• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I have this on PC and want to ask what kind of mods I should get or changes I should make. Is FAR enough? Speaking of FAR, I remember it being likened to malware or something?

Apparently, the guy who created Far put in a blacklist to prevent certain IP's of people he dislikes to use the mod or something along those lines.
Nothing the average user got to worry about

Jun 30, 2018
i've written my own little review for fun a while ago for this game, so i thought why not post it here:

recently i've had the pleasure to be immersed in this great game, and it got me very much hooked, except a few moments here and there that ill delve more into with more details up ahead.
the story in this game very much revels in having a great narrative, and less so much in having a lore that goes to great length to expand the game's world, although you can go visit the previous nier games to get details on the past civilizations and such. and while the narrative has a great depth to it with questioning not only existentialism and meaningness that reflects upon us living breathing beings, but it's application to androids and machines. There are moments in this game that really delve deeply into the consciousness debate of AI, machines vs humans. i.e the time when you meet a pair of machines that express their biologically bonding of one another - mother and son, and then you see 9s comments that it probably only means that they are made from the same manufacture, and then as time goes on, 9s and 2b are more inclined to believe of the prevalence of consciousness in machines. The combat doesn't have the amount of combos orders that you can find in other games of the same type like ninja gaiden or bayonetta, and it is more simplistic, which is a little bit of a drawback as someone that appreciates very much combo series of attacks in hack n slash games. But there are other areas at least the combat compensates for it, as you can see with 9s segments and combat, where he can hack and remote control machines, which can result in great oily splashes (instead of blood :)) of battles. Actually, in a matter of fact no, there is not any oil dripping involved by the machines' death, but you still get the point :)
the way the difficulty scales in this game, doesn't make the game's AI gradually more sophisticated, or is in the vein of making the enemies dodge more, or change their attack pattern of light attack and special other ones to make it harder. But rather the difficulty's scallibility wears it more like a hitting sponge regarding It's health pool, by letting the enemies deal more damage, meaning that only their strength paramaters are changed, not behavioral. The music in this game is very beautiful, awe inspiring and unique. It has some really emotional tones, and other sounding more epic.

To sum things up, I very much recommend this to anyone that is looking for a deep narrative focused game, with competent combat to back it up, good characters interactions between 2b 'the stoic' type, and 9s the playful guy and other different characters. a score of 8.3 from me.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I have this on PC and want to ask what kind of mods I should get or changes I should make. Is FAR enough? Speaking of FAR, I remember it being likened to malware or something?

I use;
  • FAR.
  • HD Texture pack. (I linked it previously, these are 4K textures so make sure you have enough VRAM.)
  • ReShade (Working on my own)
  • DS4 Button Swap
Pretty good guide to read through here.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=914437196

Considering FAR/Special-K is open-source to a degree, with the source code being on GitLab, you'd have a real hard time convincing anyone with half a brain that it's """""malware.""""" What pisses a minority of people off if that the guy doesn't support pirate versions, and FAR does have a Denuvo checker to make sure your copy is legit.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Congratulations Nier Automata Community! You're the new community spotlight! What perfect timing with the Xbox release, now there's even More fans!

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
tumblr_ovss9b04zk1seg3hdo1_400.gif

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this the community spotlight

now everyone will see that we're all horrible pervs who like robo butts, and also crying about sad things

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Currently watching Woolie and Liam play through, makes me want to jump back in cause they're seeing things I passed over. The game that keeps on giving.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Heads up for the new players: it took me 3 days after finishing the game to go from "it was alright" to "it's a fucking masterpiece".

Couldn't explain why tho.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in Route B now just after meeting Pascal for the first time. And I've noticed lots of additional cut scenes now playing before certain story segments that didn't exist in Route A.

I wasn't going to mention anything until I saw this particular scene:
Adam and Eve hanging out at a long table, with Eve eating an apple and complaining about having to wear underwear, and Adam explaining that's what humans do.

