• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I think ravens titans will be a shootout but ravens still win by a fair margin

chiefs ravens (assuming Texans lose) will be their real challenge

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ

Well see you all in 2021

I've been saying they won't make changes. For many reasons but mainly cause Doug runs the show. The offense is his baby. What OC are they even going to attract to join the team where they can't call the plays? Unless they bring in someone completely young and new

The WRs sucked but how much of it was due to injuries? If Alshon and DeSean are fully healthy all season, how different is the production? At this point their careers, the issue is age and injuries, not that they aren't being coached right by a WR Coach.

Does JJAW develop faster under a different coach or did he just come in well behind where they thought he would be? Mack Hollins has sucked from before and I doubt he amounts to anything anywhere. But if Walch and Groh are to blame for guys like Hollins and JJAW, do they get credit for Ward?

I personally believe the bigger issue is the lack of talent and injuries. Get better players and that's on Howie. Fix WR and CB and with the same coaching staff, I see 3-4 more wins.

EDIT - and even if they were going to make some changes, I doubt they would announce it now and today. They can always make a change down the road in the off-season and chalk it up to whatever reason they want, but he wasn't going to throw his assistants under the bus or announce they are fired today.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Brady to LA. Rivers to NE. Belichick taking Rivers to the Super Bowl would finally separate his legacy from Tom's.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Raven's players seem AWFULLY cocky about this game, especially considering they haven't played football in almost 3 weeks.

I think the Titans are going to pull off the upset, and get revenge for when we were the 1 seed and the Ravens (5th seed i think) came in and did the same thing to us divisional weekend.

Who is acting cocky? I personally think Titans was the worst matchup we could've gotten in the divisional round, since we've had a lot of trouble containing good RBs this year.

For some reason I can't shake the feeling that the Ravens aren't reaching the Super Bowl this year. They're absolutely the most talented team but they're also very young. This does feel like a trap game (which seems absurd in the playoffs but it is what it is). Even if they pull off the win this week, I feel like they'll lose to Kansas City next week.

They've proven pretty clearly this year that they aren't gonna fall to trap games. Titans can definitely win Saturday but it's not gonna be a trap game. Ravens might come out a bit rusty in the passing game but they'll figure it out by the second quarter I'd say.

And yeah if we win and play KC next weekend that'll be a very tough game. But again, even if they lose either game I wouldn't call it a trap game, or say it's because they're a young team. They have a lot of veteran leadership on the team that keeps everyone grounded.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Also, I didn't see or hear the PC live but reading up on Twitter now, I see that Howie said something about adding some new staff to the FO which is to be announced in the upcoming days.

Intrigued. Maybe the guys who scouted and recommended JJAW over DK Metcalk are being fired/replaced.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Who is acting cocky? I personally think Titans was the worst matchup we could've gotten in the divisional round, since we've had a lot of trouble containing good RBs this year.

They've proven pretty clearly this year that they aren't gonna fall to trap games. Titans can definitely win Saturday but it's not gonna be a trap game. Ravens might come out a bit rusty in the passing game but they'll figure it out by the second quarter I'd say.

And yeah if we win and play KC next weekend that'll be a very tough game. But again, even if they lose either game I wouldn't call it a trap game, or say it's because they're a young team. They have a lot of veteran leadership on the team that keeps everyone grounded.
A few of the interviews on the NFL network, the players have just given an air of they think this is going to be a cakewalk. I agree, it's good to be confident. I'm just saying with basically a 3 week break, and a young team, if that mentality comes back to bite them if the Titans come out and score quick + plus get some 3 and outs.

Fantomex

Oct 25, 2017
The Rams are releasing most of their coaching staff. Even Bones is gone. HOwever it seems Bones was free to go wherever he wanted and chose Dallas. I'm gonna miss that guy.

