• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
! SPOILERS !

I've beaten the game for about a week now, so I've had some time to digest my thoughts. I'll break my thoughts out into multiple sections for easier reading. Shoutouts to the Automata OT community always answering the smattering of questions I posted here. Disclaimer: I'd like to think I'm not a dumb man, but it's definitely possible that I've missed some subtleties along the way. Please correct me if I posit anything incorrect. Thanks for reading.

Gameplay

Going in, I knew what to expect and what not to expect. This was not a Bayonetta or Revengeance. This was an action game for Nier and S-E fans. From that angle, the core hack and slashing is very serviceable. I have issues with how they encourage dodge mashing with the way they fill the screen with hurtboxes, but that's a minor thing at best. I also enjoyed many of the boss fights. I thought the Opera Singer and the Whale were great setpieces and what I've come to expect from a Platinum game. The sidescrolling fights with Adam during the alien reveal and A2 in the forest were also fun. I wish there were more bosses that experiment with the camera quirks than the vanilla stuff like the last fight with Eve or the first two Orb bosses before you fight the twin orbs in the tower. On a slightly different note, I thought the hacking was a lot of fun! Bullet hells were my jam, so I never got tired of hacking. I actually think that having the ability to remotely bomb enemies was way more useful than 2B/A2's heavy attacks.

The real issue that has been discussed is the difficulty balancing. Normal is fine for newcomers, but for anyone with a decent amount of action game experience, Hard Mode is a bit too binary of a mode. For most of the first half of the game, you're either 1 shot projectiles and bosses or you're not. If I wanted to play ohko mode, I would've picked Very Hard. I understand why ohkos are necessary due to the instant and infinite healing you can acquire, but after playing so many Souls games, the whole balance of this system left me wanting.

My next biggest gripe is the open world. I get why they wanted to make it open. I actually quite enjoyed most of the areas like the desert (how do you make a desert so pretty?) and the forest. But I don't think I've seen so many invisible walls since the PS2 era. Why can I squeeze between the android-sized gap in the tree roots, but I can't jump into the obvious hole in the wall of the building? It seemed incredibly arbitrary what I could and could not traverse and even though I got a feel for it by the end, the first 10hrs of exploration were an exercise in frustration. Don't hide chests and weapons in your world when the very act of exploring it is a chore.

Lastly and maybe hand-in-hand with the open world are the side-quests. I don't think I've done so many fetch quests since my last MMO. I ended up completing all but 2 side quests in the game and I really didn't enjoy most of them. Getting to know the NPCs was probably the most interesting part, but there are better ways the devs could have implemented that. I suppose I could've skipped most of them, but they were pretty much the meat of the game. If I had blazed through Route A, I would've been very upset that I had to do it over for Route B. Since the side quests were different, my playthrough was padded with enough unique fluff to not feel as bad.

Overall, I thought the quest and world design to be quite lacking for a single player game released in 2017. The industry has moved on from such primitive efforts and I was a bit disappointed.

Story

First and foremost, I really enjoyed Route B. I thought 9S was a great character and I enjoyed watching/playing the extra tidbits from his PoV. The best example was in the opening. When you're playing as 2B in the factory, you end up having a very casual conversation with 9S during the dead time while climbing some stairs. Little did you know that during this whole talk, 9S was fighting tons of enemy fliers while barrelling down some pathway deeper into the factory. That tells us a lot more about 9S's character that was obscured from me during Route A. That said, I will agree that Route B is mostly superfluous. There could have been tons of ways to convey the extra bits of B without making the player replay the game. In C, they pretty much do just that with the switching perspectives! Based on the posts I've read, I'm sure Route B cost the game a non-neglible amount of players and it's just a shame.

