• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
The only thing San Fran needs to do in order to stay at their current level is to tell Shanahan to not let off the gas late in games.

The rest of the NFC is playing catch up to them.

No, their front office is going to have to be creative with some contracts this off season.

There's a good chance they'll lose Armstead, which will impact their line, and both Sanders and Bourne are free agents. They've got few draft picks and the cap is tight.

Barring any injuries, they'll still be a top team in the NFC, though.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ

Not sure if its "big news" but ok. Don't know what the Jags are doing. They barely have a home crowd in Jax and now two games in London? back to back?

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure if its "big news" but ok. Don't know what the Jags are doing. They barely have a home crowd in Jax and now two games in London? back to back?

That's kind of shit for the visiting team. Jags will have no jet lag for the 2nd game

Crazy thought: the league as a whole should unretire one of Concord jets and use it to transport visiting teams to London

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
492514c000ebffb0835bfdeac473b99d.jpeg

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018

Distance makes the heart grow fonder. By going such long stretches with no games at home, they will be artificially driving up demand, and Jaguar fans will be practically beating down the doors to get into the stadium when they come back.

AdventurousAbleBrahmanbull-small.gif

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of shit for the visiting team. Jags will have no jet lag for the 2nd game

Crazy thought: the league as a whole should unretire one of Concord jets and use it to transport visiting teams to London

Only if the team is based on the east coast, and they want to come up off a lot of money for fuel.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Colts hiring Eagles former OC Groh as their new WRs coach.

good hire. he was a good WRs coach in Chicago and Philly and took the brunt of the blame as OC when IMO the problems were largely due to the lack of talent and all the injuries.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Sean Payton is just a skinny Mike McCarthy, and Pete is starting to show his age as a coach too.

Ask yourself honestly now, how many Super Bowls does Green Bay win in the past 10 years with Sean Payton as head coach?

I think I'll retract my thoughts on Pete Carroll because I will never understand the call to pass it on the goal line in the Super Bowl.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Wilson is so good with Pete as his coach and Brian fucking Schottenheimer as his OC makes me realize that if they ever get a competent OC Wilson will run this league.

So hopefully Pete never gets someone good.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saints have consistently had more talent than the Packers. It's highly unlikely they'd have more titles with Payton. We're talking about the same coach who lost to the Vikings at home, right? Or choked at home against the Rams? Or lost on a Hail Mary to the Vikings? Or got torched by Alex Smith? Payton had one good run and only won because of a catastrophic collapse by the Vikings.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the same amount he's won with the saints

I don't really recall many seasons where a Sean Payton team didn't do pretty consistently well on offense unlike a few of the Packer teams have.

I can't imagine Sean Payton having Aaron Rodgers playing poorly and basically having zero answers on how to fix it.

I also can't imagine Sean Payton looking at Brett Hundley and either thinking "he's the guy" nor being completely incapable of getting some decent offensive production out of him.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Saints have consistently had more talent than the Packers. It's highly unlikely they'd have more titles with Payton. We're talking about the same coach who lost to the Vikings at home, right? Or choked at home against the Rams? Or lost on a Hail Mary to the Vikings? Or got torched by Alex Smith? Payton had one good run and only won because of a catastrophic collapse by the Vikings.
pretty much every successful NFC team finds its success due to a collapse by the Vikings.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure every team that loses feels motivated immediately after losing

I think I would have retired if I was on the Warriors after that collapse against the Cavs. Busting your butt all season to get the best record ever only to choke at the last second? That would be brutal to come back from.

I guess the '07 Patriots were similar but it didn't feel as "all out" at the time. They were just really good and the 50/50 games went their way... until it didn't.

Football is also a flukey sport. A whole season is a small sample size. It's gotta be easy to talk yourself into being up for a revenge tour when you only have to play 19 games.

Yep. Remember thinking the same thing back in 2017.

Kyle Shanahan >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Steve Sarkisian

Tough to sustain excellence when you lose your best asset.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I would have retired if I was on the Warriors after that collapse against the Cavs. Busting your butt all season to get the best record ever only to choke at the last second? That would be brutal to come back from.

I guess the '07 Patriots were similar but it didn't feel as "all out" at the time. They were just really good and the 50/50 games went their way... until it didn't.

Football is also a flukey sport. A whole season is a small sample size. It's gotta be easy to talk yourself into being up for a revenge tour when you only have to play 19 games.
I think most sports require just the amount of talent and luck. A ball bounces the opposite way a few times and things change.

I mean the Niners forced 3 fumbles and didn't recover any of them. If we recover the 2 Mahomes fumbles alone the narrative changes significantly. It's just how it goes.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think most sports require just the amount of talent and luck. A ball bounces the opposite way a few times and things change.

I mean the Niners forced 3 fumbles and didn't recover any of them. If we recover the 2 Mahomes fumbles alone the narrative changes significantly. It's just how it goes.

Yeah, but football is even flukier. One game deciding the championship instead of a series makes it super exciting but it also means the better team can often lose. I don't think that's the case Sunday (KC was terrifying for a reason) but I often feel like the better team didn't win the title. I still think KC was better than New England last year or, like, the 98 Niners (and Packers) were better than the 98 Broncos. But one bad break can doom you.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the game favored SF the way it was played, big time. They just needed 1 or 2 aggressive, risky plays to take it, of the '09 Saints/'17 Eagles variety. Also, I can't really blame JImmy G for much. He didn't get any playoff reps hardly, the Niners never let him off the leash at any point. Removing his last interception in desperation time, he essentially managed the game with a single pick.

