• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Link.

What attracted you to becoming a video game creator?

I used to play at arcades every day from a young age. At that time, video games were considered to be something that delinquents played. So I, being an otaku, felt terrified while I played games. I could go on forever if I started to list the games that I liked, but the title that made me want to make games myself was Gradius. I still remember how shocking it was to see a game where the stages "change" at a time when repetitive stages were popular. Even as a child, I knew that computer graphics would continue to evolve, so the reason I decided to get into the gaming industry was because I was certain that games would surpass films and overshadow all other video mediums.

Who are your creative influences?

I have been influenced by the products themselves that I felt were spectacular, rather than "who." Ico (PS2) and Ikaruga (Dreamcast) are some representative titles, and I've also copie… er, received inspiration from the great features in many other great titles when creating my own game.

After Cavia disbanded, it seemed like the Nier series was dead. How does it feel to be able to go back to a series after thinking it wasn't going to live on?

After we released Drakengard 3, I think everyone was well sick of all the games I made by then, and I really didn't really want to work anymore. I was thinking I'd probably just go and hide in the mountains and live out the rest of my life as a hermit or something. It just so happens at that time Mr. Yosuke Saito, [who] was obviously a bit tired after his work on Dragon Quest and was not thinking straight, decided to give me another chance with something like Nier. That's how you saw a new Nier; I'm still not sure how that happened.

Considering the time off between it and the original, were you surprised by the success of Automata?

Certainly from my perspective and from the fan's perspective, I think everyone thought Nier was a very dead IP at that point, so I was very surprised when they started talking about doing another one. I [thought] it would be very interesting when I heard that Platinum would be developing another one. I didn't think it'd be a hit, though; I [thought] probably it'd be a very niche game. But no, there was certainly potential there. Looking back on it, I think the kind of games that Platinum makes are very much for those action-game maniacs, and it's a very closed-off area, but it seemed like an excellent fit with the kind of really geeky worlds that Square-Enix makes. I think overall, they became a great combination together.

What are your thoughts on Platinum as a studio and Hideki Kamiya's statement recently about how Automata saved the studio?

What I think of Platinum [is that] they are a very talented, very unique kind of studio in their own way. People looking at Platinum from the outside often get the image that it's just Mr. Kamiya and a number of the top-level veterans [running] everything in a very top-down way. If you look inside the company, it really isn't like that at all. There's a lot of really passionate, really skilled young staff directors. And obviously, they go off the line, they give their opinion about what they want to do and how they view games to the top, and then it's those guys at the top who manage that. It's a great company. It's quite a rare thing to see something managed [as a] kind of bottom-up company. The other part of your question there about Mr. Kamiya's announcement that Nier: Automata saved Platinum, I think in part, that's just him being nice to us and talking us up. I think we've got a lot to thank them for as well — certainly all the young development staff I talked about. It really was a great opportunity for them to show what they've got and it brought them up two or three levels higher. And as a whole, I think that's something [the whole Nier team], myself included, really have to thank them for. I think they did a really brilliant job on that.

Do you plan to continue working with Platinum?

It's not that we've got anything lined up immediately, but certainly. I discussed a lot with the young staff on the Platinum team and it would be really great to work with them again in the future. I spoke with our producer at Square-Enix, Mr. [Yosuke] Saito as well about doing that in the future. Of course, the other thing is that if Square-Enix provides the money, I'll always make anything they ask for.

Full interview at the link. It's two pages.

Joker13

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
cannot fucking wait for Nier 3, even with all the god tier games out this year, Automata still manages to be my GOTY

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
LMAO at Yoko's request to Okabe, must be a composer's nightmare to have someone tell you how to make music down to the last detail

Neo-Rudo

Oct 27, 2017
it's awesome they gave him another chance, i never played the OG Nier and honestly never played any of the Drakengard games, 3 did interest me but never got around to playing it.

Nier Automata imo should have won GoTY but i honestly think it's still to small of a niche to be publicly voted for as GoTY.

Nier Auto is incredibly tight with this combat and the music in incredible.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
The interviews with the man continue to be both insightful and a laughing riot. The self-deprecating humor really hits the right notes for me, and stuff like the synergy of how he works with Okabe really does explain a lot of how well the music is married to the rest of the game.

Too bad we never got a Hamasaki boss fight.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
Yoko Taro is a treasure lol. I love how he talks in interviews. Some lines there are pure gold.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is amazing hahahaha.

There's some vague Automata spoilers in there I think, and some explicit Drakengard 1 spoilers, just a heads up.

