• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shiranui93

One Winged Slayer
Mar 7, 2018
Clicked with me from the very beginning, loved almost everything about the game. Too much 9s gameplay though.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Been playing since Drakengard 1 so zero.

Also knew the twist before I started since I played the first Nier and was paying attention.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd give it another few hours, but if you haven't started to get curious about what is going on by then it might not draw you in.

It really starts off slow, but just keeps on building the intrigue until the ending. Route B can be a bit of a slog, but you do get some interesting insight from the alternate viewpoint and it drives home some of the nuances about the relationship between 2B & 9S.
The
Simone boss fight
in Route B emotionally destroyed me. So yeah, while Route B is generally meh, the little things it introduces are amazing

rodtrindade

Oct 25, 2017
It clicked immediately, but after getting to the settlement I got a bit tired. Powered through it and enjoyed the following missions and the game as a whole until the final ending. I've read a lot of people criticizing the gameplay, but that's something that kept me involved. Really enjoyed the combat and combining different chips and weapons. One thing that bothered me until the end, though, is that the world is really bland visually.

All things considered, Top 5 game of 2017.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I picked the game up last year but I've just been busy, I started at recently and I like it. I don't know if it fully clicks with me yet either, there's parts I like alot but it's not screaming GOTY contender for me the same way Horizon did.

For what it's worth, I vastly prefer Japanese style games over Western ones 9 times out of 10. I really love 2B's design and I'd go as far as to say as she might be my favorite character design of all time. However, the combat and story as well as somewhat empty environments haven't completely captivated me.

I really like the game, but haven't gotten to loving it yet and hope I do. There are some really great moments but plenrp of average sandwiched in between. I'm about 13 hours in, towards the beginning of route B and will update as I get further.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The warning after Route A is actually the exact opposite: the game very plainly tells you "things aren't over yet, this is not the end of the game, please keep playing".

Yeah, my bad I think that's right, but it should say what I said!

Or make it all part of Route A, it wouldn't have been difficult - I know exactly what you mean I think it would have been a better experience overall - and not necessarily much shorter.

Buckley

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I felt that finishing A was a slog, when I found out I needed to do it again to like it I gave up and traded it in. I genuinely didnt like the game in any particular way, unfortunately. It's a shame because people love it so much but I just couldn't get into the gameplay or the story. Absolutely loved the soundtrack.
Yeah, not all great games are going to click with everyone. I was like that with Persona 5. I find P5 pretty terrible, tbh. But I can appreciate that others love it. On the other hand Automata is one of my favorite games this gen but I get why others don't think so.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing since Drakengard 1 so zero.

Also knew the twist before I started since I played the first Nier and was paying attention.
I wouldn't really consider that the big twist.
Everything being according to plan with the virus and 2B being 2E and her entire reason for existence being to kill 9S over and over again was a much bigger twist

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
It never did.

I mean, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, make no mistake about it. But I always felt there would be this moment where everything would come togehter, and it never did. So NieR felt a lot of awesome moments one after the other, but missing something to tie them all up.

Deleted member 16609

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
The story and music kept me playing the game. The side quests in this game add more depth to the world as well. A lot of WTF moments in the game during route B but route C gets things popping. I beat the game last weekend. I died like 4 times throughout my whole run. Game is fairly easy. Even on normal. I suggest to do a majority of the side quest with 2B because you get solid weapons from them.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my bad I think that's right, but it should say what I said!

Or make it all part of Route A, it wouldn't have been difficult - I know exactly what you mean I think it would have been a better experience overall - and not necessarily much shorter.

I get the feeling that message is there specifically for reviewers who aren't familiar with Yoko Taro's games who would otherwise just think the game stopped there and start to write their reviews at that point.

Which, given how minor the differences in Route B tended to be until the third act, is something I would forgive them for doing if they weren't warned in advance.

I think Taro just needs to learn a few new tricks - he's been pulling some of the same stunts over and over again since DG1, and a lot of the developments in this game feel repetitive and not as well-executed as a result. I feel like I'm going down a path I've already walked down, only this time my traveling companions are unlikeable jerks instead of charming fuckups like Nier, Kaine and Emil.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Game literally clicked for me in the opening sequence and everything just got better from there.

Oct 29, 2017
I just started Route B and it clicked for me with the fight against Adam and Eve but then started losing steam, the ending for Route A was disappointing but gave me hope that Route B would pick up... but it seems Route B focuses on the worst parts of the game (being the shmup mech segments with utter shit controls and hacking) so it's been a slog so far.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
I was 100% in about 10 seconds into the demo. The transition to the more open-world style of the rest of the game took a bit to get used to after that, but since I had recently finished the first Nier it didn't put me off to much, although I did expect the game to be a bit closer to that first level. By the time I got to the Amusement Park I was fully on board though.

SantosStrife

Oct 27, 2017
Yoko Taro games are not for everyone. What I really like about his games are the compelling stories with great characters. And when I say great characters I have to say strange/weird/crazy characters.

The characters are totally away from the ordinary and have reasons and motivations really different from the basic just evil or good, unlike most of stories. They have depth and great development.

The Drakengard games as example, have grotesque moments filled with dark scenes that don't have fear to reach taboo subjects. I never view something like that in my life, is an unique way to tell stories.

After playing the Drakengard series and Nier with the terrible framerate, I always thought the series deserved better. When Nier Automata was announced and the trailer showed that the developers are going to be Platinumgames my hype level reached the sky.

The game clicked to me with everything I saw in the first trailer, and finally the game/series have the recognition that it deserves.

After the release of Nier Automata people begin to joke about a Final Fantasy game directed by Taro. And know it's my most wanted game collaboration after Iga making a gothic metroidvania with Vanillaware.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

I was really enjoying the game up until this point, but afterwards, I knew this game was special.

