• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I beat Route A last year and then put the game down until just last month, where I completed routes B, C and D.

I really wish I'd stopped at A.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
I think during Giant Bomb goty discussions Vinny nailed with his expression of Nier "Its a beautiful world drawn by horrible brush"

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I thought the game got worse as it went on. Route A was fine. Route B sucked. Route C had a few good moments. I don't even remember route D and E at all besides the final boss.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
I have never once seen anyone take the fact that 2B stumbles over tiny objects and connect it with the overall theme that androids haven't the cultural knowledge to know why they would wear heels in battle, OR have removed them, over the thousands of years since their inception.

They have no sense of the aesthetic, or the functional, only what has been programmed into them. They, just like the robots, take concepts, information, and copy paste it whole sale. There is no understanding of love, the only lust they feel is in violence. What is beauty to a mindless killing machine? Surely, they might surmise, the humans gave them heels to wear because they serve some purpose. What purpose that serves is beyond them. So far beyond them that they never mention it. It is accepted. It is how the world is. It is what the humans wish them to wear and so they do without question, and will always do so.

And so it has continued. Forever.

To the unenlightened, her heels is just another of those fantasies. "I just like women" Taro says, smirking knowingly from within his Emil helmet. It is the conclusion we draw because we, too, are used to it.
It is accepted. It is how the world is. It is what people wish for, so artists continue to draw them and animate them without question, and will always do so.

Knowing this, who do you think are the real machines?

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hated 9S. He was a highly irrational dude and his hatred for A2 without truly knowing what was going on between her and 2B only reinforced this belief. I hated, well hate is a strong word...I strongly disliked playing as him because he always talked derogatorily towards machines and always babbled about the impossibility of them displaying emotion. It always struck me as odd that he himself was a machine that displayed emotions but treated machines as a lesser existence. Oh well, I liked the gameplay and the music was phenomenal. The story gets a lot of praise but it the character development is what is especially special in the game and not even of the protagonists- Pascal is the best thing about the game...I love him(I always view Pascal as a female because of the voice) and the little children that he mentors in the village. He made the game a delight.

OP
OP
Lumination

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I have never once seen anyone take the fact that 2B stumbles over tiny objects and connect it with the overall theme that androids haven't the cultural knowledge to know why they would wear heels in battle, OR have removed them, over the thousands of years since their inception.

They have no sense of the aesthetic, or the functional, only what has been programmed into them. They, just like the robots, take concepts, information, and copy paste it whole sale. There is no understanding of love, the only lust they feel is in violence. What is beauty to a mindless killing machine? Surely, they might surmise, the humans gave them heels to wear because they serve some purpose. What purpose that serves is beyond them. So far beyond them that they never mention it. It is accepted. It is how the world is. It is what the humans wish them to wear and so they do without question, and will always do so.

And so it has continued. Forever.

To the unenlightened, her heels is just another of those fantasies. "I just like women" Taro says, smirking knowingly from within his Emil helmet. It is the conclusion we draw because we, too, are used to it.
It is accepted. It is how the world is. It is what people wish for, so artists continue to draw them and animate them without question, and will always do so.

Knowing this, who do you think are the real machines?
I do think this is touched upon once. It wasn't heels, but it might have been about skirts?

I strongly disliked playing as him because he always talked derogatorily towards machines and always babbled about the impossibility of them displaying emotion. It always struck me as odd that he himself was a machine that displayed emotions but treated machines as a lesser existence.
He was always so easygoing unless it was about machines that I wondered if the game would explore some past trauma. In the end, the best hypothesis I can come up with is that he is naive and emotionally stunted by nature since his memory is constantly being reset through death by 2B.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have to go through endings A,B,C, and D to be able to get the supposedly "real" ending with E? Or is there a choice thing at some point that dictates what ending you get? Cause I'm on B right now and going through the game another three times isn't exactly appealing.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have to go through endings A,B,C, and D to be able to get the supposedly "real" ending with E? Or is there a choice thing at some point that dictates what ending you get? Cause I'm on B right now and going through the game another three times isn't exactly appealing.

Don't worry, things change up after B.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
I hated 9S. He was a highly irrational dude and his hatred for A2 without truly knowing what was going on between her and 2B only reinforced this belief. I hated, well hate is a strong word...I strongly disliked playing as him because he always talked derogatorily towards machines and always babbled about the impossibility of them displaying emotion. It always struck me as odd that he himself was a machine that displayed emotions but treated machines as a lesser existence. Oh well, I liked the gameplay and the music was phenomenal. The story gets a lot of praise but it the character development is what is especially special in the game and not even of the protagonists- Pascal is the best thing about the game...I love him(I always view Pascal as a female because of the voice) and the little children that he mentors in the village. He made the game a delight.
9S is the contradiction.
9S knew , he knew 2B would kill him , yet still wanted to stay close to her.
9S talked about the emotions and the machines being impossible ... yet was the one overtaken by emotion during route C . I mean if you compare 9S dialogues in those 2 routes , damn that change. In the end 9S being exposed to all the machine emotions was the one who used emotions the most .. in the end everyone , A2, 2B, 9S , Pascal , jean paul , adam were all trapped by their own emotion even if they wanted to kill those emotion.

9S was faking during route A & B .. I mean he was looking at fake emotion/behavior from the machines in his spare time.
This is what make him the true protagonist of Nier automata.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Game is poo, director even said not to expect too much.

It just exists, like everything else in the present.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
One of the games of the generation for me along with Bloodborne. Bless it! I was so delighted to find that the game literally continued after the second ending I think it was.