• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Minority coach who's actually been to a Super Bowl gets fired.

Mediocre white coaches like Kitchens, Schurmur, Garrett and Quinn keep their jobs.

Gee I wonder why.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I wouldn't hate Rivera as a hire but I'm not dying to land him either but worlds above Shurmur and McAdoo. It would be such a Gettleman thing to happen if he's here next season but DG shouldn't feel safe either. But the team is also in need of major staff turnover beyond the HC.

Hal Hunter should really be the first guy out the door. I know we don't take stuff like PFF to heart but when Ereck Flowers is grading higher at LG than Will Hernandez something's got to give. Solder was absolutely overpaid but he can't possibly be as bad as he has looked out there. Bettcher should go too. The rookies can't (or won't--looking at you, Baker) grasp his scheme and he does nothing about it. DBs are constantly miscommunicating and the rookies are getting no help even if it's from guys like goddamned Bethea.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Well, shit. The Riverboat finally sank. I guess losing to the Redskins was the final straw. Giants should be the next team to fire their coach asap.
If the cowboys lose to da bears, garret needs to go the next day, who gives a fuck if we'll still make the playoffs because the eagles suck more than we do

StrmSrg

Oct 26, 2017
Louisiana
Clinching the playoffs first is cool but this game has a good chance of deciding the 1 seed. Armstead isn't likely but if he practices today that's a good sign. Need Lattimore to be close to 100% or else PJ has to come out again. Dropped TDs and penalties on offense must be negated for once as well. Saints haven't played a complete game yet this year and that just doesn't seem like an option this week. I like our chances though. There's not been as many convincing blowout wins compared to last year, but there have been a lot of gut checks that have been passed convincingly.

GEAUX SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gettyimages-458143248_70.jpg

Pictured above: The best of friends now separated by cruel circumstances.

Real talk, I think of all the other NFC South HCs in the last decade Rivera was probably the one I respected the most. I think he gets another job real soon. Browns seems like the best option IMO

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Real shit: Rivera was far from the issue in Carolina and he's a damn good coach. He gets conservative a little too much for my liking but he has shown the ability to adapt.

He will get hired this offseason, as long as he still wants to coach.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Damn. Riverboat Ron has played his last hand in Carolina, but I think he'll land on his feet. I don't think he's the root of the Panthers issues.

That being said, this upcoming Carolina-Atlanta game is going to be a shitshow.

Edit:
Evidently Norv Turner is gone too? ok, new era for the Panthers I guess

Aug 26, 2019
Yeah, I def agree that Garrett should be fired on Friday if that happens. Especially since they prob should have fired him a long time ago.
Garrett isn't getting fired, his contract just won't be extended. And I actually agree with Jerry's reasoning, coaching changes now when you have a playoff spot in reach is never a good decision. Because you never know what can happen..

nothing will happen

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Minority coach who's actually been to a Super Bowl gets fired.

Mediocre white coaches like Kitchens, Schurmur, Garrett and Quinn keep their jobs.

Gee I wonder why.

I honestly thought Ron Rivera was Italian until this post.

Strategically, it's kinda interesting that they let him go when their quarterback situation is so tentative. Will they let their next coach decide who is going to play quarterback?

Striker

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't hate Rivera as a hire but I'm not dying to land him either but worlds above Shurmur and McAdoo. It would be such a Gettleman thing to happen if he's here next season but DG shouldn't feel safe either. But the team is also in need of major staff turnover beyond the HC.

Hal Hunter should really be the first guy out the door. I know we don't take stuff like PFF to heart but when Ereck Flowers is grading higher at LG than Will Hernandez something's got to give. Solder was absolutely overpaid but he can't possibly be as bad as he has looked out there. Bettcher should go too. The rookies can't (or won't--looking at you, Baker) grasp his scheme and he does nothing about it. DBs are constantly miscommunicating and the rookies are getting no help even if it's from guys like goddamned Bethea.
It's all about Mara. Hoping Tisch does the right thing and gets him away from making football decisions and just lets the GM choose his own coach and decide what's best for the team.

That said, Shurmur is gone on Black Monday. Bettcher might not make it til then, but PS is. Thankfully, as you said, once the head coach is gone, I don't forsee Hal Hunter staying. God knows why they decided fo hire him in the first place.

DocTarHeel

Oct 25, 2017
Rivera getting fired was just a matter of time. Having only 3 winning seasons in 9 years with a MVP level QB and a future HOF MLB is pretty inexcusable. Plus the Panthers defense is a bottom 10 group this year despite all the resources poured into that side of the ball and the fact that Ron is a defensive minded headcoach. You can't really pull the "but Cam is hurt" card when the defense is so bad.

No real advantage to sticking out the season to get fired at the end. At least this way other coaches get some experience and he gets a head start on interviewing for other HC jobs. Plus getting paid and still getting a few weeks off to spend with the family over the holidays isn't a bad deal either.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
So who's gonna get him?

i'm fucking pissed off. If Robbie struggles or gets injured again, and a playoff team with a shitty kicker gets him...and we end up getting their shitty kicker....and we face each other? Fuck that.

would rather sacrifice depth at another position.

Last edited:

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Panthers boy here.
Owner is full of himself. Didnt even let Ron finish the season. Guy buys a team and clearly knows nothing about football but wants instant results with backup QB. He acts as if hes going to force us to be the 2015 team lol.

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Does anyone know if the titans were ahead of the eagles in waiver priority or not? I was sure that the eagles would put in a claim for him.
I think, after the trade deadline, they start using the records from this current year instead of draft order from last year for the waiver claims. I could be wrong, though. But yeah, Eagles should have had a shot, I believe.