• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
There's a difference. Officiating is shit but the Leafs only cared when it happened to them.

You need to break this down like I'm 5. Because I don't get why it could possibly be a problem if the Leafs staff only care when bad officiating happens to them.

Or are you taking about Leafs fans?

For example, when Las Vegas got a bogus major penalty called against them, I saw Marchessault (a Las Vegas player) complaining about it. I didn't see staff from other NHL teams publically complaining about it...

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1 week seems a tad harsh given the usual bs that mods let side but fair enough.

Glad the sharks won but not like that.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I've only seen one angle but it almost looked like to me that it bounced off the Sharks guy's glove instead of him directing it to Karlsson?

Anyone have a good replay?

Edit.. ok watched on NHL.com

He definitely swats at it... But seems to glance off the side of his glove, bounces and lands on Karlsson's stick. Not that the refs are saying this is what happened (officially they just didn't see it I guess), but I think it could be borderline if it were reviewable. The intent was there but I honestly think it sort of luckily hit the side of his glove and went to the right place. It's not super blatant like he picked up they puck and tossed it. Check the 1:00 mark on NHL.com replay.

Even if it was off the side of his glove it's still a hand pass. He directs the puck with his hand towards a team mate. Team mate gets possession off what he did.

The puck hits his hand. He bats it over to Karlsson. Karlsson gains possession. Therefore it's a pass from a hand. Hand pass. Lol

Oct 27, 2017
lmfao if we can't win a Cup getting all these gifts then truly please do move the franchise to Quebec or some shit

Gotta be honest, after years and years of seeing bad bounces and shitty luck just permeate every part of the Sharks playoff lives I will take these terrible calls and I will caress them until the end of time. I will crawl into my dumpster with them and cackle until we get knocked out.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Even if it was off the side of his glove it's still a hand pass. He directs the puck with his hand towards a team mate. Team mate gets possession off what he did.

The puck hits his hand. He bats it over to Karlsson. Karlsson gains possession. Therefore it's a pass from a hand. Hand pass. Lol
Qwm86Lm.gif

its 100% a pass directed by the hand. Its beyond ridiculous that a single team could have so many late calls go their way in a single playoff year.

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
You need to break this down like I'm 5. Because I don't get why it could possibly be a problem if the Leafs staff only care when bad officiating happens to them.

Or are you taking about Leafs fans?

For example, when Las Vegas got a bogus major penalty called against them, I saw Marchessault (a Las Vegas player) complaining about it. I didn't see staff from other NHL teams publically complaining about it...
I'm talking about fans. For the most part officiating is and has been bullshit and the fanbase didn't blink an eye. Then game 2 happened and suddenly Leafs fans were like "not only is officiating bullshit but the league clearly hates us personally and gives us the least amount of powerplays and why is no one else talking about this." Like yeah, we've all been there. It's just no one has any sympathy for the Leafs specifically and certainly not when they're using half-stories as evidence.

Oct 25, 2017
lmfao if we can't win a Cup getting all these gifts then truly please do move the franchise to Quebec or some shit

Gotta be honest, after years and years of seeing bad bounces and shitty luck just permeate every part of the Sharks playoff lives I will take these terrible calls and I will caress them until the end of time. I will crawl into my dumpster with them and cackle until we get knocked out.
It owns so hard. As a Sharks fan this is a very new experience and I would recommend it to the other 30 teams. Hope you can match these Silicon Valley checks my guy.
NiftySkinnyCat-max-1mb.gif

?

Sharks were losing that series either way ;)

Oct 25, 2017
So the new narrative is that the Sharks always fell short in the playoffs because.... of bounces and bad luck? And that this goofy officiating is now some sort of karmic justice, righting supposed historical wrongs?

tenor.gif

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
Props to the Sharks fans for owning the role. Die a hero or fail long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I got a stern talking to from a mod back at the old place for calling someone an idiot in a playoff thread

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Damn straight. I won't deny it was a bad call, but I won't also deny after getting burned so many times that it's nice to be on the other end.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of supposed wrongs being righted, how about we admit that the Sharks didn't show up when it mattered in the past, while also acknowledging that bad calls happen, and it's an absolute bad look on a league trying to legitimize itself in the eyes of the masses it's trying so desperately to be accepted by.

The Sharks fall into the same trap, even if they won the game in the end, that it took a bad call to get them a win. Clearly a segment of its fan base are dumb enough to spin a lack of integrity into "we were due" bullshit lol. I speak as a Leafs fan, where a large segment of the fan base are even bigger idiots, but at least I'm not a Oilers fan.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk, subscribe to my premium Snaps.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Vegas complaining about officiating after making the finals in their first season. Welcome to the league ya fucks.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be so sick next season when the whiners get their way and every game has 30 minutes of reviews and they still get stuff wrong all the time.

