• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
0ap3000001031556.jpg

30k less seats, I'll be at work when they release tickets at 0200, fuck making sure white people stay alive at 0200. I'm getting a ticket.

jakncoke

Nov 5, 2017
there is plenty of football talk during the season fam.

I tried explaining that to the guy I invited that wasnt from our group. I tried to explain to him that we werent going gaze and discuss in essay form over training camp body signings or how sweet that shirtless 7 on 7 pass was. That the real football talk starts back up when season gets close. He wasnt believing it.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried explaining that to the guy I invited that wasnt from our group. I tried to explain to him that we werent going gaze and discuss in essay form over training camp body signings or how sweet that shirtless 7 on 7 pass was. That the real football talk starts back up when season gets close. He wasnt believing it.

Yeah but you can barely speak English

Oct 25, 2017
lol is he still around? he can come back in august when things ramp up again. Not sure what people expect to talk about right now other than a few signings or someone getting hurt/arrested

jakncoke

Nov 5, 2017
lol is he still around? he can come back in august when things ramp up again. Not sure what people expect to talk about right now other than a few signings or someone getting hurt/arrested

I know he started his own discord recently, but I think he went back to his others. He was mentioning something the official NFL discords have a discord for each team or something. So he probably going to stick around there I guess. Maybe he was overwhelmed by the chaos that was going on that weekend in there idk lol

Oct 25, 2017
I know he started his own discord recently, but I think he went back to his others. He was mentioning something the official NFL discords have a discord for each team or something. So he probably going to stick around there I guess. Maybe he was overwhelmed by the chaos that was going on that weekend in there idk lol
Oh yeah it was especially crazy that weekend, well maybe he'll come back when it's football time.

OP
OP
Fantomex

Fantomex

Oct 25, 2017
there is plenty of football talk during the season fam.

I completely disagree. Even during the full swing of the season or game day, you will find the current discord chat to be even more insular then typical OT Era forums are. For some of us that's cool. However I've invited people before who were semi-regular posters or new posters and they mentioned the atmosphere on the discord was not their cup of tea. I will not mention what subject matters they complained about, because discord and era don't abide by the same rules, but I can honestly say their complaints/reservations made a lot of sense. I just don't want new discord additions to be blindsided by what they read when they join right now.

Oct 25, 2017
I completely disagree. Even during the full swing of the season or game day, you will find the current discord chat to be even more insular then typical OT Era forums are. For some of us that's cool. However I've invited people before who were semi-regular posters or new posters and they mentioned the atmosphere on the discord was not their cup of tea. I will not mention what subject matters they complained about, because discord and era don't abide by the same rules, but I can honestly say their complaints/reservations made a lot of sense. I just don't want new discord additions to be blindsided by what they read when they join right now.
I mean that's the general chat though which yeah anything goes and I'm sure people find it weird, but the football channel is very much alive and well during game day, much more than here.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
I don't think he is a HOF but he isn't far off. If he had one ring he'd be in for sure. Vinny might have thrown for more than Aikman too but he never had success in the playoffs.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

According to the club's co-owner, Jones became enraged when a dancer began taking the money without his permission. He allegedly grabbed her by her hair and slammed her head on the stage. A security guard intervened and scuffled with members of Jones' entourage of half a dozen people. Jones then allegedly threatened the guard's life.[53]During this time, Mitchell and a male associate left the club with a garbage bag filled with $81,020 and two Breitling watches, which police later recovered.[54] After club patrons left following the original confrontation, the club owner claimed a person in Jones' entourage returned with a gun and fired into a crowd, damaging equipment and hitting three people, including a security guard. The guard was shot twice, and one of the people hit—former professional wrestler Tommy Urbanski—was paralyzed from the waist down.

"Turbulence"

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I don't think he is a HOF but he isn't far off. If he had one ring he'd be in for sure. Vinny might have thrown for more than Aikman too but he never had success in the playoffs.

I'm not sure I'd put him in even with a ring. The second half of his career was really nothing better than average, and it's not like he was ever the "best" QB in the league. His only really great year came in 04, but EVERYBODY had a great year in 04.

If he never got hurt I'm sure the second half of his career would've gone different, but I'm not sure 5 and a half great years for a position that regularly maintains success for 12-15 now is enough.

Post 05 Mcnabb was just a totally different QB.

If Joe Namath is a Hall of Famer, every qb is a Hall of Famer

HOF QBs typically lift the fortunes of 1 franchise.

