• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Um, as I know per-object velocity-based motion blur has been in use for a long time now. Crysis in 2007 had it. Are we talking about the same technology?
Yes we are actually. But the game has no idea what object your eye is tracking and it's usually set to the player character in 3rd person and cursor location in first person.

In a film/video, you, the director, can know what the focus object is. It's tougher for a computer to do that automatically in real time, though, it is getting better. That's the key difference between "good" motion blur implementations and garbage blur.

And camera stablization helps a lot. Proper film-esque panning and camera shots help a lot in making a scene look cinematic.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Does the new forum support embedding Imgur's .gifv links, or gfycat links?

Really should use those instead of the .gifs on imgur. It really slows down the page trying to load them all.

Oct 25, 2017
Sunhi's gifs use per object motion blur, which is a post process method used mostly in film, since it's something that is very compute-intensive. It's not something you're going to see in real-time, even on the best gaming PCs.

Maybe in the future, it would really be a boost to IQ in motion.
Nier Automata has per object motion blur, actually. Both on PS4 Pro and PC. Sunhi is not using the game's own solution, though, because he was having issues with his PC, so he added his own.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it enjoyable to play Nier on original PS4 and not PRO?
Im pretty sure it won't look as good as the gif in the OP :(

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Is it enjoyable to play Nier on original PS4 and not PRO?
Im pretty sure it won't look as good as the gif in the OP :(

The pro upgrades were 1080p (compared to 900p), slightly better shadows and motion blur.
You're really not missing out on a lot by playing it on the base PS4. Framerate isn't stable regardless fo platform.

Um the gifs aren't showing up for me.

HTTPS imgur links are broken right now

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great game. It just lacked engaging and interesting enemies. You get this incredible combat system, but nothing fun or challenging to use it against.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
J2IqSdJ.gif

The animations in this game are just so good.

Also love those little details like how 2B does those little flourishes when you don't move after the combo is done

0wyKvJ0.gif

HhRL35E.gif

Even the animation for putting away the sword is cool

nRSdIM1.gif

NEE HEE HEE

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That actually is quite an accurate statement. Nier games are definitely "Experiences" that you really will not forget.

Drakengard too from what I've seen, though sadly never played it. Wish they'd remaster 1 and 3 (3 especially from what I hear it was just buggy and nearly unplayable sadly)

Should just say that "Yoko Taro" games are "experiences".

Drakengard on PS2 is fairly optimized and still looks good. The only thing that's questionable is the on-foot gameplay.

All of that aside, the game fucked me up on the inside after I finished it. I felt confused, and just absolutely hopeless.

I wish Sony would implement a BC system like Microsoft does, so we could use PS4/Pro hardware to boost PS3 games. Then drakengard 3 could be played at a locked framerate.

Above all else though I hope SE announces a new Drakengard or new Nier. I want more new stuff from them (with PG developing of course).

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when it was first shown off (at an e3 was it?), it was 2B's running animation that caught my attention lol, due to how fast and smooth it looked.