• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

calder

Oct 25, 2017

Lol looking for news from the old site's 2011 off season thread I found this:
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
Like #Flyers the #Wild have thrown the kitchen sink at Parise/Suter. Going rate on all #NHL offers are now minimum 12 years between 80-90M

Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib
Hearing some scuttle that #pens could front-load to get Parise or Suter, not likely both. Would not mesh with what I had heard previously.

Pens now willing to front load for Parise?
Different times, different CBA heh.

EDIT:
<3
ieP89Uj.png

Last edited:

calder

Oct 25, 2017
How dare you Marvin is a goddamn treasure and has never been wrong ever that I can recall ok maybe his insistence on parking his car right beside the boards in Barclays was really indulgent but beyond that.

Deleted member 4375

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8 years already huh... Time have flown by. I remember my old boss and I just kind of staring at the announcement on TV in utter disbelief.

It's been a very memorable 8 years. I'm eagerly anticipating what the future holds for the Jets.

Last edited:

calder

Oct 25, 2017
8 years already huh... Time have flown by. I remember my old boss and I just kind of staring at the announcement on TV in utter disbelief.

It's been a very memorable 8 years. I'm eagerly anticipating what the future holds for the Jets.

Is it weird I'm kinda excited by the thought of a Trouba trade? I guess I've just been so certain it would have to happen one day I don't care as much about losing a true #1 RHD as I should.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird I'm kinda excited by the thought of a Trouba trade? I guess I've just been so certain it would have to happen one day I don't care as much about losing a true #1 RHD as I should.
Myers is going UFA
Trouba is getting traded
Byfuglien is 34 years old

Who's helping out Buff? Jets have LHDs who can play on the right side?

Deleted member 4375

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah, I'm in the same boat. I just want the drama with him to end. (Not that there has been tons in comparison to certain other teams) It's been obvious to us fans here that he's not exactly been thrilled to play here over the years and has just been playing until his options open. I understand never wanting to trade a drafted and developed player, and can appreciate that mentality... At the same time, I just want no distractions for the team. They need to refocus and be much sharper in this coming season, with or without Trouba. As long as we get something of equal value or as good a fit, so to speak, I'm fine with trading Trouba. He's become a very solid Dman for us over the years and I don't regret the Jets ever drafting him ever, but I also want someone who actually enjoys it with the team and not just because it's a paycheque.

If I recall, he's one of 2 Jets who ever went to arbitration (The other being Morrissey... Which I hope isn't a Trouba Part II). I just am tired of the same questions with him each season. The doubts, the what ifs and the like. I think we could get a nice return for him, especially if we can help him out in going to a team near where he wants to be. (Florida, Detroit... Tampa?)

Whenever I kind of regret losing a potential 1 RHD, I just think of how many times he coughed up the puck RIGHT IN THE SLOT last season, and I proceeded to age 5 years in 30 seconds. He's made some boneheaded plays that a lot of other people seem to miss or overlook, so... He's good, but nothing to really lose sleep over if we lose his services as a Jet, considering the reasons above.

We'll see... I could see us getting a first rounder back on Draft day... I'm anticipating it a lot, considering that we don't have a pick in the first round... Yet.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know how to process this

ECHL: "So, you want our shipping person to set up a Fedex pickup at your offices?"
Lind: "The Kelly Cup will remain in Colorado."
ECHL: "... We could mail you a waybill to stick on a box if that's easier? Do you have like a pelican case and some bubble wrap, it's not that hard really."

Yeah I don't get it.

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
TSN has Ghostbear on their top 10 trade bait, 1. why would Philly want to move him? 2. What would it take to acquire him, I wonder. I would look pretty nice next to Weber.

OP
OP
zroid

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Something I have been thinking about for a while, mostly due to all the Marner contract rumours, is the nature of RFA value.

I think a lot of the discourse surrounding RFAs, both by analysts and teams, is comparables. Makes sense, since that's how arbitration works. If you look at comps in a rigorous manner then Marner should probably get paid somewhere around $9-9.5 million AAV. He obviously wants more than $10 million, and perhaps more than $11 million, which would make him the highest paid winger in the league and is pretty absurd given he only has a one year sample of elite level production.