Looking at the big picture, the story felt a bit rushed and sloppy. What I mean by that is that a lot of story threads are picked up and cut short before they were given the time to shine. You could have made an entire game about uncovering the dead aliens, YoRHa being a setup, androids being birthed from machines, and more. I get that they all contribute their piece to the bigger picture, but I felt that none of those plotlines got the nurturing they deserved and as a result, each of the reveals fall a bit flat. Did we ever find out why the machines around the world started going berserk after the tower appeared? What did the girls in red represent? The disembodied voice in the tower was the collective machine will... right? Why do the pods restart the experiment? Who is this is all for?

And as for the bigger concepts in the game: sentience, self-will, what it means to be android/machine/human, etc. I know this struck a chord with a lot of people and this may be an unpopular opinion, but I thought that the game really only scrapes the surface of these concepts and did not tread any new ground in this area.

Audio

Ok finally, some praise! In moba lingo, the audio in this game pretty much carries 1v9. That is, despite everything the game has going against it, the audio carries this game to the heavens and then some. The music is absolutely fantastic. The way the game dynamically shifts between different versions of each song is so smooth. The vocals and piano are mesmerizing. I don't think I could say anything more that hasn't already been said.

One aspect of the audio I don't see mentioned as often, however, is the English voice acting. Where the writing falls flat in trying to bring weight to the scene, the voice acting picks it up and flings it over the finish line. I really empathized with 9S's anguish because it felt real to me. Compare 2B's voice acting to FFXIII's Lightning. 2B sounds wooden and disaffected most of the time, but you can pick up the subtle intonations over the course of the game and by the 2E reveal, you finally understand why they're there. I don't think I've ever scrutinized or really noticed how good/bad voice acting is, but this game's voices really pulled me into their struggles.

The Ending

One of the best endings in gaming. And I don't mean the conclusion to the androids' story. Unlike the original Nier, this game doesn't hold Ending E ransom for your save file. Instead, you're met with insurmountable odds and you're forced to seek help from others to push through. (Can you actually beat it alone?) The way the music harmonized when you call for help is something I won't ever forget. When it came time for me to be recruited to join the fight, I hesitated in a way video games don't ever make me do. I became really emotional in giving up my story with 2B, 9S, and A2 for someone else. In my heart of hearts, I knew I had to. What helped in my decision was the tiniest of voices in the back of head, "Are you really going to grind weapons and side quests?" And the fact that that is something I thought about during such a critical moment is I think Nier: Automata's greatest crime.

In closing, this game was able to touch somewhere deep. But not because of the gameplay or even most of the story. I think the themes of self-sacrifice, togetherness, etc. would have been better served in a better game. I think as a game, Nier: Automata has completely failed on multiple levels. But at the same time, it has achieved more than most games dare to dream.

Thanks again for reading.

Mod edit : removed red text.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
I've been really thinking about quest design for the past couple of days and how many games seem to come across as lackluster in this regard lately (aside for a handful like Divinity Original Sin 2 and Deus Ex Mankind Divided). It was disappointing to see Nier there as well (though I was expecting it from the previous game) but getting to know the NPCs was nice.

You're probably right about a lot of your criticisms and the more I think on it, I actually liked the shmup segments more than I thought I would. Probably more than the core game where unbalanced healing systems really brought it down (and no ranking system to push a nuanced perfectionist play either, very hard encouraging turtling is not my idea of a good challenge) and the leveling really got in the way of Platinum's usually enjoyable systems.

Still, I find it difficult to deny the emotional core of new beings trying to discover sentience in the world and the integration of the UI in the game is nothing short of magnificent. The Alternate endings are also rather charming despite their brevity. And of course, Ending E is sublime.

OP
OP
Lumination

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Still, I find it difficult to deny the emotional core of new beings trying to discover sentience in the world and the integration of the UI in the game is nothing short of magnificent. The Alternate endings are also rather charming despite their brevity. And of course, Ending E is sublime.
The game definitely has a lot of charm. The pods struggling with their own sentience was a lot of fun to watch develop. I wish there were more moments like when they actually recorded your actions during the Route A recalibration and played it back in B.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Gameplay-wise, I won't remember that game fondly.

The soundtrack, however, was perfect, and the story was rather interesting all things considered (although there are some characters that fell flat).

