't Antonio Brown and he swung it never connected.

During Saturday night's Texans-Dolphins preseason game, a one-on-one between defensive end Antonio Smith and offensive guard Richie Incognito escalated when Smith ripped Incognito's helmet off of him and swung it at his head, just missing the target.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
You're comparing a helmet strike to a fist? The person doing the swinging isn't exactly glass joe l, there was some real force behind that.

They're both assault under the law, so uh...yes. If you wanna talk about legal charges then you can't ignore one just because it's a lesser charge.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Indefinite ban. Good. Puts to rest real quick the armchair analysts in here saying 6 games. Fucking dumspter fire of a thread.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wah his junk. Gimme a fucking break. Not even comparable. Fucking moron.

lol you kids are so predictable nowadays. If someone kicks you in the dick, then you get up and walk away and they come back and try to punch you in the dick or grab your dick you just standing there watching?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Indefinite ban. Good. Puts to rest real quick the armchair analysts in here saying 6 games. Fucking dumspter fire of a thread.
It essentially is just 6 games though. He is just suspended for the rest of the season and playoffs. And since the Browns aren't making the playoffs that means he is suspended for basically 6 games.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and those things involve playing football, not trying to knock someone unconscious after a play is over.
They often don't involve playing football. You ever been in a pile trying to get a loose football? Prepare to have you fingers bent back and possibly get punched in the nuts. Crackback blocks 40 yards from a play breaking a guys jaw. I get technically it's involved in playing football. A football field is a bar and there won't be any charges filed against him.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
Banned (2 Days): Hostility over a series of posts
lol you kids are so predictable nowadays. If someone kicks you in the dick, then you get up and walk away and they come back and try to punch you in the dick or grab your dick you just standing there watching?

Hey clown im not a fucking kid.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
That isn't Antonio Brown and he swung it never connected.

During Saturday night's Texans-Dolphins preseason game, a one-on-one between defensive end Antonio Smith and offensive guard Richie Incognito escalated when Smith ripped Incognito's helmet off of him and swung it at his head, just missing the target.
Whoops, did i type Brown... LOLOLOL. And yes, he did connect, thats the only reason he got 4 gaes. The rules are clear a swing is an ejection it's the connection that get the additional games. In the video you even hear Glazer start to say.. "full on into..." before he points out the ref being right there.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
They often don't involve playing football. You ever been in a pile trying to get a loose football? Prepare to have you fingers bent back and possibly get punched in the nuts. Crackback blocks 40 yards from a play breaking a guys jaw. I get technically it's involved in playing football. A football field is a bar and there won't be any charges filed against him.
I don't think charges will be filed either, but that "technically" is important in legal terms. The NFL (and the NFLPA) don't want the precedent of players getting arrested for dirty hits during plays, so that would never happen.

But swinging a helmet at a player's head during a brawl is just pure violence, it has nothing to do with the game at that point. It's like I mentioned in my original post, the difference between injuring someone with a soccer tackle and slamming his head into a post while play has stopped.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Brady has played in over 50 more games than Russel Wilson and Cam Newton in the last 10 years and has gotten 2 less RTP penalties than Newton and is tied with Russel Wilson, not sure why Brady is always the poster boy of complaints about roughing the passer

Because when you see players get flags for barely touching Brady's helmet while Cam and Russ have been driven into the ground and hit in the head with no calls, people are going to start to have questions. A part of that is both Cam and Russ are far more mobile than Brady, and all the scrambling behind the line of scrimmage behind offensive lines that haven't been as good as Brady's throughout his career also could play a factor into that stat.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Care to wager on that. lol
You can keep asking that as much as you want, but I'm not taking the bait. The NFL is historically inconsistent and unbalanced when it comes to player punishment. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if they got this wrong as well.

But common sense says the NFL will not want to drag this out or draw anymore attention to it than it already has. They want this to go away. So they will suspend him for the rest of the season and then quietly reinstate him in the off season omce the attention is gone and nobody will bat an eye. They are not going to continue to ban one of the most promising players in the league for over a year for his first offense even though it was an egregious one. It's not in their best interest and the NFL always acts in its own best interest at all times.

I look forward to saying I told you so though lol