• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing Rasmus Ristolainen trade rumors all over which makes sense but I'm also seeing the Jets in the same rumors which is fucking outrageous. If we get rid of one overpaid shitty RHD in Myers only to go trade for another overrated RHD that the hockey men love but who not so secretly sucks at his job I'll lose my mind.

If we trade Ehlers for him I'll burn Bell MTS to the fucking ground.

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing Rasmus Ristolainen trade rumors all over which makes sense but I'm also seeing the Jets in the same rumors which is fucking outrageous. If we get rid of one overpaid shitty RHD in Myers only to go trade for another overrated RHD that the hockey men love but who not so secretly sucks at his job I'll lose my mind.

It'll be Laine AND Ehlers for Ristolainen and another Buffalo D-man.

Might as well burn down the whole city.

Oct 25, 2017
Benning wants to keep his crown of worst GM I see.
Dorion. By a wide margin. Then Benning has 2nd entirely to himself.

Also I love how consensus on Discord is that the contract is fair (notwithstanding injury concerns) but on here it's terrible. What is real.

My main issue with it is that Ferland is redundant and now we've got more money tied up in middle 6ers.

Oct 25, 2017

Screen-Shot-2019-06-23-at-9.20.51-PM.png

Projected Contract: $4.1M x 4 years
Micheal Ferland is an effective middle-six option, a goal-scorer with size that teams generally covet. He's particularly great at getting into dangerous areas and creating chances, though not so strong at drawing penalties and staying out of the box.

Based on the contract projected for him, Ferland looks like he could be relatively affordable for his skill-set and should command more for what he brings to the table. At 27, age isn't as large of a concern relative to other UFA's.

But there's a definite reason for reserved skepticism and that comes with the difficulty of his minutes. Last year in Carolina, Ferland spent 69 percent of his 5-on-5 time next to either Sebastian Aho or Teuvo Teravainen (or both). The year prior, it was 82 percent next to Johnny Gaudreau or Sean Monahan. He compliments and works well with great players, but there's a chance that his strong results are the product of who he plays with and not actually his own ability. In 1385 minutes with those star players, Ferland's teams have scored 3.42 goals-per-60. Without them on the ice, that falls to 1.78 goals-per-60 in 438 minutes. Before becoming an option on the Flames top line, Ferland looked mostly replaceable and it shows when he's apart.

That would give me plenty of pause with Ferland, but if he can be surrounded by talented offensive drivers, he could still provide underrated value in a team's middle six at the right price. Those expecting and paying for more will be disappointed.
So, fine contract. Maybe not the right fit. We need a play-driving 3C for all these dependent wingers we keep collecting.

Deleted member 4375

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sounds like I could make our defence at the rate we've hemorrhaged defenceman. I shoot right, so I should be a shoe-in.

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno are you sure?

4 years @ 3.5 million?

That's Brandon Tanev money!

Are we sure 17 goals and 40 points is worth superstar Tanev dough?

But thank god the Pens got 2 extra years!
I can't tell if you're exclusively mocking the Pens or if you're trying to drag the Canucks and Ferland down with you

We were already there, son

Though I don't mind the price. Wish it had been 3 years instead and don't think the Canucks of all times should be the ones adding another guy like Ferland

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if you're exclusively mocking the Pens or if you're trying to drag the Canucks and Ferland down with you

We were already there, son

Though I don't mind the price. Wish it had been 3 years instead and don't think the Canucks of all times should be the ones adding another guy like Ferland

I'm mocking the fuck out of my Pens.

Ferland is a better player at the same price for less tern

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Man I wish the NHL off-season was just as exciting as the NBA one lol. Imagine someone like Kane or Crosby switching their teams in the same off-season lol?

Also, Marner, fire your agent and keep your Dad away from negotiations.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Man I wish the NHL off-season was just as exciting as the NBA one lol. Imagine someone like Kane or Crosby switching their teams in the same off-season lol?

Also, Marner, fire your agent and keep your Dad away from negotiations.

The NBA has a more exciting offseason than actual season

The NHL has a more exciting actual season than offseason

I'm totally okay with the trade-off the salary cap gives us there.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
The NBA has a more exciting offseason than actual season

The NHL has a more exciting actual season than offseason

I'm totally okay with the trade-off the salary cap gives us there.

I agree with this

The NHL needs to stay far away from the clusterfuck that is the NBA salary cap rules.

I have a feeling 10k would be singing a different tune if he was a fan of, say, the Preds or the Canes rather than the Leafs(who would benefit the most from something like the NBA rules).

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Woof Pens dodged a bullet not trying to get this guy and his 20+ goals and 40-50 points a season for a short term and a cap hit under 3.5... thank god they played it smart and gave Tanev 3.5 over 6.... A CLEAR BARGAIN!

