• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

parasite2

Oct 22, 2020
Square Enix has been doing preview events for this game on Nintendo Switch and the impressions from the people who have played the game on the Nintendo Switch are very impressive. Here are the receipts:

https://www.rpgsite.net/preview/132...t-impressive-nintendo-switch-ports-ive-played

"Docked resolution isn't noticeably lower compared to a base PlayStation 4, and while the framerate sees dips here and there - by and large the game maintains a steady performance profile. Textures, character models and lighting/shadows all hold up remarkably well, to the point where it really can't be said that anyone that would have their first experience with the game on Switch would be missing out on much compared to one of its releases on more powerful platforms."

"Frankly, I hadn't paid much attention to this port out of an assumption it would be a significantly compromised version of the game - instead, it seems clear that what might just end up being the most technically impressive Switch port may have nearly slipped under everyone's noses. If you haven't had a chance to play NieR Automata, and you only play RPGs on Switch, do yourself a favor - and keep your eye on this port."

From spanish youtuber Puerta al Sotano (you can see some footage):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj5JFpjTDww

"This is best port ever for the Nintendo Swich"

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad they couldn't make the first two Kingdom Hearts games run on Switch.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm thats pretty cool. Haven't played this game yet, maybe I'll do so on Switch

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
The game was never doing anything crazy to justify it's 900p on PS4 and 1080p on Pro in my ignorant opinion.
it really can't be said that anyone that would have their first experience with the game on Switch would be missing out on much
30 FPS is a big loss.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I feel like this says more about how poorly optimized the game was on PS4

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
idk I have it on PC but maybe I'll pick up this novelty port at some point.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Virtuos are beasts, another great Switch port to add to their growing collection

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's felt to me like Platinum has historically underoptimized a lot of their games upon first release.

From that speculative perspective, it feels like this is just the result of the game getting a chance at further optimization as this port got greenlit.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Looking forward for the Digital Foundry analysis!

Btw doesn't it use the same engine as Astral Chain? The menus are almost identical.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Dope to see another classic arriving to Switch, also fora fair price which is surprising from SE.

Great Automata port + Bayonetta 3 in the same month.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Not even close, it's regularly dipping 40-50fps. It runs closer to 60 on Pro but even that has dips.
Glad I'm playing it on PS5.. lol. Pretty sure it's a locked 60fps. But still disappointing that it's only 1080p. Seems like the game isn't really doing much that would explain why it struggles so much.

Still, like I've said before, the more people who get to play a game, the better. If this is the only way you can play it, then knock yourself out and have fun.

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
Too bad they couldn't make the first two Kingdom Hearts games run on Switch.

I'm sure technically they could, but Cloud technology is something a lot of companies are looking toward as a tech that will be used a lot in the future (in their view anyway; I don't agree nor like the fact myself).

If anything, there's likely issues with storage capacity on the Switch cartridges, which max out at 32GBs. Because companies have to go through Nintendo for distribution because of their proprietary cartridges, they probably saw it as a bit of a loss to sell the game across multiple carts. Or perhaps they just saw it as a sign that it was a good opportunity to test the tech. Either way, they could have just released the games digital-only and kept them somewhat intact, but that would have required a bit more investment than the company was willing to make at the time.

For what it's worth, KH3 wouldn't run on the Switch. It barely ran on a PS4.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure technically they could, but Cloud technology is something a lot of companies are looking toward as a tech that will be used a lot in the future (in their view anyway; I don't agree nor like the fact myself).

If anything, there's likely issues with storage capacity on the Switch cartridges, which max out at 32GBs. Because companies have to go through Nintendo for distribution because of their proprietary cartridges, they probably saw it as a bit of a loss to sell the game across multiple carts. Or perhaps they just saw it as a sign that it was a good opportunity to test the tech. Either way, they could have just released the games digital-only and kept them somewhat intact, but that would have required a bit more investment than the company was willing to make at the time.

For what it's worth, KH3 wouldn't run on the Switch. It barely ran on a PS4.

From what I understand, the issue with KH on Switch was something to do with the way the remasters were ported from PS3.

I was pumped for this port until I got my Steam Deck.

I've got a Steam Deck and I'm still pumped for it. It's among my favorite games and I'll be supporting it without a doubt. That it's such a great port makes it an even easier decision.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Autotranslator pulled that sentence from the video Lol

Game looks great.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The game was never doing anything crazy to justify it's 900p on PS4 and 1080p on Pro in my ignorant opinion.

30 FPS is a big loss.
Glad I'm playing it on PS5.. lol. Pretty sure it's a locked 60fps. But still disappointing that it's only 1080p. Seems like the game isn't really doing much that would explain why it struggles so much.

Still, like I've said before, the more people who get to play a game, the better. If this is the only way you can play it, then knock yourself out and have fun.

Global illumination settings on consoles and even on PC were ridiculously high.
And GI is a very expensive technique.

You could massively increase your FPS on PC by modding the game into using a lower quality GI setting....it didnt affect the visuals too much....dare I say you'd be hard pressed to even spot the difference.

IF the Switch version is also using a much lower GI setting then this becomes "not that" impressive because as you said, the game isnt actually doing much technically beyond GI to justify the performance cost.

i dont know if the console versions ever got patched to use lower GI settings, but I can almost certainly guarantee the Pro versions of the game would run at higher resolutions if they ever bothered to do that.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Global illumination settings on consoles and even on PC were ridiculously high.
And GI is a very expensive technique.

You could massively increase your FPS on PC by modding the game into using a lower quality GI setting....it didnt affect the visuals too much....dare I say you'd be hard pressed to even spot the difference.

IF the Switch version is also using a much lower GI setting then this becomes "not that" impressive because as you said, the game isnt actually doing much technically beyond GI to justify the performance cost.

i dont know if the console versions ever got patched to use lower GI settings, but I can almost certainly guarantee the Pro versions of the game would run at higher resolutions if they ever bothered to do that.
This is very true. Back when I played on PC I used that mod and the performance gain was massive and I couldn't even tell the difference, lol.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to get it on Switch. Hopefully undocked performance is good.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm triple-dipping on Automata. Portable Nier is something I never thought I would live to see.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
That hyperbole, lol. Don`t see why this would be so impressive when studios were able to bring technically much more demanding stuff to the platform (think of Witcher 3, Dying Light etc.).

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A port of a budget 2017 game, at 30 fps on the cloud doesn't exactly make me flip over heels.