• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Who accused him in the first place? Another player or another ref?
No one on the ice.

Also, if it did happen why would the league lie and say it didn't, knowing at any moment some clip from a fan might hit youtube showing it clear as day? Or that peeps online would dissect the various angles and feeds looking for it?

I get cynicism when it comes to the NHL, but I don't think they would pretend something like that never happened at all if it did. Just would be too dumb to even attempt.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one on the ice.

Also, why would the league lie and say it never happened, knowing at any moment some clip from a fan might hit youtube showing it clear as day? Or that peeps online would disssect the various angles and feeds looking for it?

I get cynicism when it comes to the NHL, but I don't think they would pretend something like that never happened at all if it did. Just would be too dumb to even attempt.

Fair enough. Interesting to see Carcillo try to bring up head trauma in that twitter thread. =/

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I am loath for anything good to ever happen to the Oilers but...

I have to admit, it would almost be fun to see them go on a tear and squeak in. Mainly because Draisaitl has turned into a top 10 player in the league the last month or so, it's been crazy impressive.

But more likely, the Oilers do just well enough to tease their poor damned fans and then end the season on a 3 game losing streak or something... which would also be fun ;)

EDIT: apparently he hasn't been impressive enough for me to learn how to spell his name yet

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
No one on the ice.

Also, if it did happen why would the league lie and say it didn't, knowing at any moment some clip from a fan might hit youtube showing it clear as day? Or that peeps online would dissect the various angles and feeds looking for it?

They do it all the time with headshots and other plays that deserve a suspension so why not here?

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one team you want to latch onto as a young developing player, it's the 2019 Ottawa Senators.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Reading Twitter replies to the Lighting/Maple Leafs game was really sad. So many people either shrugged it off by saying "who cares" or "what happens on the ice stays on the ice," or discovered an obscure phrase and pretended like it was common. It's fine if Rielly didn't say it, but all that means is a Leafs fan in the crowd did say it.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully SJ is well pleased with their win last night against the Wild and take it easy tonight.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
The Sens have always been good at convincing NCAA free agents to sign. Murray was always in the mix for the top unsigned guys and even managed to sign a bunch. None of them panned out though.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Lol it never gets old reading the leaf hate on here.

Hell I get it to a degree. As a fan we are a frustrating team to watch.

Glad it turns out he didn't say it though. No place for that shit anywhere in this day and age. Tired of reading comments that excuse it or minimise the language. It's harmful and unnecessary language.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Lol it never gets old reading the leaf hate on here.
Here for you fam.

D1fBsZNWwAMpItc.png:large

Oct 25, 2017
The Sens have always been good at convincing NCAA free agents to sign. Murray was always in the mix for the top unsigned guys and even managed to sign a bunch. None of them panned out though.
Would be interesting to see which team has signed the most over the last, like, 5 years.

Canucks signed Princeton D Josh Teves, presumably distant cousin of Carlos Teves. He is not one of the more promising available players, so I wonder if the Canucks set their sights low? Hopefully not done.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
If you're a NCAA free agent it probably makes a lot of sense to pick a team based mostly on opportunity. Better to play middle six minutes on a shit team and hopefully get some counting stats going and set yourself up for a second contract.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't at all my intention to sound like a Leaf hater--I was even trying to make sure I didn't!

It's only incidental that it happened at a Leafs game. That doesn't really matter. What was frustrating to see is that people were commenting on the news to soften a player's alleged homophobic language with their own homophobia. Those people claiming it's just part of the game tacitly support it. And now that it's confirmed Rielly didn't say it, the argument that "it stays on the ice" doesn't have any premise--it's defending hateful language on the ice when there wasn't even any, so it's just aimless hatred. Maybe it's a relief that Rielly didn't say it, but responses to the reporting last night imply that they think it's okay for people to be like that and use that language. It doesn't mean it's reflective of an entire fan base, it was just plainly saddening to see.

Oct 25, 2017
If you're a NCAA free agent it probably makes a lot of sense to pick a team based mostly on opportunity. Better to play middle six minutes on a shit team and hopefully get some counting stats going and set yourself up for a second contract.
I remember being surprised when Zach Aston-Reese signed with Pittsburgh. But obviously he felt he could make the team either way (he's played a bit in the AHL) and wanted success alongside Crosby/Malkin.