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I agree with this

The NHL needs to stay far away from the clusterfuck that is the NBA salary cap rules.

I have a feeling 10k would be singing a different tune if he was a fan of, say, the Preds or the Canes rather than the Leafs(who would benefit the most from something like the NBA rules).
True. The salary cap as currently constructed punishes teams for drafting well. Blackhawks had to break up after 2010. Jets drafted well and had to let good assets go. Leafs have to tie up half their cap to like 4 players. At least do a designated player rule where 1 slot per team can be assigned to any contract on the team where their cap hit is only 50%. And you can't trade that player during the season.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
True. The salary cap as currently constructed punishes teams for drafting well. Blackhawks had to break up after 2010. Jets drafted well and had to let good assets go. Leafs have to tie up half their cap to like 4 players. At least do a designated player rule where 1 slot per team can be assigned to any contract on the team where their cap hit is only 50%. And you can't trade that player during the season.

The NHL's salary cap punishes teams for giving out stupid contracts, not for drafting well. The fact that you can't become an unrestricted free agent in the NHL until after you've played 7 seasons or you're 27 years or older is a massive advantage to the team that drafted the player.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The NHL's salary cap punishes teams for giving out stupid contracts, not for drafting well. The fact that you can't become an unrestricted free agent in the NHL until after you've played 7 seasons or you're 27 years or older is a massive advantage to the team that drafted the player.
Ok. You try telling Auston Matthews you're not going to offer him 11.6m or Patrick Laine 10m+ and see where that takes you. Just because you have their rights doesn't mean they'll accept anything you throw at them. They can hold out or demand a trade.

Blackhawks drafted well and had to break the team apart because they had too many good players. Toews, Keith, Kane, Seabrook, Versteeg, Sharp, Byfuglien, Hossa, etc.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. You try telling Auston Matthews you're not going to offer him 11.6m or Patrick Laine 10m+ and see where that takes you. Just because you have their rights doesn't mean they'll accept anything you throw at them. They can hold out or demand a trade.

Blackhawks drafted well and had to break the team apart because they had too many good players. Toews, Keith, Kane, Seabrook, Versteeg, Sharp, Byfuglien, Hossa, etc.

Ok so you give those players a massive contract and then build the team around them as cornerstone pieces. Nobody forced the Leafs to sign UFA John Tavares to an $11m/yr contract but they did, now they have to work around the challenges of paying potentially three players $11+m/yr, this was the Leafs own doing and has nothing to do with the salary cap "punishing them for drafting well".

The 09-10 Blackhawks are a poor example because they only lost Byfuglien and Versteeg after that season and still managed to win 2 more cups after that.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the Blackhawks were punished for drafting well with three Stanley Cups. 😔

Oct 25, 2017
"for drafting well"

- You won the lottery and drafted one of the best 1OA players in the last decade
- You drafted at 4OA in one of the deepest drafts ever
- You went into free agency eyes open and gave $11 million per year to Tavares

Don't give us this sob story. Jesus christ Leafs fans are pathetic sometimes. The cap exists for good reasons and cap management is the reality, particularly when you want elite players or want to hold onto them. Fucking deal with it

Hawks drafted Kane at 1OA and Toews at 2OA, won Cups, paid them massively. They also gave Seabrook arguably the worst contract in the modern Era. They also won two Cups after being "broken up"

And who are all these "good assets" the Jets had to let go? Myers, Tanev and Hayes with their ridiculous contracts in free agency? The Jets are fine

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
And who are all these "good assets" the Jets had to let go? Myers, Tanev and Hayes with their ridiculous contracts in free agency? The Jets are fine
Not to mention all the players the Jets would lose in the no-cap world of decent-wifi-bigger-market teams throwing crazy money at younger players. The system isn't perfect, but it's got a bunch of decent compromises in it that ultimately encourage parity and stability on average.

alexthekid

Oct 1, 2018
"for drafting well"

- You won the lottery and drafted one of the best 1OA players in the last decade
- You drafted at 4OA in one of the deepest drafts ever
- You went into free agency eyes open and gave $11 million per year to Tavares

Don't give us this sob story. Jesus christ Leafs fans are pathetic sometimes. The cap exists for good reasons and cap management is the reality, particularly when you want elite players or want to hold onto them. Fucking deal with it

Hawks drafted Kane at 1OA and Toews at 2OA, won Cups, paid them massively. They also gave Seabrook arguably the worst contract in the modern Era. They also won two Cups after being "broken up"

Well said.

If you should try to make a sob story (you shouldnt) about the the position the Hawks got stuck in. At least dont mention Hossa with the players "draften well".

NHLs set up is fine. Combining the current draft system with a soft cap would be s complete shit show.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I went to Enterprise Center to check out Blues gear today and had a couple neat experiences.

