• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it the more the Eagles draft bothers me. Of course, I know nothing, don't watch college football, and can and will be 100% wrong but I feel like they could have gotten a similar talent RB at a later pick. Instead of Miles at 53, they could have selected one of the top defensive players, especially to help the safety position. Even the DE they took from Penn State seems like a guy most thought should have gone much later and is a big project. The QB they selected is awful and they should have waited to select him as UDFA.

That said I do like the UDFAs they picked up. They hopefully find a contributing or starting LB and OLINE depth from the group they signed after FA.

Also interested to see who the Eagles had from the remaining FA pool. Some of the most interesting remaining names include:

Ziggy Ansah
Eric Berry
Ndamukong Suh
Corey Liuget
Michael Crabtree
Jamie Collins
Tre Boston
Jay Ajayi
Derrick Morgan
Muhammad Wilkerson
Shane Ray
Zach Brown
So the more I think about it, the more I'm okay with the draft, especially when you take into account the other moves made. So on defense, if either of the Devins weren't there, I didn't care at all about LB. The Eagles have plenty of developmental LBs, if they couldn't draft an immediate starter (which those two were the only ones imo), don't bother addressing it all all. I wanted them to grab a DT, but the great ones were off the board and they did address it in other ways. In addition to the actual draft picks, the Eagles spent a 7th on Hassan Ridgeway and they signed Timmy Jernigan back. Those two, combined with Malik, addresses my DT concerns. At DE I wanted them to draft a guy but again, most of the guys I wanted were off the board at the picks, and they also have BG, Barnett, Curry, and Sweat, in addition to Miller. I'm concerned about Barnett returning from injury and Sweat developing, and I hope Long returns, but that's looking unlikely. The only thing I really wished they did differently was draft a safety, but I guess they're comfortable with Maddox and Sendejo as the backup guys, which is fine assuming the secondary doesn't have to start literally 10 different DBs next season

As for the offensive side, they targeted the positions I wanted, just not necessarily the players. I get why they chose Dillard tho and he'll be a great fit. I'm more down about Sanders since Henderson was there and I'm just not sure about Sanders. I don't think he'll bust or anything, but I think it's most likely he turns out just "solid". Which is good, just not what I'd want to spend a 2nd rounder on. Hopefully he can develop in pass pro and receiving, although I still think the Eagles will need another RB once Howard leaves. They also got DJax for a 6th, a move I really love. The Eagles spent years trying to find his replacement and the offense is at its best when there's a speed threat, even if it was Torrey Smith. You can't get much better of a speed threat than DJax.

Finally there's JJAW (skipping Thorson because who cares about him). He's a player I like, and I'm fine with taking him on the board. Especially since like you said, he has a game like Alshon, and with Alshon being injured a lot and getting close to 30, it's good to get a successor in early. And in the redzone the Eagles could now have 4 targets over 6"3'. So in a vacuum I like the pick and fit in the offense. My only concern is if it's the right fit for Wentz. An underrated note is how Jeffery has had the worst stretch of his career playing for Wentz, despite Wentz at his best throwing into tight windows with regularity, and Alshon excelling in tight window contested catches. But I think that's because there's really two types of tight windows. 1 is when there's great coverage and the QB has to throw with anticipation and touch to place it in a spot where only his receiver can grab it. Like all those throws where the receiver's route hits the tiny hole in a zone coverage for like .5 seconds and the QB fits it in that window. Those are the types of tight window throws Wentz excels at. But the other type of tight window throw are those contested, 50/50 balls where the QB throws it up and trusts his receiver to either make the catch or prevent the INT. Where the receiver just outmuscles the defender. Those are the types of throws that Alshon (and JJ) are great at and where they shine. The reason they're good receivers is because they can make those 50/50 throws 80/20. But those are also the throws that Wentz doesn't make very often. Wentz is always gonna scan the field and look for the open guy. That's why Ertz was targeted so heavily, since he was always open for 6-7 yards since he's so good at route running and finding the soft parts of zone coverage. But Wentz will do that even if another receiver is 1 on 1 and should be able to make the contested catch if Wentz just gives it a chance. If Wentz can improve in making those faith throws, then JJ is a great pick, and we'll also finally see Alshon be what he used to be. If not, I dunno if JJ or Alshon will ever fully pan out in Philly

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody know of good IDP resources? Specifically where can plug in your custom scoring to get some rankings and potentially mock. If was summer time, would be easy, but have an IDP dynasty expansion draft (moving from team D to IDP) and would like more info then just stock rankings if that makes sense. Some better projection info with tailored scoring.

Tagging UberTag as thought you may know something. I've been looking and haven't find anything with what I'm looking for this early in the year.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.webp

I'm looking at the Vegas odds for Super Bowl championships and I just can't figure it out. How the hell is Kansa City supposed to be better this year than last year when they lost their starting running back and their #1 WR as well? Somebody teach me. I gotta be missing something.
Vegas odds haven't reflected the Hill stuff since nothing official has happened yet. They don't update it on every rumor or change in players this early.

