• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

(Click for general game info.)

🖥️ System requirements:
nierautomatasysreqsidl1m.jpg

🧰 Latest drivers: (as at 24/02/2022)
AMD: 22.2.2
Nvidia: 511.79

📊 Benchmarks:
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)
PC Games Hardware (German; launch build)

🎩 Tips and tricks:
Cap the frame rate/potentially improve frame times: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server (if you use MSI Afterburner, then you already have it installed), input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit Enter . Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU can either cap the frame rate at the driver level via the Nvidia Control Panel (requires the 441.87+ drivers) or use Nvidia Inspector to force a vsync internal lower than one-half (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frame times. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower frame rate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Run the game in a borderless window: Use the aptly-named Borderless Gaming program. See here for a usage guide.
Note: You can purchase the program on Steam for USD$4 or your regional equivalent if you're feeling charitable.
Run the game in the actual nominated resolution (1): Run the game in a borderless window (see above) rather than fullscreen. (Credit to Grief.exe @ NeoGAF.)
Run the game in the actual nominated resolution (2), fix cutscene stutter, and a few other things: Use Fix Automata Resolution. (Credit to Kaldaien @ Steam Community via didamangi @NeoGAF.) If you'd like to use it in conjunction with ReShade, rename ReShade's dxgi.dll file to ReShade64.dll. (Credit to Robobandit @ NeoGAF.) Disabling RTSS, if you're using it, is recommended as it may cause issues. (Credit to Kaldaien @ Steam Community via DrDaxxy @ NeoGAF.)
Note: Using FAR will also allow you to improve GPU performance as well as increase the quality of the bloom light and ambient occlusion. See the relevant sections further down.
Use a less expensive form of anti-aliasing: The ambient occlusion setting also controls some form of post-process anti-aliasing. (Credit to ezodagrom @ NeoGAF.) Alternatively, if you'd like to set the option to "Off" but still have cheaper anti-aliasing, you can force FXAA/SMAA externally via ReShade or the aptly-named injectSMAA. (Credit to Echoplx @ NeoGAF.)
Enable SLI support: Using Nvidia Inspector, create a new profile for the game and set "SLI compatibility bits (DX10 + DX11)" to 0x080002F5. (Credit to feel @ NeoGAF and Kvik @ NeoGAF.)
Mitigate LOD pop-in (for those playing with both anti-aliasing and ambient occlusion enabled): Disable anti-aliasing (MSAA). Running it and ambient occlusion in tandem results in far more abrupt transitions, and again having ambient occlusion enabled also means some form of post-process anti-aliasing is in effect. (Credit to Durante @ NeoGAF.)
Use DualShock 4 button prompts: Download this file and follow the instructions. (Credit to Erewego @ PC Gaming Wiki via KainVIIII @ NeoGAF.)
Significantly improve GPU performance by adjusting global illumination quality: Download/Update Fix Automata Resolution and lower the global illumination quality via the in-game control panel (CTRL-Shift-Backspace). Remember to disable RTSS (if applicable) to ensure best interoperability. (Credit to Kaldaien @ Steam Community via Rayge @ NeoGAF, Kiru @ NeoGAF and DrDaxxy @ NeoGAF.)
Increase bloom lighting resolution: Download/Update Fix Automata Resolution, bring up the in-game control panel (CTRL-Shift-Backspace), and select "Native Bloom res." under "Bloom". Requires a restart of the game to take effect, and remember to disable RTSS (if applicable) to ensure best interoperability. (Credit to Kaladaien @ Steam Community and Durante @ NeoGAF via la_briola @ NeoGAF.)
Increase the frame rate cap: Download/Update Fix Automata Resolution, bring up the in-game control panel (CTRL-Shift-Backspace), click "Remove 60fps cap" and input your desired framerate under "Framerate Limiter". Remember to disable RTSS (if applicable) to ensure best interoperability. (Credit to Kaldaien @ Steam Community, Altimor and Francesco149.)
Note: If you're using a 60Hz display, you'll need to override your refresh rate in [install directory]\dxgi.ini.
Increase ambient occlusion quality: Download/Update Fix Automata Resolution, opt into the testing branch after installation by selecting it from the drop-down list and clicking "Migrate", bring up the in-game control panel (CTRL-Shift-Backspace), and select "Native AO res." under "Ambient Occlusion". Remember to disable RTSS (if applicable) to ensure best interoperability. (Credit to Kaldaien @ Steam Community and Durante @ NeoGAF.)
Enable free-form camera: Load this table into Cheat Engine. (Credit to IDK31 @ Steam Community via TLCO @ NeoGAF.)
Note: Be sure to close Cheat Engine once you're done as it may trigger a false-positive in VAC-protected games.
This doesn't work with the current version of the game. To roll back to the previous build, follow these instructions.