However, my thought is whether it's really fair to shoehorn an RFA value discussion as a function of comps. In theory, there is a free market for RFAs, and the NHL has set the terms for compensation. Obviously I'm talking about offer sheets. In all likelihood, players won't get an offer sheet, and even if they did, most wouldn't sign them (in my opinion). But when there is an open market for a free agent, even restricted, shouldn't players feel that they are worth whatever the highest bidder would be willing to offer? Unrestricted free agents have that luxury, and the only difference with a restricted free agent is there is a limiter applied by the league in the form of compensatory picks.

If a team would be willing to pay $11 million AAV plus 4 first round picks for an RFA, isn't that what they are worth? I think it's within Marner's right to think that. Now, I don't think anyone would offer that, but if we're talking about $10.5 million, two 1sts, one 2nd, and one 3rd... yeah, I could see someone making that deal. Based on comps, that's a crazy number, but I don't think Marner is wrong to feel he should get paid that much. I doubt he will sign an offer sheet but if the entire league weren't literally colluding to make offer sheets not a thing, isn't that his actual value?

I don't know if this is what Marner's camp is thinking, because if his argument is based on comps, then he's delusional. But I think if more RFAs wanted to treat their restricted free agency as a legitimate free agency, which it theoretically is, then most RFAs should be getting paid a hell of a lot more than they are right now. If Marner wants to get paid "what he's worth" (aka what the highest bidder would be willing to pay plus compensation) then by all means he should try to make it happen, as should all the other premier RFAs this summer -- and there are a lot of them!

calder

Oct 25, 2017
"MIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRTTTLLEEEEEEEEEEEE"

In an interview published in Russian several weeks ago, a clearly frustrated Zaitsev complained about several issues, including his usage and the way the Leafs blue line is often blamed for the team's shortcomings.

"Five-on-five, I play in the defensive zone," he is quoted saying, via a Google translation. "When I am into the offensive zone, I immediately (have to) go for a change."

"Everyone (in the market) said that the defence of Toronto was shit," he later added. "Everybody wanted (Jake) Muzzin. But he began to (be) smeared the next day. You just need to understand that this is Toronto. You will be defrauded because you are a defender."

Don Cherry also made an appearance in the interview due to his criticism of Zaitsev late last season.

"I'm amused that clowns like Cherry have a very big emphasis in our country as real experts," Zaitsev is quoted as saying. "(What he says) will immediately be on the websites, as if this is a serious person of some kind."
giphy.gif

The rest of the article is some kind of fantasy where some west coast team wants to pay Marleau 6.25m against the cap for one year of Leadership on the 4th line.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
TSN has Ghostbear on their top 10 trade bait, 1. why would Philly want to move him? 2. What would it take to acquire him, I wonder. I would look pretty nice next to Weber.
Flyers have a lot of young defencemen and Gostisbehere has been passed by a few other younger guys. Also the team has been openly talking about his shaky play the past year or so, which is a bit rare and shows a lack of faith in him I think.

Seeing Hamonic available from Calgary intrigues me. He hasn't really impressed on the Flames since his trade from NY but he's so cheap (albeit for one year) and the Jets could really user a RHD for the second pair.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Flyers have a lot of young defencemen and Gostisbehere has been passed by a few other younger guys. Also the team has been openly talking about his shaky play the past year or so, which is a bit rare and shows a lack of faith in him I think.

Seeing Hamonic available from Calgary intrigues me. He hasn't really impressed on the Flames since his trade from NY but he's so cheap (albeit for one year) and the Jets could really user a RHD for the second pair.
Brent Seabrook is a RHD. Just saying......

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Brent Seabrook is a RHD. Just saying......
We've talked about this. No. Just no. But *checks contract* you'll be able to get a 5 team trade list from him in... 2022? Wow, uh, yikes. Five more years on a 6.875AAV huh, that's a shame. Anyway, good chance the Leafs will still need a RHD in 2022 so maybe that'll work.

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
I'd have to take a deeper look into his numbers, but up front he seems like a really intriguing option. Bergevin has to get a top LD, and June is his favourite month to play.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
We've talked about this. No. Just no. But *checks contract* you'll be able to get a 5 team trade list from him in... 2022? Wow, uh, yikes. Five more years on a 6.875AAV huh, that's a shame. Anyway, good chance the Leafs will still need a RHD in 2022 so maybe that'll work.
I'm hoping for compliance buyouts in the next lockout.