Jul 18, 2018

Remember how we adjusted for Chubb. Williams and Pierce are more than ready. The main issue with Henry vs teams is the lack of tackling, coming into Baltimore, the Ravens have 5th fewest missed tackles. Ravens vs Chubb early on, lack of tackling made him have a game. Rematch, the # of tackles increased and thus limited. Basically only way to contain him is to involve Pierce, WIlliams and bring cb in to help tackle/contain. Henry vs Patriots -> How many of them managed to even bother tackling him?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
A few of the interviews on the NFL network, the players have just given an air of they think this is going to be a cakewalk. I agree, it's good to be confident. I'm just saying with basically a 3 week break, and a young team, if that mentality comes back to bite them if the Titans come out and score quick + plus get some 3 and outs.

All I've really seen is people talking about how tough it'll be to bring down Henry. I think Earl Thomas talked about how the Patriots DBs weren't trying hard enough to tackle him or something but I saw that as more of a compliment to Henry than anything else.

Remember how we adjusted for Chubb. Williams and Pierce are more than ready. The main issue with Henry vs teams is the lack of tackling, coming into Baltimore, the Ravens have 5th fewest missed tackles. Ravens vs Chubb early on, lack of tackling made him have a game. Rematch, the # of tackles increased and thus limited. Basically only way to contain him is to involve Pierce, WIlliams and bring cb in to help tackle/contain. Henry vs Patriots -> How many of them managed to even bother tackling him?

The issue will be our DBs tackling him if he breaks through the line or gets around the edge, which is the problem we had with Mostert against the 49ers. I don't really have that much confidence in our guys consistently doing that over and over.

The best way to win this game will be to run up the score as early as possible to limit his carries.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

You don't know this Ravens team then. That's how they've acted all season. It's not them being cocky. They're just extremely loose and have tons of fun playing with each other. Just watch any press conference from any point in the season of them and you'll see the exact same thing.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

Well see you all in 2021

giphy.gif

So we could lose Jim but keep the worst 2? Philly is gonna get eaten alive in 2020 if they play it safe again.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Reminder who Philly plays next season

NFC West
AFC North
The Usual East
PACKERS
SAINTS

And Pederson wants to keep Groh

YellowNegligibleAnnashummingbird-size_restricted.gif

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying they won't make changes. For many reasons but mainly cause Doug runs the show. The offense is his baby. What OC are they even going to attract to join the team where they can't call the plays? Unless they bring in someone completely young and new

The WRs sucked but how much of it was due to injuries? If Alshon and DeSean are fully healthy all season, how different is the production? At this point their careers, the issue is age and injuries, not that they aren't being coached right by a WR Coach.

Does JJAW develop faster under a different coach or did he just come in well behind where they thought he would be? Mack Hollins has sucked from before and I doubt he amounts to anything anywhere. But if Walch and Groh are to blame for guys like Hollins and JJAW, do they get credit for Ward?

I personally believe the bigger issue is the lack of talent and injuries. Get better players and that's on Howie. Fix WR and CB and with the same coaching staff, I see 3-4 more wins.

EDIT - and even if they were going to make some changes, I doubt they would announce it now and today. They can always make a change down the road in the off-season and chalk it up to whatever reason they want, but he wasn't going to throw his assistants under the bus or announce they are fired today.
Bring in Caldwell. He's the QB coach in Miami so he isn't calling plays anyway and OC is a step up.

As for the WRs, Djax and Alshon sure. But Agholor regressed, JJAW was straight up confused at times, and there were multiple issues with receivers lining up correctly. Alright, you want to say JJAW was behind and didn't know the playbook? Then do what good coaches do! Just tell him to do the things he's good at! And certainly don't bench him for 10 weeks and have him learn the entire playbook for every WR position after a bad drop in a Week 3 game. Get him out there running a limited route tree doing what he knows to get him experience. Beyond being a contested catch monster in the redzone in college, he was also really good at go/fade routes and going up to snatch the ball. Remember his first big catch in the Giants game? The over the shoulder one? What was that? A go route! People bring up DK Metcalf, but guess what? He ran like 4 routes all year, because that's what he was good at. They didn't try to make him run every route in the book and throw him out there. They played to his strengths, and that was with Brian Schottenheimer calling the plays. I still believe in JJAW and believe the coaching staff absolutely failed him.