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
It was one of my biggest disappointments from last year. I really liked the first few hours but once I got to the open world my enjoyment slowly started to deteriorate.

I hated the design of the world from an aesthetic and a practical sense. It looked ugly and it wasn't a World I really wanted to explore. There's some cool locales, but I felt the game would have been better off as a more centralized hub-style game as opposed to open world. At times this game's world was simply a pain in the ass to navigate and I feel like I spent so much time backtracking and bouncing between outposts.

I tried doing a lot of side quests and while some were neat little bits of story and world building, others didn't have much payoff and the act of actually completing the side quests was monotonous as hell.

That wouldn't be a huge issue with me if I hadn't started to become bored of the combat as well. While it was flashy it didn't really feel that deep. One of PTs simpler systems.

The game was also really easy which assisted my growing boredom of the game. I wasn't really getting attached to the characters and the story wasn't really gripping me in anyway to keep me pushing through it.

Once I got to route B I quit the game and went on to other things since 2017 was jam packed. Route B's gameplay loop was was not enjoyable. The hacking mini game was cool for a while but after like an hour or so the gimmick's charm wore off.

A few months later I went back and begrudgingly completed it and while the payoff was great, it didn't make up for the 15-20 hours I spent droning around that game's world.

With that said, I did enjoy the start of the game and most of the "levels" were really fun. The game was at its best when you're breaknecking between bullet hell and action game; 3D, to isometric, to side scroller. Those parts were awesome and the entire epilogue was great as was Ending E.

The unconventional methods Taro used were often pretty cool but they didn't have that same spice since I wasn't invested in the story by that point.

I liked parts of Nier, but as a whole package I didn't enjoy it.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
One aspect of the audio I don't see mentioned as often, however, is the English voice acting. Where the writing falls flat in trying to bring weight to the scene, the voice acting picks it up and flings it over the finish line. I really empathized with 9S's anguish because it felt real to me. Compare 2B's voice acting to FFXIII's Lightning. 2B sounds wooden and disaffected most of the time, but you can pick up the subtle intonations over the course of the game and by the 2E reveal, you finally understand why they're there. I don't think I've ever scrutinized or really noticed how good/bad voice acting is, but this game's voices really pulled me into their struggles.
Yeah 8-4 do amazing localization work. I have no idea if you played FFXV but Ray Chase who does Eve also does Noctis in XV. God damn is he amazing as Eve and bad as Noctis. Just shows how much good voice direction does for a game, something XV had none of.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's way too overhyped by it's fanbase.
Decent game filed with questionable design decisions and sub par combat.

The OST is by far the best thing about it.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah 8-4 do amazing localization work. I have no idea if you played FFXV but Ray Chase who does Eve also does Noctis in XV. God damn is he amazing as Eve and bad as Noctis. Just shows how much good voice direction does for a game, something XV had none of.

If you're going to praise the voice direction, Cup of Tea Productions would be the team to point to for that. They often work with 8-4 and they also did Shadows of Valentia which also had wonderful voice work (especially Berkut, like Goddamn).

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting to provide my full thoughts on the game after I finish all the major routes, but damn you're absolutely right about the invisible walls. I feel like a good chunk of the game's exploration is just bumping into things to see if you can actually go into it or if it's an invisible wall. It's pretty jarring for a 2017 game.

OP
OP
Lumination

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
If you're going to praise the voice direction, Cup of Tea Productions would be the team to point to for that. They often work with 8-4 and they also did Shadows of Valentia which also had wonderful voice work (especially Berkut, like Goddamn).
I've heard nothing but good things about SoV's voice acting. I just need to beat these last two Nohr Lunatic levels before I can move on!

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard nothing but good things about SoV's voice acting. I just need to beat these last two Nohr Lunatic levels before I can move on!

