• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I played it a couple months ago and hated every minute of it. I wish I could get my $40 back.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! Still pick up and play a few hours here and there once a week/every couple weeks, and have done pretty much since release, love the game.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy. I'm delighted that it's sold so well (it's a brilliant game) but like... Square-Enix don't assume that Yoko Taro's next game is gonna do these numbers lol

If he re-teams with PG (or another respected studio) and it's a good game? Why not? They're gonna be saying it's from Automata's director at every opportunity regardless of who makes it.

Ketaya

Oct 25, 2017
Berlin
The reason I ask is because Square Enix was hiring for a NieR-related project a couple of years ago. So doesn't seem like Platinum will be involved, but hoping we might hear something regardless.
If I'm not completely misremembering they were just hiring for scenario writers and planners to support Yoko Taro since he can't handle all the stories in the actual games plus all the collaborations he's involved in now on his own.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
If he re-teams with PG (or another respected studio) and it's a good game? Why not? They're gonna be saying it's from Automata's director at every opportunity regardless of who makes it.

SE is even getting Yoko Taro to make a series of Automata 24-man dungeons in their MMO. They defo think he has the Midas touch now lol.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
SE is even getting Yoko Taro to make a series of Automata 24-man dungeons in their MMO. They defo think he has the Midas touch now lol.
What's funny is that to get Automata greenlit, Yosuke Saito had to threaten Square-Enix by saying he would quit if they wouldn't let Yoko Taro make another game.

Last edited:

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
It feels so satisfying seeing this success as one of the dozen NieR fans back in 2010.

Oct 25, 2017
The game did another 500k in the last 5 months? Damn those are some incredible thighs legs.

I don't know about Switch sales but Bayonetta 1 and 2 didn't really do well when they were originally released.

Bayonetta was at 1,5 million in 2010. With the added PC, Wii U en Switch sales added on top, it should have sold a fair bit. Probably not 4 million though.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Great to see it selling well, i bought the XB1 version day-one and it's definitely one of my favourite games of that year. Can't wait to see what the future holds for the franchise :D

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
It might not be your cup of tea, but this game is probably the most original game of this generation.

It is a masterclass of sinergy between story, gameplay and soundtrack.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just platinumed this game probably the best game ive ever played tbh no i wont get a tattooo :p got enough of those haha. Glad it sold so well hopefully it peaks at 5m as that seems like a nice milestone number it should be possible!

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
My dream game would be the first NieR remade with Platinum's expertise on combat. It already has the GOAT soundtrack and story, just subpar combat system.

I really hope they will eventually make it happen, since Automata is performing this well!

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Time to remake the original masterpiece and let the millions know one of the greatest stories in gaming!

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
I've never understood the fixation some people have on remakes. It's understandable when we're talking about an old game or of previous generation which there would really be enough space to work on a remaster, but a 2 year old game like Automata, and people mention "Oh please bring me a remaster", like WTF, how about a new title? Why should funds go to the remaster of a 2 freaking years old game when it can be put into making a brand new Nier title. I've always read posts that ask for remasters of 2-3 year old games of the current generation that it makes me angry.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I've never understood the fixation some people have on remakes. It's understandable when we're talking about an old game or of previous generation which there would really be enough space to work on a remaster, but a 2 year old game like Automata, and people mention "Oh please bring me a remaster", like WTF, how about a new title? Why should funds go to the remaster of a 2 freaking years old game when it can be put into making a brand new Nier title. I've always read posts that ask for remasters of 2-3 year old games of the current generation that it makes me angry.
People talking about remasters in this thread are probably talking about the original NieR, which was released almost a decade ago.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I bought the GotY addition yesterday in PSN. Maybe I was number 4 million. 😀

Really enjoying it so far.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about Nier 3 the other day, it's pretty obvious that Platinum games is not working on the next Nier game and Square Enix is probably making it themselves, the only reason i can think that they would do this is because they're going to dramatically increase the budget of the game and give it the type of production values you'd expect from a AAA Square Enix, something that Platinum isn't really known for.

That's really the only reason i can think of to take Platinum off the project.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Massive achievement for such a modest production. Breaking the graphics barrier.

Not just the graphics, though. The whole game is dated in a way. You can say it's a real videogame's videogame. Feels like a PS2 game sometimes.

I'm delighted to see this underdog take its place among the heavy hitters of this generation.

Oct 25, 2017
A Nier game -

Sold far above all expectations, managing to impress Square Enix, the king of overestimations
Saved Platinum from a string of failures and cancellations
Reviewed very well
Is generally considered one of the best games of the generation

Weird timeline. I hope we see Taros next project at E3. I'll be down for whatever he does.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I started a new game. I'm ready to play through it a little slower this time. It's just as nice the second time through.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I started a new game. I'm ready to play through it a little slower this time. It's just as nice the second time through.

I have played it four times now, last time just recently in linux :)
If anything it gets better...
Lot's of subtle things you don't catch the first time.

Taro will have all the alcohol he wants to write more tales with these sales!

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I have played it four times now, last time just recently in linux :)
If anything it gets better...
Lot's of subtle things you don't catch the first time.

Taro will have all the alcohol he wants to write more tales with these sales!

I'm definitely considering dropping this game, double-dipping it and playing on Linux. does that major fix mod work fine? You just drop it in?