• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Watching that game reminded me of the Tampa game last year (where Martel injured Stecher). Both Tampa and St. Louis are clearly talented with good players up and down the lineup. It's a regular season game against a weaker team, and yet they feel they have to clutch and grab, hook, throw picks, etc. I felt the 2 minute 5-on-3 was a makeup call but the refs seemed to miss a lot beforehand (I was watching the Canucks feed though so expect some bias).

St. Louis could've won the game without resorting to those tactics (up a goal in the third, defending well), but they did, and it backfired on them.

I think it was just a dumb-ass ref that missed the first call (goalie interference where clearly pushed in) and couldn't admit a mistake that he didn't see. Berube said there was no prolonged discussion or explanation, just a quick whistle.

A lot of the clutching and grabbing, hooking I think is because guys aren't moving their feet. Just dumb penalties. They played several of the early games like a track meet so I'm sure they're getting flogged in the locker room, get back to physical play. Slow the game down. Obviously I can't avoid the fan goggles, but I watch 2-3 games per night and as many condensed games as I have time for (NHL.tv is the best) so I have some feel how teams need to play. Blues must play a physical game.

Re: Trump: There's a good segment on the latest Chicklets with Bortuzzo and the behind the scene on that. Vitale was on after and funny as hell. Still miss Kelly Chase but it's weird how something like a podcast can warm you up to a broadcaster.

Personally I'd like to see the whole White House visit thing go away.. but if it's gonna be a thing I do think they should go or not go as a team. Forget who's sitting and just respect the opportunity if you go. Just my opinion. Right now I think it's a lose/lose with the country split so it sucks for the teams that want everyone's eyeballs on the team, especially a small market. I'd bet there was some "pretty please?" with the Blues being in a blue city / red state. They are trying to grow the product outside the immediate area and took the Cup around even to smaller cities ~4 hours away pop 50k where it's RED.

TLDR, I'll be ready to defend this thesis tomorrow.

Last edited:

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was just a dumb-ass ref that missed the first call (goalie interference where clearly pushed in) and couldn't admit a mistake that he didn't see. Berube said there was no prolonged discussion or explanation, just a quick whistle.

A lot of the clutching and grabbing, hooking I think is because guys aren't moving their feet. Just dumb penalties. They played several of the early games like a track meet so I'm sure they're getting flogged in the locker room, get back to physical play. Slow the game down. Obviously I can't avoid the fan goggles, but I watch 2-3 games per night and as many condensed games as I have time for (NHL.tv is the best) so I have some feel how teams need to play. Blues must play a physical game.

Re: Trump: There's a good segment on the latest Chicklets with Bortuzzo and the behind the scene on that. Vitale was on after and funny as hell. Still miss Kelly Chase but it's weird how something like a podcast can warm you up to a broadcaster.

Personally I'd like to see the whole White House visit thing go away.. but if it's gonna be a thing I do think they should go or not go as a team. Forget who's sitting and just respect the opportunity if you go. Just my opinion. Right now I think it's a lose/lose with the country split so it sucks for the teams that want everyone's eyeballs on the team, especially a small market. I'd bet there was some "pretty please?" with the Blues being in a blue city / red state. They are trying to grow the product outside the immediate area and took the Cup around even to smaller cities ~4 hours away pop 50k where it's RED.

TLDR, I'll be ready to defend this thesis tomorrow.
it was definitely an interesting listen as to what actually happens during those visits.

I however disagree with you; if someone doesn't want to go to the white house they shouldn't have to and shouldn't be afraid to speak up.

Ultimately visiting with the president shouldn't have anything to do with team chemistry anyways.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
it was definitely an interesting listen as to what actually happens during those visits.

I however disagree with you; if someone doesn't want to go to the white house they shouldn't have to and shouldn't be afraid to speak up.

Ultimately visiting with the president shouldn't have anything to do with team chemistry anyways.

I don't think anyone said guys was seriously opposed to going. I think Wysh did the "I get the sense.." thing but I think if anyone had a real beef with it we'd hear more. My take was it's a close group and they decided to go and make the most of it, which sounds like what they did from hearing Bortuzzo.

It's cool to disagree though, it's just my opinion and I don't even have a custom tag. I just see it as a chance to see the White House and all the history, not just the President.

I also think it was smart that the Russians didn't go to Tarasenko for deep state White House work. It would have been too obvious (looking at you Ovi).

Last edited:

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone said anyone was seriously opposed to going. I think Wysh did the "I get the sense.." thing but I think if anyone had a real beef with it we'd hear more. My take was it's a close group and they decided to go and make the most of it, which sounds like what they did from hearing Bortuzzo.

It's cool to disagree though, it's just my opinion and I don't even have a custom tag.
Oo no worries, I have no problem with differing opinions.

