• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
The trailers so far have consisted of a lot of quick cuts that were hard to follow, but we FINALLY have some full gameplay!

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Love all the new mechanics that differentiate it from Smash and the game really does look fun, but oh man does the lack of voices hurt

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It really can't be overstated how much the lack of voices does a huge number on the game's presentation. I also feel like some animations on the characters lack quite a bit of clarity. It's a problem some older Smash games had issues with as well. It looks pretty fun though.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
aside from the audio, the visual presentation and gameplay looks really freaking good

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While the mechanics look solid, this game really feels incomplete with the lack of voices.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Literally zero voice work from the characters is so weird. It makes it lifeless.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, mechanics alone didn't carry Smash. Presentation is really needed for games like this, and the lack of voice makes the game feel like incomplete.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Missing stuff like this really sucks. Voices add so much personality to these characters. The lack of it hurts it.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Being able to grab projectiles and reflect them with literally any move is actually insanely cool.

Also, every character is DK now lol

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
The mechanics look awesome.

Game it self however is super bland. Not even just the voices really, animations and music as well.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
it looks awesome, but I agree, man, it needs voices. someones gotta start a petition or stronly worded tweet or some shit. Nick should want to put as much as they can into this

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I was going to say that people were overreacting about the voices after watching that first introduction video but then I watched one of the fights. Yeah even just grunts or something...

Did previous nickelodeon crossover games suffer from this? I know there was a kart racer or something.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I think it's funny they specifically call it wave dashing.

Exodus 1831

Oct 25, 2018
I get why people are disappointed by the lack of voice acting, but for me the gameplay & mechanics more than make up for it. I'm excited to get my hands on this game in the fall

RockmanBN

Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I was going to say that people were overreacting about the voices after watching that first introduction video but then I watched one of the fights. Yeah even just grunts or something...

Did previous nickelodeon crossover games suffer from this? I know there was a kart racer or something.
Even with grunts you gotta pay the VAs. Zim's VA said that even old voice clips being used means that they get paid. So, they're not using them at all.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I somewhat surprised the game uses the percentage sign to indicate damage. Smash's use of the percent sign is totally arbitrary and meaningless, and as far as I know most platform fighters avoid using that particular symbol because it makes the game look too much like a copycat.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is unfortunately a case where the developers are clearly talented and know what they're doing but they've been given a shoe-string budget to work with, due to you know, being a Nick licensed game. I believe the racing games from before didn't have voice acting either.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Even with grunts you gotta pay the VAs. Zim's VA said that even old voice clips being used means that they get paid. So, they're not using them at all.
Yeah I assumed it was all sorts of contract issues, whether it's previous recordings or sound alikes or all sorts of things, and I'm sure they evaluated what was best (probably weighted towards monetarily wise) for this project. Which is why I was curious if previous similar games had some of the same omissions.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey strafing is a pretty interesting idea tho, can't tell ya how many times I throw out the wrong aerial in SSB cause I'm moving in the wrong direction.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I somewhat surprised the game uses the percentage sign to indicate damage. Smash's use of the percent sign is totally arbitrary and meaningless, and as far as I know most platform fighters avoid using that particular symbol because it makes the game look too much like a copycat.

This is shamelessly drawing from Smash, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to just differentiate hallmark systems just for the illusion of being different.

RockmanBN

Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Yeah I assumed it was all sorts of contract issues, whether it's previous recordings or sound alikes or all sorts of things, and I'm sure they evaluated what was best (probably weighted towards monetarily wise) for this project. Which is why I was curious if previous similar games had some of the same omissions.
Also some of the characters in this game have VA's that have passed away. Dunno if that complicates things and is likely the reason why some picks are even in now.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
something tells me Patrick is going to be S-tier.

you don't give someone that kind of stance and expect him to be crap.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Honestly, considering how other games of this type have ended up in the past, I think embracing the Smash comparison will ultimately help in the long run.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It really feels oddly sterile without voices. Wonder if that was a design decision or too difficult to get every actor.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i'll wait for pc version and let people mod in sounds.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Having watched the breakdown, I really like all these mechanics they've added compared to Smash that make it feel like its own, more technical thing without getting ultra gimmicky like the supers in PSAS. Grabbing projectiles and projectile tennis in general looks hilarious. I was excited before but now I'm really excited.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Its only meaningless if you don't take the genre seriously. There is nothing arbitrary about knowing precisely what reaction a move will produce when you land them at a specific damage percent.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, you all weren't kidding about the lack of voices making the fights feel kinda awkward? Thought there would be grunts or anything at least, but nope, complete silence from the characters. Not a deal breaker at all, but still really weird, especially after watching those gameplay vids.

RockmanBN

Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Having watched the breakdown, I really like all these mechanics they've added compared to Smash that make it feel like its own, more technical thing without getting ultra gimmicky like the supers in PSAS. Grabbing projectiles and projectile tennis in general looks hilarious. I was excited before but now I'm really excited.
Yeah strafing and a universal grabbing projections/reflecting projectiles seems neat. Everyone us DK and Villager.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Despite no voice overs, I'm still digging this. Just excited about the roster and crossplay alone.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Its only meaningless if you don't take the genre seriously. There is nothing arbitrary about knowing precisely what reaction a move will produce when you land them at a specific damage percent.
I was talking about the actual percent symbol (%), not the concept behind Smash's damage system. It's not a percentage of anything, so you can use any symbol you want to indicate damage, or no symbol at all and just a number.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The trailers so far have consisted of a lot of quick cuts that were hard to follow, but we FINALLY have some full gameplay!

"this game is a platform fighter, meaning the objective is to ring out your opponent"

p411izz.png

I wish you were right, mr Thaddeus Crews, i wish....

Jun 23, 2019
Damn this game is going to be hectic as shit. Chaining air-grabs off stage into aerials? Grabbing projectiles and reflecting them? Wavedashing? Wild.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of the voices, it's hard to say right now for sure, but I think there's a bit of a readability problem on a lot of moves. Stuff gets fuzzy and on that spongebob stage with the neon green background it gets even worse

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Power Rangers Battle for the Grid also launched without voices. I'm sure they'll use the money they make from the initial sales to cover the steep, steep VA price.

This looks REALLY fun to play. Really excited