Dying to play Automata.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Few things are as entertaining as a Yoko Taro interview, some of these answers are just unreal lol.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It's a very insightful interview on the way PlatinumGames is managed too, I can see why PG directors are embarrassed to get all the attention on twitter, especially Kamiya. Seems like they got a very good working environment.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
His answer on his meaning of life is dark, funny as hell, and makes you think. God damn he really is my favorite artist alive today.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I'm glad he realizes he sucks at actually making games

Let Taro and Arkane do something together and I'll probably buy it

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, though it's been pretty obvious that Taro doesn't care if you beat the entire game I suppose.

Your games always include multiple endings. What do you do to ensure that players are compelled to see them all the way through?

"I don't think people really have to see all of them, you know? I don't try that hard to make sure they do. I think there's a lot of people who play games nowadays and they don't go all the way through to completion, and you have to accept that as one way that people like to play games. So you'll maybe see one ending and then stop - or some people may not even see one - [and] stop halfway between that. They're all legitimate ways of playing, and I'm quite happy people can play that way. The way that my endings are generally structured in my games [is that they go] from Ending A to Ending E. [The structure] we generally have is each one reveals a new layer of something, or there's something that if you only saw it to the end of here, you'll maybe get one answer; if you move on, you'll see a deeper answer and something different, and [then] move on. For those people who want to go all the way through to the final ending, I then want them to go even further from that and come up with their own ideas. There will be things that they come out with and things that they see there, and I really want them to have that kind of sense of imagination in their minds as well."

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I like about Taro. He likes to keep things grounded.

The one thing I really want you to put in this article though is that, watch out children, because you're not going to learn anything about life or philosophy from a drunk, 47-year-old weirdo. I think everyone's got their own serious debates and wonders about it in their own head, so there's nothing they can really get from me about this.

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
"I remember crying along with the story as I was writing it while I was completely wasted."

THIS IS THE TYPE OF DEDICATION I WANT OUT OF ALL MY JRPG STORIES.

Nier one of my most pleasant surprises this year, sublime action and one of the best OSTs of any game released in recent memory.

Last edited:

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
"In the original Nier, there was the story of the wolf and the people with the masks. I remember crying along with the story as I was writing it while I was completely wasted."

lmao, that was legit one of the saddest parts of the game on Route B.

Interesting, though it's been pretty obvious that Taro doesn't care if you beat the entire game I suppose.

I think he said in an older interview that the inspiration for Automata's specific strucutre was that a lot of people don't finish their games, and that this is in its own way is an ending to a story, so i'm only mildly surprised by that.

Oct 27, 2017
Really interesting and funny interview.
My favourite part being :
The theme on the overall Nier team, though, is if you'll give us money, we'll basically do whatever you want.

Edit : I'd love to go out drinking with the guy. He looks like he has a lot of stuff to tell.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I need a remake of the first Nier on Ps4, never had the chance to play it.
After automata i will buy anything directed by Yoko Taro, the guy is a genious.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Interesting interview. His original plans for Drakengard's ending are the most Yoko Taro thing ever. I want to see that version of Drakengard now. Make it even more batshit lol.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We were robbed:

In Drakengard 1, obviously you may know at the end of the game you come down into Shinjuku and then there's a rhythm-game which is the final part of the game. My original proposal for that was something that the team shot down straight away. The idea was you had a giant Ayumi Hamasaki, a Japanese pop idol, come down from the sky and then you had a singing contest with her to decide the fate of the universe. And they said, "No, we can't do that," and that was shot down. A pop idol in America who's the equivalent of Ayumi Hamasaki... so basically, it'd be something like Britney Spears coming down and you being like, "Oh hey, Britney! Let's fight!" That's the kind of thing that would have been.

zephyrcian

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
This interview is amazing. But sounds like the sequel to Automata might not have Platinum on board. Considering they've already said they started working on a new NieR, that's a little odd. I wonder who's working on it then...Considering for the first time ever, NieR is getting a AAA budget in the caliber of FF maybe it's being developed by Square internally.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I wonder what he'd do with a Final Fantasy level budget from SE? Let's at least get some nice CGI cutscenes going forward.

Also I hope he is able to revisit Drakengard one day. I still adore the series from a lore standpoint and there are many bridges yet to cross.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
This interview is amazing. But sounds like the sequel to Automata might not have Platinum on board. Considering they said they are working on it, that's a little old. I wonder who's working on it then... One of Square's internal business divisions?

KH team is hands on deck with KH3 and FFVII:R is vaporware, so that leaves Business Division 2 which is Tabata's team but they're starting development on a new IP. So my only guess is that the Original NieR/Drakengard team is working on this. Hopefully they take a book or two out of what Platinum did

Given that SE hired a questdesigner for a new Nier Project, it is very believable that it is not outsourced to Platinum this time.
The original Nier team can't be working on this tho, they don't exist anymore. Nier was their swansong. They also weren't a Square Enix studio and only contracted, similar to Platinum.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This interview is amazing. But sounds like the sequel to Automata might not have Platinum on board. Considering they've already said they started working on a new NieR, that's a little old. I wonder who's working on it then...