It's now one of my favourite games of all time

Nov 6, 2017
It took me a year to buy it, because I was certain its overrated af, just like any asian waifu game and I havent enjoyed any of the overrated asian games I played(Persona 5 for example was average), besides the fact that the environments looked like utter shit from all the videos I saw. I caved in 2 weeks ago or so and bought it cuz it was on sale. I was right about the environments, they are truly bad but serviceable I guess. What I did not expect was that amazing soundtrack and incredible story. The idea, the morale, the fourth wall breaking and how it all works was nice. Its incredibly unique, I'll give you that. Problem is you will have to replay once though shorter/faster to get to a real ending and even then you need to see both sides to get to the presumably canon ending. Still worth it.

Hero of Winds

Oct 28, 2017
Clicked pretty instantly for me. The latter half of Route B started to drag on, but Route C onward more than made up for it. Such an amazing experience.

Now if only the DLC would go on sale

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Never did. And I *love* Nier.

Automata's story was just... nothing to me. It has some neat themes and a really heartfelt final ending but nearly everything before that ending just left me with... nothing. But good thematic unity is nothing to me if the character's don't hold up their end and man do I just not care for any of Automata's characters. "Hey, maybe 2B is a cool character and that's why coupled with fanservice, she's pasted everywhere" ... "nope just fanservice here". A2 felt equally as just... kinda there. Ya there *is* stuff but it all just feels very rote and kinda typical existential youthful crises. Pascal was 'ight, though. In a lot of ways he is the emotional core of the game. And then there's 9S. 9S is an idiot. Every time he talked all I could think of from the very beginning was 9S is an idiot.

And then he keeps doubling down. AND DOUBLING DOWN EVEN HARDER. It was just painful to deal with. Like I *get it*. I really get the point of the characters but they all just felt like walking existential questions to me and nothing else.

Nier wasn't that. Old Man Nier is like a "better" version of what 9S is in a lot of ways and is also really likable and relatable in a lot of ways while also being massively flawed. And the same can be said for a lot of Nier's characters regarding Kaine, Weiss, and Emil. I really really could go on and on with how cold Automata left me feeling, aside from Ending E which I thought was really nice.

lol same for me, 180 turn, but the other way around, from "ok guy is likeable after all" to "oh god lord shut up already". But I think it was intentional though, or so it felt to me.

9S is a gigantic fucking idiot.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
We really hyped this game on the visuals, damn it.. we keep lying to ourselves that graphics equals gameplay, I'm also one of those many people :p

Oh look, shiny!! :)

Deleted member 10611

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The moment I started playing.

I love the original Nier and was confident from the beginning that Automata would be for me.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
The moment I started playing.

I love the original Nier and was confident from the beginning that Automata would be for me.

I think playing and loving Nier was exactly why Automata left me so cold. Played a lot of the same cards while having a less likable casts that felt too flat to me and more concerned with its themes than its characters.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think playing and loving Nier was exactly why Automata left me so cold. Played a lot of the same cards while having a less likable casts that felt too flat to me and more concerned with its themes than its characters.

Exactly. It felt like Nier Redux, but without any of the likeable characters the first game had combined with a world I didn't care about protecting.

And the "the humans were all already dead" twist was telegraphed by the first game. I don't know why they thought it was a surprise.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. It felt like Nier Redux, but without any of the likeable characters the first game had combined with a world I didn't care about protecting.

And the "the humans were all already dead" twist was telegraphed by the first game. I don't know why they thought it was a surprise.

I don't think it was ever meant to be a surprise for people who had played Nier, hence why it's not the twist in the game and more of a footnote. Just like it's not a surprise to any of the characters in the game. An actual twist would have been humanity being alive.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The demo lol

Knew it was fucking special and now it's probably in my top 5 favorite games of all time. My second platinum ever and I don't give a shit about trophies.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
My favorite part of the game is by far Route A. That's when it felt like a process of uncovering mystery.

The game gets bogged down as it progresses.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Never really clicked...the story and characters are fantastic, but you see all of the art and level assets around 4 hours into the game...and that just sucks

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You basically got to play 20 hours of boring shit until the last act saves it.

Route B especially just seems like a giant waste of time.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Playtrough a was fine untill the credits came, then I was furious. Then I understanded that I could load my save and continue to route b. I had a small giggle and said to myself "what a metal gear moment." Then the game started again and I was scratching my head and sighing from dissappointment. It was such a buzz kill. When I completed b I couldnt understand what game everyone else had played since I didnt have anything particularly good to say about the game. I was ready to give up playing.

During the b ending credit sequence the game managed to peak my interest and I loaded my save to start route c. And from that point on the game was good and I was totally onboard the Taro train. Such a great game.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Yeah I got baited by the praise for this game. Coming from Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta the combat doesn't compare. The story is still just ok and I've started route C. I have not been moved. I came on expecting platinum action and I got this strange hybrid with a ton of bullet hell stages. I don't think it's going to click. Nier Automata has beautiful parts, cool environments, beautiful music, pretty good voice acting. I think when you put it all together I come away disappointed.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Yeah I got baited by the praise for this game. Coming from Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta the combat doesn't compare. The story is still just ok and I've started route C. I have not been moved. I came on expecting platinum action and I got this strange hybrid with a ton of bullet hell stages. I don't think it's going to click. Nier Automata has beautiful parts, cool environments, beautiful music, pretty good voice acting. I think when you put it all together I come away disappointed.
In my honest opinion a to b are just build ups and the real stuff happens in c > d > e. I wouldnt worry if I were you. I felt the same.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't.

Shut it off after 2 hours, combat was ok ish but I just don't like the game. Was my first Nier too... probably didn't help.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
After playing the Japanese demo when it first launched. Game is in my top 5 all time indeed.