Oct 27, 2017
Instead of supposed wrongs being righted, how about we admit that the Sharks didn't show up when it mattered in the past, while also acknowledging that bad calls happen, and it's an absolute bad look on a league trying to legitimize itself in the eyes of the masses it's trying so desperately to be accepted by.

The Sharks fall into the same trap, even if they won the game in the end, that it took a bad call to get them a win. Clearly a segment of its fan base are dumb enough to spin a lack of integrity into "we were due" bullshit lol. I speak as a Leafs fan, where a large segment of the fan base are even bigger idiots, but at least I'm not a Oilers fan.

"a lack of integrity" lmfao you're all so serious now holy shit

Oct 25, 2017
Quick laying down the law these days

gallery-1433974005-blanche-golden-grils-gif.gif

It's gonna be so sick next season when the whiners get their way and every game has 30 minutes of reviews and they still get stuff wrong all the time.
Getting these sorts of calls right is not a tall order and does not necessarily require video review.

"a lack of integrity" lmfao you're all so serious now holy shit
I think you're confused. He's talking about the league and them fucking up calls. Integrity = internal consistency.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

I'll admit the Sharks have dropped the ball in the past. Hell, I didn't think they deserved to win tonight at all even before the OT. It was a straight up bad call and it would be nice if they fixed how things are reviewed and I would have had no issue if the rules changed and overturned that goal in the future.

That doesn't mean I won't relish the fact that it did go our way when in the past we've been burned by other calls. Hell we got burned by a call in Game 2 of the first round. We all know that sometimes these calls or bounces can make all the difference in the series and I'm not going to deny that it's nice to have the luck fall in our lap for a change. I won't say we were due, but I will say it's nice to be on the other end.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean let's not kid ourselves, that goal should have been reviewable.

HOWEVER. I will enjoy this ride as long as it lasts, this has been a wonderful playoffs. Watching the Sharks succeed by playing well and getting these hilarious calls has been a true treat.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
The officiating this year has been worthless

I hope it's not hyperbolic to wish that most of them are not back next season

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Why was that goal not reviewable? I legit don't get NHLs replay rules
They haven't established parameters around it like they have offside call reviews. E.g., how long ago would the missed glove pass had to have been for it to matter? What about other missed calls? Maybe they just open it up to any infraction before the goal? What about a missed slashing call when the refs had been letting everything go until that point?

I'm not saying these are insurmountable problems, but if implemented, it's probably going to result in some slightly ugly side effects and more long reviews. Still, probably for the best in the long run.

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't established parameters around it like they have offside call reviews. E.g., how long ago would the missed glove pass had to have been for it to matter? What about other missed calls? Maybe they just open it up to any infraction before the goal? What about a missed slashing call when the refs had been letting everything go until that point?

I'm not saying these are insurmountable problems, but if implemented, it's probably going to result in some slightly ugly side effects and more long reviews. Still, probably for the best in the long run.

But what if I already hate the offsides review and find it ruins the game at times?

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
The call was bullshit but the fact that it's not reviewable is even more bullshit. It puts a lot of pressure on the refs to get it right the first time.

Atleast it was my boy EK that was the benefactor of that blown call.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not many other organizations can say something to the effect of "we have the best people on the job" where those same people are essentially saying "hmm we didn't do our job 🤷🤷🤷🤷"

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone just assumes that video review would result in the "right" call being made and thus controversy being avoided.

Remember when the Sharks challenged that Avs goal as offside in a Game 7, and the right call was made, but people were still mad because they didn't think was conclusive enough?

Remember when the Golden Knights scored a goal in a Game 7 off an obvious high stick, and the goal stood on video review?

There is at least one look from last night that makes it look as though the puck actually deflected off a Blues player before it got to Karlsson (potentially negating the handpass): https://twitter.com/pepepavelski/status/1128863355874234368

I don't know if I agree that the video shows that (and I truly don't care), but it is at least possible that this goal would have stood up on video review anyway.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Everyone just assumes that video review would result in the "right" call being made and thus controversy being avoided.

Remember when the Sharks challenged that Avs goal as offside in a Game 7, and the right call was made, but people were still mad because they didn't think was conclusive enough?

Remember when the Golden Knights scored a goal in a Game 7 off an obvious high stick, and the goal stood on video review?

There is at least one look from last night that makes it look as though the puck actually deflected off a Blues player before it got to Karlsson (potentially negating the handpass): https://twitter.com/pepepavelski/status/1128863355874234368

I don't know if I agree that the video shows that (and I truly don't care), but it is at least possible that this goal would have stood up on video review anyway.
It wouldn't negate the pass, because possession was never established by the blues player, even if it did grace his leg, which it didn't.