I'd be surprised if it's not PG, there is zero reason for them not to partner again.

zephyrcian

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Given that SE hired a questdesigner for a new Nier Porject it is very beleivable that it is not outsources to Platinum this time.
The original Nier team can't be working on this tho, they don't exist anymore. Nier was their swansong. They also weren't a Square Enix studio and only contracted, similar to Platinum.

I meant Cavia yeah. No I'm aware. Drakengard 3 was developed by them. Exatly yeah. Sounds like it'll be internally developed at Square. That's great but I hope they hire at least someone from Platinum cause you can't go backwards in the combat after Automata.

zephyrcian

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I'd be surprised if it's not PG, there is zero reason for them not to partner again.

I don't think they are since they just hired a quest designer for a new NieR project and it's internally developed by Square themselves. And this interview also proves it since Taro said he'd like to work with them again if the opportunity arised. Guess they're not teaming up with Platinum again. Makes sense. It's a AAA budget this time and they want to make it a major IP within Square. Should be interesting.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I love this guy so much! I would also love to hear what he really thought of the game undertale, since it seems he really liked it (and some part of automata reminded me of that)

Wiggles

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope another collaboration with Platinum happens for the newly announced Nier project. Automata was the best game I played this year, perfect marriage of what made the first game special with Platinum's action expertise.

Palculator

Oct 24, 2017
Germany
I wonder what he'd do with a Final Fantasy level budget from SE? Let's at least get some nice CGI cutscenes going forward.

Also I hope he is able to revisit Drakengard one day. I still adore the series from a lore standpoint and there are many bridges yet to cross.
I re-played it after Nier 2 and it's very tough to go back to. I even played DoD1 back in the PS2 days, but it was rightfully considered mediocre from a gameplay standpoint at the time. Almost 15 years didn't do that any favours. DoD3 is a lot better, but even that is very, very rough around the edges, with its massive performance issues and stiff combat. The series' lore is amazing, yes, but I cannot overstate how happy I am Platinum Games has (and hopefully will again) handled the gameplay this time.

zephyrcian

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I love this guy so much! I would also love to hear what he really thought of the game undertale, since it seems he really liked it (and some part of automata reminded me of that)

He rocks. One of Taro's GOTY for 2016 was FFXV. He wanted to one day make a game of that scale and budget and that really impressed him. Looks like he's finally getting his wish.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they are since they just hired a quest designer for a new NieR project and it's internally developed by Square themselves. And this interview also proves it since Taro said he'd like to work with them again if the opportunity arised. Guess they're not teaming up with Platinum again. Makes sense. It's a AAA budget this time and they want to make it a major IP within Square. Should be interesting.

Well I'm not sure that means much since it would be a collaborative effort and Taro brought his composer (and others I'm sure) to work on NierA alongside PG as well. When PG developed MGR they also received help from various KojiPro members such as the scenario writer. So yeah, I don't think it's out of the question that PG will be involved again.

zephyrcian

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Well I'm not sure that means much since it would be a collaborative effort and Taro brought his composer (and others I'm sure) to work on NierA alongside PG as well. When PG developed MGR they also received help from various KojiPro members such as the scenario writer. So yeah, I don't think it's out of the question that PG will be involved again.

Guess we'll see but all signs are pointing to Square making it themselves this time.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I meant Cavia yeah. No I'm aware. Drakengard 3 was developed by them. Exatly yeah. Sounds like it'll be internally developed at Square. That's great but I hope they hire at least someone from Platinum cause you can't go backwards in the combat after Automata.

Drakengard 3 was accessgames, an even worse studio than Cavia lol.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I re-played it after Nier 2 and it's very tough to go back to. I even played DoD1 back in the PS2 days, but it was rightfully considered mediocre from a gameplay standpoint at the time. Almost 15 years didn't do that any favours. DoD3 is a lot better, but even that is very, very rough around the edges, with its massive performance issues and stiff combat. The series' lore is amazing, yes, but I cannot overstate how happy I am Platinum Games has (and hopefully will again) handled the gameplay this time.
Yup, drakengard games are nothing more than mediocre musous held up by their story and chars, I love them anyway. Platinum's inclusion in Automata was a godsend. Now we just need better quest designers for the next Nier and I'll be as happy as I can be.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Will be getting Nier 3, Nier Automata is my GOTY atm (still got to play zelda though).

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the way Nier's music is ordered and composed:
But Mr. Okabe, you see, he quite likes money, so he'll do anything you ask him to. The theme on the overall Nier team, though, is if you'll give us money, we'll basically do whatever you want.
On Nier's ending and the choice:
Most intelligent developers would be taking statistics on that and find out the metrics; but as you may know, I'm quite an idiot, so I don't do that kind of thing
:D:D:D