• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone with an Athletic subscription, Russo has a pretty great article on Malkin, and his off season. It's a great read for even non Pens fans, I had no idea his relationship with Kessel was so bad.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the quiet before the storm... Avs have nothing on today and camp finally opens tomorrow. With the team hitting the actual ice the day after on Friday.

(Rantanen is going to miss some of camp isn't he)

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So like, why doesnt someone just offer sheet Marner and be done with it? Theres enough teams including my own that have either flubbed enough 1st round picks or tend to pick in the lower half that losing 4 1st rounders probably won't change their fates too much.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
So like, why doesnt someone just offer sheet Marner and be done with it? Theres enough teams including my own that have either flubbed enough 1st round picks or tend to pick in the lower half that losing 4 1st rounders probably won't change their fates too much.

Idk many teams that can afford him at this point

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017

I wish this would be the way it goes. But maybe no teams want to pay him that much (that have the cap)?

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I doubt any team could make a legit offer to Marner now with rosters basically full. Maybe a team with very low payroll, but they wouldn't be the ones who wanted him anyway.

a916

Oct 25, 2017

He has to sign it, and it sounds like he wants a Werenski deal.

No one in their right mind wants to throw away 4 1sts for 3 years of Marner, after which he'd have arbitration rights and his QO would be something dumb stupid like 11-13M. He could just accept the QO and walk to free agency in 4 years. That's terrifying.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
if he wants more than 8x11. They should just let him play in Switzerland for the year; or whatever he wanted to do.

No one is matching that offer and I wouldn't sign him for anything more then that (even 8x11 is a huge over-payment imo).

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Seravalli with a really good article about how having two RFA's is extra stressful for the Jets. Why every day matters for Jets with Laine and Connor

It was quite alarming to read! So to cheer myself up I went to r/leafs
bwtrSlp.png

Ahh that's better.

Nameless908 190 points 19 hours ago
Shove it right in his face. Matthews is our #1 C, franchise player and captain. You're not getting his money.

Good, good... let the hate flow through you.

Last edited:

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I still don't understand how the Leafs sign Marner... They have zero cap space. Even if they only pay him 1 mil for this season, his cap average will still be 9-11 mil which puts them over. They'd have to trade away like 8 players to get under the cap.

samyy

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand how the Leafs sign Marner... They have zero cap space. Even if they only pay him 1 mil for this season, his cap average will still be 9-11 mil which puts them over. They'd have to trade away like 8 players to get under the cap.

Technically you can exceed the cap in the off-season by a certain amount. Once the season starts the Leafs would put Horton and Clarkson on LTIR which will allow them to exceed the cap by $10.5M.

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
You forget about the capital of cap circumvention, "Rhobidas Island"!

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Technically you can exceed the cap in the off-season by a certain amount. Once the season starts the Leafs would put Horton and Clarkson on LTIR which will allow them to exceed the cap by $10.5M.

who are DEFINITELY only long-term injured and definitely totally NO retired, they'll return any moment now! aaaaany moment!

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
if he wants more than 8x11. They should just let him play in Switzerland for the year; or whatever he wanted to do.

No one is matching that offer and I wouldn't sign him for anything more then that (even 8x11 is a huge over-payment imo).

pretty much. Just tell him "let's try contract talk NEXT summer. have fun losing out on 10-11mil this year" and hang up. lol. It'd be a tough thing to tell his agent, but the line needs to be drawn somewhere

calder

Oct 25, 2017

Please Chevy, please get even one of our RFA's signed so I can really just fully enjoy the Marner saga.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
pretty much. Just tell him "let's try contract talk NEXT summer. have fun losing out on 10-11mil this year" and hang up. lol. It'd be a tough thing to tell his agent, but the line needs to be drawn somewhere
If he doesn't sign now, I don't think there will be any contract talks next year.

a916

Oct 25, 2017

Please Chevy, please get even one of our RFA's signed so I can really just fully enjoy the Marner saga.

The one caveat is that Chicago signed their accessory players to big money while giving Toews/Kane much less than they deserved. Marner is good enough that he deserves getting paid but yeah... they need to build on that defense too.

calder

Oct 25, 2017

A captain and four (4!) alternates! So much leadership! You know Nashville is bummed they never thought of that, now they can't raise a 'Four Alternate Captains 19-20' banner.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how to handle all this leadership
What do you mean? The leadership group will let you know how to act and comport yourself in the room, due to the example of their leadership. You'll be handling that leadership so well it will be all you can talk about during media interviews for months.

calder

Oct 25, 2017

Not the signing I was hoping for today, but I'll take it.

Morrissey at max term for less AAV than Trouba, while being better the better dman overall, feels pretty damn good.

Last edited: