• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
@GameTimeArt
The best hockey player born on your birthday has to score on a penalty shot to save your life. The goalie he's facing is the starter of the Stanley Cup champs the year you graduated high school.

Stan Smyl on Tom Barrasso.......... No good hockey players on my Bday.. rofl

edit: wait i'm not that old.. it's not Tom Barrasso.. when did I graduate... it's goddamn Martin Brodeur... i'm dead.

Cool! I get to pick Gordie Howe on Nikolai Khabibulin.

Tom Barrasso also shares my birthday and so does Pavel Bure.

But I also have Michael Ryder and David Clarkson. LOL

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017
Vasilevskiy signed an 9.5 million per year extension for 8 years. Still has a year left before it goes into effect.

Very good deal, 3rd highest paid goalie after Bobrovsky and Price and is 25 years old.

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
Making a shitload more than Price because of the tax break though. In reality it's Bob, Vasi and then Price.. heh.

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
Habs really going to enter the season with Chiarot and Kinkaid as their upgrades

Jesus Christ

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Hell, even toronto falls under that criteria

Frigging ceci just go away already

There was rumours that shattenkirk would be bought out but hasn't yet come to fruition... so we expect if anything happens on that front it would happen tomorrow

Buffalo is probably the biggest target if I were to guess because they've been trying to move Risto and they also have Bogosian and Scandella just wasting cap space but they're on last year deals so easier to move

I'd look at Detroit being a team that might take on a bad contract for a price as they have a stupid amount of cap space to work with... $5 mil in cap and $10 mil LTIR

Last edited:

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

THE GOOSE IS LOOSE IN JERSEY!

tenor.gif

Man. Considering how the team did jack shit last offseason it's weird to actually see a productive offseason where the team is getting objectively better. At least now, should Hall not resign I can't look at this and say that Shero didn't at least try and make the situation here look somewhat competitive for a cup.

Of course this latest move is based mostly on speculation of how his skill set will transfer over to the NHL. But at least from what I've seen he hopefully should be able to contribute in some way without being a total liability.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Oh, he replaced Schneider?

That's a whole other can of worms.

To be fair to Schneider, the defense hasn't never been particularly good in front of him.

But it's no secret that Schneider's been more hype than substance. Doesn't help either that he's had a tough time staying on the ice as of late. Would have loved to see Shero make a bigger play for a competent net minder but in light of that there's been plenty of other moves this offseason that are worth consideration from Hall's camp that the organization is at least serious about wanting to be competitive now and in the near future.

Unfortunately Cory is locked in for another three seasons with a no-trade clause. So it's not like he's going to be moved any time soon, and his $6 million cap hit per season isn't something you'd want relegated to a backup goaltender. I think really they gotta role with Schneider for this season and then reevaluate what they want to do in the final two years of his deal. There's going to be some decent names out there in the free agent market in 2020-2021, so if they wanted to try and make something work then they'd be in a slightly better situation than they are now.

Oct 25, 2017
That's a whole other can of worms.

To be fair to Schneider, the defense hasn't never been particularly good in front of him.

But it's no secret that Schneider's been more hype than substance. Doesn't help either that he's had a tough time staying on the ice as of late. Would have loved to see Shero make a bigger play for a competent net minder but in light of that there's been plenty of other moves this offseason that are worth consideration from Hall's camp that the organization is at least serious about wanting to be competitive now and in the near future.

Unfortunately Cory is locked in for another three seasons with a no-trade clause. So it's not like he's going to be moved any time soon, and his $6 million cap hit per season isn't something you'd want relegated to a backup goaltender. I think really they gotta role with Schneider for this season and then reevaluate what they want to do in the final two years of his deal. There's going to be some decent names out there in the free agent market in 2020-2021, so if they wanted to try and make something work then they'd be in a slightly better situation than they are now.
I think Blackwood is the bigger and more important question. Can he be a starter on a competitive team?

If he can, then maybe buy out Schneider next summer. If he can't.... then maybe buy out Schneider next summer.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017

Eugene is possibly icing a $40M payroll team this Fall.

BUY YO TICKETS YOU UNGRATEFUL BUREAUCRATIC CUNTSS!!!

Now that's some actual cap circumvention.

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017
Should've got more for taking on Callahan than getting the 31st pick in the 5th round for the 1st pick in the 6th.

But then again, Melnyk was probably happy just saving a bunch of money.