• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
49ers vs Titans Superbowl let's go! But what's a Patriots fan to do? Support Vrabel and Logan Ryan or Jimmy G?

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Titans will beat the Chiefs. They are a power running ball control team that plays great defense. They are the historical high powered offense killer we have seen many times before in the NFL.
It will be interesting. I'm not convinced they are a great defense yet despite being very impressed by what they've done. Baltimore was able to move the ball relatively easily, but just couldn't finish. Stopping that Chiefs offense from scoring is going to be a pretty high task... they're just so fast with so many options

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Accidentally posted in the old thread:

I have to say, I don't think i'll ever tire of seeing Henry stiff arm Earl into oblvion. He stiff arm'ed him so hard earl lost direction and turned into a fucking blocker.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Titans will beat the Chiefs. They are a power running ball control team that plays great defense. They are the historical high powered offense killer we have seen many times before in the NFL.

The Titans do not play great defense as a rule this season, and honestly didn't necessarily play great defense against the Ravens. The Ravens manufactured 500 yards of offense, and 20+ first downs, but the Titans made several drive ending plays (with plenty of help from Ravens miscues).

Titans were middling in defensive dvoa on the season, and certainly do not have the personnel to force their will on the Chiefs defensively. This isn't to say they can't win, this is to say that the Chiefs have a clear advantage in this matchup. But, any given Sunday is definitely a thing.

Oct 28, 2017
California
I want the Niners to utterly demolish the Packers again.

Does it mean it will happen? Who knows, but I like how Kyle is getting the team to not take this game for granted. Read a Tweet that he's saying it's stupid to expect the same results as last time, and he's making sure the players know that.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
So you're saying the Titans should try to change their identity and morph into a pass heavy team overnight and hope that works out against one of the most talented passers the NFL has ever seen? Interesting, interesting.

The formula for them winning is the same as against the Ravens (another game everyone said they couldn't win, don't forget). Control the clock, don't make mistakes, hit a few big plays, and make a few stops on defense.

If the Titans go down by double digits in this game it's probably over, Tannehill isn't putting the team on his back and winning a shootout.

Pass first. Calling the Titans a predominately running team is a false narrative, this is not the same shit squad it was when Murray was getting the ball too many times a game. They won against the Ravens because of their commitment to passing early in the game. Ravens were more efficient running in that game in the first quarter, it was the titans defense and ST that spotted them points and scoring opportunities, which allowed their passing game to thrive off that, they went right for a kill shot after the 4th down miss instead of running the ball.

Titans do not need to be run-heavy, as their identity is providing a deadly accurate and highly efficient passing attack, don't let Henry's yardage imply something different. They need to run smart, which is to say not on early downs and favor a passing game which is complimented by Henry's ability to pick up short yardage and scoring ability down near the goalline.

Titan's have too many great weapons through the air to stick to some dead-era football and run in walls and punt just because you want to keep the ball away from Pat Mahomes a little less. The goal is the score the most points, not score the least. When you set out to control the ToP so the other team also does not score, hopefully, if your defense has a good game and is able to stop them enough times is not only a dumbass strategy (See cowboys football for the past 5 seasons), it is just an inefficient way to play. WIth defense performance varying wildly throughout game-to-game and mostly being a result of the offense you play, I cannot see you bringing that mindset of a ball-control attack into Arrowhead and hoping for the best.

Last edited:

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
I have found the perfect qb for the Raiders as they head to Vegas.

peyton.jpg

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Very quiet on the Eagles front and what they plan to do at OC, WR Coach, and DB coach. Makes the abrupt firing of OC and WR coach (less than 24 hrs after Doug said they would be back) even worse. Are the guys they wanted gone? Not interested? Or were they waiting on someone from LSU?

Still shocked that Greg McElroy of all ppl broke the news that they are firing the OC.

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
I guess I'd want Tennessee out of the AFC, but I don't mind the Chiefs and like Andy Reid. So, either way, I guess. But the Packers better beat SF. Two weeks of hype about Nick Bosa might be too much to handle.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Pass first. Calling the Titans a predominately running team is a false narrative, this is not the same shit squad it was when Murray was getting the ball too many times a game. They won against the Ravens because of their commitment to passing early in the game. Ravens were more efficient running in that game in the first quarter, it was the titans defense and ST that spotted them points and scoring opportunities, which allowed their passing game to thrive off that, they went right for a kill shot after the 4th down miss instead of running the ball.

Titans do not need to be run-heavy, as their identity is providing a deadly accurate and highly efficient passing attack, don't let Henry's yardage imply something different. They need to run smart, which is to say not on early downs and favor a passing game which is complimented by Henry's ability to pick up short yardage and scoring ability down near the goalline.