All the Vegas stuff means is that people think the best two teams from last year (Patriots & Chiefs), continue to have the best chance of winning the Superbowl this year. Doesn't mean people think the team is better. It's all about how they did last year.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Anybody know of good IDP resources? Specifically where can plug in your custom scoring to get some rankings and potentially mock. If was summer time, would be easy, but have an IDP dynasty expansion draft (moving from team D to IDP) and would like more info then just stock rankings if that makes sense. Some better projection info with tailored scoring.

Tagging UberTag as thought you may know something. I've been looking and haven't find anything with what I'm looking for this early in the year.
DynastyLeagueFootball.com is probably your best resource at this early date. As they have extensive, up-to-date IDP rankings in addition to rookie rankings based on last week's draft. That said, I'm not sure they have rankings where the rookies are consolidated into the overall IDP list but they have a good chunk of their content blocked off via a paywall so it's possible that's a thing if you pony up for a membership.

Footballguys.com usually has some updated IDP resources online by now but they appear to be dragging their feet this year.

Last edited:

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
DynastyLeagueFootball.com is probably your best resource at this early date. As they have extensive, up-to-date IDP rankings in addition to rookie rankings based on last week's draft. That said, I'm not sure they have rankings where the rookies are consolidated into the overall IDP list but they have a good chunk of their content blocked off via a paywall so it's possible that's a thing if you pony up for a membership.

Footballguys.com usually has some updated IDP resources online by now but they appear to be dragging their feet this year.

Have checked both those. FBG has some rankings up, and their good. Will probably use them, but I like how with their drafting app in the summer can tailor the scoring your league to get a more customizable ranking list. Always looking for a leg up, but knew it was just too early for any of the major sites to have mock drafting apps out.

OP
OP
Fantomex

Fantomex

Oct 25, 2017
Vegas odds haven't reflected the Hill stuff since nothing official has happened yet. They don't update it on every rumor or change in players this early.

All the Vegas stuff means is that people think the best two teams from last year (Patriots & Chiefs), continue to have the best chance of winning the Superbowl this year. Doesn't mean people think the team is better. It's all about how they did last year.

ywrng.gif

"We figure Hill will miss at least eight games, if not the whole year," said Westgate vice president of risk management Ed Salmons, who made a half-win adjustment on the Chiefs because of Hill's status. Still, SuperBook director John Murray said he's so enamored with Mahomes that he remains unfazed by the news surrounding Hill. "To me, Kansas City is still the best team in the NFL even without Tyreek Hill," Murray said. "There's no doubt that could be a big loss for the Chiefs because he's so explosive in the passing game, [but] Mahomes is just such a terrific player. I actually think the Chiefs are going to be fine."

The odds take into account that HIll will miss 8 games. My point stands. Mahomes is being counted on to bail them out of a lot of trouble and not regress in his second full year. It's ridiculous. Of course his turnovers are gonna go up. He also could get hurt this year from trying to do to much.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
So the more I think about it, the more I'm okay with the draft, especially when you take into account the other moves made. So on defense, if either of the Devins weren't there, I didn't care at all about LB. The Eagles have plenty of developmental LBs, if they couldn't draft an immediate starter (which those two were the only ones imo), don't bother addressing it all all. I wanted them to grab a DT, but the great ones were off the board and they did address it in other ways. In addition to the actual draft picks, the Eagles spent a 7th on Hassan Ridgeway and they signed Timmy Jernigan back. Those two, combined with Malik, addresses my DT concerns. At DE I wanted them to draft a guy but again, most of the guys I wanted were off the board at the picks, and they also have BG, Barnett, Curry, and Sweat, in addition to Miller. I'm concerned about Barnett returning from injury and Sweat developing, and I hope Long returns, but that's looking unlikely. The only thing I really wished they did differently was draft a safety, but I guess they're comfortable with Maddox and Sendejo as the backup guys, which is fine assuming the secondary doesn't have to start literally 10 different DBs next season

As for the offensive side, they targeted the positions I wanted, just not necessarily the players. I get why they chose Dillard tho and he'll be a great fit. I'm more down about Sanders since Henderson was there and I'm just not sure about Sanders. I don't think he'll bust or anything, but I think it's most likely he turns out just "solid". Which is good, just not what I'd want to spend a 2nd rounder on. Hopefully he can develop in pass pro and receiving, although I still think the Eagles will need another RB once Howard leaves. They also got DJax for a 6th, a move I really love. The Eagles spent years trying to find his replacement and the offense is at its best when there's a speed threat, even if it was Torrey Smith. You can't get much better of a speed threat than DJax.