We all kind of knew his abilities. That said there should have been some more designed plays to get Kittle involved. He's probably the biggest advantage SF had, if you're KC you're thrilled with the game he had.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the game favored SF the way it was played, big time. They just needed 1 or 2 aggressive, risky plays to take it, of the '09 Saints/'17 Eagles variety. Also, I can't really blame JImmy G for much. He didn't get any playoff reps hardly, the Niners never let him off the leash at any point. Removing his last interception in desperation time, he essentially managed the game with a single pick.

We all kind of knew his abilities. That said there should have been some more designed plays to get Kittle involved. He's probably the biggest advantage SF had, if you're KC you're thrilled with the game he had.

There were a couple instances where they got Kittle open but Jimmy didn't see him. I mean we can criticize Shanahan (and with reason) but if Jimmy doesn't over throw an easy TD to Sanders with like a minute left the Niners probably have a ring. A combination of questionable decisions by Shanahan and Jimmy's obvious limitations equally cost the Niners the Super Bowl.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jimmy was doing everything we needed him to do for the first 3 quarters. He was like 18/21 or something along those lines. Dude was in a zone and making easy completions.

Then the 4th quarter happened and he completely fell apart. He just wasn't seeing the field and missed so many open players. I don't know what happened but it was such a weird thing to see considering all season he always made the right play and the right reads.

The Chiefs started blitzing and it through him off his game. He had handled pressure well earlier in the season, too. All the credit to the Chiefs for knocking him around and getting him off his game.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Ask yourself honestly now, how many Super Bowls does Green Bay win in the past 10 years with Sean Payton as head coach?

I think I'll retract my thoughts on Pete Carroll because I will never understand the call to pass it on the goal line in the Super Bowl.
Aaron Rodgers has won a Super Bowl more recently than Drew Brees

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Jimmy was doing everything we needed him to do for the first 3 quarters. He was like 18/21 or something along those lines. Dude was in a zone and making easy completions.

Then the 4th quarter happened and he completely fell apart. He just wasn't seeing the field and missed so many open players. I don't know what happened but it was such a weird thing to see considering all season he always made the right play and the right reads.

KC was pressuring the fuck out of him in the 4th. The numbers bear it out. Like most non-eliteQBs, Jimmy falls apart when defenders can get at him and rattle him.

His numbers when pressured in the SB were dismal. His numbers off non-play action were also terrible.

Jimmy is a lot closer to Jared Goff than he is Tom Brady.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
KC was pressuring the fuck out of him in the 4th. The numbers bear it out. Like most non-eliteQBs, Jimmy falls apart when defenders can get at him and rattle him.

His numbers when pressured in the SB were dismal. His numbers off non-play action were also terrible.

Jimmy is a lot closer to Jared Goff than he is Tom Brady.
Jimmy was great against the blitz all season. He was bad in 3 games I believe; Pittsburgh, the first Seattle game, and now the Super Bowl.

I never said he was Tom Brady and I don't think anyone would say he is in Brady's category.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Hope they stay hungry and fucking motivated.

Plus we should be getting Blair and Jones back healthy, our D was at its best when they were rotated in and out.

If it were only that simple. If all it required to become a champion was "hunger" and "motivation". As if every other contending team isn't "hungry" and "motivated".

As with most teams, maybe this collection of talent will be back. Maybe they never will see a Super Bowl together again. How many teams have we seen over the years that we were like, "oh yea they'll get back to the SB again, prob next year!" only for them to be forgotten. Saints, Falcons, Seahawks, Packers, Colts, Eagles, Bears, so on and so on and so on. Because as it turns out, football is very hard to predict. Injuries are inevitable. Mistakes and luck may or may not be on your side.

Good luck to them, but the odds are definitely not in their favor.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Aaron Rodgers has won a Super Bowl more recently than Drew Brees

Aaron Rodgers has never been hamstrung by the worst defense in the history of the NFL that somehow got worse every following season for 3 straight seasons in a row.

The only reason the Saints even went 7-9 instead of 0-16 three straight seasons was because Brees could be counted on to score 35 points a game almost half the time.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Aaron Rodgers has never been hamstrung by the worst defense in the history of the NFL that somehow got worse every following season for 3 straight seasons in a row.

The only reason the Saints even went 7-9 instead of 0-16 three straight seasons was because Brees could be counted to score 35 points almost half the time.
Uh, what?

The 15-1 Packers had the worst defense in the league and Rodgers was carrying awful Dom Capers defenses for years. Before this season, the best defense the Packers have had since their Super Bowl year was in 2015 when the defense was ranked 12th in points allowed and 15th in yards allowed. The Packers have had bottom half of the league defenses for almost a decade straight.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Uh, what?

The 15-1 Packers had the worst defense in the league and Rodgers was carrying awful Dom Capers defenses for years. Before this season, the best defense the Packers have had since their Super Bowl year was in 2015 when the defense was ranked 12th in points allowed and 15th in yards allowed. The Packers have had bottom half of the league defenses for almost a decade straight.

Bottom half bad isn''t the same as legendarily bad. It wasn't until the 2019 Dolphins came along that there was a worse defense (points allowed wise I believe) and they were losing on purpose.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Bottom half bad isn''t the same as legendarily bad. It wasn't until the 2019 Dolphins came along that there was a worse defense (points differential wise I believe) and they were losing on purpose.
The Saints have had bad defenses too but saying Rodgers hasn't been hamstrung by awful defenses is a lie.

The 15-1 Packers at that time gave up, I believe, the second most yards in the history of the league (funny enough the Saints eclipsed this the very next year)