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to tag my username (@GrrImAFridge), as this way I'll receive a notification. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

⚙️ Graphics settings:

Screen brightness: Self-explanatory
Resolution: Self-explanatory (note: this mark's Platinum's first release with proper arbitrary resolution support, however cutscenes currently present black bars outside of 1080p)
Screen mode: Full screen; Window
V-sync: Off/On (double-buffer?)
Graphics presets: Low; Medium; High; Custom
Anti-aliasing (MSAA): Off; 2x; 4x; 8x
Texture filter: Off; 2x; 4x; 8x; 16x

Blur: Off/On
Shadows: Low; Medium; High
Effects: Low/High
Ambient occlusion: Off/On (note: also controls some form of post-process anti-aliasing)

Last edited:

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking of getting this game in the Steam sale, so thanks for all the helpful advice and insight dude. Awesome thread.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought this for PC too.

It was running fine except for that it dropped a ton of frames when audio was loading in and the mouse cursor would appear in the middle of the screen whenever I moved. I installed FAR and now I get a black screen, with sound still, after the Square and Platinum logos.

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
So if we have the option to go PS4 or PC with this game regardless of price what is the best way to experience it ?

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 pro is the best way to experience it since this game stutters and drops frames regardless of rig or fix.

Sorry but that's just not true. If you got the hardware for it it's objectively better.

I completed the game at launch even before FAR came out and didn't have any stutter or FPS drop.

i have a 7700K + GTX 1070 but no PS4 Pro unfortunately.

Go PC then. You'll get much better results then on the pro.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
You'll have an infinitely better experience on PC with FAR then you would on console.
Yeah, I'll echo that.

The only real problem I have with the FAR mod is that there are some pretty noticeable hitches when loading in the environment, which happens pretty frequently since I'm running at all times.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I said it before and I'll say it again, PS4 pro is the best way to experience it since this game stutters and drops frames regardless of rig or fix.
The pro stutters and drops far more than the PC version.

Pun intended.

I completed the game at launch even before FAR came out and didn't have any stutter or FPS drop.

This isn't true either. All versions stutter to some degree or another. But yes, less than the consoles.

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but that's just not true. If you got the hardware for it it's objectively better.

Without far? I don't believe you. With far and a beefy rig at 1440p and GI dropped down and the fps set at 60, the amount of frame stuttering is ridiculous.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Without far? I don't believe you. With far and a beefy rig at 1440p and GI dropped down and the fps set at 60, the amount of frame stuttering is ridiculous.

Belive what you want. I completed the game 100% 2 days before FAR came out and the only problems I had with it was the resolution thing which is pretty much exclusive to everyone. I5 3570k @ 4.8 ghz and a gtx 980 ti.

If there was was a minor degree or stuttering or framerate dropping under 60 for a few seconds I didn't notice it to the point where it bothred me enough to care.

Even if happens it's not as bad as on both PS4 consoles. The frame times are also pretty terrible on the pro. You cannot say it's better then the PC one if you got the hardware to back it up even tho the port is not particularly good.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Eh, I was on an i7-6700k + 1080 setup (@ 3440x1440) when I first played through Nier. With their AA solution disabled, I still got drops to around 50fps or so in the open world areas. Specifically, when around the city. Say, when at the main resistance camp and panning the camera around where the city center would be. It wasn't enough to be annoying, but it was noticeable. And that was on my GPU, which was objectively more powerful than your 980Ti.

That being said, that was also the only time I recall getting any drops. I now have a 1080Ti and haven't tried it without FAR. I don't personally see any reason to experiment when FAR provides us the proper experience.

I would certainly assume that anyone who had a GPU with performance below a 1080 assuredly got framerate drops without FAR amendments, assuming all settings maxed (with the exception of the AA or whatever that setting was that tanked framerates).

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
Good timing on the thread as I've just started playing.

Got the latest FAR set-up and running OK with no noticable dips, but I'll report any problems if I come across any.

Ps- [email protected] + OC'd 1070.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Eh, I was on an i7-6700k + 1080 setup (@ 3440x1440) when I first played through Nier. With their AA solution disabled, I still got drops to around 50fps or so in the open world areas. Specifically, when around the city. Say, when at the main resistance camp and panning the camera around where the city center would be. It wasn't enough to be annoying, but it was noticeable. And that was on my GPU, which was objectively more powerful than your 980Ti.

