• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of shocked to be honest that Matheson got suspended... doesn't no history usually equate to a slap on the wrist?

If the DOPS says this is not a hockey play then I hope they continue to suspend these plays (especially the ones that don't result in injury... because they shouldn't wait for injuries, that's asinine)

This is how I saw it ^ Honestly that wording confuses me... it's a legal play, unless it's deemed as two different plays...

I heard Kadri can play goal

I tried putting him into the goalie spot but it won't let me

Simon Belmont

Oct 25, 2017
It will never happen, but agreed. Pro athletes should have the same rights as workers in any other profession. The draft is basically indentured servitude.

People who support the draft care more about the money in billionaire owners' pockets than the players themselves

What profession? If you're a unionized boilermaker you need to get your journeyman ticket before you can "work anywhere", and even then you can only work union jobs. If you're a teacher you only have (in general) two or three employers to choose from. Doctors in Canada all have one employer. Even if you're a banker like me you might have non-competition clauses. In a lot of cases the only people who have "freedom" in that sense are either low paying jobs, or in business for themselves.

The other thing about NHL players, and if this has been brought up I apologize, is that teams spend BOATLOADS of cash actually developing these players. I can definitely understand why they want security, or at least a good return if somebody poaches a player they've spent time and money developing.

I guess at the end of the day, there are people out there with more restrictions on where they can work, who get less support from their employers, and don't make even close (in a lifetime) to what a Willy Nylander will make (in) a year. It's really hard for me to see this as an actual labour issue.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What profession? If you're a unionized boilermaker you need to get your journeyman ticket before you can "work anywhere", and even then you can only work union jobs. If you're a teacher you only have (in general) two or three employers to choose from. Doctors in Canada all have one employer. Even if you're a banker like me you might have non-competition clauses. In a lot of cases the only people who have "freedom" in that sense are either low paying jobs, or in business for themselves.

The other thing about NHL players, and if this has been brought up I apologize, is that teams spend BOATLOADS of cash actually developing these players. I can definitely understand why they want security, or at least a good return if somebody poaches a player they've spent time and money developing.

I guess at the end of the day, there are people out there with more restrictions on where they can work, who get less support from their employers, and don't make even close (in a lifetime) to what a Willy Nylander will make (in) a year. It's really hard for me to see this as an actual labour issue.
that's all missing the point. high end players entering the draft are ready to step into the NHL; if not right away, then soon. it should be a free market. if you are a desirable employee then you will get paid.

if you're not a high-end player, then you could still get signed to a cheap contract rather than drafted. they could just increase the number of available NHL contract slots and it wouldn't be an issue.

Simon Belmont

Oct 25, 2017
that's all missing the point. high end players entering the draft are ready to step into the NHL; if not right away, then soon. it should be a free market. if you are a desirable employee then you will get paid.

if you're not a high-end player, then you could still get signed to a cheap contract rather than drafted. they could just increase the number of available NHL contract slots and it wouldn't be an issue.

Players are free to play wherever they want though, they just want to play in the NHL. Nobody is stopping them from plying their trade in the AHL, or the ECHL, or the KHL, or the SEL, etc. They are actually in a lot of cases more free to ply their trade than most professionals, whose accreditation only applies regionally. Worry about the doctor I spent an hour talking to today whose Nigerian credentials mean he has to go to school again in Canada. Willy be getting paid either way.

edit: And you may be ready to "step in" but that doesn't mean that you're not still getting a ton of resources devoted to keeping you healthy and keeping your development on track.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Getting rid of the draft would probably also mean getting rid of like like 10 NHL teams because they would just whither and die while bigger markets tempt all the youngsters. Toronto, Montreal, NY, etc would get their pick of the litter and everybody else gets scraps.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
"We're gonna see board slams tonight, tomorrow, and Wednesday," Jeff Marek on HC at Noon and how this is somewhat of a slippery slope.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Marek was driving me crazy just by the way he kept repeating 'board slam' like it was a thing normal ppl ever said.

Shannon annoyed me by being a dinosaur as always. Stellick annoyed me by bringing absolutely nothing of value to any convo. So a pretty standard Monday HC really.

I'm glad they suspended Matheson two games and am pleasantly surprised he got anything. I totally agreed with their view the shove seemed motivated at least in part by the fact he missed his check. Now let's just imagine that's a consistent standard now haha

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Shannon annoyed me by being a dinosaur as always. Stellick annoyed me by bringing absolutely nothing of value to any convo. So a pretty standard Monday HC really.

Not sure what the craziest thing he's said today...

Shannon: "They have been very very good" (on the Canucks)

Also John Shannon: "It's not Matheson's fault he's 150 pounds" (on the EP injury)

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean 2 games is better than nothing but until the league starts actually punishing ppl for stupid plays, players will continue to skirt the line and see how much they can get away with.

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
Shocked they gave him any games, but good on them. It's still not enough, but at least it's a step forward.

19 & 21

Oct 25, 2017

Yep. Fuck you, Matheson. Your violent saltiness is now a matter of record.

This is the first time this has happened isn't it? Like, beyond "intent to injure", this is the first time they're actually taking game context into account?
Not sure what the craziest thing he's said today...

Shannon: "They have been very very good" (on the Canucks)

Also John Shannon: "It's not Matheson's fault he's 150 pounds" (on the EP injury)
Dude just shut the fuck up. His weight had nothing to do with the decision he made except it allowed for a much worse outcome from a vicious, stupid ass play that should never happen. How you can say it was an accident, incidental, whatever bullshit way you want to play it off is beyond all reasonability. An unfortunate circumstance where you can see him putting a great deal of arm strength into slamming the kid into the ice after the hit. Right. Whoops.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
2 games is fine, but now he'll be a repeat offender so if he fucks around again hopefully they'll really drop the hammer.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Freddie out :O

And hey most of you said Matheson would get nothing, so 2 games isn't much but it's better than nothing. League has a ways to go yet but that's encouraging. Kypreos came off like he thought it wasn't a big deal though. Of course.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Let's see if the Wings start 0 and 6 or somehow get a win here. Kinda hope they just lose everything so we get the 1st pick for once.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
am i dreaming or did freddie the goat just make a controlled zone entry while deking a kings d-man

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
It's at the point where I'm surprised when that PP doesn't score lol. Facing that 1st PP unit must be terrifying if you're an opposing goalie.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Leaf fans as someone who sat through the Kings last week let me know if this preview should be in a spoiler tag:

- the Kings get virtually no sustained offensive zone time and basically no shots
- Campbell plays pretty damn well actually but still bumps into his own net or falls a few times but somehow it doesn't lead to a goal
- Doughty is still annoyingly good. He played an entire 2 min PP and still skated well enough to prevent a breakaway
- it's obvious when Kopitar is on the ice because he does basically everything right

a916

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time this has happened isn't it? Like, beyond "intent to injure", this is the first time they're actually taking game context into account?

Dude just shut the fuck up. His weight had nothing to do with the decision he made except it allowed for a much worse outcome from a vicious, stupid ass play that should never happen. How you can say it was an accident, incidental, whatever bullshit way you want to play it off is beyond all reasonability. An unfortunate circumstance where you can see him putting a great deal of arm strength into slamming the kid into the ice after the hit. Right. Whoops.

Dude you do realise that's a quote right, from John Shannon, not me?

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Johnsson isn't actively bad he just doesn't really do..... anything. I'm not sure if he's had a legitimate scoring chance all season

Status
Not open for further replies.