• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
My god after following the other thread I gotta say I was not expecting this.

At least RELEASE the other version on steam. I'm obviously not getting it for free from square but come on lol

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Them not even patching the PC version once is wild. They saw it was making crazy money, and decided there was no benefit to fixing it.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Now this is some bullshit here. It's bad enough SE never fixed the original release considering how successful it was.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
So let me get this straight. The Steam version, which is SE's responsibility, is still broken as hell and the fans went ahead and did their best to patch it. The GamePass version (or port), which is Microsoft's responsibility, is optimized even for lower-end GPUs and runs well without any mods or anything? Is that right?

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this straight. The Steam version, which is SE's responsibility, is still broken as hell and the fans went ahead and did their best to patch it. The GamePass version (or port), which is Microsoft's responsibility, is optimized even for lower-end GPUs and runs well without any mods or anything? Is that right?
I just played for 30 minutes and its definitely not optimized on my 1060 6gb/ Ryzen 3600x. ~45 fps on High settings in 1080p

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I just played for 30 minutes and its definitely not optimized on my 1060 6gb/ Ryzen 3600x. ~45 fps on High settings in 1080p

Meanwhile, I downloaded the W10 Store version for it. While it's still capped at 60FPS, I'm able to manage to run it at 5120x2880 thanks to VSR maxed settings (well, with MSAA turned off)

No stutters, cutscenes work, etc.

Granted, my build is top of the line. 6900xt/3900x.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It's not Microsoft's responsibility, it's still SE's. They are the Publisher, they are getting paid for the game being sold and downloaded/played on the Microsoft Store and via Game Pass.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's not Microsoft's responsibility, it's still SE's. They are the Publisher, they are getting paid for the game being sold and downloaded/played on the Microsoft Store and via Game Pass.
Ok then I'm officially confused. Why is there such a discrepancy between the Steam version and the GamePass version? Shouldn't they be relatively similar? By responsibility, I mean who's putting in the work to port each version?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Ok then I'm officially confused. Why is there such a discrepancy between the Steam version and the GamePass version? Shouldn't they be relatively similar? By responsibility, I mean who's putting in the work to port each version?
We don't know. The original Steam port was by PlatinumGames I guess. This Microsoft Store version being named BECOME AS GODS EDITION and having 2018 in the title screen makes it seem as if it's ported from the Xbox version that released later.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
They probably did. It's the same case with the FF stuff on PC. All have Xbox Achievements (FF9 even has Play Anywhere).

I won't be surprised if FF13 Trilogy arrives on PC Gamepass in a similar fashion where the PC versions are better ports than what's on Steam lol.

God, I hope so. With 13 being viable options for purchase on both steam and Xbox, I was hoping they would fix them for Gamepass but I had doubts. This being the case for Nier is really hopeful for the 13 ports.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
So far the only thing that bothers me is the LOD, like, they couldn't increase it or add a slider?

High settings give you Anti-Aliasing 8x that even bring my 2080S to it's knees. Turn it down to 4x or 2x or even off. I didn't notice great difference but I'm playing at 21:9 1440p.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
So this gives me dq11 vibes from square. Refusing to patch in the content or better audio into the original version and instead forcing people to get a different version for the extra content and better audio. The difference here at least is this version is better all around it seems unlike dq11 which had worse graphics as they used the switch version for the definitive port as opposed to the ps4.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Do all versions have really bad grass and LOD pop in?

Also noticed a ton of shimmering on a lot of objects like save points in the open world.

Gezech

Oct 28, 2017
I played the intro of the new port on a 8300H / 1050 laptop. 1080p resolution, medium settings, 2x antialiasing, minor stutters and keeping reasonable temps. Night and day from the Steam version where even with the FAR mod with global illumination, the game couldn't keep a stable framerate at 900p with low settings and dangerously high temps even for a laptop (90+ °C).

Figured some people would like some input about how it runs on a low-end machine. Glad we finally got a good port for this game.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
But you can mod the steam version though, am I missing something?

And?

the version sold on Steam, out of the box does not work as it should. I payed full price, day one and square couldn't be arsed to fix the game till MS paid them too. Kaiden like durante before him is doing great work for pc games. However they shouldn't have to.

yeah the mod fixes a lot of issues, but I believe some people still have issues.

finally this is a commercial product that sold well. Just because there is a free mod doesn't excuse SE from never fixing this, or making the fixed version (so far) exclusive to a single store and expect me to buy it again.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever a Windows Store game is talked about I want to know one thing: Is it UWP or Win32?

So is this a UWP app and thus much more difficult to mod than the older Win32 version?

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
Whenever a Windows Store game is talked about I want to know one thing: Is it UWP or Win32?

So is this a UWP app and thus much more difficult to mod than the older Win32 version?

Almost all UWP games are encrypted, there's an time consuming and annoying way to decrypt it but it breaks after the game gets updated.

Honestly Its baffling why they still are doing it, some games like Halo got patched and is nowadays installed without that nonsense.

