• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
To Don Waddell

f30.gif

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
Weird that there has been barely any Gardiner chatter

I hope Bergy throws an offer at Point when Carolina matches.
Actually curious if he would throw out another one once Carolina accepts. He has to have a plan B, seeing as this always seemed to be an obvious signing for Carolina, unless they have information regarding Dundon, that we don't know.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the Leafs still have a chance at resigning him. Might just be waiting for them to settle things.

Yeah the leafs are trying to work a miracle here

Kerfoot still needs a contract, too. You have the ceci thing. If they pull it off, they could have a minor dent to their C depth with a huge upgrade on wings and defense.

Liljegren may also make the team too.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
T
O
R
O
N
T
O

GOT

THIS

FOR

NEXT

YEAR

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHHHHHHHHHHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oct 25, 2017
So how are the Leafs going to sign Marner, Ceci and Kerfoot if they only have 11ish million cap space right now....

Who else can they get rid of?!

Does Nathan Horton count towards the cap right now or is it already accounted for? https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs

Oh, I think Horton is counted toward the cap right now, I guess it gets moved when the season starts?

Last edited:

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
So how are the Leafs going to sign Marner, Ceci and Kerfoot if they only have 11ish million cap space right now....

Does Nathan Horton count towards the cap right now or is it already accounted for? https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs

Oh, I think Horton is counted toward the cap right now, I guess it gets moved when the season starts?

It gets moved when the season starts but you can spend 10% over the cap in the offseason so they can effectively just use the space now.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
BargainBin needed to push the AAV another $1-1.5M and lose another 1st in order to land Aho. Loved the play, hated the execution.

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017

LITR gets activated right before the season. so Leafs really have 11 + 5.3 in cap to play with

They actually have 22 players signed right now. So signing those 3 players, chances are, Gauthier/Petan + 1 or 2 Ds (with Ceci signed they'd have 9 Ds signed) + if rookies excels at training camp, more bodies will be moved. through waivers or minor trades

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
BargainBin needed to push the AAV another $1-1.5M and lose another 1st in order to land Aho. Loved the play, hated the execution.

Agreed.. even the GM said they were expecting more in AAV so he's happy with the amount, probably not about the length though. guessing he only needs to get the owner to approve the 21 mil singning bonus, after that, it's a bargain for Carolina

get BargainBin to put out an offer like that on Marner, it'll save Dubas some time too

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.. even the GM said they were expecting more in AAV so he's happy with the amount, probably not about the length though. guessing he only needs to get the owner to approve the 21 mil singning bonus, after that, it's a bargain for Carolina

get BargainBin to put out an offer like that on Marner, it'll save Dubas some time too

I'll be really curious if/when Carolina matches if Bergevin turns to his original target, Brayden Point, with a larger/more aggressive offer.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Canucks actually gave Myers $6m a year lol.

Dubas did a good job. Took away all of Babs vets that were awful. Got rid of Marleau, Zaitsev, Brown, and let Hainsey walk.

Took Marleau's cap hit and turned it into Kapenen and Johnsson. Tyson Barrie is the perfect RHD to compliment Rielly.

Please don't sign Ceci.

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
The Athletic interviewed Aho's agent today, and he said that Aho 100% wants to play for the Habs. Kind of brutal to hear on Carolina's end, even if he signs. He also said this will be a lot more difficult for the Canes then people are saying.

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
At least it's only a year, right? *cries in Maple Leaf*

Better than keeping Zaitsev for another like 3 years.. lol

edit: holy crap. make that 4 years.

easy comparison on how these 2 players are both generally bad overall. it'll still be fun comparing both of them during next season.. rofl

Last edited:

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
The Athletic interviewed Aho's agent today, and he said that Aho 100% wants to play for the Habs. Kind of brutal to hear on Carolina's end, even if he signs. He also said this will be a lot more difficult for the Canes then people are saying.
I mean if he wasn't willing to play there he wouldn't have signed the offer sheet. He knew what contact he wanted and his agent found a way to get for him. Not sure why any canes fan would be upset. Except for the term this is a great deal.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Better than keeping Zaitsev for another like 3 years.. lol

edit: holy crap. make that 4 years.

easy comparison on how these 2 players are both generally bad overall. it'll still be fun comparing both of them during next season.. rofl
5 Years of Zaitsev actually. He signed a 1 year then a 7 year extension and played 3 seasons with the Leafs. He only played two seasons of his contract so far.

Ceci for only a year isn't bad I guess. I think Sandin is ready to come up. Borgman too.

Isn't it funny how Eugene Melnyk made fun of the Leaf's defence back in February and now:

• Signs DJ Smith, assistant coach on the Leafs who ran the Defence and Penalty Kill (which cost the Leafs the series against the Bruins, it was below 60%)
  • Acquires Zaitsev
  • Acquires Brown who was on that bad PK
  • Signs 38 year old Ron Hainsey
Lol. Poor Sens fans.

