• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like everyone is knee-jerk reacting without actually looking at the trade. I still don't understand it. Did Calgary downgrade their D to get a serviceable scoring 2C? Did they want to get more mobile overall? Are the rumours about Hamilton true?

And did Carolina have a glut of centres? I didn't think so

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I mean... the Flames have some upside in the deal, but they're playing the hope game here. Haninfin isn't exactly a huge upgrade on Hamilton in the error department, and a massive downgrade in every other department today. The Flames were already kind of soft and Ferlund was one of the few exceptions there. They're hunting for goals and they gave a good NCAA prospect to downgrade in the immediate future. Giordano is 35. Brodie has diminished.

I guess Hamilton might just be an asshole, but I think this deal has more chance to go wrong for them than Carolina.

I feel like everyone is knee-jerk reacting without actually looking at the trade. I still don't understand it. Did Calgary downgrade their D to get a serviceable scoring 2C? Did they want to get more mobile overall? Are the rumours about Hamilton true?

And did Carolina have a glut of centres? I didn't think so

Lindholm is more of a winger as it turns out.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I guess my issue with the trade is that the Hurricanes have always been super strong on D and in this trade they got... more D and Ferland. Doesn't really address their issues.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the full Rangers rundown barring any trades (which I'm not expecting):

That Lindbom pick in the second round seems like a huge mistake. That's way too early to pick a goalie that we don't really need with Shestyorkin, Huska, Georgiev, Halverson, and Wall in the system (and Hank still the face of the franchise for at least 3 more years), and it allowed the Islanders to take Bode Wilde with the very next pick. Not really sure what the thought process was there.

A couple decent-ish picks in rounds 2-6 but nothing very inspiring. Don Cherry would be twitching with all the Euros in there (6 total, including 4 Swedes). I really like our first round haul, though, and we certainly do have a ton of young defensemen in the system now. Rykov, Hajek, Miller, Lundkvist, and Lindgren could all be in blue at some point within the next 3 years or so. So while I don't think we did as well as we could have overall, we are walking away with some key elements of the future core of the team.

And safe to say K'Andre Miller is already a fan favorite if the general online sentiment is anything to go by.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
The canes trades seem to have to do with them not getting extensions done as well. Haven't heard if Hanifin was giving them trouble but Lindholm was.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like this draft was a pretty clear sign of what Dubas looks for in a prospect. Every pick seemed to be made from a point production standpoint, not a single physical specimen in the bunch.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Was kind of hoping the Habs would've grabbed Hallander. I'd read quite a few good reports on him.

Edit: I don't see the Car/Cal trade as bad for either team really

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be happy with any combination of
High prospect, 2nd-3rd pick
Or decent prospect, 1st pick

For Patches. If they have to eat a salary player to get it done, so be it. I don't think they'll get the high return they want.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Rangers traded into the 7th round at the last second to take Riley Hughes with the second-to-last pick. Apparently Pronman had him listed potentially as high as round 2 (though he expected him to go in round 6 or 7), so that seems like a good move at the end of the draft.

Trade was just a straight swap of 7th round picks, by the way. The Rangers got Carolina's 7th round pick in exchange for a 2019 7th round pick.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Imagine justifying a trade on character grounds when that's the best you can come up with. I mean, it's no raising money for a hospital while black, but come on.

Oct 25, 2017
It's wild because I just popped into this thread from twitter where analytics people are absolutely dragging Calgary for this trade and saying for Eric Tulsky just plundered the Flames, so the whiplash I am experiencing lol
I think it's because people kinda know Hanifin and they feel like Lindholm is supposed to be good but they don't know Hamilton. Because to me the trade is at least pretty even, if not a 'win' for Carolina

I feel like Calgary's hand was forced with Hamilton and they honestly got a decent return

Oct 25, 2017
I've been travelling and am way out of the loop. I see that Bergevin has continued his rampage. Have I missed other big news in the last few days?

Status
Not open for further replies.