• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't everyone remember when Ray Bourque went to win a cup with the 2000-01 Tampa Bay Lightning?

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question: what are the holes/weaknesses in Florida's lineup now? Bottom 6? Top 4 dmen?

Stralman is the biggest question, if he is healthy and recovered than the D, while not great, is pretty good. Getting out of Boughner's convoluted D strategy will help immensely.

Top 9 I'm not too worried about aside for Borgstrom still being green and Acciari makes the 4th decent as well.

D is still the weakest part of the team though, would prefer Pysyk replaced

calder

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
Pagnotta is a fantasist and barely more of a hockey insider than the average dope on this message board but I hope he's on to something here.
While I do agree with this for the most part and hate all things 4th period, he did have the bit about the Habs and Aho before anyone else, but he's also from Montreal, so maybe he has a source there.

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah nice to see the one thing Benning's regime was somewhat ok at is going to die too.

one step coser to being the oilers.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Someone offersheet Mitch Marner for over $10.5m. Do it cowards. Let's call Marner on his BS. Sign the offer sheet to go to Arizona or Ottawa or Florida. The only teams with cap space for you. We'll take the four 1st rounders.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Someone offersheet Mitch Marner for over $10.5m. Do it cowards. Let's call Marner on his BS. Sign the offer sheet to go to Arizona or Ottawa or Florida. The only teams with cap space for you. We'll take the four 1st rounders.

Actually I think the Leafs will only have about $9.5ish-mil in cap next year. So a team doesn't really have to offer $10.5mil to pry him from the Leafs hands, it's more a matter of if Marner would accept something about $2mil under what he was asking for. If the OS is ~$8.5mil-$10.5mil it's two 1sts, a 2nd and 3rd rounder. The downside to signing everyone else is that the Leafs hand is open in what they can offer Mitch.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Actually I think the Leafs will only have about $9.5ish-mil in cap next year. So a team doesn't really have to offer $10.5mil to pry him from the Leafs hands, it's more a matter of if Marner would accept something about $2mil under what he was asking for. If the OS is ~$8.5mil-$10.5mil it's two 1sts, a 2nd and 3rd rounder. The downside to signing everyone else is that the Leafs hand is open in what they can offer Mitch.
Leafs can clear a million in cap space easily if that was the case. If someone wants to hurt us, offer Marner 11x5.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
But aren't they allowed to match and go over the cap until the season starts? Just like Vegas right now?

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017

FUUUUCCCCKKKK PLEASE BE TRUEEE

Imagine if Toronto loses Marner and Kawaih to Lou and LeBron on the same day.

City might implode

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
But aren't they allowed to match and go over the cap until the season starts? Just like Vegas right now?

they can go 10% over the cap before the season starts so that's not a problem

capfriendly has 23 players on the current cap right now. You can go down to 20 so there's a few 700k more if needed temporarily there. Plus Hyman and Dermott will start on LITR for a month or two.

easy!

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
He somehow managed to do the impossible and made me side with that dumb piece of shit conservative.

In this instance, sure, it's a harmless diatribe from a disgruntled fan during the summer months.

However, it's awfully unprofessional of a politician to tee off on a constituent, even if he is a terrible businessman and owner. Worse, she didn't even deny it.

calder

Oct 25, 2017

FUUUUCCCCKKKK PLEASE BE TRUEEE

Imagine if Toronto loses Marner and Kawaih to Lou and LeBron on the same day.

City might implode

How on earth did he resist the urge to say "the team that's got cap space and a bit of a vendetta against the Leafs" god knows I'd say it every chance if that was my name.

Lou fucked Marner on his ELC signing bonuses.. i doubt he'd accept to go there

I dunno but for 12 mill I could probably get over it.

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
How on earth did he resist the urge to say "the team that's got cap space and a bit of a vendetta against the Leafs" god knows I'd say it every chance if that was my name.

I dunno but for 12 mill I could probably get over it.

well if it's 12mil I hope he signs cuz i'd rather have 4 1st rounders

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DO IT COWARDS

tho given how secretive Lou was with the Leafs this rumour is pretty surprising. Unless Lou just wants to fuck with the Leafs for free. I am not wrinkle brained enough for this.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
well if it's 12mil I hope he signs cuz i'd rather have 4 1st rounders

Really? Isn't the teams goal to contend while their core is this young and under contract. Mid round draft picks aren't gonna have the same on ice impact as a Mitch Marner in the next 4 years, even if you hit a home run with those picks.

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
Really? Isn't the teams goal to contend while their core is this young and under contract. Mid round draft picks aren't gonna have the same on ice impact as a Mitch Marner in the next 4 years, even if you hit a home run with those picks.

OK let me make it easier then...

Islanders have 8.6mil in cap space left and still have 2 RFAs while Leafs have more cap space than them and only need to sign Marner. It's not going to happen. lol. They lost out on Panarin and signed Lee. There's no 12mil/year on that team anymore

It would be another team

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
OK let me make it easier then...

Islanders have 8.6mil in cap space left and still have 2 RFAs while Leafs have more cap space than them and only need to sign Marner. It's not going to happen. lol. They lost out on Panarin and signed Lee. There's no 12mil/year on that team anymore

It would be another team
Beauvillier and Dal Colle aren't going to cost a ton to re-sign. Plus if they move Leddy like rumors have been suggesting, they easily have the cap space for Marner.

They'd have a bit of work to do the next few years to clear some space though. A compliance buyout with the lockout to clear Ladd's contract will make it a lot easier.

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
Beauvillier and Dal Colle aren't going to cost a ton to re-sign. Plus if they move Leddy like rumors have been suggesting, they easily have the cap space for Marner.

They'd have a bit of work to do the next few years to clear some space though. A compliance buyout with the lockout to clear Ladd's contract will make it a lot easier.

Hehe. can't wait what Lou will give Barzal next year..:)

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017

Probably the best move for him. He can't play at an NHL level anymore, which isn't surprising considering the pounding he took over the years.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, its not like she is wrong on any of those points.
Oh, for sure. This whole story is hilarious to me because you have a very public official (Minister of Sports, no less!) going out of her way to publicly cuss out Melnyk and then he turns around and decides to whine about it to the media whom he's always accused of being unfair to him.

Both of these people come out looking worse as a result of this story.

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
Well his numbers took a hit playing for Trotz so that might knock his cap hit down a bit. I guess we'll see what he does this year.

was it playing with Trotz or not playing with JT though? Barzal 25 pts less... Marner 30 pts more.. hmmm!!.. (JT stayed on par in points)

(I have no clue if JT was playing with Barzal)

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
was it playing with Trotz or not playing with JT though? Barzal 25 pts less... Marner 30 pts more.. hmmm!!.. (JT stayed on par in points)

(I have no clue if JT was playing with Barzal)
Almost everybody on the Islanders had their point totals drop, which Tavares is probably part of the reason for, but they also werent playing nearly as fast and loose as they were the year before.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm reading some of these Canadiens fansite pieces correctly we are only now starting Phase III of the brilliant 9 step master plan that MB has set in motion. The Aho offer sheet wasn't a whiffed attempt to get a great player at a good price, it was merely the first cunning step in a Machiavellian plot to, uh, [checks page] get some depth guys to not file for arb? Because of their agent?

Also funny to me:
Too many teams are bogged down with disappointing contracts, and the Canadiens arguably only have one at the moment: Karl Alzner's
"Arguably" doing some really heavy lifting in that sentence imo.