That being said, that was also the only time I recall getting any drops. I now have a 1080Ti and haven't tried it without FAR. I don't personally see any reason to experiment when FAR provides us the proper experience.

I would certainly assume that anyone who had a GPU with performance below a 1080 assuredly got framerate drops without FAR amendments, assuming all settings maxed (with the exception of the AA or whatever that setting was that tanked framerates).

True but dropping GI to high instead of the default ultra with a minimum light extend of 15% gave me a huge FPS boost without any noticeable difference back when played it on a gtx 970.

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a comparison of what changing the GI setting does? Starting my playthrough soon. Very excited!

Nov 3, 2017
Finally jumping back into Nier after a long hiatus (all the GOTY talk has moved it to the top of my backlog list).

Will be playing on a 3 year old gaming laptop with a gtx860. Downloaded FAR and will drop Global Illumination. Any other easy tweaks I should implement to improve performance before I start?

Thanks

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
I somehow can't get FAR to work properly, sadly. I get a black screen after the initial loading screen of the game when FAR is turned on.

Very disappointed in the performance of the game, especially when considering the assets are not that high end to begin with. I have to play on 1440p instead of 4K if I want to use AA and AO while staying above 60 fps at all times. Considering I use a 1080 Ti that is very disappointing. It's more than playable, but looks a bit fuzzy and grainy at all times. I love the game however, and would love to see it looking crisp and clean at 4K on my oled.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
I somehow can't get FAR to work properly, sadly. I get a black screen after the initial loading screen of the game when FAR is turned on.

Very disappointed in the performance of the game, especially when considering the assets are not that high end to begin with. I have to play on 1440p instead of 4K if I want to use AA and AO while staying above 60 fps at all times. Considering I use a 1080 Ti that is very disappointing. It's more than playable, but looks a bit fuzzy and grainy at all times. I love the game however, and would love to see it looking crisp and clean at 4K on my oled.
One thing you can do right now is to turn off AA completely because the AO option already has some post-processed AA. See if it helps with installing FAR and performance.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
I just bought this for PC too.

It was running fine except for that it dropped a ton of frames when audio was loading in and the mouse cursor would appear in the middle of the screen whenever I moved. I installed FAR and now I get a black screen, with sound still, after the Square and Platinum logos.

You seem to have the exact same issue with FAR as I do Mega Man Zero, did you ever fix the issue?

One thing you can do right now is to turn off AA completely because the AO option already has some post-processed AA. See if it helps with installing FAR and performance.

Thanks for the tip. I've already tried that after failing to get FAR to work, but on 2160p with AA turned off I'd still get fps drops into the 50s range. With the other settings on high or on. Turning on vsync with that performance dioes not feel good at all. And on the other hand turning off vsync in this game gives me screen tearing all the time.
On 1440p I can leave vsync, AA and AO on and the gameplay feels smooth all the time, seemingly never dipping below 60 fps. The game does look very fuzzy with those settings, unfortunately.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You seem to have the exact same issue with FAR as I do Mega Man Zero, did you ever fix the issue?

Thanks for the tip. I've already tried that after failing to get FAR to work, but on 2160p with AA turned off I'd still get fps drops into the 50s range. With the other settings on high or on. Turning on vsync with that performance dioes not feel good at all. And on the other hand turning off vsync in this game gives me screen tearing all the time.
On 1440p I can leave vsync, AA and AO on and the gameplay feels smooth all the time, seemingly never dipping below 60 fps. The game does look very fuzzy with those settings, unfortunately.
That performance for a 1080Ti seems weird.
Take a look at https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=914437196

Also, don't enable AA and AO at the same time.

• Disable the Anti-Aliasing setting
    as that one is extremely taxing on most hardware.
    • Ambient Occlusion includes a separate post-processing anti-aliasing pass (SMAA) which is much less taxing, so enable that one instead if you want to minimize the jaggies.
    • Don't enable AA and AO simultaneously, as that introduced LOD popping.

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
Reading tthe FAR steam group thread, Kaliden put's down most problems getting FAR to work to incompatiblities with other third party video overlays like Fraps and RSS. Maybe worth if you're running stuff like turning it off and see if that works for you.

Also the ingame AA causes the pop in issue to be even more noticable than without.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Don't use MSAA in the game, it has very poor results, it is very heavy (like in most games with deferred renderers).

As others have noted it makes pop in a lot worse.