And no, Ward (and Boston Scott) is the biggest condemnation of them. Ward had been in the building for 3 years (Scott 1). He knew the playbook, and if you want to give them credit for developing him, then they would've seen his talent in practice. So you're telling me that they had this promising young receiver who could get separation and catch the ball reliably, and they left him on the bench to throw Mack Hollins out there? And then when he flamed out, instead of giving Ward a chance, they signed Jordan Matthews off the street? Same with Scott, you had this explosive young player that fits a perfect mold in your offense, and your RBs are dropping like flies. And instead of giving him a chance, you sign Jay Ajayi off the street. Both Ward and Scott only got playing time because the coaching staff's hand was forced and they ended up saving the season. So no, they don't credit for Ward. It's the bigggest mark on their resumes

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
giphy.gif

So we could lose Jim but keep the worst 2? Philly is gonna get eaten alive in 2020 if they play it safe again.

There is also this:

I wouldn't take what Doug said today as etched in stone. Do I think Walch and Groh will be back? Yes but I am also not taking Doug's answers today as the end-all. If they make changes I won't be shocked. They can always come up with some reason or excuse later. His follow up answers to questions are all over the place.

Eagles beat writer Jeff McLane also says he got the impression Howie admitted that the core group of guys who won the SB, their window is closing with them. So guys like Peters, Sproles, Darby, Bradham, Agholor....guys who are too old or FAs won't be back. A lot of new faces to be expected. Howie also said they expect to add new ppl to the FO, which will be announced soon. Hopefully, they did some self-evaluation and of course, Joe Douglas is gone, so they do need to add some new ppl.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to both of them! I wish them long careers in Philadelphia!

They'll definitely need these two when they play the toughest division in the NFC and the toughest division in the AFC both next year, with a 1st place schedule too!
Just gotta win the division to get into the playoffs. If the Eagles aren't as injured as this year, which should be impossible, I feel pretty good about that

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't take what Doug said today as etched in stone. Do I think Walch and Groh will be back? Yes but I am also not taking Doug's answers today as the end-all. If they make changes I won't be shocked. They can always come up with some reason or excuse later. His follow up answers to questions are all over the place.

Eagles beat writer Jeff McLane also says he got the impression Howie admitted that the core group of guys who won the SB, their window is closing with them. So guys like Peters, Sproles, Darby, Bradham, Agholor....guys who are too old or FAs won't be back. A lot of new faces to be expected. Howie also said they expect to add new ppl to the FO, which will be announced soon. Hopefully, they did some self-evaluation and of course, Joe Douglas is gone, so they do need to add some new ppl.
I know they are already making changes in the med staff and yeah, the old faces are about to drive off anyways, Miles, Ward and Scott better stay because they made it work but the draft is very key to filling in the holes. Also Jenkins contract is up for renewal now and Ertz's is after next season or after 2021 I think.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Reminder who Philly plays next season

NFC West
AFC North
The Usual East
PACKERS
SAINTS

And Pederson wants to keep Groh

YellowNegligibleAnnashummingbird-size_restricted.gif

Groh doesn't call the plays. If anything he was one of the better WR coaches they had. He helps design the plays and I am sure is involved with the gameplan but again this is Doug's show. If you are going to blame someone, blame him.

Plus I firmly believe the larger issue is talent and the injuries. Both of which Howie and his team have to look at and address.

Bring in Caldwell. He's the QB coach in Miami so he isn't calling plays anyway and OC is a step up.