It really is superb, especially when it's combined with the perfectly implemented auto advance that allows every conversation to flow so smoothly, almost like a good audiobook.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

If you really liked the english vouce acting, then i recommend listening to 2B and 9S english voice actors reading the game concert script on youtube.
Heck, Kyle McCarley, the voice actor of 9S, did a playthrough of the game and voiced the unvoiced 9s lines in route B and D.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
The game tired me. It had a lot of cool stuff but doing the side-quests was really tiring. Going from place to place was boring. Even when the quests offered cool stuff it rarely felt worth it and by route C I was ready for the game to be over.

The camera system was awesome and I liked how the combat worked (except for the reliance on the hacking on route C) and the story did have it's moments with a cool universe to discover (the end credits sequence was a great moment) but it was a tiresome game at the same time.

The existentialism was great but I could've lived without the open world pretty much.

EDIT: I also didn't quite get the whole "2B was made to kill 9S" thing?

BlondeTuna

Oct 27, 2017
Eastvale, CA
I'm playing through right now and I'm still on route A. The invisible walls and the fetch quest nature of the side content are by far my biggest issue with the game. Love the gameplay, characters, story, and music.

OP
OP
Lumination

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
If you really liked the english vouce acting, then i recommend listening to 2B and 9S english voice actors reading the game concert script on youtube.
Heck, Kyle McCarley, the voice actor of 9S, did a playthrough of the game and voiced the unvoiced 9s lines in route B and D.
That's awesome. Definitely will do, thanks.

EDIT: I also didn't quite get the whole "2B was made to kill 9S" thing?
I think the gist was that the 9S model was too smart for its own good. Every 9S model is bound to discover YoRHa's secret, so 2B's job is to kill 9S before that happens. This is the "real" reason why 2B is constantly killing 9S. I put real in quotes because the game doesn't make it clear that they could've gotten out of those situations without 9S dying. Perhaps they were placed on those specific missions for that reason as well.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
That's awesome. Definitely will do, thanks.

I think the gist was that the 9S model was too smart for its own good. Every 9S model is bound to discover YoRHa's secret, so 2B's job is to kill 9S before that happens. This is the "real" reason why 2B is constantly killing 9S. I put real in quotes because the game doesn't make it clear that they could've gotten out of those situations without 9S dying. Perhaps they were placed on those specific missions for that reason as well.

But she kills him twice only. And it supposedly happened before? But they only met at the beggining of the game, or not I guess. Maybe she knew other 9S models. Dunno.

OP
OP
Lumination

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
But she kills him twice only. And it supposedly happened before? But they only met at the beggining of the game, or not I guess. Maybe she knew other 9S models. Dunno.
Yeah, I think it's implied it's happened before. That's why her emotions slip a little in the opening sections because it's not her first, second, or third time.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's one of the things that is mostly implied in the game, but Yoko Taro gave more details about it in short stories he wrote after the game release. He did the same thing for the original Nier release and drakenguard, writing more about the universe in different forms.
(Heck, technically, Nier Automata is a sequel to a stage play he did a few years ago.)
Here's a link to some of the additionnal stuff he wrote : https://theark.wiki/w/I_just_got_Ending_E

OP
OP
Lumination

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
But with the same 9S? How? When?

Damn you Nier!
Yeah because 9S never uploads himself to the server (like in the opening), his memory is always cut short. Either completely like when he "first" meets you after the tutorial miniboss or partially like after the tutorial Engels. His partial memory gets uploaded to a new body, something (coincidentally or not) happens that forces 2B to kill 9S, repeat. The cycle is broken when he gets uplinked with the machines instead of being completely wiped after beating Eve. 2B remembers all of their encounters, however.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Nier Automata is a game that benefits from all its aspects to achieve something good, it's not a game that covers some bad things with some amazing ones IMO.
The story is interesting and has some interesting topics but it's not great, the combat is better than most action rpgs but worse than other Platinum games, the OST and some art design are outstanding but some zones in the game are boring and barren.
Creating an interesting-themed action RPG with good combat and better artistic direction is something rare, and Nier Automata feels like an special and unique experience.
The only thing I would say it's really bad in the game is the open-world experience, it feels like an afterthought and doesn't offer anything meaningful, exploring is not funny and some of the areas are boring or a pain to traverse (like the factory or the castle).
Sidequests are not great, and the map is useless, making finding some specific places a pain.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the gameplay was awesome with super fun controls and mechanics. My personal biggest nitpick (and I'll get flak for this) was actually ending E. I was so confused on the actual in-universe explanation of what happened with it that it felt meta for the sake of being meta. That being said, I still enjoyed what the message it was telling me and everyone coming to my aid when I needed it. One of the best games of 2017 for sure.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
The game definitely has a lot of charm. The pods struggling with their own sentience was a lot of fun to watch develop. I wish there were more moments like when they actually recorded your actions during the Route A recalibration and played it back in B.

