• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

calder

Oct 25, 2017

Wow

Dammit Red, I was too slow. Ah well, insert your own "Red posted that news like a lizard takes his tongue and retrieves a tweet" reference.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Me too, it's a damn shame he was let go so soon as I felt he was doing a horrible job. Ah well.
At least he signed another aging player to an inflated contract before he was fired. That was an on-brand signing for the Wild, not sure why ownership took issue?

Fubar do you have some insight on this?

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Fubar is frantically updating his CV to email to the Wild, he'll be a minute.

This is Minnesota's man.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
While they could obviously go the route of Hextall/Fitzgerald/whomever, I am honestly a bit curious if they might give the GM role to Modano. They just hired him in a sort of unspecified role a few weeks ago. They might hope he can step right in as a Yzerman-esque savant.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I think Blackwood is the bigger and more important question. Can he be a starter on a competitive team?

If he can, then maybe buy out Schneider next summer. If he can't.... then maybe buy out Schneider next summer.

That's a strong possibility, especially considering that you have Holtby for instance becoming a free agent next summer, or could do a shorter deal for a Jimmy Howard. Or you can try to make a trade for an expiring contract like Tuuka Rask's, Devan Dubnyk's or Frederick Anderson's.

I mean the big move would have been this year to get Bobrovsky, but I don't think Shero was ever going to be in the running there unless he could absolutely fleece someone into taking Schneider and getting back some picks. But you're not wrong, Shero should be looking to get out from Schneider's contract short of him putting up a Vezina-worthy performance this year, which to say the least is doubtful.

Oct 25, 2017
While they could obviously go the route of Hextall/Fitzgerald/whomever, I am honestly a bit curious if they might give the GM role to Modano. They just hired him in a sort of unspecified role a few weeks ago. They might hope he can step right in as a Yzerman-esque savant.
Why would they hope or expect that? Because he scored 50 goals once? You speak about Modano as if hiring him as GM would be a good idea!

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Fenton wanted to move Parise and the Wild fired him before he could do so. That actually would have been a good idea.

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
Scott Wheeler is so fucking cringe, I'm pretty sure he's climbed the rankings for most annoying reporter at the moment

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Because he's old, injured all of the time, signed for six more years and is a primadomna.

Any return would assuredly be undervalue. He is older, has a bad contract, and is injured consistently. None of those bring back a good return, even if he is good for a projected 30+30 for the next few years.

Plus, if he is in Minnesota, it's possible he plays out his contract. If he goes to somewhere out East, how likely is it that he plays out those full six years? Pretty low. He'd have a higher chance of retiring early somewhere else, so we avoid potential cap recapture penalties if he sticks around here.

A lot of big names up there

Fenton's big boner for Kevin Fiala is gone now, so at least we'll avoid the 8 year 7m that he was probably going to give him.

I fully expect whoever the new GM is (apparently Hextall is the front runner. New Jersey's Fitzgerald was a finalist last time, so he'll presumably get another crack at interviewing if he wants) will trade at least one of Fiala/Donato/Greenway before the season starts.

Oct 25, 2017
He'd have a higher chance of retiring early somewhere else, so we avoid potential cap recapture penalties if he sticks around here.
Think about this. Him playing out six more years at a $7.5m cap hit while he deteriorates to the point of below replacement value (this is inevitable) is not necessarily superior to a cap recapture penalty.

He will go on LTIR just like the rest did (apart from Luongo thanks to Florida) so that he gets paid without a cap hit.

Oct 26, 2017
Fenton's big boner for Kevin Fiala is gone now, so at least we'll avoid the 8 year 7m that he was probably going to give him.

I fully expect whoever the new GM is (apparently Hextall is the front runner. New Jersey's Fitzgerald was a finalist last time, so he'll presumably get another crack at interviewing if he wants) will trade at least one of Fiala/Donato/Greenway before the season starts.

I'm sure whatever GM takes over will still be more than happy to pay Fiala top dollar to pass the puck to the other team multiple times per game

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Expect some activity from the Rangers today. Our buyout window ends this evening, and the team needs to shed a whole bunch of cap space. By all reports there's been no market for Namestnikov or Strome, so if that holds up the only recourses are either buyouts or trading Kreider (or both).

calder

Oct 25, 2017
5M AAV over 7 years for Girard is a good bet for both sides it feels like. Avs obviously expecting him to improve at both ends and at his age that's a good bet, assuming he's even useful on the second pair he'd be well worth that hit for most of those years and if he's better than that it's a great bargain for the team. And Girard gets a nice raise that kicks in 2020 and security now while still on his ELC.

Oct 25, 2017
Can you translate what I'm seeing on these images?
Below average impact for both offense and defense, averaged over the last three years. Apparently he slightly improved w/r/t shot impacts last season

He skates well, is skilled and IIRC is very good at zone entries so there's a hope that the other pieces will come as his game matures.

Edit - also he's decent on the PP and is extremely disciplined (might be an indication that he doesn't battle hard enough but I dunno)

OP
OP
zroid

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Gonna say it again, since I finally got the gift code from when Syrinx signed up (so yes it's a real thing!)

anyone wants to sub to the Athletic for 40% off the regular annual rate and get $25 in amazon.com credit as a bonus, let me know and i will hook you up

this is a very good deal if you shop at amazon.com at all

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Below average impact for both offense and defense, averaged over the last three years. Apparently he slightly improved w/r/t shot impacts last season

He skates well, is skilled and IIRC is very good at zone entries so there's a hope that the other pieces will come as his game matures.

Edit - also he's decent on the PP and is extremely disciplined (might be an indication that he doesn't battle hard enough but I dunno)
He's very good at breaking up plays cleanly. He doesn't "battle hard" although if he did I don't think it would really help him defensively at all.

Oct 25, 2017
He's very good at breaking up plays cleanly. He doesn't "battle hard" although if he did I don't think it would really help him defensively at all.
I'm not even talking about playing physically, if that's what you're thinking - more 'effort level'. Digging in along the boards, fishing for the puck, being desperate. There is a line to be walked where occasionally you'll accidentally trip a player or be called for holding/interference just by virtue of being tenacious, but for the most part you're making it difficult on the opposition.

Like, what I said (and explained above) was just speculation, but I did check just now and he's literally the lowest in the entire league for PIM/GP (min 41 games). To some extent that should be applauded for sure, but I wonder if overall being so 'clean' invariably means you're less effective?

Razorskin

Oct 25, 2017
Expect some activity from the Rangers today. Our buyout window ends this evening, and the team needs to shed a whole bunch of cap space. By all reports there's been no market for Namestnikov or Strome, so if that holds up the only recourses are either buyouts or trading Kreider (or both).
Breaking: Rangers sign Amanda Kessel to a one year deal.

nyr_070219_.jpg

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Did he just completely fall off a cliff or is he just the most buyoutable?
He's been injured for almost his entire time in NY, offers more savings than buying out Staal, no longer fits on a team that has Jacob Trouba and Tony DeAngelo leading the power play, and the team is already probably going to partially bury Brendan Smith in the AHL (again) unless the kids really can't perform.

A Shattenkirk buyout was the primary thing we were expecting. In order of likelihood, it was Shattenkirk > Smith > Staal.