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

giphy.gif

The rest of the article is some kind of fantasy where some west coast team wants to pay Marleau 6.25m against the cap for one year of Leadership on the 4th line.

Saw the headline of that piece and thought: "Weird I hadn't heard of the trade until now." I guess the Leafs are lucky that Marleau wants to go but "stars align to trade..." made it seem like a done deal. Still have to find someone to take both of them.

OP
OP
zroid

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

giphy.gif

not for 6.25 but 3? probably. i don't think the leafs would have a problem retaining 50% of the cap hit to get rid of the other half

also the Zaitsev interview was really funny

Oct 25, 2017
Has Pagnotta ever reported anything that's come true? The guy operates a site where he refers to himself and his tweets in the third person

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Has Pagnotta ever reported anything that's come true? The guy operates a site where he refers to himself and his tweets in the third person
Pagnotta caused some mild waves in Jets-land with a vague, killing-time-on-the-radio assertion that Laine wants out and is "exploring all his options" to get a contract he likes (no shit?) and "could sign an offer sheet" (?). He also described the Jets as a budget team implying they wouldn't be able to afford Laine like they don't spend to the cap; a couple of local Jets insiders on Twitter seemed mildly surprised by the report until they learned it was from Pagnotta and then they shrug emojied it. So, pretty standard for him I think.

Oct 26, 2017
McKenzie apparently said something about Subban yesterday, time for everyone to microwave their cold-ass P.K. locker-room takes.

It's almost like Josi's magical $4M AAV contract is up and Fabbro's looking legit.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
5th rounder for nothing, good work Chevy.

Also keeps lines of communication open with the Flyers in anticipation of a Trouba for Sanheim swap to come
I will never get off that pipe dream

Oct 25, 2017
He's an Eklund tier clown and people need to stop using him as a source. That being said I could totally see Hall hitting UFA.
Pagnotta caused some mild waves in Jets-land with a vague, killing-time-on-the-radio assertion that Laine wants out and is "exploring all his options" to get a contract he likes (no shit?) and "could sign an offer sheet" (?). He also described the Jets as a budget team implying they wouldn't be able to afford Laine like they don't spend to the cap; a couple of local Jets insiders on Twitter seemed mildly surprised by the report until they learned it was from Pagnotta and then they shrug emojied it. So, pretty standard for him I think.
I actually clicked on the article (I recommend not doing this) and it links to a top trade targets list where Hall is #1 (lol) and Pagnotta has referred to himself in the third person as the editor-in-chief. He's Eklund fully realized.

5th rounder for nothing, good work Chevy.
Funny how deadline rentals create this weird scenario where the guy you paid a 1st++ for 3 months ago, who arguably didn't help your team and disappointed somewhat, nets a 5th and this can be seen as a coup. All forgotten.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4375

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually clicked on the article (I recommend not doing this) and it links to a top trade targets list where Hall is #1 (lol) and Pagnotta has referred to himself in the third person as the editor-in-chief. He's Eklund fully realized.

Funny how deadline rentals create this weird scenario where the guy you paid a 1st++ for 3 months ago, who arguably didn't help your team and disappointed somewhat, nets a 5th and this can be seen as a coup. All forgotten.

That guy comes across as simply saying things for the sake of creating controversy (and clicks) based on absolutely nothing. I've quickly come to dismiss anything with his name attached.

In regards to Hayes, it was a gamble that didn't really pay off for the Jets. I did not expect them to recoup anything for him so in that sense, it's a form of save of face for us to at least get *something* for him as opposed to say losing Stastny last season.

calder

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah but the deadline deal is past, it was a decent gamble at the time (one I didn't love but I was much more negative on the team than the GM maybe should be). He played fine in the role they needed him for but nothing special and the fact the team lost in the first round is most of the reason the deal looks disappointing, and now they got an asset for letting a team talk to a guy on his way out the door for a couple of weeks.

Also, Brendan Lemieux is thrilled to be referred to as the "++" in a deal.

lamaroo

Oct 25, 2017
Solo

That Deadwood movie!

Finally watched it, lived up to the series in every way. I wish we could have had a full season of this, but I'll take the movie.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm re-watching the whole series before I watch the Deadwood movie. So much awesome stuff in season 1 I had forgotten about.