I never got around to confirm it myself, but i've read that the way 2B walks towads 9S at the end of Route B is mimicing the way the player walked during A.
If i ever play through the game a third time i gotta pay attention to that.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I think the open world is fine. It's not gratuitous in its design, it does a lot to make you familiarize yourself with the space that its created to move the game forward and not inundate you with frivolous side quests (most of the time). It's a very linear open world, and I have distinct memories that stem from each zone as each one has its own identity.

The game has flaws. It's a little too on the nose sometimes, with 9s and 2b pondering a little too often 'doz machines have feelings?' But the problems I have are so minute that they don't hamper the stellar set pieces and a story well executed that it's had a huge impact on me. It's one of the most profound experiences I've been had with anything in the entertainment medium, and I've consumed games and film since I can remember.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
As stated the music really is top notch. The rest of it feel generic to me. I have a hard time getting motivation to keep playing it. I know they say the more you play it the better it gets, but does it really ever become a great game? Or it as a whole "just gets better"

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It's one of the most overrated games I ever played, I'm shocked at the high praise. It felt like they had an idea for an 8 hour game and stretched it out over 20 hours by making you replay the same campaign twice over, then a few new additions, then travel through a tedious open world with terrible sidequests.

The gameplay was horrid at points. I remember on Route C being stuck at the checkpoint of a boss with no items and no way to replenish lives and I was trapped there because that's how the games checkpoint system worked and I saved. I had to set the difficulty down to easy because otherwise I would have never made it past.

Twiz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The audio felt like the only real standout to me. I was playing through soundbar and would rattle walls at low volumes.
Having played the original nier before this I knew my save would cease to exist. At least I could buy my platinum. Thanks Platinum!

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
As stated the music really is top notch. The rest of it feel generic to me. I have a hard time getting motivation to keep playing it. I know they say the more you play it the better it gets, but does it really ever become a great game? Or it as a whole "just gets better"

Some of the art design, especially when it comes to the world, leaves some to be desired, however, that probably has to do with budget constraints. Whether or not it "gets better" is completely subjective, you just have to play through it some more to gauge that. It won't be remembered for the gameplay, which I think is good and as versatile as you want it to be, but it's a game that does what most games can't — it tells a genuinely moving story without being cynical or condescending.

The end of route a doesn't take long, but if you're not into it after that then I doubt you'd like the rest of it. Not everything is for everyone and that's completely fine.

OP
OP
Lumination

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017

Steiner

Oct 29, 2017
It was a big disappointment for me.
The whole gameplay was just bad. Battles are boring, because of the little enemy variety and unlimited healing items.

PG just recycles a lesser version of the Bayonetta battle system for their games in recent years.

The shooting parts are literally worse than in any free Android game. Not to mention the boring hacking mini game.
And, like you mentioned, it has one of the worst open worlds I experienced. The constant stuttering on the PS4 Pro was just the icing on the cake.

It wouldn't be a big problem if the story would've grabbed me, but it didn't.

Non of the events were emotional or impacted me. Especially everything regarding Pascal felt incredibly forced and fake.

Even the music, which is the best part of the game is often times pretty generic, like the resistance camp music or the final boss in route A. It's good, but it could also be used in a FF for example without any adjustments.

