• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Yeah, this game so far definitely is the definitive OST of the year for sure. Just some amazing compositions throughout the whole game:

It definitely should get an award for this.

Which is why I went WTF when I saw for the recently announced Golden Joystick Awards, Nier:Automata was not nominated in the Audio category. Again, WTF?!

Kyle Mccarley also wasn't nominated for his voice acting, it's a travest

Galleren

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Damnit. I guess i have to finally buy this on Steam. Been holding off for a while, but it looks too good to pass up. Love the character designs.

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The animation work in Nier is definitely the most impressive visual accomplishment of the game, for sure.

I wonder how the sequel is going to be like. Bigger budget? Better engine?

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I think the cutscenes are quite lacking in terms of overall animation (I experienced frequent framerate drops and stuttering when I played on PC), but basic movement in this game is so goddamn satisfying.

Running animations are fluid, graceful, and really fit the theme. Combat is smooth and the dash / evade movements are really something else.

And 2B...lawdy. I love her style. And her face. And her...overall design (˵ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°˵)

Anthanes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen that game in action until now and WOW. That animation is so fluid. I'm kind of interested in this game now.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
7/10 game IMO and that's being lenient. I liked the characters, world (lore), music and overall plot, but disliked almost everything else. As much as people (generally) dislike TW3 combat for example I enjoyed it a lot more than the combat of Nier: Automata. During the last third of 9S route I put the game on easy just to be done with combat parts asap. Exploration felt so-so and side quests were terrible, even Dragon Age: Inquisition which was one of my biggest gaming disappointments wasn't as bad in that regard for me.

All in all, if I knew what I was getting into beforehand, I wouldn't play the game and rather spend it on another RPG(s). I hope the next game in the series will be an improvement over Nier:A in places that matter to me the most as I really liked the history/lore of the world.

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Ayy, thanks. Game really does look great.

Puruzi you're here! :D

Also as someone who got pulled away from Automata due to life reasons I really have to go and finish it, Suhni's .gif's are the perfect motivation, experience describes the game really well, it's just so otherworldly and fun to play to boot!

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Nier: Automata is one of those games I wish I could forget so I could play it all over again.

7/10 game IMO and that's being lenient. I liked the characters, world (lore), music and overall plot, but disliked almost everything else. As much as people (generally) dislike TW3 combat for example I enjoyed it a lot more than the combat of Nier: Automata. During the last third of 9S route I put the game on easy just to be done with combat parts asap. Exploration felt so-so and side quests were terrible, even Dragon Age: Inquisition which was one of my biggest gaming disappointments wasn't as bad in that regard for me.

All in all, if I knew what I was getting into beforehand, I wouldn't play the game.
poQjFHd.png

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is also on PC too. I know PC version has gotten some flak due to lack of patches. Although I thought I heard Durante say it was at least a consistent port, and there are some fan-patches to help optimize it.

Ah good point, I'll check the system specs. Got my hands full with Wolfenstein 2 now anyway.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
SunhiLegend could sell a game with his beautiful gifs. We should have a thread for his gaming gifs, I'd love to see gifs that I've inevitably missed due to not playing the game yet.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
As much as people (generally) dislike TW3 combat for example I enjoyed it a lot more than the combat of Nier: Automata.
I can't fathom this. I tried to enjoy TW3's combat, but it was so repetitive and unresponsive that I just couldn't handle it.

It's definitely a step up over nonsense like AC or Arkham-style combat, but I just couldn't get into a zen-like rhythm like with Automata. And that's not even getting into the character movement.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I can't fathom this. I tried to enjoy TW3's combat, but it was so repetitive and unresponsive that I just couldn't handle it.

It's definitely a step up over nonsense like AC or Arkham-style combat, but I just couldn't get into a zen-like rhythm like with Automata. And that's not even getting into the character movement.
Yep, it has the fluidity of a character action game that makes the combat better than almost any other ARPG.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

All in all, if I knew what I was getting into beforehand, I wouldn't play the game and rather spend it on another RPG(s). I hope the next game in the series will be an improvement over Nier:A in places that matter to me the most as I really liked the history/lore of the world.

I was a colossal fan of the original Nier. One of my favorite PS3 games. Even despite its kind of cruddy Cavia game design, it just has so much heart.

Flash forward to Automata, and I found this one charmless, narratively unengaging, and incredibly unbalanced in the combat department. It felt like someone trying to make a Bayonetta game into an RPG and messing it up in so many tiny little ways. Made it to the beginning of Route C and just gave up.

It's sad, because the concept of a Nier sequel developed by the Metal Gear Rising team is one of the most hype things ever for me. The execution was just not there.

