• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
D-fl4tHW4AAKdfW

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
yah i'd be happy just giving the Leafs to Sheldon Keefe. I love the way he speaks before/after games way better than Babock. Seems like a true players' coach instead of a demanding stubborn prick. This goes a long way in any sports now

Merguson

Oct 25, 2017
Dubas talked a bit about Ceci on the radio and it sounds like Babcock and Dubas are on the same page tbh.

With Cody, we went back and really studied him when Ottawa was making their run a few years ago. The last couple of years, part of it goes into the circumstances of him taking on really, really difficult assignments. When we looked at it, we said, "Okay, we can bring him in here and pair him with either Morgan or Jake or Travis Dermott when Travis Dermott is healthy, and have him with a partner that can really move the puck very effectively and efficiently. We know that he is a big, strong guy down low. We think we could make some improvements with him.

I'm sure Ottawa is hoping to do the same thing with Zaitsev and get better as they continue to grow. In Cody's case, we just felt that for someone who is 24 and not yet 25 years old, we would be able to help him continue to grow and evolve. We liked a lot of things we saw within his game even going back a few seasons and we're just trying to get him back on track. We feel he's got a lot of incentive. He's got an arbitration case ahead of him and one year before he hits free agency. We are excited about working with him and trying to make some gains with him.

Deleted member 563

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me thinks he's just keeping up appearances. QO is $4.3m, contract offer is $4.5m. If arb award is 5+, I can't see Dubas doing anything other than walk away. There are stopgap options to take Ceci's place in the short term, and when Dermott gets back into the lineup, it won't really matter who the bottom pair RD is.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Replace "Ceci" with "Gudbranson" and it's the same story about the latter when he was traded to Vancouver. 24 years old with room to grow and evolve, has been good in the past, big, strong, stay at home guy, put him with a puck mover (Hutton) in more favourable circumstances (not the shut down pair) and he'll succeed.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Replace "Ceci" with "Gudbranson" and it's the same story about the latter when he was traded to Vancouver. 24 years old with room to grow and evolve, has been good in the past, big, strong, stay at home guy, put him with a puck mover (Hutton) in more favourable circumstances (not the shut down pair) and he'll succeed.

You think Ottawa never tried that? Lol

He brought every pairing down.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Surprising spice from Oinkston:

ESPN: How were you able to avoid the Fortnite craze?

Matthews:
I've played it. Like I said, I go through stretches were a play a lot of games, and Fortnite was one of them. I don't think it ever got to the point where I was playing all night and not sleeping. I didn't play to the point where it was affecting my life. But I would play three or four hours a day after getting home from practice. Log on and play with all the boys. But nothing too crazy.

ESPN: No, you're not from Finland.

Matthews:
Exactly.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm burning an effigy of Jim Rutherford.

"It's the way things work on July 1 — you either give the player close to what he wants or you don't get the player," Rutherford said of forward Brandon Tavev, who joined the Penguins on a six-year contract that will count $3.5 million annually against the salary cap.

"We felt so strong about Tanev that, you know, we were willing to go as far as we had to go to make sure that we got him."

I just like to imagine the Pens front office on Monday, all huddled in a conference room while a stone faced Jim Rutherford gives the Captain America "whatever it takes" speech and a giant monitor shows an endless loop of Brandon Tanev skating really hard.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I just like to imagine the Pens front office on Monday, all huddled in a conference room while a stone faced Jim Rutherford gives the Captain America "whatever it takes" speech and a giant monitor shows an endless loop of Brandon Tanev skating really hard.

"Look this 27 year old career 4th liner who despite being 27 (28 in December) hasn't even played 3 full seasons yet and has 51 career points.... wanted 6 years to play on our 4th line till he's 33, you know an age Crosby hasn't even hit yet, and 3.5 million and a modified NMC or NTC... and I mean he's a 4th liner... hardly the easiest hole to plug, we had to use the money we saved, for only a year btw, by downgrading, the role Phil Kessel filled, to lock this guy up to play 8 minutes a game on our 4th line... that's just good business sense, we'll find cheap 700k.year guys to fill the much easier top 9 spots.... Oh and we're fucked cap wise so we might have to trade, 26 year old Bjugstad who has 4 times the production with double the experience, or just a slightly younger 27 year old Bryan Rust who has 50+ games more experience and double the production, in order to really fit Tanev's great 51 career point 4th liner 3.5 million for 6 fucking years with a NTC contract in our cap"

Last edited:

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
kerfoot re-signs for 3.5 million x 4 years

and Ceci 4.5 million for 1 year what the actual fuck

but it is dreger reporting this and he's on crack 99% of the time lately

calder

Oct 25, 2017

Chiarot to the Habs, pity the Jets could have used him but Chevy was right to only offer 2 years. The AAV is a slight overpay but the term is risky.

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
Kerfoot is a pretty good deal.

Could be pretty solid with Kapanen on the 3rd line..

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Moore - Kerfoot - Kapanen

or

Johnsson - Matthews - Kapanen
Moore - Nylander - Kerfoot

decisions ...