As for the WRs, Djax and Alshon sure. But Agholor regressed, JJAW was straight up confused at times, and there were multiple issues with receivers lining up correctly. Alright, you want to say JJAW was behind and didn't know the playbook? Then do what good coaches do! Just tell him to do the things he's good at! And certainly don't bench him for 10 weeks and have him learn the entire playbook for every WR position after a bad drop in a Week 3 game. Get him out there running a limited route tree doing what he knows to get him experience. Beyond being a contested catch monster in the redzone in college, he was also really good at go/fade routes and going up to snatch the ball. Remember his first big catch in the Giants game? The over the shoulder one? What was that? A go route! People bring up DK Metcalf, but guess what? He ran like 4 routes all year, because that's what he was good at. They didn't try to make him run every route in the book and throw him out there. They played to his strengths, and that was with Brian Schottenheimer calling the plays. I still believe in JJAW and believe the coaching staff absolutely failed him.

But all of this should be directed at Doug. Gym Shortz runs the D by himself and Doug devotes himself to the offense. These are issues for Doug to address. Even if his staff is failing him in these matters, he has to step in and correct them. I completely agree with you about JJAW and I have high hopes for him in year 2. He will be better prepared and hopefully playing alongside better healthier WRs. But his shortcomings this year (to me) are more on Howie and Doug first and foremost and then Groh and Walch. And if Doug is failing to realize their shortcomings and not firing them, then again that's on him.

And I am right there with any coach they want to bring as a consultant or an extra pair of eyes. Howie already said some new faces will be joining the FO. Doug seemed a little taken aback by the suggestion of adding new eyes to his offense but then he said he always thinks about it. Maybe they will make changes, maybe they won't. But today's comments are NOT final IMO. I'd love to add someone like Caldwell.

And no, Ward (and Boston Scott) is the biggest condemnation of them. Ward had been in the building for 3 years (Scott 1). He knew the playbook, and if you want to give them credit for developing him, then they would've seen his talent in practice. So you're telling me that they had this promising young receiver who could get separation and catch the ball reliably, and they left him on the bench to throw Mack Hollins out there? And then when he flamed out, instead of giving Ward a chance, they signed Jordan Matthews off the street? Same with Scott, you had this explosive young player that fits a perfect mold in your offense, and your RBs are dropping like flies. And instead of giving him a chance, you sign Jay Ajayi off the street. Both Ward and Scott only got playing time because the coaching staff's hand was forced and they ended up saving the season. So no, they don't credit for Ward. It's the bigggest mark on their resumes

I just disagree with this notion and we won't know who was forcing these players on who. Who was forcing Mack Hollins on them? Howie? Doug? Or were Groh and Walch seeing something that wasn't there? and then who ultimately made the correction?

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
I know they are already making changes in the med staff and yeah, the old faces are about to drive off anyways, Miles, Ward and Scott better stay because they made it work but the draft is very key to filling in the holes. Also Jenkins contract is up for renewal now and Ertz's is after next season or after 2021 I think.

On the last point, the cap is going up again, and the Eagles will have plenty of room to do things as they see fit. I don't know what the FA class is looking like for each position of need, but I can see them signing Byron Jones (CB) from Dallas. I don't think he fits into Dallas's plans moving forward if they pay Dak and Amari. Instant upgrade and starter for the Eagles.

I don't see them signing any of the big DE FAs, as most will be franchised by their current teams, and the WR Class is pretty week as well (AJ Green is another often injured 30+ WR). Maybe they go after Robbie Anderson? I mean I wouldn't mind any of these guys (including Green) if they can make the money work.

But mostly the cap can be used to extend guys they want around (like Ertz and Jenkins) and you just know they will continue to restructure a lot of the base salary to bonuses so it doesn't count against the cap. Ward and Scott will definitely return.

Jul 18, 2018
All I've really seen is people talking about how tough it'll be to bring down Henry. I think Earl Thomas talked about how the Patriots DBs weren't trying hard enough to tackle him or something but I saw that as more of a compliment to Henry than anything else.

