• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, regarding 90s arcade Racer, they never said 1990s, so it's likely due to release sometime in 70ish years.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Go buy the Japanese boxed version off Amazon, it's already as cheap as the Nicalis version.

What reasoning would there be to not release a game digitally that has a physical release on the same platform? I don't get it.

A physical release, especially one for a niche game, is not a low-risk endeavor, so going physical-only is one way, albeit not a great one, to ensure that version sells all it can sell.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
On the subject of Nicalis

The PC version of Remilore was suppose to launch like, 3 months ago now, they haven't even changed the date. According to people on the forum, the devs have said the game is ready and they're waiting to get a response from Nicalis about the PC launch. Like, what the fuck?

mikeeb13

Dec 6, 2017
I hate to be that guy, but no digital would prob be a pass for me unfortunately. I loathe carrying carts around anymore, esp for a console I usually play on the go 90% of the time.

My how the times have changed lol ;;

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure it's not even allowed by Nintendo's guidelines to not launch a digital version of a Switch game alongside its eventual physical release.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I hate to be that guy, but no digital would prob be a pass for me unfortunately. I loathe carrying carts around anymore, esp for a console I usually play on the go 90% of the time.

My how the times have changed lol ;;

Same honestly but I don't even have the option with no physical release in Europe. Importing from the states is obscenely expensive shipping wise. (Which is weird because importing from Japan is so easy and it's cheap to ship too)

Pretty sure it's not even allowed by Nintendo's guidelines to not launch a digital version of a Switch game alongside its eventual physical release.

I was under the impression this was the same for all the big three. I really don't want to go back to the PS3/360 era when so many games missed digital and thus are really expensive now. *cough* Folklore *cough*

mikeeb13

Dec 6, 2017
hoping this is just an 'eShop hasn't updated yet' issue... that or for some reason it's posting on another day?

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
If I said what I want to say about Nicalis I'd probably catch a perm, so I'll just say that I haven't been surprised by anything Nicalis has done since they broke walking in a 2D platformer with a patch.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Nicalis is disdainful of their audience and avoids addressing or talking to them wherever possible.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Nicalis are WEIRD. They actually had a surprisingly large presence at AnimeExpo this year, and they even sold the physical copy early (like, July 4th early) and Studio Saizensen's founder/Umihara's character artist was there too. The booth had a bunch of demos for their releases, and the store was even selling the JP physical copies for stuff like Cave Story+ in ADDITION to the NA releases. Odd stuff.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
wow. any explanation for the delay?
pretty hefty at $50 cad. might wait for a nicalis sale

Update: Now released in NA and EU eShops
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So uh how's this game? If it's good I might pick up now that it's finally out digitally

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
UK link

US link

Confirmed to have been released on NA and EU eShops.

We'll probably never know why the game was silently delayed from July 9th to July 18th.

Even the Nicalis twitter has posted nothing about the digital version releasing.

I mean, we have a dude running the company who specifically said in the past that he doesn't believe in pubs/devs communicating openly with fans and boiled down to this deep reasoning... lol: essentially that he can do what he wants to, and if you don't like it just don't buy Nicalis games.
That is apparently also the reason he doesn't want to work with Kickstarted projects, and looking at how '90s Arcade Racer was handled this "theory" doesn't seem that far fetched to me.
Tyrone is an abrasive person to say the least, he's heavily badmouthed by the people he worked with and yet he keeps signing "big" names like Edmund McMillan. It's a mistery.

Does he still have La~Mulana 2 western release? That would make me weep because I adore the series but no way I'm supporting him with my money.

Anyway, if you want I can tell you the inside "rumor" that is going around some indy devs circles:

Apparently preorder numbers for Fresh! were way below expectations, so Tyrone thought the genius move would be to give the impression a digital version wouldn't be coming anymore (like other niche physical-only releases) and purposely avoided addressing people's questions (he could've EASILY said the game was delayed on eShop but still coming on day whatever) so to boost sales numbers thanks to collectors/flippers assuming the release would go OOS and the price of the game would skyrocket. Also, again take it with a grain of salt, he couldn't just delay it indefinitely because of how his deal with Success was structured.

