• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Working from home today, was sick on Friday. Been developing a lot of the symptoms, public health unit says until I get a solid high fever on top of what I have they won't test me since they are focusing on cases from or related to travellers right now. Was told to self-isolate as much as possible for now. It could very well be a cold/developing allergies so...doing what they say, I guess. My symptoms are mostly mild and not a huge impediment. A confirmed answer would be nice though.

Picked up my busted up players from fantasy and played a lot of games on the weekend. This feels like university days all over again.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Working from home today, was sick on Friday. Been developing a lot of the symptoms, public health unit says until I get a solid high fever on top of what I have they won't test me since they are focusing on cases from or related to travellers right now. Was told to self-isolate as much as possible for now. It could very well be a cold/developing allergies so...doing what they say, I guess. My symptoms are mostly mild and not a huge impediment. A confirmed answer would be nice though.

Picked up my busted up players from fantasy and played a lot of games on the weekend. This feels like university days all over again.

Definitely stay home.

I'm trying to work from home as much as I can, but will likely still have to physically come in at least 2 days. Problem since I work at the hospital...

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Our entire company (500ish people across Winnipeg, Regina, Vancouver and a location in the USA) is about to go fully remote EOD today. I'd bet most of us have been working remotely since mid-last week, anyway. Pretty proud of the company for engaging the problem seriously. Lots of talk of taking Friday afternoon off to play some games online or something, which is nice too.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
We are desperately spinning up new remote solutions and, critically, increasing bandwidth at basically all of our facilities across the province. Big undertaking, but honestly the more I see of it the more I understand that at least the provincial government has been doing something with the extra couple of weeks of 'normalcy'. At every step the process of enabling a few thousand extra people to work remotely requires extra bandwidth, or core infrastructure, or software licenses, etc. Just yesterday on a *Sunday* Citrix was booting people out of Extended Office due to capacity.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely stay home.

I'm trying to work from home as much as I can, but will likely still have to physically come in at least 2 days. Problem since I work at the hospital...

At least you are working in an essential industry in this time. I wouldn't begrudge you for needing to be out if you are healthy. My line of work, things can realistically be put off and/or WFH for the most part. Bosses have not mandated anything yet however.

I know way too many people who are not taking this seriously though, and it's disappointing.

Last edited:

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
We are desperately spinning up new remote solutions and, critically, increasing bandwidth at basically all of our facilities across the province. Big undertaking, but honestly the more I see of it the more I understand that at least the provincial government has been doing something with the extra couple of weeks of 'normalcy'. At every step the process of enabling a few thousand extra people to work remotely requires extra bandwidth, or core infrastructure, or software licenses, etc. Just yesterday on a *Sunday* Citrix was booting people out of Extended Office due to capacity.
Yeah, we're a tech company and even we've hit some limits. Hell, Microsoft Teams got hit this this morning as Europe was coming online:

arstechnica.com

Microsoft Teams went down for two hours as Europe logged in

MS Teams seems unprepared for the unprecedented high number of remote workers.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, we're a tech company and even we've hit some limits. Hell, Microsoft Teams got hit this this morning as Europe was coming online:

arstechnica.com

Microsoft Teams went down for two hours as Europe logged in

MS Teams seems unprepared for the unprecedented high number of remote workers.

Yup, and naturally Teams is one of the primary solutions we're using to try to let patient care happen remotely and securely. Gulp! We're already looking at dialling down some changes, like lowering the presence check or resolution for video calls.

We're also deep into Skype and Jabber and Zoom and whatever else might work. The great thing is all sorts of things we always wanted to try but couldn't because of budget concerns or strict privacy laws (like, well-meaning but old legislation that assumes faxing is secure but 'electronic mail' is not) and suddenly it's like just go and we'll sort it all out when people aren't getting sick.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Actually surprised that my works VPN service was stable all day today. Either they upgraded their services lately or no one actually did any work and signed on today lol.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Actually surprised that my works VPN service was stable all day today. Either they upgraded their services lately or no one actually did any work and signed on today lol.

Same. We did a stress test on ours last week for an hour and it was a bit rocky. I'm guessing they did some work on it since then.

But yeah, I'm working from home until April 6th.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017

yea had to go into work today because apparently my company has a 250 personnel limit for VPN

:S

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
Old man yells at cloud because tbh Discord is really valuable to a lot of people because of the ease of information especially on Coronavirus right now...
Right, because discord is the only way to communicate to others and distribute information right now. If you use discord as your go to for information on Coronavirus, you probably also bought 15 cases of toilet paper.

MultiJhonny

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Right, because discord is the only way to communicate to others and distribute information right now. If you use discord as your go to for information on Coronavirus, you probably also bought 15 cases of toilet paper.

No but for a lot of people without access to reliable news it makes it easier to share that information. It also makes it easier to contact family outside of dumb country restrictions for phone service and what not too, so before you cast this judgement it is actually a super valuable tool that a bunch of people use. Honestly if this place goes away, much much less value will be lost.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Old man yells at cloud because tbh Discord is really valuable to a lot of people because of the ease of information especially on Coronavirus right now...

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

MultiJhonny

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
DROP THE GODDAMN GLOVES YOU LOSERS

I'm bored

Didn't you just write a few posts ago that you were changing jobs anyway?

Well.... I don't know at this point. The offer was close but I doubt it happens now since it is a winery, so they may be shut down similarly. Even if not they may not be able to afford to pay me too... So who knows. I applied for unemployment, and hope I can fgure this out

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck MultiJhonny, you'll pull through this.

And same to RC. and anyone else who's looking for work and now is facing a sudden worldwide recession on top of everything else. I do hope that some good comes of this whole ongoing disaster though, including the realization in a LOT of countries that the social safety net is weak and frayed and needs to be drastically enhanced. Also, fuck billionaires and the giant corporations that exist to squeeze every penny out of their workers and make the world demonstrably worse every single day.

That felt dangerously sincere. Also fuck: the Wild, Hawks, Stars, Preds and Avs.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same. Although I connect through AppGate, I didn't notice any slowdowns or had trouble accessing anything on the network.

Also, it appears that I have been identified as 'mission critical' staff, for some reason, so while I still get to work from home for now, I am obligated to report to work.

RC.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC

And same to RC. and anyone else who's looking for work and now is facing a sudden worldwide recession on top of everything else. I do hope that some good comes of this whole ongoing disaster though, including the realization in a LOT of countries that the social safety net is weak and frayed and needs to be drastically enhanced. Also, fuck billionaires and the giant corporations that exist to squeeze every penny out of their workers and make the world demonstrably worse every single day.

That felt dangerously sincere. Also fuck: the Wild, Hawks, Stars, Preds and Avs.

Thanks Calder! My unemployment isn't because of COVID, but I appreciate the kind words nevertheless.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
NHL discord may be trash but its a good messaging app.

Thank you Jacobs family, very cool!

Jeremy Jacobs seems ok with being a complete asshole every single day.

MultiJhonny

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

RC. MultiJhonny here's hoping y'all are well

Thanks guys. It's tough right now but some people have it a lot worse.

NHL discord may be trash but its a good messaging app.
???? lol literally the same community. Wait... i guess we are trash :(

MultiJhonny

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Just put us in the bin already and close the lid.
571.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.