• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Nick Offerman at the engine room

giphy.webp

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
My dad used to tell me games were a waste, then proceed to smoke weed with his friends, gamble and put us in debt.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My dad used to tell me games were a waste, then proceed to smoke weed with his friends, gamble and put us in debt.

My dad would tell me games were a waste while he collected model cars and made fire truck pixel art in MS Paint.

....I mean, I'm not trying to compare situations (sorry your dad was like that), but ya gotta love that irony where people can't see the appeal of other's hobbies and bizarrely have to put it down and make you feel crappy. :/

On the flip side: My nephew called and talked to me about Kirby for almost an HOUR. Literally I am the only one in the family who can do this videogame thing for him, and I felt special. xD

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
My dad would tell me games were a waste while he collected model cars and made fire truck pixel art in MS Paint.

....I mean, I'm not trying to compare situations (sorry your dad was like that), but ya gotta love that irony where people can't see the appeal of other's hobbies and bizarrely have to put it down and make you feel crappy. :/

On the flip side: My nephew called and talked to me about Kirby for almost an HOUR. Literally I am the only one in the family who can do this videogame thing for him, and I felt special. xD

We're probably doing the same in a way. Maybe less, because we do at least understand mobile games and dumb youtube stuff.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine Nick Offerman as a young person, let alone playing Banjo Kazooie in his twenties.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I jsut loaded up Resetera cuz I wanted to let you all know that Nick Offerman played Banjo Kazooie, but I'm glad there's already a thread about it :D

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
They should make him play Nuts and Bolts and ask him what he thinks. Knowing that he makes a lot of things (trained carpenter) I wonder if he would love it or hate it.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
In an interview with Jimmy Kimmel, Nick Offerman (who played Bill in the recent episode of The Last of Us) revealed that he quit gaming after playing Banjo-Kazooie (excellent game to quit after!!) out of fear that the hobby would affect his career. Here's the clip from Twitter and a transcript via IGN

View: https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/status/1621068747409883137?s=46&t=8oYkLkRe14Z2zD6KFjJUjg

"25 years ago I played my last video game, and I'm very indulgent," he said. "I lost a couple of weeks to a video game called Banjo-Kazooie. Two weeks went by and I was like, 'oh my god the slow dopamine drip is so delicious'. Then it's over and you're like 'yes I won'. And immediately I'm like 'what have I done with my life'."

"So I decided that I'm never going to do that again, and thankfully because games have gotten so good, like The Last of Us, that I think I'd be in a basement and I wouldn't even be going to audition for shows like this."

I think this also brings up an interesting subject for discussion, that being does he have a point there? Has your own personal love for the hobby had any type of effect on your life? Speaking personally, I can say without a doubt it has for me. As someone pursuing the very type of career he's successful at, it has actually affected my auditioning process and the furthering of my career because I get so caught up in the games I'm playing and what game to play next, it gets cast aside. So this brief interview does have me thinking where I'd be right now had I followed in his same footsteps and what I need to do to cut back on my gaming addiction/habits so I can get myself out of this hole I've dug.

What are you all's thoughts on this? And curiously, if you were to decide to up and quit gaming today, what would be your last game to end it on?

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking smart man, it only went down hill after Banjo anyway

I wish I stopped playing kingdom hearts after 2

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Banjo would likely also be my last game if I decided to quit, may as well go out on a high note.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I was so addicted to gaming at one point that I legit let other aspects of my life fail, so I understand his position completely.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I was so addicted to gaming at one point that I legit let other aspects of my life fail, so I understand his position completely.
When I world first raided in WoW for about 5-6 years my life was torn apart

Not the games fault but you can fall into that hole so easily if you truly love something

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
For me, There's definitely the feeling after sinking 100 hours into a game that you've wasted a bunch of time and haven't done anything productive. It's probably the main reason I don't touch multiplayer anymore. I would like to finish writing any number of novels and multiplayer gaming kills the minimal free time I have to do so.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad that TLoU show is doing so well , but there is still this snobbish cultural sense of the masses looking down on video games you could hear it in his and Kimmel's tone. This narrative has been around for 10 year, people who don't play games should really be aware of how much they are missing out.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I get where he's coming from, but you can have a life and still play games. They're not mutually exclusive.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
I frequently finish long Destiny sessions and think about how ultimately pointless that god roll weapon or shader unlock or whatever is in the grand scheme of things. But that's okay, I'll still keep playing that garbage.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair

scatterbrain

Apr 29, 2022
Gaming has never taken over or gotten in the way of real life for me, fortunately. The internet however...

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gaming like any other addiction can be destructive, need to self moderate and if you can't you should cut it off entirely.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
nobbish cultural sense of the masses looking down on video games you could hear it in his and Kimmel's tone. This narrative has been around for 10 year, people who don't play ga

I don't sense that from the clip. He's basically saying that games have gotten so good he would be nonproductive if he played. I do think the sentiment you mention is certainly real though and been around a lot longer than 10 years. It will go away with time though as gamers age. Its hard to get anyone over 35 who hasn't or doesn't play video games to get into them.