Titan's have too many great weapons through the air to stick to some dead-era football and run in walls and punt just because you want to keep the ball away from Pat Mahomes a little less. The goal is the score the most points, not score the least. When you set out to control the ToP so the other team also does not score, hopefully, if your defense has a good game and is able to stop them enough times is not only a dumbass strategy (See cowboys football for the past 5 seasons), it is just an inefficient way to play. WIth defense performance varying wildly throughout game-to-game and mostly being a result of the offense you play, I cannot see you bringing that mindset of a ball-control attack into Arrowhead and hoping for the best.
Strategically working in pass plays at the right time has been a staple of this revived Tennessee team so I'm definitely not suggesting they abandon that. But it feels like you're arguing for a gameplan that focuses on Tannehill out-dueling Mahomes and if that's your plan you might as well not even bother making the trip to Arrowhead.

You realize the Titans have had 31 passing attempts and 77 rushing attempts in their two playoff wins, right? Don't tell me their identity isn't run heavy, lol. You have it backwards, Tannehill's deep balls and play action passes compliment the beef of their offense which is Henry's running ability - not the other way around.

I mean honestly at this point I have to ask... have you watched the Titans play recently? You're literally asking them to be a team they aren't, and to implement a gameplan that's the polar opposite of what got them to this point.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Sunday still hurts.

Go Pack... ugh... I mean go Nine... ugh. I'll probably forget to watch this game.

I'm on the Titans bandwagon for the rest of the season.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
SUPER BOWL 1 REMATCH AKA STATE FARM BOWL
NINERS V. CHEFS AKA JOE MONTANA BOWL
PACKERS/TITS AKA MIDWEST BOWL
NINERS-TITANS AKA...SUPER BOWL 54?

OP
OP
Himynameischris
Oct 25, 2017
Strategically working in pass plays at the right time has been a staple of this revived Tennessee team so I'm definitely not suggesting they abandon that. But it feels like you're arguing for a gameplan that focuses on Tannehill out-dueling Mahomes and if that's your plan you might as well not even bother making the trip to Arrowhead.

You realize the Titans have had 31 passing attempts and 77 rushing attempts in their two playoff wins, right? Don't tell me their identity isn't run heavy, lol. You have it backwards, Tannehill's deep balls and play action passes compliment the beef of their offense which is Henry's running ability - not the other way around.

I mean honestly at this point I have to ask... have you watched the Titans play recently? You're literally asking them to be a team they aren't, and to implement a gameplan that's the polar opposite of what got them to this point.
Tenn already won in a shoot out against the Chiefs, Tannehill hasn't throw more because he hasn't needed to, not because he can't.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Tenn already won in a shoot out against the Chiefs, Tannehill hasn't throw more because he hasn't needed to, not because he can't.
Tannehill was 13/19 for 181 yards and 2 TD's. Henry still had 188 yards rushing with 2 TD's and they still ran the ball more than they passed (26 vs 19). Mahomes threw the ball 50 times. I wouldn't really call that a shootout, looks more like the recipe for most Titans wins.

I'm not saying Tannehill can't do more than what we've seen in the playoffs but I think it's crazy to argue that he should be the focal point.

OP
OP
Himynameischris
Oct 25, 2017
Tannehill was 13/19 for 181 yards and 2 TD's. Henry still had 188 yards rushing with 2 TD's and they still ran the ball more than they passed (26 vs 19). Mahomes threw the ball 50 times. I wouldn't really call that a shootout, looks more like the recipe for most Titans wins.

I'm not saying Tannehill can't do more than what we've seen in the playoffs but I think it's crazy to argue that he should be the focal point.
The thing with Tannehill is his ridiculous efficiency, Reids offense rely on a ton of screens (sound familiar?) hence Mahomes insane pass count whereas Tannehill had the highest YPA in the league, when he's passing he's pushing the ball downfield and scoring TDs at a ridiculous rate (something like 31 red zone tds to 1 red zone fg if I remember correctly) I agree tho, the focal point shouldn't be on Tannehill, the run game and the pass game compliment each other wonderfully and they should keep doing it, for the Ravens game they came out passing, built up a lead and had Henry run out the clock.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Chiefs v. 49ers and I think it'll be one helluva Super Bowl.

I just refuse to believe or endure the Chiefs losing a 2nd straight AFC Championship game at home...

dred

Oct 27, 2017
The thing with Tannehill is his ridiculous efficiency, Reids offense rely on a ton of screens (sound familiar?) hence Mahomes insane pass count whereas Tannehill had the highest YPA in the league, when he's passing he's pushing the ball downfield and scoring TDs at a ridiculous rate (something like 31 red zone tds to 1 red zone fg if I remember correctly) I agree tho, the focal point shouldn't be on Tannehill, the run game and the pass game compliment each other wonderfully and they should keep doing it, for the Ravens game they came out passing, built up a lead and had Henry run out the clock.
I think one of the main reasons for Tannehill's crazy efficiency and YPA is the identity of the Titans. They're a physical team that always has the threat of Derrick Henry and they need a QB with good arm strength and accuracy on deep balls to punish teams for crowding the box and cheating up on play-action. Tannehill is that guy. We saw plenty of offenses in Miami that tried to make Tannehill and the passing game the focus and he's just not the kind of guy who can consistently perform at a high enough level for that to work, especially without a good o-line and talent around him.