My question is: does the game explain why you're seeing this scene? Like, is 9S clued into it in some kind of way, or is this something for just you the viewer at home playing the game?

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Just finished ending E on the Xbox One.

It's a fine game, one of the better ones I've played, but I guess it didn't fully connect for me because I'm not sure I get the unanimous sky-high praise for its brilliance?

Maybe I'll come to appreciate it way more over time.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
So my install isn't finished yet and it is telling me I will lose my save if I choose to proceed. Is this a joke or will I have to redo that first level again if I continue before my install completes?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm in Route B now just after meeting Pascal for the first time. And I've noticed lots of additional cut scenes now playing before certain story segments that didn't exist in Route A.

I wasn't going to mention anything until I saw this particular scene:
Adam and Eve hanging out at a long table, with Eve eating an apple and complaining about having to wear underwear, and Adam explaining that's what humans do.

My question is: does the game explain why you're seeing this scene? Like, is 9S clued into it in some kind of way, or is this something for just you the viewer at home playing the game?

Although these extra bits appear in 9S's route (and some are narrated by 9S), they're for the player. That said, an explanation for how 9S would know is provided.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
I've been waitiing for this game for a long time and when it was finally announced for Xbox I preorder it. Two days before the release I decided to try Fallout New Vegas while I waited for Nier's release as it was in my backlog. That was not a good decision because New Vegas hooked me like few games can. Unless I'm able to break the spell, Nier will have to wait.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
So I just beat Route A, without spoilers, anything I should know going further into the game? I missed a bunch of sidequests (since they are boring) some tips would be appreciated as well

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I just beat Route A, without spoilers, anything I should know going further into the game? I missed a bunch of sidequests (since they are boring) some tips would be appreciated as well

You can blow through Route B in a few hours if you're not enjoying the repetition. C/D/E is all new material and worth it.

Also, the lock-on button has a function in hacking sequences, spears are really powerful, and there's a difference between tapping and holding the attack button. There are additional attack and traversal inputs that you may not be aware of (check a moves list).

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will always defend Route B. I love the conceit of analyzing the same events from a different perspective to reveal new information that creates a new storyline and provides its own revelations. I think it's brilliant.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
finally have time to complete the game, let's say I'm not a fan of shoot 'em up/hacking gameplay, they are too repetitive and easy, they should have either toned it down or made it bullet hell instead.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I will always defend Route B. I love the conceit of analyzing the same events from a different perspective to reveal new information that creates a new storyline and provides its own revelations. I think it's brilliant.

You and me both.

Ending A I was like "I love this game"
B = I LOVE this game
CDE = I LOVE THIS GAME.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Who knows if it was intended, but the structure of the game going from B to C was an amazing surprise / subversion of the first Nier

The game pretends to be doing largely the same things as the first nier and you think "ha Taro i know your tricks my dude"
Route C starts, moonbase explodes, Titlecard, THE REAL NIER BEGINS HERE SHITLORD

I guess that's simply something that's lost on people that never played the first one.

3rdman

May 25, 2018
SunhiLgend posted this on tweet and I must know where that outfit is come from and how.

Personally I am not a fan of that mod but I couldn't put my finger on why and then it just dawned on me...It goes against the developer's design in terms of color.

All of the Androids are in simple black and white outfits...in the Bunker, this aesthetic extends to literally everything around you. The machines, on the other hand, are in earth tones...I suppose its way of expressing their differences and certainly making some reference to their natures.

If the Androids and humans no longer live on Earth, are they worthy of inhabiting it? The machines have clearly evolved and have a far deeper connection to their world than those that visit it to destroy them.