Joe lifted 10

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017

Why is Aikman the barometer QBs use to judge their worth? People really underrating Aikman and it is the cruelest form of recency bias

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Aikman the barometer QBs use to judge their worth? People really underrating Aikman and it is the cruelest form of recency bias

Because Aikman's raw stats don't really stand out and he's in the Hall mostly on the strength of those 3 titles. I think Aikman was really good but if he hadn't won the perception of his career would be far different (as it is for most QBs)

foppy79

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Looking through the archives and found a quite the piece on 2011 QBs from chuckddd (I apologize)

I finished watching Gruden's qb camp series last night. I looked at them like I was a gm with a 30 minute interview during the combine. Really, just looking to answer two questions: Does this guy love football and does this guy know football. My personal assessments follow:

Cam Newton - Physically talented buy does not have any grasp of pro football. You can let him loose in an offense and hope he makes plays, but if you want to make a top flight qb out of him, he needs to sit and learn. There probably won't be a camp this year, so we're looking at 3-4 years for him to learn enough to make the correct protection calls, audibles and have a good grasp of a pro offense. Newton needs to go somewhere with good coaching and a qb already in place. Best bet: Buffalo, where he can sit behind Fitzpatrick. Worst bet: Carolina, where he will immediately be thrown to the wolves.

Ryan Mallet - Has a cannon for an arm. Reminds me a lot of Jeff George. Basically, an artillery emplacement. He seems to have a good grasp of advanced passing routes, but nothing on the protection side of things. Will need some work and also can't be thrown to the wolves behind a team with a suspect line, as he will get drilled. Repeatedly. Discounting his personal issues, which could easily end his career, he may be ok in a hand it off/go deep offense. Best bet: Raiders, Al Davis is readying himself. I suggest rors do the same. Worst bet: Any team with a crappy o-line.

Andy Dalton - This is probably my favorite qb out of the group. Should be a later pick, so not too much pressure or investment. Played in a spread pro style offense, was free to audible his own plays and won. Won a lot. He doesn't have any of the rare physical gifts of a Mallet or Newton et al. I believe he's the oldest of this group and his release may need to be retooled. He may hold a clipboard for 10 years, or he could be a steady starter for a team that won't overly rely on the passing game. Best bet: Niners, in the second round and with Frank Gore being the feature of the offense, he could be alright. Worst bet: Any team taking him too early and expecting him to be the savior.

Blaine Gabbert - Gruden just jammed the idea of protection down his throat. He took a lot of big shots playing in that 5 receiver set of Missouri's. That said, Gabbert is awesome on the run. This is a big plus for a young qb. The NFL: Where running for your life happens. Also seems to have a good grasp on advanced passing routes. Of course, running 5 men wide allows you to see the defense well and create mismatches. It can also get you 3 broken ribs and a concussion. From watching some of his film, it looks like his footwork will fall apart under pressure. So, he needs work learning the pro game, taking snaps and keeping his mechanics straight. I think it would be best if Gabbert had a true training camp, at least, to get ready. Best bet: Buffalo, same as Newton with an advanced time table. Worst bet: None. He'll be alright where ever, I believe.

Jake Locker - Gruden's fave. Has a firm grasp of pro offenses. Played in a pro-style offense and it shows. Takes way too many chances. Both throwing the ball and running with it. Tends to get hit a lot. Tends to throw the ball into coverage. Tends to make errant throws. Tends to play like he has a concussion. Gruden made the excuse that he was tired/hurt that led to his bad play. I can't disagree, but Locker needs to make massive adjustments to his mechanics and decision making. However, out of all the guys, he appears to have the greatest love of football. And that goes a long way. Best bet: Colts/Pats - He can sit and learn from the best while he works out the quirks in his game. Worst bet: Anyone looking for an immediate upgrade.

Nick Fairley - Worst qb ever. Immobile. Large. Would make a hell of a 3 technique.
This gave me a good laugh, especially the Gabbert part

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I don't disagree. I'm saying why people often discount him. His traditional stats, the sexy numbers like TD passes and yardage, don't stand out.

I understand, I just find it funny when he is the poster boy for it, Aikman had one of the best arms in the league during that era, he would have thrived on any team

Last edited:

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Aikman was in the Hall for his singular ability to make Joe Buck seem semi-knowledgable.

Looking through the archives and found a quite the piece on 2011 QBs from chuckddd (I apologize)

This gave me a good laugh, especially the Gabbert part
Did...did you just browse gaf?!

Man I miss Gru. I know there were a lot of dumbasses that wanted him gone and I blame all of you for cursing us with Witten! I hope Mayock fires Chuckie soon so he can come on home.