• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
A timeline of events:

During Tokyo Game Show 2018 (in September 2018), Umihara Kawase Fresh! was announced and was being published by Success.

Success confirmed at that time that it would be launched digitally worldwide including English and Chinese localisation but physical release outside Japan was unconfirmed.

In January 2019, Success confirmed that Umihara Kawase Fresh! would launch on April 25th in Japan. It is available physically in Japan and digitally from the Japan eShop, it has Japanese, English and Chinese language options. A Success representative told Gematsu the western release would be handled by a different company.

In March 2019, the western release of Umihara Kawase Fresh! is July 9th and is being handled by Nicalis. Here is what was reported:
Screenshot_20190711-1251422.png

And here's a tweet from Success:

Fast forward to July 10th where Nicalis has tweeted this:

People in the replies are asking where the game is on the eShop. I've even asked around for people on US and European eShops to check, it's not released on the eShop outside Japan and there's no information I can find from Nicalis on whether it is releasing digitally outside Japan.

Last edited:

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
they didn't seem to send out review copies either so I don't know what's going on with this game. I legitimately forgot it even came out because of this

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Do people like Nicalis? I don't think i've seen a single positive thing about 'em.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
That should be the Thread Title for whenever Nicalis does shady, stupid shit. Nicalis, at it again!

Sniping indie IP's to own completely, reducing original developer credit and putting them in their cross media products!

Negotiating publishing rights for smaller and independent games people want and not publishing them digitally!

What's next, threat of lawsuit for anyone who previously associated with the company badmouthing it after parting? Wouldn't surprise me, considering how they "negotiated" their acquisition of Cave Story's IP from a Japanese developer with little experience with the English language.

Don't waste your money on their games, the company's scum from the top down.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Weekly reminder that Nicalis are the EA of indie publishers.

How Tyrone swindles all these small Japanese devs into working with him is beyond me. Umihara Kawase deserves far better.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

How Tyrone swindles all these small Japanese devs into working with him is beyond me. Umihara Kawase deserves far better.
I imagine it's in large part due to language barriers. JP side is likely very unaware of all the things that happen on the other side of the pond and so there are very few to even warn or tell others about Nicalis's behavior as a publisher in the west.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
Speaking on the topic of Japanese indie titles he finds interesting, Rodriguez says he personally wishes popular doujin series such as Touhou "would just go away." Pointing out great indie titles from Japan (aside from Pixel's) was a little difficult for Rodriguez, so I asked for his thoughts on modern, mainstream Japanese games.

(i'm pretty sure this was when they were still "publishing" la-mulana)

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think many former EA devs talk about EA the way devs talk about Nicalis. Nicalis looks like a thousand times worse.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
I imagine it's in large part due to language barriers. JP side is likely very unaware of all the things that happen on the other side of the pond and so there are very few to even warn or tell others about Nicalis's behavior as a publisher in the west.

People should chat up the La Mulana devs, lol

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think many former EA devs talk about EA the way devs talk about Nicalis. Nicalis looks like a thousand times worse.

i don't how/if consumers built up a negative perception around them - never really paid that much attention from that side and their games seem to review well and sell well.

the behind-the-scenes stuff is weirdly consistent though. and it's not just people who partner with them.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
I was hoping this would be Kawase's chance to really be an indie hit but if it doesn't even have a digital release there is no chance of that. The fact they didn't market it at all also doesn't help.

The La-Mulana debacle cemented it for me that Nicalis was terrible, but even before that we can't forget how they bungled Cave Story on Wii. They eventually made good with the PC version but the fact they handled such an amazing game so poorly really soured their image for me.

I know the JP physical release was ~60 bucks but what about the eshop version?

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
i don't how/if consumers built up a negative perception around them - never really paid that much attention from that side and their games seem to review well and sell well.

the behind-the-scenes stuff is weirdly consistent though. and it's not just people who partner with them.
There's that too. EA stuff is usually from both sides, while Nicalis usually gets bad mouthed by people after working with them, but consumers seem happy with them (and constantly praise them for their release with extras like keychains, booklets,etc.) and games review well too, while meeting sales expectations.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Wouldn't surprise me, considering how they "negotiated" their acquisition of Cave Story's IP from a Japanese developer with little experience with the English language.
What is Pixel's involvement with Nicalis? After the Wiiware port I recall he quit his day job to direct Cave Story 3D (which I know Nicalis was not involved in), helped somewhat with NightSky, and then there was Tyrone tweeting that Kero Blaster 3DS screenshot. But has he spoken much about his relationship with them?

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Could this not be a typo/mistranslation from gematsu and it was only going to be physical?

I'm digging around for other sites when they reported the western release, everyone reported it was releasing in the US and Europe digitally and physical for US:

Edit:
Considering all these articles are quoting Nicalis PR. You'd think Nicalis would've corrected them if it wasn't going to release digitally outside Japan.

Last edited:

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I'm digging around for other sites when they reported the western release, everyone reported it was releasing in the US and Europe digitally and physical for US:

Edit:
Considering all these articles are quoting Nicalis PR. You'd think Nicalis would've corrected them if it wasn't going to release digitally outside Japan.
Wow, you'd think it'd be the other way around.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
What reasoning would there be to not release a game digitally that has a physical release on the same platform? I don't get it.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
That's a strange move that makes no sense, you would think the publisher would want to do digital and not just physical if you want maximum profit.

Oct 26, 2017
Contemplated getting the game back in April since English language support is listed on the JPN eShop, but held off because I wanted to support the western publisher. So much for that.

What reasoning would there be to not release a game digitally that has a physical release on the same platform? I don't get it.

Puyo Puyo Tetris didn't get released on PS4 digitally until earlier this year, but that involved legal fuckery with Tetris Ultimate.

Other than a weird case like that...I dunno.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I've been asking about a digital release for this in the eShop thread all week. I tweeted at Nicalis yesterday, but got no reply.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Edit:

This is from the PR that day:

Nicalis said:
Umihara Kawase Fresh! for Nintendo Switch will be available digitally and physically (NA only) on July 9 for $39.99 MSRP.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
What's weird is that it WAS listing on the "coming soon" section of the eShop for a while. I browse it every now and then and it WAS there...

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I thought all games were available on the eshop? There are physical only games?!?!?
This isn't the first time. Darius Cozmic Collection is physical only (there are two different versions of the game in fact -- one with more games) and there won't ever be a digital version. Penguin Wars had a digital release in other regions, but the digital release in the US came out about a year after the physical release. But that game had a very small publisher and they might have run into issues.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.

That's what PR said for NA, and that's how all Nicalis releases go. Digital-only in Europe unless a publisher steps in (which only happened once and never again). My guess is people just assumed it would be the same (I certainly did) because good luck getting any EU info from Nicalis.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Physical version looks very cool.

Wonder what happened with the digital version? Nicalis are awful, but I assume they don't hate money

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of off topic, but does anyone know if the version being sold on Amazon includes the cool box?
Weird that there's no sign of a digital version, though.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
This is from the PR that day:

That's what PR said for NA, and that's how all Nicalis releases go. Digital-only in Europe unless a publisher steps in (which only happened once and never again). My guess is people just assumed it would be the same (I certainly did) because good luck getting any EU info from Nicalis.

And that's why I hoped Nicalis wouldn't be publishing the game in the west back then before it was announced.

Nicalis is the Harmony Gold of video games.