• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Found the game for relatively cheap (50 euros, when new ps4 games can retail as high as 70), so I caved in and bought it.

What should I take into account when I get into the game? I've played Automata, and have some basic knowledge about the OG Nier (mostly through cultural osmosis). Loved the OST.

I read here that I should avoid the side quests in part 1? What else should I do to make experience better.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
I agree brother nier is bad. Really unrealistic to expect an older brother want to look after their younger sibling.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
can someone suggest which sidequests to actually do, and when

without spoilers if possible

Unlocks animal riding in Part 1:
Boar Hunt

These are the Lighthouse Lady quests the user talked about, they are all in Part 1 and worth doing for their story:

The Postman's Request
The Lighthouse Lady's Wrath
Closure

These 4 quests you MUST do in Part 2, whatever route, to get all weapons:

The Damaged Map
A Shade Entombed
Disturbing the Sleep of Kings
A Bridge in Peril

The rest is whatever, you can start them all and do those for which you already have the items in your inventory

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Boar Hunt

These are the Lighthouse Lady quests the user talked about, they are all in Part 1 and worth doing for their story:

The Postman's Request
Closure

The Damaged Map
A Shade Entombed
A Bridge in Peril

The rest is whatever, you can start them all and do those for which you already have the items in your inventory

Thanks!

is postmaster request the quest to give the letter to someone in The Aerie?

KilgoreWolfe

Apr 13, 2021
About four hours in now, and I realized I kinda miss games from this era (the PS360 era). Leaves me feeling a bit nostalgic and sad. I dig it.

Also generally enjoying the OST so far ("Song of the Ancients - Devola" will be stuck in my head for at least a week), but I have noticed it feeling just a little bit off at times. Like an almost sneeze, it comes close to being satisfying but becomes incredibly frustrating because it stops short.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Fellas, is it cringe to take care of your family?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really weighed on my heart when I was watching my younger sister and just fucking yeeted her out the window due to the cringe.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
It really weighed on my heart when I was watching my younger sister and just fucking yeeted her out the window due to the cringe.

Hell yeah, my sister had a mental breakdown on easter so I just told her she was cringe as hell. Also I didn't want it to seem like I cared about her because people might think we're incestuous because of anime.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Have you played the original? The critical acclaim of NieR stems primarily from its storytelling and music anyway and all of those things you mentioned are either improved or at the same level as the original so they're not going to make the game any worse.
Nope first time going through it. Just reached the time skip. Right now this definitely feels like a "You had to be there" type of experience. In 2011 I can see this being a mind blowing experience since JRPGs were in a bad spot but I dunno...this ain't doing it for me. I'll give it a couple more hours and see how I feel.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Found the game for relatively cheap (50 euros, when new ps4 games can retail as high as 70), so I caved in and bought it.

What should I take into account when I get into the game? I've played Automata, and have some basic knowledge about the OG Nier (mostly through cultural osmosis). Loved the OST.

I read here that I should avoid the side quests in part 1? What else should I do to make experience better.

My copy isn't here yet so I'm basing this all on the OG lol. The sidequests in part one are typically the less tedious of the 2 halves and often a good source of money, which enemies don't drop. Bear in mind that you will need to purchase multiple weapons at some point if going for any ending after B, so at least try to do a few of the easier ones. If it seems like it's too out of the way or requires a rare enemy drop it's probably safe to skip. In terms of the side stories I would recommend any quests to do with the Lighthouse lady.
Sidequests that reward weapons are: Damaged Map, Disturbing the Sleep of Kings, and Magical Stone. Even if you skip all others, definitely do these 3 as soon as they're available. And break boxes.

If you're going for every ending, you'll get A and B naturally. But save before the point of no return in your next playthrough, continue through the finale, pick option 1 when prompted for ending C and save in a new slot. Then you can reload the earlier save and go on to pick the 2nd option for ending D which should save a couple hours.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
So I like the song that plays when you're the library and decided to compare it to the original and honestly new version sounds way better. The instruments seem to be higher quality. Did the same for when you first reach the Aerie and the new OST sounds better to me.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Papa Nier's so fucking great why doesn't he put a shirt on and get a job.