Could be true (it does make sense in a twisted way and I wouldn't put it past Tyrone) or could be bullshit, you be the judge.

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

There's a demo of the game (at least on the JPN eShop there is, and it's fully translated in English) and it's fairly generous since you can do a lot on that first "level" (Fresh is kinda "open world" compared to the series' norm). I believe it gives a good idea of how the game plays and if one would be interested and such.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Does he still have La~Mulana 2 western release? That would make me weep because I adore the series but no way I'm supporting him with my money.
Oh please let this not be true. I followed the LM2 development and I don't recall them saying Nicalis was involved with 2's console release in the US, but they've said very little thus far about that so it could be true. Konami handled the console release in Japan IIRC.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
There's absolutely 0 chance that they have La Mulana 2 after how badly they screwed the pooch with the first one. Don't be ridiculous.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Apparently preorder numbers for Fresh! were way below expectations, so Tyrone thought the genius move would be to give the impression a digital version wouldn't be coming anymore (like other niche physical-only releases) and purposely avoided addressing people's questions (he could've EASILY said the game was delayed on eShop but still coming on day whatever) so to boost sales numbers thanks to collectors/flippers assuming the release would go OOS and the price of the game would skyrocket. Also, again take it with a grain of salt, he couldn't just delay it indefinitely because of how his deal with Success was structured.
The thought had crossed my mind but I was like they can't possibly be that underhanded and stupid, but uh...

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Oh please let this not be true. I followed the LM2 development and I don't recall them saying Nicalis was involved with 2's console release in the US, but they've said very little thus far about that so it could be true. Konami handled the console release in Japan IIRC.

Mine was a question, not an assessment :)
But it's weird we still know nothing while the game has already come out on the eShop JPN. I wish we'd get EX ported around in the meantime... I'd kill for a same-cartridge double pack on Switch but yeah ain't gonna happen

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

Could be true (it does make sense in a twisted way and I wouldn't put it past Tyrone) or could be bullshit, you be the judge.

Doesn't surprise me, I went to preorder the one from his site with the SFC box, and shipping to the UK for it would have been like $30, which is obscene for something so small and light so I didn't bother

I'll pick it up second hand at some point I guess

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
Stories about Nicalis are always so bizarre. Seems like they could be an incredible publisher and advocate for indie developers... if they could get their shit together.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018

That's too bizarre. He kept silent for 2 weeks on a digital release to boost the numbers of a practically unknown game for 2 weeks?

I'm still trying to figure out how to play this game. The mechanics are way too confusing.

What happened after release
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
So Umihara Kawase Fresh! finally released on the eShop in NA and Europe on July 18th however, the Nicalis twitter has been quiet about this whole thing.

No news on why the digital version didn't release at the same time as the physical version. No news about when it would release. A silent delay happens. The game finally releases on the eShop. Now they're not even promoting the game after it released on the eShop. The Nicalis twitter account has been inactive for six days.

They're giving the message that they want people to forget what happened and move on. Not happening, this just adds to the list of things that's wrong with Nicalis and why no one should be doing business with them.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
So Umihara Kawase Fresh! finally released on the eShop in NA and Europe on July 18th however, the Nicalis twitter has been quiet about this whole thing.

No news on why the digital version didn't release at the same time as the physical version. No news about when it would release. A silent delay happens. The game finally releases on the eShop. Now they're not even promoting the game after it released on the eShop. The Nicalis twitter account has been inactive for six days.

They're giving the message that they want people to forget what happened and move on. Not happening, this just adds to the list of things that's wrong with Nicalis and why no one should be doing business with them.

Dude, they were never going to address this in any way. They never satisfactorily or publicly address anything, mostly because Tyrone Rodriguez resents having to explain himself to his customers and he can't respond to feedback without being a passive-aggressive asshole.