Anyways, yeah...I don't like that color dress. :P

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess that's simply something that's lost on people that never played the first one.
So much is lost on people who didn't play the first one. I don't agree that it's a standalone game, I see it as a direct sequel. You can play it without playing Nier first, but you get so much more out of it when you have that experience of the first one.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So much is lost on people who didn't play the first one. I don't agree that it's a standalone game, I see it as a direct sequel. You can play it without playing Nier first, but you get so much more out of it when you have that experience of the first one.
The problem is getting people to play it. I'm going through it now post-beating Automata, and it's a bit of a chore, to say the least.

I personally just watched the Clemps summary of the first game, and felt like I get everything Automata was trying to tell me.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem is getting people to play it. I'm going through it now post-beating Automata, and it's a bit of a chore, to say the least.

I personally just watched the Clemps summary of the first game, and felt like I get everything Automata was trying to tell me.
Aw man but you're missing so much. Clemps's videos are good but he doesn't do the game justice. But you either love it or hate it in my experience. The first Nier is my favorite game of all time, I prefer it to Automata. I replayed it after and it has still held up so well.

You miss a lot just watching the cutscenes on YouTube too. A lot of the story is told through the incidental dialogue running from place to place.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So I can't find the soundtrack on Apple Music, Spotify or iTunes. This is baffling, is it on anything?

Edit: Looks like it's just not available anywhere in Australia, nice.

DeepChord

Jan 21, 2018
Finished the game on PS4 Pro but thinking about buying it for my newly built PC.
How much of an visual upgrade would that be? I have an i7 8700k, GTX 1070 TI, 16GB Ram.

NEE HEE HEE

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So..... when's the next Nier/Drakengard coming out?

Seems to me that most of the hate stems from the gameplay, which consists of a lot of hacking. I didn't hate the hacking, and I absolutely enjoyed Route B as well. The 8-Bit music change was great as well.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

Nah. NieR 1 is absolutely a game that requires your agency in order for its weighty moments to land. To be frank, the fact that that summary managed to feel like a competent replacement for playing the game proves just the opposite, IMO.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
So I started path B and I actually explored the desert unlike my 1st playthrough and I found an extra pod, I know you can upgrade them, but don't have the parts, do you just upgrade the one you like? or is there any difference between them.

Also should I be scanning every single time I am walking? or just some specific places? I did find some weapons when playing as 2B...

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
One of the best games of this generation and request my fellow Xbox brethrens to buy and fully support this game. Game is not perfect but trust me there is nothing like this in market.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
So I started path B and I actually explored the desert unlike my 1st playthrough and I found an extra pod, I know you can upgrade them, but don't have the parts, do you just upgrade the one you like? or is there any difference between them.
You should upgrade the one you use the most. They start to do neat stuff when you level them up (though by the point you get the materials, you're probably so powerful that enemies don't last long enough for the new effects to really be useful).

Also should I be scanning every single time I am walking? or just some specific places? I did find some weapons when playing as 2B...
Don't bother. IIRC, there's just those two weapons. Everything else you can find is just generic materials.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watching my brother play through his first play through ever, after a year of convincing him. This game truly one of the best games ever made, persona 5 was my gory last year, but with time this game has really made its mark on me. In a way that no other game has. The soundtrack really adds to that too.... everything was just done so perfectly!

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Does the game difficulty ramp up? I'm still early ( just past the E3 2016 boss on Route A) but it's been super easy so far, playing on Normal. I avoided Hard because I've seen lots of complaints of one hit kills.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Does the game difficulty ramp up? I'm still early ( just past the E3 2016 boss on Route A) but it's been super easy so far, playing on Normal. I avoided Hard because I've seen lots of complaints of one hit kills.

Not really, the balancing of the game is one of its biggest flaws.
Normal will always remain too easy, but hard is already too hard compared to Normal-
There really should've been a difficulty between the two.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, the balancing of the game is one of its biggest flaws.
Normal will always remain too easy, but hard is already too hard compared to Normal-
There really should've been a difficulty between the two.

Hmm, that's a shame. I really would love something just a bit more challenging. Especially because the RPG systems seem really interesting and well thought out. But OHKO just isn't fun for me.