• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Was really hoping that'd stretch into November.

But on the plus side maybe everyone else signs now. That's a heavy AAV for him but at least the leafs can say they bought extra years.

There's going to be some interesting articles coming about the leafs cap situation going forward

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Auston Matthews, John Tavares & Mitch Marner combine as a $33,527,000 cap hit. Next year that counts as 41% of the cap for Toronto.

Bruh....

calder

Oct 25, 2017
This That's Hockey has been all Marner for like 20 minutes so I'll think TSN will use every bit of the animal on this one

Now just think about Point. He knows he's a lot better than Marner, but he has no chance to get that AAV

Simon Belmont

Oct 25, 2017
Barrie is gone next year.

They let Muzzin walk. I'm sure they're thinking Dermott, Reilly, Barrie, Sandin, Liljegrin and cheap depth will be their D core next year. They have 15 million and only really Barrie and Dermott to lock up. They might even be able to afford to keep Muzzin. The cap situation is really not that bad for next year.

This year is going to be squeaky bum time though.

Merguson

Oct 25, 2017
They let Muzzin walk. I'm sure they're thinking Dermott, Reilly, Barrie, Sandin, Liljegrin and cheap depth will be their D core next year. They have 15 million and only really Barrie and Dermott to lock up. They might even be able to afford to keep Muzzin. The cap situation is really not that bad for next year.

This year is going to be squeaky bum time though.

It's going to be real tough to devote a lot of dollars to Tyson Barrie but I guess the Leafs could do it. It would be real nice if Sandin and Lijegrin prove to be NHLers by this season's end though. That would be great for the Leafs depth.

sirronoh

Oct 25, 2017
Watching from New Jersey, I'm not seeing Austin Matthews as captain material. He still comes across as immature at times and there are definitely more experienced, team-first guys on the Leafs in Tavares and Reilly, both of which are locked up for the next several years.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Watching from New Jersey, I'm not seeing Austin Matthews as captain material. He still comes across as immature at times and there are definitely more experienced, team-first guys on the Leafs in Tavares and Reilly, both of which are locked up for the next several years.

Matthews is also locked up for the next several years.

sirronoh

Oct 25, 2017
Matthews is also locked up for the next several years.

I'm aware, and the contracts weren't really the focus of what I wrote, it was Matthews character. To be clear -- in my opinion, Matthews character doesn't rise to the level of captain of the storied Toronto Maple Leafs franchise compared to people like Tavares and Reilly. That may change a year or two or three from now. But right now, that are more mature and experienced options available. Similar to Tarasenko in St. Louis, make him an alternate to put him on the right track while giving someone else the C. But he's certainly no McDavid, or Landeskog, or Barkov if I'm comparing stars who were given the C very early in their careers.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I'm aware, and the contracts weren't really the focus of what I wrote, it was Matthews character. To be clear -- in my opinion, Matthews character doesn't rise to the level of captain of the storied Toronto Maple Leafs franchise compared to people like Tavares and Reilly. That may change a year or two or three from now. But right now, that are more mature and experienced options available. Similar to Tarasenko in St. Louis, make him an alternate to put him on the right track while giving someone else the C. But he's certainly no McDavid, or Landeskog, or Barkov if I'm comparing stars who were given the C very early in their careers.

Auston reminds me of Mats, he's basically Latino Sundin, he'll be fine.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Congrats to the leafs to making it to the first round. Team just lacks will and perseverance, it seems like a me first kinda team. Least they have Mathews another 5 years till he bolts back to his pajama land.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm gonna be playing defence for the Leafs next season for $15/hr in order for the Leafs to be cap compliant.

Let's hope that US TV deal, Gambling revenue and Seattle Expansion raises the cap by $5m or so.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a bummer the Jets don't seem to be interested in Honka. He'd be so damn useful.

Also crazy to me that the Stars were trying to trade him in the summer but couldn't get any takers on a third round pick. Please someone learn how to judge defence soon

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
It's such a bummer the Jets don't seem to be interested in Honka. He'd be so damn useful.

Also crazy to me that the Stars were trying to trade him in the summer but couldn't get any takers on a third round pick. Please someone learn how to judge defence soon
Habs beat writer is saying they're interested, but how good is a player when he can't make the Stars lineup? I don't know enough about him as a player, I'm curious about the popularity for a player who hasn't been able to perform.