The issue will be our DBs tackling him if he breaks through the line or gets around the edge, which is the problem we had with Mostert against the 49ers. I don't really have that much confidence in our guys consistently doing that over and over.

The best way to win this game will be to run up the score as early as possible to limit his carries.
Difference is the 49ers have a better line than the Titans. McGllnchey was able to block our defenders over and over again. They even used Kittle and James to provide key blocks on those big Mostert plays. You don't see that in the Patriots game. On top of it this was all in the first half. Second half, Mostert was contained better

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Today I learned former Jets quitter Al Groh has a 50 year old son that is an Offensive Coordinator for the Eagles

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Difference is the 49ers have a better line than the Titans. McGllnchey was able to block our defenders over and over again. They even used Kittle and James to provide key blocks on those big Mostert plays. You don't see that in the Patriots game. On top of it this was all in the first half. Second half, Mostert was contained better

Yeah I am pretty confident in our coaches' abilities to adjust, but I just don't think we've seen an RB like Henry this year. I still think it''ll be a rough game if we can't get out to a big lead early.

Jul 18, 2018
Yeah I am pretty confident in our coaches' abilities to adjust, but I just don't think we've seen an RB like Henry this year. I still think it''ll be a rough game if we can't get out to a big lead early.
Yea true, this was not the matchup i wanted either but the team chemistry and attitude is off the charts for us. The Big Truss attitude from last season getting even bigger this season has got me backing this team with so much confidence. I haven't felt this confident in the team in a long time, its crazy.

Fantomex

Oct 25, 2017
Only cause Dillard was a backup all yr!

Why are the Rams letting these guys go? Bones was excellent for them.

It seems everyone regressed this year on special teams and the Rams weren't willing to even hear what Dallas offered him and let him go. There was a game this year where the Rams called a fake and it blew up in our face. You could see Mcvay on the sideline mouthing "What the hell were you thinking?". And it turns out it was Bones calling the play. Zeurlein had his accuracy drastically go down, his kickoffs would go out of bounds, and in general we can't get decent kick returns anymore from our guys. One one hand, I'm sad, but on the other hand, it seems Mcvay is not willing to accept anything less than 11 wins per season and is holding everyone accountable. So much so, that the talk around here is that he is going to hire an Offensive Coordinator that challenges his game plans and doesn't just accept him as an offensive genius. He supposedly had Wades defense figured out since last year, and in practices the offense would do great against them in the red zone. It seems Wade also wouldnt change with the times to be more scheme based and that made it easy to let him go. McVay sees the game being about matchups and attacking weaknesses, just like Bellichick seems to do. I can understand why he's letting all the people go. I just don't want an influx of Washington people getting hired. I'm cool with Gruden but that's about it.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Raven's players seem AWFULLY cocky about this game, especially considering they haven't played football in almost 3 weeks.

I think the Titans are going to pull off the upset, and get revenge for when we were the 1 seed and the Ravens (5th seed i think) came in and did the same thing to us divisional weekend.

They've played plenty of football these last 3 weeks. They just haven't played in a game. They are one of the best coached teams in the league, they ain't gonna come in rusty.

Titans are about to be outclassed.

That's said, I would have much rather played the Texans, than play they Titans.

Oct 25, 2017
Someone tell that dumb dog Dega that there's no way in HELL Tom Brady will be a Buc next year.
He can go suck somewhere else!

I WILL NOT TAKE ONE FOR THE TEAM GOD DAMMIT!

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
They've played plenty of football these last 3 weeks. They just haven't played in a game. They are one of the best coached teams in the league, they ain't gonna come in rusty.

Titans are about to be outclassed.

That's said, I would have much rather played the Texans, than play they Titans.
I'm confident in the Raven's ability to win as well but still promising a Superbowl is really daring fate.

Fantomex

Oct 25, 2017
Tony Romo might have his contract bought out so he can do MNF full time. I hope it's not a rumor because that's really good.