Otherwise I'll definitely say your performance is a bit weird, on a 1080 I get frame rates in the 50s at 4K

Danj

Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, UK
I installed FAR but I still get a weird problem where the graphics freeze a few minutes into the game. The rest of the game seems like it's still running because I can hear sounds, and pressing buttons produces audible reactions, but the graphics are completely frozen. And because there's no autosave this means I can't make it past the beginning of the game.

Anyone have any tips?

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
I installed FAR but I still get a weird problem where the graphics freeze a few minutes into the game. The rest of the game seems like it's still running because I can hear sounds, and pressing buttons produces audible reactions, but the graphics are completely frozen. And because there's no autosave this means I can't make it past the beginning of the game.

Anyone have any tips?
All I can suggest is, are you using the latest drivers?

Because that sounds a lot like a bug if it's happening at the same spot for you, and unfortunately Square just dumped Nier on Steam with no support what so ever.

Danj

Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, UK
All I can suggest is, are you using the latest drivers?

Because that sounds a lot like a bug if it's happening at the same spot for you, and unfortunately Square just dumped Nier on Steam with no support what so ever.

I've got 390.65 which was released 8th Jan 2018, I've also tried the CPU core affinity thing, I've tried Alt+Enter, I've tried using "Optimize" in Geforce Experience.

And yeah... it's not at precisely the same spot but roughly so. It usually happens shortly before or after meeting 9S for the first time.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I finished the game a few months ago, using FAR and disabling some threads on my i7 to avoid crashing.
The game crashed maybe 15-20 times during my ending A-E playthrough, and I don't know if it was a problem with FAR (I remember using the newest version made the game crash when launched, so I used an old one), or the game itself.

I'm interested in replaying it in the future, it's the game still unstable?

Jan 2, 2018
I didn't play the game when it came out hoping for an official patch to solve at least some of the reported issues but it's been almost a year...shame on you Platinum/Square.
Well,on the bright side,I did managed to buy the first Nier cheap this week-after looking for it back when Automata released only to find that it was pretty rare and expensive on ps3. thank god square reprinted some extra copies for a much lower price. now I can play them chronologically.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game a few months ago, using FAR and disabling some threads on my i7 to avoid crashing.
The game crashed maybe 15-20 times during my ending A-E playthrough, and I don't know if it was a problem with FAR (I remember using the newest version made the game crash when launched, so I used an old one), or the game itself.

There has been no updates to the game.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's has only been one update to fix an issue with certain GPUs. Aside from that there haven't been any other technical or performance based updates.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
There's has only been one update to fix an issue with certain GPUs. Aside from that there haven't been any other technical or performance based updates.
There has been no updates to the game.
Thanks!
It's a little bit sad that the game hasn't recieve any post-launch patch to fix the issues.
I remember being really frustrated every time the game crashed, specially when losing "long" play sessions because the game don't let you save whenever you want.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I finally decided to get around to playing this!

And I can't enter my name when starting a new game. Won't recognize keyboard inputs (except for Enter and Escape). Anyone else had this issue? For the record I am using FAR.

E: never mind, restarted and it works for some reason...

E2: Got to the city, game's running great so far with the FAR tweaks from the OP! Fingers crossed it stays that way ^^

Last edited:

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks!
It's a little bit sad that the game hasn't recieve any post-launch patch to fix the issues.
I remember being really frustrated every time the game crashed, specially when losing "long" play sessions because the game don't let you save whenever you want.

definitely sad. i'll have to remember to buy this direct from steam instead of a key from some other retailer so i can refund it if i run into issues. it looks like there will never be a patch.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Forget about the patch, it's never happening.
God awful support from S-E/Platinum.

Danj

Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, UK
It's actually worse than that: the patch was just DLC prep. Driver updates fixed the GPU-specific issues.

Is there an equivalent driver update to fix the nVidia GPU specific issue? Because that's the one I have and installing the latest drivers has not helped me. I have also tried verifying the integrity of game files as Square Enix have suggested but unsurprisingly that did nothing also.

My graphics are freezing a few minutes in, it varies exactly when but it is always either shortly before or shortly after meeting 9S for the first time.

EDIT: so I've had responses from both Square Enix support and nVidia support. The responses from Squenix have been mostly useless, the responses from nVidia have been asking for specific pieces of information which is encouraging. nVidia claimed to have fixed this issue back in June but have recently received a couple of reports of it happening again so are reopening the bug.

There is a folder C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\Watchdog which it seems is where nVidia driver crash dumps are stored, also check in Event Viewer in the Application log for Windows Error Reporting events mentioning LiveKernelEvent (the timestamp should be roughly the same as when your game froze).

