• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Who can't imagine Matthew's booming fake laugh as he yells "Good one, Coach!" after a mumbly Babcock joke?

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
https://theathletic.com/1123303/201...ings-fans-weigh-in-on-how-each-team-is-doing/

Dom just published the NHL fan confidence rankings thank god I was about to do some work there for a minute.

31st place is the Wild, which is inevitable but seems a bit harsh to me. I definitely had Ottawa as last when I filled out my survey.

Top 3

Screen-Shot-2019-08-07-at-12.55.38-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-07-at-12.55.16-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-07-at-12.54.21-PM.png

Canadian Teams
Screen-Shot-2019-08-07-at-12.53.28-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-07-at-12.50.06-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-07-at-12.44.35-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-07-at-12.49.27-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-07-at-12.48.09-PM.png
Screen-Shot-2019-08-07-at-12.45.17-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-07-at-12.45.08-PM.png

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
8th feels about right. Lots to feel confident about but no tangible results just yet, and those may still realistically be a year or two away even after all of this activity, especially with the cap crunch we're going to be hit with in 2020-21 in particular.

Oct 25, 2017
Canucks fans most realistic and the rest of you just don't quite recognize how bad it is

Pettersson and to a lesser extent Boeser have pulled the wool over many eyes

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
No i just mean its dumb that fan confidence in the Hawks is that low.
3.2 seems rather neutral. Which makes some sense when you have a coach that hasn't had a full season under his belt and that's a wild card. They should be somewhat positive given Dach, but who knows if he's ready for a second line role which is what you need.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
3.2 seems rather neutral. Which makes some sense when you have a coach that hasn't had a full season under his belt and that's a wild card. They should be somewhat positive given Dach, but who knows if he's ready for a second line role which is what you need.
Strome is perfectly fine for a 2C. Once Toews starts to slide as he ages he'll get bumped down to 3C and Dach/Strome will hopefully be 1C/2C. If Dach even makes the club this year, he's most likely 3C so they can shelter him for awhile.

Oct 25, 2017
The Chicago Hockey Team may never have another winning season. Their heinous reign is over.

Also, I hereby exert my inalienable right to make the OT when the season starts.

Oct 26, 2017
Preds at 11th with the narrative being that Poile can build a contender, but doesn't know the final move to turn them into a championship team. Can't argue with that.

The public opinion on drafting (10th) vs fan opinion (21st) is amusing too. Seems like everyone outside of the fanbase is seeing their endless supply of defensemen, while Preds fans see their recent success at forward, which includes Viktor Arvidsson and...

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
https://theathletic.com/1123303/201...ings-fans-weigh-in-on-how-each-team-is-doing/

Dom just published the NHL fan confidence rankings thank god I was about to do some work there for a minute.

31st place is the Wild, which is inevitable but seems a bit harsh to me. I definitely had Ottawa as last when I filled out my survey.

Where's Pittsburgh? They have to be right near the top after they signed the steal of the off season, the Crown Jewel of July 1st, Brandon Tanev to a reasonable 6 year 3.5 per limited nmc contract!!!!

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Where's Pittsburgh? They have to be right near the top after they signed the steal of the off season, the Crown Jewel of July 1st, Brandon Tanev to a reasonable 6 year 3.5 per limited nmc contract!!!!

A fairly reasonable 26th. Dom notes that a couple of Cup winning teams from the recent past show up near the bottom of the rankings and it's easy to see how elite teams on the decline start to lose the confidence of the fans.

Fan comments for the Pens made me chuckle:
"Best moves are made fixing a previous mistake, only to take the cap savings and spend on a new mistake."

"Rutherford had a great start in Pittsburgh and built a team based on speed and skill. Then he inexplicably got away from this strategy and started making bad trades (Reaves) and even worse FA signings (Johnson, Tanev). During his tenure in Pittsburgh I've never had less confidence in him than I have right now."

"Jim Rutherford started in Pittsburgh as Norman Osborn but he's going to leave it as the Green Goblin."

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
A fairly reasonable 26th. Dom notes that a couple of Cup winning teams from the recent past show up near the bottom of the rankings and it's easy to see how elite teams on the decline start to lose the confidence of the fans.

"Best moves are made fixing a previous mistake, only to take the cap savings and spend on a new mistake."

"Rutherford had a great start in Pittsburgh and built a team based on speed and skill. Then he inexplicably got away from this strategy and started making bad trades (Reaves) and even worse FA signings (Johnson, Tanev). During his tenure in Pittsburgh I've never had less confidence in him than I have right now."

"Jim Rutherford started in Pittsburgh as Norman Osborn but he's going to leave it as the Green Goblin."

That's where I hoped
Their window is closed

Oct 25, 2017
Preds at 11th with the narrative being that Poile can build a contender, but doesn't know the final move to turn them into a championship team. Can't argue with that.

The public opinion on drafting (10th) vs fan opinion (21st) is amusing too. Seems like everyone outside of the fanbase is seeing their endless supply of defensemen, while Preds fans see their recent success at forward, which includes Viktor Arvidsson and...
A reminder that the Preds aren't necessarily alone:
Screenshot-20190809-094651-01.jpg

Some teams, like the Canucks, don't even make this list because they don't have a single player to feature.

This is a wonderful line.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Cole Perfetti just went all Toews in the Hlinka/Gretzky semifinals. Glad I pulled out my phone to watch the shootout, that was nuts.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have the same chart but with 1st round picks??
Screenshot-20190810-102122-01.jpg

Gaudette is still not good.
Vancouver, meanwhile, has gotten 281 games played outside of the first-round which can't be ignored, but it hasn't translated to much value yet because all of Nikita Tryamkin, Gustav Forsling and Adam Gaudette are still below replacement level. How the Canucks look with respect to their drafting outside the first round under Benning will depend heavily on the development of Gaudette and Thatcher Demko.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I was at a funeral today and saw some cousins and one of them was holding 2yr old child who turned out to be his fucking grandkid.

My cousin is the same age as me
giphy.gif

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
I was at a funeral today and saw some cousins and one of them was holding 2yr old child who turned out to be his fucking grandkid.

My cousin is the same age as me
giphy.gif
Same thing happened to my cousin this year. He's my age and he just became a grandfather couple months ago. Waaay too young to have grandkids already.