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about how I just said how the Jets could have used Chiarot (and it's true, ugh) then made me wonder who is the Jets defenseman I've yelled at on my TV most in the past few years. Such a stacked field it's tough... I guess it was probably Myers but Chiarot is way up there too. So many dumbass reads, and his incredible misplaced faith in his shot which meant if the puck got to him on the point he was going to rifle it on net from the blueline through traffic even if Scheifele or Laine was locked and loaded on the dot.

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
That's not Gardiner

Chiarot to the Habs, pity the Jets could have used him but Chevy was right to only offer 2 years. The AAV is a slight overpay but the term is risky.

Basic run down on him? Analytics Twitter is already shitting on him while other guys like Ferraro seem to really like him. Can't say I've ever really paid attention to him before.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
That's not Gardiner

Basic run down on him? Analytics Twitter is already shitting on him while other guys like Ferraro seem to really like him. Can't say I've ever really paid attention to him before.

He's a bit like Myers - there are things he does pretty well and he is clearly a useful NHL dman. But the things he doesn't do well mostly negate any of the good stuff and he's prone to breathtakingly dumb plays and reads. He can be physical. He paired really well with Byfuglien, to the point where people started thinking maybe he was a second pair guy himself, but as soon as Buff was hurt or Chiarot needed to be moved to a different partner his numbers cratered so fans eventually realized he was yet another mediocre LHD who Buff made look much better than he was.

I wanted to re-sign him but at around 2m per year for 2 years. Most Jets fans didn't want him back at much more than he had been making (1.4m). Not a terrible signing I don't think but only if you have cap space to waste and don't mind paying the UFA premium.

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like he could be a good fit with Petry. Habs still need that top pairing guy to play with Weber, hopefully Bergevin isn't done yet.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Nba off season is so much fun and you aren't punished for drafting well. You get exemptions for resigning your draft picks. At least allow a designated player rule where only like $1m of a players salary counts against the Cap. The franchise tag.

Nah, if anything the NBA needs a hard cap like the NHL.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the hard cap is leading to some interesting results in contracts. Lots of older guys on low term/low dollar deals as fill ins. Paying your younger players for what they can provide makes sense since the commodity is heavily based on physical performance, and time is undefeated on the aging curve. It sucks for those in-betweeners who were probably looking at a decent bump from their RFA/early UFA contracts until the current generation of star players coming off ELC started getting what is typically UFA money, but I think in a few years it will feel more fair in that the majority of players will be paid well in their early years.

Beyond that it makes the league even more risky, and risky is fun! Management needs to be absolutely on point with RFA contracts now in terms of accurately projecting, pricing, and timing their players. It's going to be harder to get out from under a bust which should be the point. It's going to be harder to keep a stockpile like the Leafs have or the Pens had when HBK, Fleury, etc were around on top of Sid/Geno/Letang, and that leads to greater parity because players will have to move if they can't get what they want. I think that's OK. Mayhem is fun and makes interesting storylines.

It will be interesting to see how the current crop of signed RFAs like Matthews, Aho, Nylander, etc., handle their next negotiations. GMs are perfectly aware that they paid of an improving asset before and will then be handling likely plateauing or declining assets with much more sample size to argue with. The hard cap forces these hard conversations versus get-out-of-jail cards like designated players or a soft/no cap.

I do wonder if the rebuilding/competing cycles will get as extreme as the MLB. I think it will be a problem if it affects viewership. But again, the cap means that if a player wants to really get paid, they might go to such a team.

Of course it sucks for the Leafs. But it's going to suck for a lot of competing teams, and in theory those teams should be cycling through every few years if the management adapts. If everyone is unhappy the cap rules are probably alright.

Last edited:

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Nba off season is so much fun and you aren't punished for drafting well. You get exemptions for resigning your draft picks. At least allow a designated player rule where only like $1m of a players salary counts against the Cap. The franchise tag.
It says a lot about a league when the only thing you're talking about being fun is the offseason. The NBA is a garbage league with zero competitive balance. You know who is going to be there at the end before the season even starts and it's fucking boring seeing the same teams make the finals 5 years in a row. The regular season doesn't mean anything and the playoffs don't matter because the same two teams steamroll through everybody.

You get exemptions for resigning your draft picks. At least allow a designated player rule where only like $1m of a players salary counts against the Cap. The franchise tag.
Only counting $1M of a $10M+ cap hit is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. You're asking to be able to sign Matthews + Marner for a little over what Matthews' cap hit is now. Completely ridiculous.

Maybe instead of needing unfair advantages, your franchise should put people in place can properly build a team.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe Jason Spezza, Cody Ceci and Ben Harpur are gonna lift the cup as Maple Leafs 11 months from now.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe Jason Spezza, Cody Ceci and Ben Harpur are gonna lift the cup as Maple Leafs 11 months from now.

I hope captain Spezza takes the Cup and then hands it off to Ceci first and it makes it's way through all the former Sens while a clearly unhappy Matthews gets angrier and angrier.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
When I saw that headline my first thought was how Kovalchuk actually said he picked the Kings because he wanted to win and everyone just politely smiled and nodded. Dude just say you wanted to live in a cool city on the coast with great weather - don't make us wonder if you weren't able to log into NHL.tv in Russia or didn't look at the standings before you picked your team.