They also asked what happens if you power off your monitor and then power it back on again (for me nothing happened, I still saw the same frozen screen) and what happens if you alt-tab out and then back in again (for me the game changes to a smaller, white window).

They will want your msinfo32 information and probably also your dxdiag information so include those as well, and you can then email all this information to [email protected] quoting reference NVCC 170320-000326.

Interestingly, the time between starting the game and it freezing has been slowly increasing, I actually got a little bit further in before it did it this time.

EDIT 2: So in my case, the problem appears to be the HDMI switch box that I have in between my PC and my monitor. With the PC connected directly to the monitor, I did not get any freezes so far. When I reconnected the HDMI switch box and loaded my save game (which I actually have one of now, thank goodness) it wasn't long until I got a crash. JaseC is this worth including in the troubleshooting guide? E.g. if your display connection goes through another device such as a switch box or HDMI receiver before getting to your monitor, try connecting it directly and see if that resolves the issue.

I'm hopeful that nVidia are going to fix the issue in their driver because I don't fancy having to fiddle with my HDMI connections every time I want to play NieR, but at least it seems like it will let me play the game rather than just watching someone else's Let's Play on Youtube.

EDIT 3: nVidia QA just successfully reproduced my NieR Automata issue, so they are hoping to be able to fix it in an upcoming driver release.

Last edited:

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
is there a fix for the open world stutter? its hitching here and there, feels like it happens when going in other part of the map.
i use latest farmod, playing @ 4k 50hz vsync with a 1080ti.

Last edited:

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
annoying. I cannot wait to play the game. Just sitting here waiting for them to update this..

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
lol, i deinstalled farmod, because i never tested the game without it (bought the game yesterday)....fun fact...it runs buttery smooth now, not a single hiccup in 4 hours. playing at 3200*1800 @ max settings (except AA off) and 60fps locked.

Tonton

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else got constant freezes in the "soul box" or whatever in route C I literally can't progress past it in the game because it'll always happen at some point there
Using FAR, I3-6100, gtx 750 ti

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super old thread... But I finally got around installing the unpatched version of the game, something I asked JaseC about ages ago and it runs like a "dream" (definitely better than on base PS4) but partly probably because it seems to run at 900p...?

I can't figure it out, ingame settings say 1080p, FAR says 1080p (as far I can tell)

I only know because Shadow play records it in 900p and that's set to record in "ingame resolution" and the game does look a bit more blurry than I'd like.

What am I missing, some settings in FAR maybe? I know Shadow play should record this normally at 1080p too, because I already made some recordings of the game previously.

It's especially weird because I thought FAR is supposed to fix exactly that, hence the name...

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So obviously I had to change the bloom from the default to the FAR option...

Game is running at 1080p now at what seems to be 60fps there are very few framedrops but nothing regularly like on the PS4 version... and the patched version of on PC, strangely?

There's still some weird camera shaking sometimes, something that's also present on the PS4 version but not as bad as on PC iirc.
Haven't seen a cutscene yet, so I can't say if those are at 60fps now...

Well, huh, this port is curious, at least FAR seems to fix most issues indeed.

Also I have the lighting option on default (ultra) not sure if that's working as intended, the game runs way better than it should imo, on a 1050ti...

Not sure what all the fuss was about tbh, the game also did run just fine at 900p, even though it admittedly looked quite blurry, hah.

PS: I most definitely can't run the game when I OC my gpu, it crashes randomly every 30 minutes or so, cpu OC is fine though. I guess that's rivatuner that makes it crash?

Last edited:

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
So obviously I had to change the bloom from the default to the FAR option...

Game is running at 1080p now at what seems to be 60fps there are very few framedrops but nothing regularly like on the PS4 version... and the patched version of on PC, strangely?

There's still some weird camera shaking sometimes, something that's also present on the PS4 version but not as bad as on PC iirc.
Haven't seen a cutscene yet, so I can't say if those are at 60fps now...

Well, huh, this port is curious, at least FAR seems to fix most issues indeed.

Also I have the lighting option on default (ultra) not sure if that's working as intended, the game runs way better than it should imo, on a 1050ti...

Not sure what all the fuss was about tbh, the game also did run just fine at 900p, even though it admittedly looked quite blurry, hah.
Depends on your hardware and expectations I guess.

I actually loaded it up again not long back without the patch, and it ran alright at 900p. But it did drop down to 30-40 in some sections of the map, and it really should not have at that resolution. After installing FAR 4k actually worked, and I was getting better performance than I did at the resolution lock before installing the patch.