• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Alright so the issues from last season's fantasy hockey, as I remember them:

• Roster setting. There was confusion before the season on how weekly vs daily worked, and if I remember right (could be wrong) voting on this beforehand had low turnout and weekly barely edged out daily, so that is what we went with. Once the season started, weekly's faults were exposed and people were upset. Sounds like most want to go to dailies this year? I am fine with it, though it is literally setting a lineup every day. Thankfully, yahoo has a "set active lineup" thing that automatically fills in slots so players on your bench arent left out. You'll just have to remember to hit that button every day.
  • Waivers: last year, it was structured similar to fantasy football. Every week you submitted a waiver claim(s) on players you wanted and then those waivers cleared on one specific day, so everyone got their new players at the same time. Issue with that is the waiting game, where you could want someone that day, but you dont get them until like 3-4 days later.
  • Waivers: other options would be the more fluid waivers/free agency where if a player is undrafted, they start the season on waivers for X number of days, then they are a free agent. We as owners would put in claims based on waiver priority and at the end of it, player goes to whomever put in a claim and has highest rotating priority. If they are a free agent, you can freely pick them up in the morning and play them that night. If player is dropped, they are on waivers again for X number of days before being a free agent. We can set a limit on how many transactions you have a week to combat someone playing the wire every day to get a competitive advantage. This system is my preferred way to do it, but it definitely rewards those most active and can be detrimental to those that dont put in as much time. Transaction limits also help level the playing field a bit, but not entirely.
  • The draft: as I recall, we kind of left it to the last minute and as a result the draft was cobbled together with most schedules and one or two people ended up missing it. It's tough to care when you dont construct the team. This issue could be mitigated with proper planning, so I dont think this should be an issue this season.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Alright so the issues from last season's fantasy hockey, as I remember them:

• Roster setting. There was confusion before the season on how weekly vs daily worked, and if I remember right (could be wrong) voting on this beforehand had low turnout and weekly barely edged out daily, so that is what we went with. Once the season started, weekly's faults were exposed and people were upset. Sounds like most want to go to dailies this year? I am fine with it, though it is literally setting a lineup every day. Thankfully, yahoo has a "set active lineup" thing that automatically fills in slots so players on your bench arent left out. You'll just have to remember to hit that button every day.
  • Waivers: last year, it was structured similar to fantasy football. Every week you submitted a waiver claim(s) on players you wanted and then those waivers cleared on one specific day, so everyone got their new players at the same time. Issue with that is the waiting game, where you could want someone that day, but you dont get them until like 3-4 days later.
  • Waivers: other options would be the more fluid waivers/free agency where if a player is undrafted, they start the season on waivers for X number of days, then they are a free agent. We as owners would put in claims based on waiver priority and at the end of it, player goes to whomever put in a claim and has highest rotating priority. If they are a free agent, you can freely pick them up in the morning and play them that night. If player is dropped, they are on waivers again for X number of days before being a free agent. We can set a limit on how many transactions you have a week to combat someone playing the wire every day to get a competitive advantage. This system is my preferred way to do it, but it definitely rewards those most active and can be detrimental to those that dont put in as much time. Transaction limits also help level the playing field a bit, but not entirely.
  • The draft: as I recall, we kind of left it to the last minute and as a result the draft was cobbled together with most schedules and one or two people ended up missing it. It's tough to care when you dont construct the team. This issue could be mitigated with proper planning, so I dont think this should be an issue this season.

Yahoo lets you set the daily schedule a week or a month or however long you want in advance. So you don't need to click a button every day - if you want you can set it once a day or you can customize each day's lineup for the coming week on the weekend.

I think I'd personally prefer categories but no real strong opinion on it, and no opinion on waivers.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
s06cben1jsk31.jpg

353.gif

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
So, Comcast, Direct TV, and Dish are all having a feud with Altitude TV and have stopped airing the channel.

Anyone know how this works in regards to blackouts? I haven't subscribed to Altitude since I dropped years ago, and I just VPN around the blackout with my NHL TV subscription.

If the feud continues can I look forward to not having to bother with VPN?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
SJS: "Marleau is not in our plans because we wanna give the young kids a chance in the lineup"
Also SJS: Signs 40 year old Joe Thornton

Must be a kick in the balls for Patty Marleau to see that this morning

Everyone knew Thornton was coming back and Thornton does more to help the younger kids elevate their game than Marleau would.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
SJS: "Marleau is not in our plans because we wanna give the young kids a chance in the lineup"
Also SJS: Signs 40 year old Joe Thornton

Must be a kick in the balls for Patty Marleau to see that this morning
You know that Joe and Patty are besties and were absolutely trying to come back together, until Marleau decided to look elsewhere, right?

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Andreas Johnsson looks like a combination of two other quasi-familiar people and I can't quite put my finger on who and it's driving me nuts.

EDy4aL7X4AAirb6

calder

Oct 25, 2017
It's just too bad Gardiner isn't quite good/tall enough to make Tyler Myers type money or term.

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
What is that contract?...... teams must be really scared of his back issues, what a steal for the Canes if he stays healthy.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck, how is that the best offer he got? Did he have a deal in place that fell through? I feel like so many teams would've matched that.