Finally there's JJAW (skipping Thorson because who cares about him). He's a player I like, and I'm fine with taking him on the board. Especially since like you said, he has a game like Alshon, and with Alshon being injured a lot and getting close to 30, it's good to get a successor in early. And in the redzone the Eagles could now have 4 targets over 6"3'. So in a vacuum I like the pick and fit in the offense. My only concern is if it's the right fit for Wentz. An underrated note is how Jeffery has had the worst stretch of his career playing for Wentz, despite Wentz at his best throwing into tight windows with regularity, and Alshon excelling in tight window contested catches. But I think that's because there's really two types of tight windows. 1 is when there's great coverage and the QB has to throw with anticipation and touch to place it in a spot where only his receiver can grab it. Like all those throws where the receiver's route hits the tiny hole in a zone coverage for like .5 seconds and the QB fits it in that window. Those are the types of tight window throws Wentz excels at. But the other type of tight window throw are those contested, 50/50 balls where the QB throws it up and trusts his receiver to either make the catch or prevent the INT. Where the receiver just outmuscles the defender. Those are the types of throws that Alshon (and JJ) are great at and where they shine. The reason they're good receivers is because they can make those 50/50 throws 80/20. But those are also the throws that Wentz doesn't make very often. Wentz is always gonna scan the field and look for the open guy. That's why Ertz was targeted so heavily, since he was always open for 6-7 yards since he's so good at route running and finding the soft parts of zone coverage. But Wentz will do that even if another receiver is 1 on 1 and should be able to make the contested catch if Wentz just gives it a chance. If Wentz can improve in making those faith throws, then JJ is a great pick, and we'll also finally see Alshon be what he used to be. If not, I dunno if JJ or Alshon will ever fully pan out in Philly

Fair enough and as I said, I don't watch any college ball so a lot of my opinion is based on the mocks, combine, and draft analysis. I both like and dislike the Sanders pick. I want running the ball and to have a dynamic game changing RB a thing for the Eagles but I just know even with an elite OLINE, Pederson won't prioritize the run game. And even when they do it will be a rotation with Howard and Clement. If they only run ball 18-24 times a game, how many carries is Sanders getting? All of my concern disappears if they decide to run the ball more. It would be one way to protect Wentz from his worst tendencies.

I do agree that they have starters all across the DL and have depth, but the issue here is that most of this came from trades and FA and not what was considered a historically good DLINE draft. In fact, the word is they really wanted DT Wilkins and tried to move up for him. So they wanted one of these guys and failed. Settling for Jernigan and Ridgeway seems like a consolation prize. Again great depth and if Jernigan is right he is really good starting DT.

As for the JJAW pick, this might actually be my favorite pick cause I keep imagining him in the red-zone packages with both TEs and opposite Alshon. All 4 targets would be 6'3 and above. As for Alshon, I just think his first two seasons have had so much instability that we can't really judge him and Wentz correctly yet. He started off slow in 17 but by the end of the year, he and Wentz had a great connection. I just don't think in this offense he is ever going to put up eye-popping stats, but he is a clear cut #1 who makes things easier for everyone around him, including his QB. If JJAW provides anything similar to Alshon, I will love him as a player. Looking at DeSean as a 6th round pick up is a great way to look at it. Same with Howard.

Who knows. Maybe its the backend picks which really confused me when some decent DT, DE, and S talent was still on the board. Hate the QB they selected too.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
So the next mini-wave of FAs to be picked up will be after May 7th correct? That's when teams can pick up players without it being factored into the compensatory picks formula.

Hopefully, the Eagles add some vets, an LB and S, please!

OP
OP
Fantomex

Fantomex

Oct 25, 2017
That dude talks like Lionspride most of the time and then all of a sudden he sounds like Greg in the text conversation. This don't add up.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The whole Hill situation seems like a complete shit show. I don't trust either parent. I can't imagine that text is fake though, given that it's being submitted as evidence. It sounds like all of this stems from an ugly custody/separation, and I have no doubt that both sides will have "evidence" to show that the other is the bad guy. Even in the unlikely scenario that Hill had no part in abusing his son, he should still be suspended for that audio recording.

Also:

This sounds like total nonsense. Paylor has a good summary of info on his Twitter btw. Sounds like it's not even clear if the investigation has actually been reopened.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping the NFL metes out justice because the judicial system is incapable, impotent or incompetent might be the most ridiculous thing that's ever happened.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile

Good people

Edit
Well she deleted the tweet. For the record it was Hill's wife responding to a story about hitting children as punishment, and saying no one can tell her how to punish her child.

Last edited:

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading that letter, they're submitting this stuff as evidence so maybe it holds some truth? Idk, I'm sure we'll hear more soon. The whole chest tap thing isn't a big deal if true. He's just tapping him and telling him to buck up and stop crying, my dad used to do the same kind of thing.