• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I still can't believe this game became such a success story lol

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy. I'm delighted that it's sold so well (it's a brilliant game) but like... Square-Enix don't assume that Yoko Taro's next game is gonna do these numbers lol

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
When I played this game for the first time earlier this year (as a huge fan of the original), I realized they basically had the same strengths and weaknesses, but Automata was just a lot more polished.

Automata is definitely a flawed game, and it's not "for everyone". I noticed that very clearly when playing it, and understood some of the criticisms I'd been hearing in the two years before I got to playing it. I can see plenty of reasons why people wouldn't enjoy it.

But the first NieR taught me something very important about my gaming tastes: it's not always about what's the "least flawed" or most polished. I have played "better" games, but they're just not as INTERESTING or speak to me the same way these games do, I don't think there is a game that has occupied my brainspace more except maybe the first Dark Souls. Sometimes the flawed but interesting game is more worthwhile.

I'd easily consider Gestalt and Automata to be in the top 5 best games Square has ever published, I honestly prefer them over any Final Fantasy, Chrono, Xeno, etc. Those games are good, some are even great, but they don't speak to me the way NieR does.

I haven't really cared for any JRPG story in the last decade and generally have low expectations for the writing whenever I boot one up...except for Yoko Taro games. Despite its flaws Automata was always at least somewhat interesting and at its best is one of the best and most unique gaming experiences I have ever had. Even Drakengard 3 which is probably his weakest recent project was still interesting enough that I don't regret playing it, and it's certainly more memorable than many other games I have played, for both good and bad reasons.

I have always believed that Yoko, despite being billed as a "niche" director, could have made it big if he was given more resources. I'm glad to see that I was right. It's still insane to me that this game has gotten as big as it has. 5 years ago, Yoko only had a small cult following thanks to the first NieR, now everyone knows who he is.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
It can if the game is as good.
Don't get me wrong, I really hope they hire Platinum back and give the next title a big budget but still give Taro free rein somehow.

(honestly I'd really really love to see a Drakengard 4 that wholesale adopts most of the combat and systems from Scalebound lol, even though the Nier games are dearer to my heart)

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
As a fan of his for more than a decade, Yoko Taro is a genius. I hope success doesn't make SE try and turn his visionary creativeness into a factory

He doesnt want to make the same game again

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
How many millions until a PC patch? How much roughly would it take to patch the game?
I feel like if Square was going to do it they already would have.

As happy as I am that they funded this game, I'm never going to forgive Square for that shoddy port (and this is coming from someone who was able to run it with 0 issues).

OP
OP
ULTROS!

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Platinum Games should definitely make Parasite Eve. I bet that will sell a lot too.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dope game and experience. Tied with BOTW for my personal GOTY in 2017.

But y'all don't care about that. Hope something new similar to it gets announced next year.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Platinum Games should definitely make Parasite Eve. I bet that will sell a lot too.

The problem with Parasite Eve is that they had an amazing formula with the first game but then ditched it for no reason.

PE doesn't need Platinum, it needs to go back to what made the first game so good.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite games last year. I would've never expected to do well, but glad it did. I'll be there Day 1 when the next NieR drops.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a crazy (and heartwarming) success story. If you told me like 5 years ago that they'd make a sequel to Nier of all things and tht the game would go on to sell over 4 million units I would've called you insane. Yet here we are.
Beautiful.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
My first guess is a remake of Replicant for the 10th anniversary.

Unfortunately I don't think the logistics line up, or at least not for Platinum to be working on it.
The reason I ask is because Square Enix was hiring for a NieR-related project a couple of years ago. So doesn't seem like Platinum will be involved, but hoping we might hear something regardless.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Squeenix loves remastering.stuff. Please remaster the original Nier so that I can actually play it on PC!