• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully they will perform better this coming gen under him . To me they have been lacking behind the western Sony game studios abit .(Ofcourse just my personal take)

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
It's always a pleasure to see a French guy succeed, well deserved

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy for him. His career is such an interesting one.

I love the fact that while "just" working at London Studio, he straight up wrote to Yoshida in order to move to Japan Studio.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
What's the difference in the roles he was before as creative director and what his position is now?

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played Astrobot, but I heard it's so good and it seems a great news.
I hope Sony will make this studio bigger for next generation to see more projects from them, small and big games, from Knack III to other interesting projects.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
What's the difference in the roles he was before as creative director and what his position is now?

He's still a (the?) creative director, but is also now studio director.

I presume the latter is a more senior role giving him more authority over the studio's work in general.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Edit: Removed because I'm tired of people reading one post and replying without looking what else I posted later.

Last edited:

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
If it means we get more games similar to Astro Bot I'm all for it.

The thing is I'm not even looking for you guys to get less. I want Playstation to continue delving into VR and making stuff the fans love.

I just... want something like Wild Arms or Arc the Lad again on PS4 or 5. At least put the old games on PSN lol.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Here is his favourite PlayStation games of all time, to give a bit of context of the type of games he prefers:

Screen_Shot_2020-02-03_at_11.53.00.png

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting.

Astro Bot is one the biggest suprises I've come across in many years, and a game I would put in my Game of the Decade list, despite me being a 95% PC gamer.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
While he was obviously at the head of an awesome game, etc, this is kind of a weird move / worries me that Japan Studio is going to stay working on 'smaller' games.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is I'm not even looking for you guys to get less. I want Playstation to continue delving into VR and making stuff the fans love.

I just... want something like Wild Arms or Arc the Lad again on PS4 or 5. At least put the old games on PSN lol.

Its not like Japan Studio has developed a bunch of games like the ones you mentioned anyway (I think Legend of Dragoon is the only JRPG they've made internally). Their internal projects have always been more experimental and quirky

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Its not like Japan Studio has developed a bunch of games like the ones you mentioned anyway (I think Legend of Dragoon is the only JRPG they've made internally). Their internal projects have always been more experimental and quirky

I know but it just continues to cement Playstation's intention to focus on the west exclusively. They would rather leave the Japanese market to third parties and it just sucks. They used to do both. We used to have quirky Japanese games and western first parties since the PS1.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They haven't been making JRPGs or the like for a long time now. Its been stuff like Astro Bot and The Last Guardian for like the last decade. They've never really been pumping out "anime" style games.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
>Nicolas Doucet
>Studio Japan

Yeah good luck any chance of Sony caring about their anime styled IPs again. At least Nintendo still delivers first party anime games.
Anime ? You don't understand how great this is for future Japan Studio games. Speaking about Nintendo:

Doucet is going to bring Nintendo touch to all Japan studio games as Nintendo gameplay & magic was his main philosophy as a creative director for Astrobot.

We can probably all thank Shu for this as it was him who first trusted him and brought him to Japan (after Doucet asked him if he could work for Japan Studio in Japan, years ago).

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
This is a weird take. Like a westerner director can't somehow make a japanese inspired game.

I didn't say that. It's just sad that Sony's only Japanese studio (I don't count Team Ico as a separate one) now being head by a western director.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I feel like Japan Studio has so much potential even though they do put out some good stuff,I hope they can reach new heights next gen.