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
It's cool to disagree though, it's just my opinion and I don't even have a custom tag. I just see it as a chance to see the White House and all the history, not just the President.
Eh, I think this is a dangerous over simplification of things. They made a statement going and standing there with that piece of shit, everyone who made the decision to go should be judged for it. Same for any other championship team given the opportunity. These people have a unique platform to speak out and take stands and choose to keep quiet.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I think this is a dangerous over simplification of things. They made a statement going and standing there with that piece of shit, everyone who made the decision to go should be judged for it. Same for any other championship team given the opportunity. These people have a unique platform to speak out and take stands and choose to keep quiet.
Yup. By going, taking pictures, and smiling, they are making a political statement.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Panarin-Zibanejad-Kreider
Buchnevich-Howden-Kakko
Lemieux-Strome-Fast
Smith-Andersson-Haley

Staal-Trouba
Hajek-DeAngelo
Skjei-Fox

Lundqvist

I don't understand Quinn's deployment here. Now Kreider and Buchnevich are both playing on their off wings rather than just swapping Buch with Kakko. Meanwhile, Lias Andersson remains between a defenseman and a guy who doesn't belong in pro hockey.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
S5QUtG9.gif

Alley Cat!

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. By going, taking pictures, and smiling, they are making a political statement.
On brand for you, I guess. The dude who called Binnginton's tweets "at worst insensitive".

I don't want to sidetrack a hockey discussion with something actually important, but are you completely oblivious to what Trump has said and done over the last 2 years? It's your country, is it not? The capacity for anyone to stand behind him smiling, shake his hand, laugh at his jokes, etc cannot be separated from the political environment within which it happened. Look at this shit. The corrupt, racist, serial liar and sexual assaulter who is cratering American institutions from the inside is mocking Democrats and impeachment LOL JOKES thisisntpoliticalitsjustanhonour. Sorry. 'Keep politics out of my hockey' is no longer a privilege you are afforded. Good thing there are still dudes like Holtby, Connolly and Smith-Pelly out there.

lamaroo

Oct 25, 2017
On brand for you, I guess. The dude who called Binnginton's tweets "at worst insensitive".

I don't want to sidetrack a hockey discussion with something actually important, but are you completely oblivious to what Trump has said and done over the last 2 years? It's your country, is it not? The capacity for anyone to stand behind him smiling, shake his hand, laugh at his jokes, etc cannot be separated from the political environment within which it happened. Look at this shit. The corrupt, racist, serial liar and sexual assaulter who is cratering American institutions from the inside is mocking Democrats and impeachment LOL JOKES thisisntpoliticalitsjustanhonour. Sorry. 'Keep politics out of my hockey' is no longer a privilege you are afforded. Good thing there are still dudes like Holtby, Connolly and Smith-Pelly out there.

Did you quote the wrong person?

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds like a you problem. Zucc even managed to become a hero in Dallas despite playing there for like 8 minutes.

Cost the team goals with poor turnovers, has not seemed to gel with anybody in any way, idk

The team as a whole sucks but he certainly has not helped, unfortunately.

Was he even dressed last night? I legitimately don't remember seeing him or hearing his name
I don't even remember his name being called at all last night
I think he's injured at the moment.

He is injured. He missed the last three games and I kind of doubt he plays in the next one.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017

I wish we could sidetrack hockey talk to address its toxic culture more tbh. I'm here for it.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Is today Hockey Day in Canada?

Canucks in the morning, Habs at noon, Leafs afternoon, Flames evening?

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Im not even going to say that my Habs is playing great, its more a matter of fact that Blues is playing like garbage. (Sorry Blues fan, don't want to be mean)
Can't complain though, entertaining as a habs fan lol

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
Here's your worst goal allowed of the 2019-2020 season

Habs look great, and they actually have a working power play now. Craziness.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
why are the Devils such annoying fucking c*unts? THIS ONE TIME i get to see every second of a Canucks game because its on at a reasonable time (8pm here), and of course its the ugliest hockey i've seen in years courtesy of the Devils. so ugly i get existential angst, like i just dont understand reality anymore. they just break up the game, constant interruptions and everyone turtling and blocking, protecting that early 1 goal lead like its an elimination game, letting nothing through... arghh, it was goddamn painful to watch for 3 hours. and its not the first time the Devils have done this to me, i swear they ruined a rare early evening Jets game for me as well last season, in a 100% identical way. shitty ass slow and hyper-defensive play taking zero risks, like WHY take it so seriously? its just hockey, live a little and play it! try some risky dangles or passes or go for a breakaway, fucking anything else besides playing like scaredy losers and winning by playing like losers, its NOT FUN and makes zero sense, ZERO.

so uhmm fuck them and their city for annoying me so much i almost had an aneurysm. i have to give it to the Leafs, at least its fun to hate them, they are entertaining and stuff... but i truly hate hating the Devils, they have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. just the most annoying and boring team to watch. they always have some no name goalie shutting out my team as well, like who the fuck is Blackwood or whatever?? ARGH. i lost money too because i was certain the Nucks had this in the bag. FUCK.

These Leafs 11mil hotshots better start delivering consistently.

Auston Matthews, Tavares and Marner are being paid as if they're top 10 players.

They better start playing like it.

yeah none of them were in the top 10 last season in scoring and they wont be this season at the end. hell, i'll bet there's a D-man above all of them.