First, ran into Bobby Plager (original Blue) and got to congratulate him on his parade. He was gracious as always and chatting up all the fans while shopping for his family. The man always has time for everyone, posing for pics and visiting. I can't say enough good things about him.

Second, almost took a picture but decided to go in for more info. There was a Jets fan totally decked out in his Scheifele shirt and team cap, but buying an armload of Blues gear. We ended up talking for half hour.. he'd lost a bet and he was in St. Louis via car while traveling home after vacationing in Florida. Apparently he'll be wearing a Blues jersey and some other items next season. He was as knowledgeable a hockey fan as you'll run into and very fun to visit.. have a safe trip hope Paul!

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Friedman on 31 Thoughts talking about the price for Ristolainen being very high.

Hockey please figure out how to evaluate and judge defensive play please.

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
Friedman on 31 Thoughts talking about the price for Ristolainen being very high.

Hockey please figure out how to evaluate and judge defensive play please.
I'm trying to think of the last player that had a similarly large gap between views from the analytics community vs general hockey consensus, but I can't come up with one. The gap here is just so large, I don't get it.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to think of the last player that had a similarly large gap between views from the analytics community vs general hockey consensus, but I can't come up with one. The gap here is just so large, I don't get it.

I think the biggest thing is that if you're a dman who struggles with entries/exits or in your own end but you have a good shot or pass on the PP you'll get counting stats and those are still the first and last thing so many people look at. Then you get into the whole 'eye test' thing which guys like Risto and Myers excel at - and don't get me wrong both are decent to good NHL players depending on usage but they have reps beyond what they offer.

Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention all the players the Jets would lose in the no-cap world of decent-wifi-bigger-market teams throwing crazy money at younger players. The system isn't perfect, but it's got a bunch of decent compromises in it that ultimately encourage parity and stability on average.
Yup. I kept it to "good reasons" so as not to go down that rabbit hole with bad faith shitheads, but I agree. Canucks would be one of the teams to benefit from a soft cap or no cap but fuck it

calder

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't stress too much, I mean the deal is for 6 years and sure I can easily imagine him being bought out in 2 years which would mean the last 4 years get paid out over 8 years so even then in a short decade he'd be off the books! 10 years is nothing, the Mets will be paying Bobby Bonilla just over a million dollars a year to not play baseball for them until the year 2035, and he retired in 2001.

In that context, you can enjoy watching Tanev practically without worry.

Bonus Tanev gif (stupid sexy Adam Lowry not included in Tanev deal):

tumblr_pm3f0ftIHG1ugk65ko1_500.gif

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Things I did not expect to see when scrolling Twitter:

Weirdest part of that batshit hypothetical is that I can't answer it without knowing if my 'sacrifice' would be known. I mean, you'd be both a minor celebrity and also an infamous weirdo in your community if everyone knew what you'd done and why. And wouldn't it cheapen the win if everyone knew it was achieved through some sort of mystical trickery? But if it wasn't known would that make you less likely to go through with it?

calder

Oct 25, 2017

Sadly, a two year contract is a great deal for the Blues even if Bennington turns into the next Hammond or Carey.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
William "7 goals for $10M" Nylander switching his number to 88 to match the number of points he is going to rack up
this season and next combined

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

Sadly, a two year contract is a great deal for the Blues even if Bennington turns into the next Hammond or Carey.

They hedged their bets. It'll cost them if he winds up being Patrick Roy but it's the safe play and lets them get all the RFA's signed.. and hopefully eventual cap space for Petro and Schenn extensions. According to one of the Blues writers for The Athletic they didn't discuss anything long term because of the unique circumstances. Binnington wants to bet on himself and Blues wouldn't take on anything with a lot of long term risk. 1-2 years was the whole discussion.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
https://nypost.com/2019/07/13/where-curious-rangers-jacob-trouba-talks-could-go-from-here/

But if this drags on and Trouba wants to bet on himself, he could theoretically turn a seven-year contract into a nine-year commitment and guarantee himself an extra $15 million or so of owner Jim Dolan's treasure chest. It is possible.
The 25-year-old American — whom the Rangers envision as their matchup, first-pair righty and first-unit power-play guy through this transition into contention and beyond — cannot sign an eight-year max term contract with the team until the trade deadline passes. Hence, Trouba could opt for a one-year deal via arbitration then sign an eight-year extension either late in the season or before July 1. That, of course, could not be a topic of conversation between the parties at this time, much less agreed upon, for that would represent circumvention.
But if Trouba takes this path, he'd get a sum of around $70 million rather than $55 million, presuming that a one-year arbitration award is likely to come in closer to $6.75 million than $7.75 million based on existing comparables. Going this way would represent a risk for Trouba, but he went through arbitration last summer and played on a one-year $5.5 million award while turning in the most productive season (8 goals, 42 assists, 50 points) of his career.

tenor.gif