Last edited:

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
How weird. I had no issues using FAR and the game looked and played great, but it would be nice to have a non-broken version by default without having to use the Windows Store.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Bruh this is some serious bullshit.
I dunno bout yall but if they actually fixed the game for gamepass I can't see any reason they wouldn't release/update the original on steam (with the dlc needed) if there was significant outcry.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
I am so confused. Nothing in the OP to clarify... Seems there are multiple versions, MS chose one, fixed it, and now there is a PC superior version? Can someone break this down? Folks are eating crow and I don't even understand it!

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I am so confused. Nothing in the OP to clarify... Seems there are multiple versions, MS chose one, fixed it, and now there is a PC superior version? Can someone break this down? Folks are eating crow and I don't even understand it!

The Steam version of Nier: Automata has some issues (Personally I'd not use the term 'broken' but whatever)

The Xbox version of Nier: Automata, Become as Gods Edition, is the one that has been ported onto Game Pass for PC. This appears to have those issues fixed.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people are talking way too fast and claims the game is "fixed" solely because it the resolution bug is "fixed" because of the UWP format, it runs on borderless fullscreen.

From what I read here and there, the MSAA implementation still doesn't work. And I'm not sure streaming issues (which is why you're getting framepacing at times in the game) are fixed either.

Did anyone even compare the two versions as of right now ?

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
The Steam version of Nier: Automata has some issues (Personally I'd not use the term 'broken' but whatever)

The Xbox version of Nier: Automata, Become as Gods Edition, is the one that has been ported onto Game Pass for PC. This appears to have those issues fixed.

Is there any content differences?

Oct 29, 2017

"Become as Gods Edition" was the late Xbox One port the game got a while after its original PS4 release. Seems like that's the version that got ported, and it appears like this is just a completely separate port from the original release on Steam that was based on the PS4 version.

Just played through the intro and it runs really well save for there still being a 60fps cap. Hopefully something makes it possible that uncaps it (doubtful since Gamepass/UWP games have pretty stringent DRM that prevent them from getting modded typically) but it doesn't need anything else to run well.

I feel like people are talking way too fast and claims the game is "fixed" solely because it the resolution bug is "fixed" because of the UWP format, it runs on borderless fullscreen.

From what I read here and there, the MSAA implementation still doesn't work. And I'm not sure streaming issues (which is why you're getting framepacing at times in the game) are fixed either.

Yeah this definitely isn't a "definitive edition" with respect to necessary fixes. At the very least the framerate should be uncapped. IIRC that was possible with the modded version of the Steam release.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Steam version isn't the same port, so they can't update it to be the same.

It may be infeasible to properly patch the Steam version to the Become as Gods Edition, but there's nothing whatsoever preventing Squeenix from just packaging the new port as an updated version of the game's existing data depot, which Steam would push out as an "update" all on its own.

Will that happen, though? Given the Steam version has been patched only once and solely to prep the game for the release of the arena DLC, probably not.

Last edited:

Akash

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe MS did the port? I don't know but so far it's been flawless and UW works without issues LOL

You can, it's $40.
It's on the Windows Store, yeah
You can buy it to keep on the MS Store, and it will stay listed after leaving Game Pass.
Yes. There's no such thing as a Game Pass exclusive.
You can buy the game outright on the Windows Store as well, it's just included in Game Pass if you don't want to. Either way, you get access to this version.

Thanks, all. That might be the way to go for me.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020

I haven't encountered the framepacing issues I still get with the Steam version even using FAR. As for the resolution it's the same whether I use borderless or fullscreen.

Aemony

Nov 6, 2017
Microsoft Store version > Steam version.

The few things the Steam version (with mods) have over the Microsoft Store version is like:
- Global illumination adjustments through FAR mod.
- Maybe better keyboard/mouse support through the Input Overhaul Mod (NAIOM) mod.
- Unlocked FPS through FAR mod (though this wasn't recommended to begin with since it usually broke things).

Now I just want Square Enix to release this version to Steam as well, because the base experience is much improved over the Steam version.

It's Win32, so stuff can more easily be injected into it.

But you're sorta asking the wrong question -- both UWP and Win32 games on the Microsoft Store is bundled as AppX/MSIX packages, which means they are have the usual AppX limitations -- meaning sandboxed file system, unaccessible, unmodifiable game files, etc. Only games that doesn't have those AppX limitations are those that use the ModifiableWindowsApps folder, and getting access to use that folder requires additional confirmation/acceptance from Microsoft so that's probably why not more devs go for it.

It's Win32, and not UWP.

Almost no third-party games on the Microsoft Store is UWP after Microsoft added support for Win32 based games and applications back in May/June of 2019. And Win32 based games on the Microsoft Store are still able to use legacy presentation model such as BitBlt such as the Steam version of NieR: Automata did in its window mode (the Steam version lacks borderless mode).

Luckily, however, this new version does not seem to use the BitBlt presentation model and instead actually makes use of DXGI's Flip Sequential presentation model in its borderless mode, which is what developers should use if they want high-performant window modes (either that or its sibling flip discard).

And hell -- it means VRR kicks in when playing it in borderless mode even without stuff like Nvidia's G-Sync Windowed Mode" hack!

OP
OP
PS9

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Please help I don't do computer good - I'm finally starting the game and am looking to turn off MSAA but I don't see that in the options, is it called something else?