Music was good, at least - provided the overworld music didn't glitch out and only play the piano backing track over and over and over again without any of the melody. Which happened most of the time.

Oct 25, 2017
It looks incredible! Glad to find people who agree with that.

Nier: Automata is one of those games I wish I could forget so I could play it all over again.

But when replaying it you can
pick up on all the clever foreshadowing
so that's a pretty cool incentive to go through it all again with your prior knowledge. :P

Last edited:

Dubloon7

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just started Route B......and I HATE playing as 9S. Why does he only use 1 weapon with less attack combos? Basically running into enemies attack them with low attack volume and then hack into their brains to self destruct or whatever? I don't like it. Anyone have any tips for me on how to enjoy this second route? I may just run thru it to the finish line, start route C and then buy my trophies from the NPC.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I just started Route B......and I HATE playing as 9S. Why does he only use 1 weapon with less attack combos? Basically running into enemies attack them with low attack volume and then hack into their brains to self destruct or whatever? I don't like it. Anyone have any tips for me on how to enjoy this second route? I may just run thru it to the finish line, start route C and then buy my trophies from the NPC.

He's fun with a spear. Holding light attack makes him throw it, and it goes really far, pierces enemies and hits hard as hell, especially if you have a Crit chip equipped and it procs. Hack when enemies are clustered together. Get a Stun chip and probably a Combust chip, which do an AoE shutdown on anything near a hacked enemy, and the other lights them on fire for extra damage.

I love playing as 9S.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Use Spears.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I saw these a few days ago. That run gif is the coolest thing I've seen of this game.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I tried the beta and figured the game wasn't for me but it sure did feel superb to control.

The animation in those GIFs are incredible.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The gifs look amazing but having watched DF vids and reviews of the game, i have to call BS lol.

Studios need to hire Sunhi because whatever he does makes these games look incredible. The guy has an incredible eye for cinematography. I mean if the reason these gifs look great is because they are rendered at 24 fps with motion blur then sign me up for some hot 24 fps action.

Dubloon7

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's fun with a spear. Holding light attack makes him throw it, and it goes really far, pierces enemies and hits hard as hell, especially if you have a Crit chip equipped and it procs. Hack when enemies are clustered together. Get a Stun chip and probably a Combust chip, which do an AoE shutdown on anything near a hacked enemy, and the other lights them on fire for extra damage.

I love playing as 9S.

Thank you. I'll try that with a new loadout of chips. I just got lazy and kept using the same loadout from 2B. Is there a specific spear you recommend I use? I only have a few, and I need to research the forest kingdom a little more as I rushed thru it.

Dubloon7

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The gifs look amazing but having watched DF vids and reviews of the game, i have to call BS lol.

Studios need to hire Sunhi because whatever he does makes these games look incredible. The guy has an incredible eye for cinematography. I mean if the reason these gifs look great is because they are rendered at 24 fps with motion blur then sign me up for some hot 24 fps action.

no way my slim PS4 records my gameplay and makes it look crisp and gorgeous as these gifs. What's the consensus regarding PS4 stream recording: 720 or 1080? I believe my settings are set to default 720

pandemonium

Oct 25, 2017
Hacking is actually very OP. Did you know that you can press L-Trigger (or R-Trigger) to "Lock-On" in hacking mode? I didn't realize until almost the end of the game and felt until then hacking was too much trouble.

Woooow I wish I would have known that when I played through. It would have saved me some headache.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. I'll try that with a new loadout of chips. I just got lazy and kept using the same loadout from 2B. Is there a specific spear you recommend I use? I only have a few, and I need to research the forest kingdom a little more as I rushed thru it.

Spear of the Usurper from the B route Heritage Of The Past quest in the desert. It's a really shitty quest that requires you to find old relics in the desert using the scanner, but they always spawn in the same place so just use the Wiki to figure out where and save yourself the trouble. The spear gets Crit + at level 2 and at 4 it gets Turncoat, which has a chance to make hit enemies your allies.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

no way my slim PS4 records my gameplay and makes it look crisp and gorgeous as these gifs. What's the consensus regarding PS4 stream recording: 720 or 1080? I believe my settings are set to default 720

Sunhi's gifs use per object motion blur, which is a post process method used mostly in film, since it's something that is very compute-intensive. It's not something you're going to see in real-time, even on the best gaming PCs.

Maybe in the future, it would really be a boost to IQ in motion.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
Sunhi's gifs use per object motion blur, which is a post process method used mostly in film, since it's something that is very compute-intensive. It's not something you're going to see in real-time, even on the best gaming PCs.

Maybe in the future, it would really be a boost to IQ in motion.
Um, as I know per-object velocity-based motion blur has been in use for a long time now. Crysis in 2007 had it. Are we talking about the same technology?