• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
"Now we are working on the PvP mode, which will soon appear. In addition, we're still working on improving the feature that has just made its debut – it's all about friends, such as the ability to exchange Pokemon in the game.

We've just introduced an improvement so you can add a note to your friend. The point is that you can have many people on your friends list and do not remember who is who. So you can add a comment to that person. You can also segregate your friends list.

We are constantly improving the elements that we have available in the game and the next thing that we want to add at the end of this year is the PvP mode."

Original Source (Polish):

https://www.gram.pl/artykul/2018/08...r-wywiad-z-anne-beuttenmuller-z-niantic.shtml

English Source:

https://pokemongohub.net/post/news/niantic-confirms-we-want-to-launch-pvp-at-the-end-of-2018/

There you go, a 2-year late feature that's now confirmed coming at the end of 2018.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
That's good, but man I wish they streamline the gifting UI. Getting and sending gifts to a lot of friends is a pain in the ass right now.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if they will be changing up combat for it, they've been working on it for a long time.

Also please add roaming npc trainers

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
What's 2 years late about it? PvP is completely not a necessary part of Pokemon go lol. Why can't people just be happy.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Would be good if they hadn't said that before.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Also, they would need to redo the battle system. The current one would not work for PVP

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
2 years after the launch, it's pretty safe to say they're support of the game has been pretty good. Sure, some stuff has taken a while to come and PvP is still to come but the game is in a great place now when you consider how it started out. I can easily wait a bit longer for PvP.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
As long as people understand the difference between "we want to launch" and "we will launch", I'm glad they're finally speaking about PVP.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they would change the battle system for the one we're used to in Pokemon games.

But I feel like it's too late at this point.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Would be good if they hadn't said that before.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Also, they would need to redo the battle system. The current one would not work for PVP

Yep, and that's mainly the reason why it is taking too long. It has to be redesigned from the ground up.
Why would they need to change it? As someone who dislikes the current Pokémon Go battle mechanics, it still seems like it would work in real-time against someone.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I wish they would change the battle system for the one we're used to in Pokemon games.

Yeah, now that players have actually invested in making "builds" for the current battle system, it'd be pulling the rug out of anyone who's really big into the game. It really needs an overhaul, but how do you do that at this point without alienating everyone already invested in the current system?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Why would they need to change it? As someone who dislikes the current Pokémon Go battle mechanics, it still seems like it would work in real-time against someone.
Server desync, different spec of phones running a game in a different speed.

I was doing a gym battle with my girlfriend. We had defeated the Pokémon. It took 2 seconds before it recognised we had beaten it on her game after it had been beaten on mine.

I doubt they'd do that. It'd risk cannibalising the sales of the main Pokémon games so TPC wouldn't likely allow it.

Plus that sort of battle system isn't designed for the quick nature of mobile gaming

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is too late. I know a lot of people still play, but it wont get my friends and I to return. I literally know no one that plays anymore. Which is sad, played it so much when it came out.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, now that players have actually invested in making "builds" for the current battle system, it'd be pulling the rug out of anyone who's really big into the game. It really needs an overhaul, but how do you do that at this point without alienating everyone already invested in the current system?

I assume that I would come as a shock to many, but in the end something closer to the "real" Pokemon battles would be an improvement in every way and I doubt it would push people away.
I might be too disconnected from the game's fanbase as I haven't played in a long time, but the battle system isn't considered "good" by people, is it? Everyone I used to play with thought that battling sucked, so I can't imagine it being the reason people play.

Oct 26, 2017
I've spent a ton of time getting the optimal moves on my Pokemon. If they change the entire system, I wouldn't bother.

It's not just adding more moves. It's as if Blizzard would change WoW to turn based. It would break everything.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My hot take: had Pokémon Go had PvP in 2016 summer, it'd be as big as fortnite right now.

God talk about not striking while the iron was hot.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
My hot take: had Pokémon Go had PvP in 2016 summer, it'd be as big as fortnite right now.

Pokémon GO was bigger than Fortnite has been...

Fortnite hasn't reached Pokémon GO levels of activity or insanity.

Even now, Pokémon GO has ~170 million active users compared to Fortnite's 125 million total

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I assume that I would come as a shock to many, but in the end something closer to the "real" Pokemon battles would be an improvement in every way and I doubt it would push people away.
I might be too disconnected from the game's fanbase as I haven't played in a long time, but the battle system isn't considered "good" by people, is it? Everyone I used to play with thought that battling sucked, so I can't imagine it being the reason people play.
It's less about being good and more about what people are already invested in. Unless they find a way to make sure the optimal moves that people have been grinding for in raids the last year stay optimal, they're at risk of alienating a ton of people who've spent hours and dollars making parties for specific raid encounters.

It might not be a huge deal, but with the game making a resurgence the last thing they probably want to do is scare off anyone returning.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
PVP is a nessasaey part of every good Pokémon experience. Let's get that right.

I am cautiously but super excited for this.
This isn't exactly a mainline Pokemon game lol. Pokemon snap (among many other Pokemon games) we're fine without PvP

Also idk why your replying to me I didn't actually say it wasnt (but it isn't).

Mostly concept, but it's still marketing a pitch of the concept of PvP to the audiences.
Sure I'm just saying it wasn't announced as a laugh feature so idk why people would rag on it as 'late'.

These days with gaas, you have to take a grain of salt to any coceptual trailers, sure it may be stuff their working in but if it's not core to the experience, then it's not launching with it since the games are continually updated anyway.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland

My Hot take:

Pokemon Go has more active monthly users than Fortnite has total Users(which include dead accounts).

Seems like they struck the Steel types better than fortnite ever could.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Pokemon Go threads, it's really only a matter of time before someone voices the opinion that the game is some sort of "missed opportunity" or bygone fad, when it is in fact the most successful Pokemon game to date.

2 years after launch and long after Sun/Moon have been forgotten, Pokemon Go is still the #5 grossing game on iOS.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Pokémon GO was bigger than Fortnite has been...

Fortnite hasn't reached Pokémon GO levels of activity or insanity.

Even now, Pokémon GO has ~170 million active users compared to Fortnite's 125 million total

Wait till Fortnite hits android

I'm pretty sure PUBG is well past that due to China now too

In Pokemon Go threads, it's really only a matter of time before someone voices the opinion that the game is some sort of "missed opportunity" or bygone fad, when it is in fact the most successful Pokemon game to date.

2 years after launch and long after Sun/Moon have been forgotten, Pokemon Go is still the #5 grossing game on iOS.

I believe if PVP and trading been there on day 1, it would be #1. It's still big but there was missed potential without a doubt