Like I said, strategically timed pass plays are a huge part of this offense and they will need them to have a chance of beating the Chiefs, but if the Titans are forced to throw the ball much more than they run I just can't see them winning against this offense.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
If Godgers becomes reincarnated, Niners are toast. We need the resurrection to happen this Sunday. Don't let me down!

Oct 27, 2017
As a Chiefs fan I can't believe anyone would just write us in. A history of devastating losses plagues us. Titans already beat us and are a matchup nightmare. We'll prob need at least 40 points.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017

Correlation Is not Causation,. You know why they ran so much, I can tell you right now they did not win because they ran, they ran because they were winning. You do not need to run the ball to set up play-action, this has been proven, you also don't want to run into repeated walls against a team like the chiefs because you think that some fairy tail "imposing of will" breaks down the defense when you establish the run early on. Titan's are an efficient passing team with multiple weapons at their disposal and need to be smart about their gameplan. Early down passing and utilizing play action to deadly effect with their downfield weapons is a better strategy early on than thinking "We ran a lot more than passed, so we are a running team". Again, this kind of offense does not lead to continued success as it relies on too many variables that are not stable, such as defensive performance. See Dallas, who won nothing because they held onto the belief that early-down rushing was more important than allowing their QBs to thrive.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
As a Chiefs fan I can't believe anyone would just write us in. A history of devastating losses plagues us. Titans already beat us and are a matchup nightmare. We'll prob need at least 40 points.

Chiefs had that Tennessee game wrapped up. A series of unbelievable things happened at the end of that game to give it away. For the majority of the game, it wasnt even close. Here is the win probability throughout to emphasize the point.

kDYFdZn_d.jpg

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Correlation Is not Causation,. You know why they ran so much, I can tell you right now they did not win because they ran, they ran because they were winning. You do not need to run the ball to set up play-action, this has been proven, you also don't want to run into repeated walls against a team like the chiefs because you think that some fairy tail "imposing of will" breaks down the defense when you establish the run early on. Titan's are an efficient passing team with multiple weapons at their disposal and need to be smart about their gameplan. Early down passing and utilizing play action to deadly effect with their downfield weapons is a better strategy early on than thinking "We ran a lot more than passed, so we are a running team". Again, this kind of offense does not lead to continued success as it relies on too many variables that are not stable, such as defensive performance. See Dallas, who won nothing because they held onto the belief that early-down rushing was more important than allowing their QBs to thrive.
I think you are grossly underestimating the ability, value, and special nature of Derrick Henry. And you keep talking about running on early downs when I already said strategically timed passes are a huge part of the Titans offense.

Also, I watched almost every game Tannehill played in Miami so I'm pretty familiar with his style and what he's capable of. He's a very good, bordering on great, QB that is heavily benefiting from the dominant, physical nature of this offense.

Let's make this a little more concrete. What do you think the Titans pass/run ratio should be in this game?

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I think you are grossly underestimating the ability, value, and special nature of Derrick Henry. And you keep talking about running on early downs when I already said strategically timed passes are a huge part of the Titans offense.

Also, I watched almost every game Tannehill played in Miami so I'm pretty familiar with his style and what he's capable of. He's a very good, bordering on great, QB that is heavily benefiting from the dominant, physical nature of this offense.

Let's make this a little more concrete. What do you think the Titans pass/run ratio should be in this game?

Running backs, even great ones, still do not add as much expected value as even a competent passing day, that is the sad truth.

I would hope Titans are smart enough to not rely on early-down rushing attempts, their end of the game ration can be fuck all. They have a incredibly well-balanced passing game, don't shy away from it, and don't shy away from 4th downs and they have a real good chance to win this game.

Last edited:

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not writing them in but I am favoring them.
This isn't week 10. Mahomes is not just coming back from a dislocated knee, several of our defensive starters will be back (hopefully Chris Jones is ready to go,) and most importantly that offense is in rhythm and red hot. They had week 10 won if not for two freak incidents in the last moments of that game.

Also yes the Titans can run the ball and burn chunks off the clock but so what when the Chiefs can score in 30 seconds from the 10 . If the Titans fall behind even one score, can they make it up and take the lead? Are they built to come from behind, are they built to get into a shootout? As good as Tannehill has been playing I say no, they lose that game.

I think if the Chiefs get the lead at any point they keep it.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
Yall are getting too deep in actual football analysis in here. Where is all the "You have a guy affiliated with your team that looked at a Trump supporter once!" posts?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not writing them in but I am favoring them.
This isn't week 10. Mahomes is not just coming back from a dislocated knee, several of our defensive starters will be back (hopefully Chris Jones is ready to go,) and most importantly that offense is in rhythm and red hot. They had week 10 won if not for two freak incidents in the last moments of that game.

Also yes the Titans can run the ball and burn chunks off the clock but so what when the Chiefs can score in 30 seconds from the 10 . If the Titans fall behind even one score, can they make it up and take the lead? Are they built to come from behind, are they built to get into a shootout? As good as Tannehill has been playing I say no, they lose that game.

I think if the Chiefs get the lead at any point they keep it.
Agreed getting the lead is rather important in this one. At this point you have to make Tannehill beat you.