I mean if he wasn't willing to play there he wouldn't have signed the offer sheet. He knew what contact he wanted and his agent found a way to get for him. Not sure why any canes fan would be upset. Except for the term this is a great deal.
Eventually Canes ownership has to shit or get off the pot. He's an all-star who plays Centre. Pay the man. If you aren't going to keep your talent, especially have your first playoff run in 10 years, then what are you even doing owning this team? Just move them to Quebec City and sell them to an owner who wants to spend to the cap.

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
Assuming you're a Canes fan, your best player's agent saying that this player 100% wants to play for another team doesn't bother you?

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming you're a Canes fan, your best player's agent saying that this player 100% wants to play for another team doesn't bother you?
Nope. Many players in the history of the NHL have wanted to play for other teams. At the end if the day he is an employee and has a right to have opinions and preferences. I want to have a job I love it would be hypocritical of me to be mad about him wanting the same. So I will just enjoy watching him play and wish him luck if he leaves in FA.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Zeitsef decent in his rookie season, and not as bad these past playoffs.

You at least have that hope he can be an ok dman again, where Ceci has never shown us a glimpse of hope of being good.

And if he sucks then he sucks, would help the tank tremendously.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, it doesn't seem like enough money, nor compensation for the Canes to consider NOT matching it.

And then there's this, which makes the OS that much more confusing. If true, why not try to get a trade behind the scenes?? This just looks rough for everyone. What are the rules on matching the OS and then trading? Is there a grace period?

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed, it doesn't seem like enough money, nor compensation for the Canes to consider NOT matching it.
Do you subscribe to the Athletic at all? Arpon Basu has an article on the math, and basically to up the contract to say 10.5 AAV and still front load it, would have only cost an extra 3 M or so to Dundon, so basically Bergevin and co didn't feel that extra 3 M would be enough for them to say no, and they didn't want to risk the extra first rounder in that case.

And then there's this, which makes the OS that much more confusing. If true, why not try to get a trade behind the scenes?? This just looks rough for everyone. What are the rules on matching the OS and then trading? Is there a grace period?
The ask was probably too high, and Bergevin and his team thought they saw a weakness, for better or for worse.

MultiJhonny

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

if the Canes match they can't trade Aho for a year

Merguson

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Zeitsef decent in his rookie season, and not as bad these past playoffs.

You at least have that hope he can be an ok dman again, where Ceci has never shown us a glimpse of hope of being good.

And if he sucks then he sucks, would help the tank tremendously.

Zaitsev had an okay rookie season but his extension was pretty divisive among people. Some people said he could continue to develop and improve but he was like 26-27 years old already. I might be recalling incorrectly but I think his underlying numbers weren't seen as good among the analytics people.

Muzzin was his partner throughout the playoffs which helped Zaitsev a bit.

A change of scenery might help but he's going to be under DJ Smith who likes Zaitsev as he currently is. What you saw the last two seasons might be what you get at this point.

I don't really expect too much out of Cody Ceci either. Maybe a change of scenery will help but from what I've seen about Ceci, I doubt it.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Do you subscribe to the Athletic at all? Arpon Basu has an article on the math, and basically to up the contract to say 10.5 AAV and still front load it, would have only cost an extra 3 M or so to Dundon, so basically Bergevin and co didn't feel that extra 3 M would be enough for them to say no, and they didn't want to risk the extra first rounder in that case.

The ask was probably too high, and Bergevin and his team thought they saw a weakness, for better or for worse.

No I don't, but Basu is usually a good read for sure. I guess Bergevin thought this was the best option, but I would think 2 firsts might give more pause than 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
if the Canes match they can't trade Aho for a year
That's what I thought, thanks.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Zaitsev had an okay rookie season but his extension was pretty divisive among people. Some people said he could continue to develop and improve but he was like 26-27 years old already. I might be recalling incorrectly but I think his underlying numbers weren't seen as good among the analytics people.

Muzzin was his partner throughout the playoffs which helped Zaitsev a bit.

A change of scenery might help but he's going to be under DJ Smith who likes Zaitsev as he currently is. What you saw the last two seasons might be what you get at this point.

I don't really expect too much out of Cody Ceci either. Maybe a change of scenery will help but from what I've seen about Ceci, I doubt it.

Oh dang.

Look at this roster lmaoo

Tkachuk - White - Duclair
Ryan - Tierney - Brown
Balcers - Brown - Batherson
Ennis - Pageau - Smith
Boedker

Chabot - DeMelo
Brannstrom - Zeitsef
Hainsey - Jaros
Wolanin/ Boro

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
Zaitsevs 1st year = 36pts -22
After this season he said he didnt like the way Leafs tried to use him ass a defensive D... so maybe youll get that from him again.. lol

Cecis best year = 26pts +9

I guess theres hope for both of them

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
No I don't, but Basu is usually a good read for sure. I guess Bergevin thought this was the best option, but I would think 2 firsts might give more pause than 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
It seems as though they imagined that extra first wouldn't have made a difference and the only way to get to them was through the signing bonus. Still seems to obvious that they're going to match it, that is surprising Bergevin even bothered.