Opportunity and maybe an assurance of ice time (if they're good enough) is everything for these players. Every team has been able to sign them.

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't at all my intention to sound like a Leaf hater--I was even trying to make sure I didn't!

It's only incidental that it happened at a Leafs game. That doesn't really matter. What was frustrating to see is that people were commenting on the news to soften a player's alleged homophobic language with their own homophobia. Those people claiming it's just part of the game tacitly support it. And now that it's confirmed Rielly didn't say it, the argument that "it stays on the ice" doesn't have any premise--it's defending hateful language on the ice when there wasn't even any, so it's just aimless hatred. Maybe it's a relief that Rielly didn't say it, but responses to the reporting last night imply that they think it's okay for people to be like that and use that language. It doesn't mean it's reflective of an entire fan base, it was just plainly saddening to see.

Don't want to downplay the homophobia that came out of this whole ordeal. When it seemed like it was definitely what was said there were a lot of people on Twitter asking what the big deal was / defending it and all that. But the prevailing thought now is that the slur was not actually said by anyone and it was the "Rag it" that came from the Tampa bench picked up right after Rielly said Fuck. I too at first thought it was just fans not wanting it to be true and stretching to find a similar word but you can later hear "Rag, rag, rag" as the forechecking Tampa player steals the puck. Which fits the context of term.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Noodles is handling the Rielly situation with the delicacy of a dollar store saw. Sure, Rielly was wrongly accused, and went off on the "dopes online" who did do that, but there were so many people who saw no issue in the alleged language. And not a word about them.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Don't want to downplay the homophobia that came out of this whole ordeal. When it seemed like it was definitely what was said there were a lot of people on Twitter asking what the big deal was / defending it and all that. But the prevailing thought now is that the slur was not actually said by anyone and it was the "Rag it" that came from the Tampa bench picked up right after Rielly said Fuck. I too at first thought it was just fans not wanting it to be true and stretching to find a similar word but you can later hear "Rag, rag, rag" as the forechecking Tampa player steals the puck. Which fits the context of term.

The last bit makes sense for its context and annunciation. But the slur sounds like the voice that first says "fucking hook, fucking hook," and doesn't sound the same as someone calling down the ice to the player who's after the puck. It sounds like the same person shouting at the referee that's skating away. I'm not really sure though.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh yet again I read a pre-announcement thread and get too excited. Some of the posters had me expecting to be playing MCC like tonight on PC.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Afternoon all, I'm in Whistler this week so hoping to catch some hockey whilst I'm here (on TV).

Which game should I watch between Red Wings v Montreal, Jets v Sharks, or Capitals v Penguins? Based on entertainment value

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh yet again I read a pre-announcement thread and get too excited. Some of the posters had me expecting to be playing MCC like tonight on PC.
This was the one thing I didn't expect to happen, although I was surprised by the staggered release even though it makes complete sense given the problems with the original console launch. Besides that everything was good news and met the hype and exceeded it with the Steam release.

Oct 28, 2017

Amen. At this point, the Wings need all the young blood they can get.

Hirose killed it, and looked great at Wings' dev camp. Dude dominated for MSU.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
At the Caps/Pens games in the lower bowl. Just hoping to have my Labrador flag on camera.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Is that down to both the sharks and jets basically with less to play for?

Sharks & Jets are two of the best teams in the Western Conference and play exciting, offensive hockey
Caps & Pens are two of the best teams in the Eastern Conference and have two of the best players currently in the game on their rosters facing off against each other - plus it's historically been a "rivalry".

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Sharks & Jets are two of the best teams in the Western Conference and play exciting, offensive hockey
Caps & Pens are two of the best teams in the Eastern Conference and have two of the best players currently in the game on their rosters facing off against each other - plus it's historically been a "rivalry".
Perfect, I'll start with the caps/pens and see how it goes. Thanks

joedick

Mar 19, 2018

I think a big part of it is that non-playoff teams are more likely to promise that they'll start playing this year and burn a year of their entry level contract.