All in all a big letdown for me.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
So would you say it's the best bad game you ever played or the worst good game?

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The open world isn't good but I can't fault the game knowing that it was likely due to its budget. They should have tidied it up more though by making invisible walls less obvious and fixing obvious mistakes. The building you can enter in the centre of the city ruins has the corner of another building clipping into it and it drives me nuts.

Jan 10, 2018
I thought it was an ok game. The world design and quest design was a bit lacking and I didn't really like the combat that much, but overall it felt like a unique and fresh experience. I'm all for action games with good story writing.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
The quest design was simple , but that was because the open world design was simple. There isn't much you can do when you have to explore a world like that ...
But the Quest givers , their dialogs were just beautifull.
I never got tired of those quests because i knew my reward would be a excellent experience in from of world building.

Still , the girl with the ribbon , the game designer quest , the traitor quest , the hikkikomori quests , all the jean-paul quests were just beautifull
And don't get me started on all the quests in the amusement park , just great overall .. the romeo and juliet part was just fantastic.

I had so many good moments questing in this game. , it made a good game , great.
Like my only problem with nier automata is not that it was a open world game world , it's just that the open world gameplay/design wasn't as polished as the rest .. it was good , but it lacked something even if it did have some nice secrets ( oasis , underground tunnels , etc etc ).

PS: Oh yeah the map was 1000% useless , i wish i could have a chip upgrade to make it good and place good waypoints but it didn't exist in this game.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I really think this should have been a linear level based game. No idea why they made it open world.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite games of all time. Though I agree that Route B could have been handled better. It's a roadblock for a lot of people. Though I enjoyed the hacking about halfway through Route B. Hacking and having a spear as his weapon makes most of 9S's combat encounters a complete joke.

Igama

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the game today. I still have to collect my thoughts about it, but it is without a doubt one of the most unique games I have ever played.

OP
OP
Lumination

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The quest design was simple , but that was because the open world design was simple. There isn't much you can do when you have to explore a world like that ...
But the Quest givers , their dialogs were just beautifull.
I never got tired of those quests because i knew my reward would be a excellent experience in from of world building.

Still , the girl with the ribbon , the game designer quest , the traitor quest , the hikkikomori quests , all the jean-paul quests were just beautifull
And don't get me started on all the quests in the amusement park , just great overall .. the romeo and juliet part was just fantastic.
Yeah, I liked the worldbuilding. I just wish they had conveyed it in some other way besides mundane fetch quests. The hikkikomori one and the game hacking one you mentioned definitely comes to mind. The black belt machine was cool too. More of those and fewer Jean-Paul trek halfway around the world 3 times just to press A at an NPC type quests.

So would you say it's the best bad game you ever played or the worst good game?
Best bad game. It was definitely a bad game lol.

Last edited:

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
The real issue that has been discussed is the difficulty balancing. Normal is fine for newcomers, but for anyone with a decent amount of action game experience, Hard Mode is a bit too binary of a mode. For most of the first half of the game, you're either 1 shot projectiles and bosses or you're not. If I wanted to play ohko mode, I would've picked Very Hard. I understand why ohkos are necessary due to the instant and infinite healing you can acquire, but after playing so many Souls games, the whole balance of this system left me wanting.

This is my only issue with the game. Playing in normal, it's ridiculous how I need to hold back against beating bosses just to exhaust their dialogue first (Adam/Eve) or to see their entire moveset (Opera boss).

People might said "then play on hard if it's too easy", unfortunately hard is too hard.

Eightandh

Dec 29, 2017
It's definitely my favorite game of this generation, and probably the only game on consoles that takes itself seriously. Even the "bad" stuff to me seems kind of intentionally bad, and contributes to the overall aesthetic of the world.

I kind of feel like a lot of the references get missed by people, while at the same time several of them are purposefully meaningless. I guess that's pretty typical of Yoko Taro's pseudo-nihilism, or I guess maybe it would be more accurate to call it sardonic nihilism.