Hell yeah, my sister had a mental breakdown on easter so I just told her she was cringe as hell. Also I didn't want it to seem like I cared about her because people might think we're incestuous because of anime.

If you have an older brother he will be your rival, if you have a sister, older or younger, you will fuck her.

As someone who's had all of them my childhood was rough.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Took a quick peek at some of the new stuff to hear *those* voice actors, and
from the couple of lines I heard, they really are bringing things full-circle between Drakengard 1, 3, Nier Replicant, and Automata.
Can't wait to get to it.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Well I guess I'm not getting my White Snow today. It's been in the next city over since 2am but it's still being "processed for delivery" and it's now 2pm.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I agree brother nier is bad. Really unrealistic to expect an older brother want to look after their younger sibling.
Eh, maybe it's because I'm an older brother and my younger brother and I have a similar age gap as the protagonist and Yonah (6 or so years for my brother and I, probably about the same for them) but I definitely don't find that whole thing unrealistic. Granted I also have older sisters and both of my parents are alive and well so I never had to be a full on care taker for him but when he was that young age I easily would have moved heaven and hell for that kid, especially when he was really sick as a kid.

Plus I kind of like the way that the story unfolds through a kid's eyes, he's innocent and hopeful and it really changes a lot of the dialogue and context of many scenes to make me appreciate it more.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Route C now and my battery died oof.

Took a quick peek at some of the new stuff to hear *those* voice actors, and
from the couple of lines I heard, they really are bringing things full-circle between Drakengard 1, 3, Nier Replicant, and Automata.
Can't wait to get to it.

Have you seen the FFXIV Raid?
Taro is tighening those connections quite strongly

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway the real answer is that NieR is a game that lives or dies on how it makes you feel, and something as drastic as the protagonist getting rewritten into the same guy at a different point in his life who has a different relationship with the loved one you're questing for, thereby influencing both your view on him and the entire world around you as you see it through his eyes, that changes how you feel.

Everything I've learned about NieR OG paints the game's story as Brother Nier's more than it is Papa's, and actually playing Brother Nier's game for the first game is confirming that more and more as I go on, but you're never going to get a final vote on the Objective Better Protagonist because there is very little about NieR as a game that is objective. Papa Nier as the protagonist of a JRPG is more of an interesting novelty than another teenager regardless of the writing quality actually going into the game, that's something we can all agree on because these games don't get made with adult players in mind, and that NieR's incredibly primal story could function as well it did from the perspectives of two different men is a testament to the quality and care that went into it.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Nope first time going through it. Just reached the time skip. Right now this definitely feels like a "You had to be there" type of experience. In 2011 I can see this being a mind blowing experience since JRPGs were in a bad spot but I dunno...this ain't doing it for me. I'll give it a couple more hours and see how I feel.
I've said this ad nauseum but if you've heard the original soundtrack and then listen to these remixes it definitely feels like a huge downgrade which is unfortunate because the music was one of the reasons the first game is loved by its fans so much. I don't think this point is easy to appreciate unless you've played the original. The gameplay was dated upon release and certainly not mind blowing even back then. It was a niche game and I doubt it had much of a budget hence the small scale and padding. It didn't really matter to me though because the story is still one of the best in gaming and in combination with the OST made the game more than the sum of its parts.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Part 1 (pre-timeskip) overstays it's welcome a bit. Part 2 is the better half of the game imo and where the storytelling begins to shine.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Well, color me surprised. I thought for sure it was higher than 1080. Either the xbox or cx does a really good job of upscaling a 1080p image to a 4k output.
You're not totally wrong! I'm now crying for buying this for PS5 and not series X; it was one X enhanced but not the Pro

dear speaker

Apr 16, 2020
Boar Hunt

The Postman's Request
Closure

The Damaged Map
A Shade Entombed
A Bridge in Peril

I support this summary. The problem is just that, as soon as you start playing the game as a checklist, you've kind of already lost. And it's really easy to start playing the game as a checklist.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyway the real answer is that NieR is a game that lives or dies on how it makes you feel, and something as drastic as the protagonist getting rewritten into the same guy at a different point in his life who has a different relationship with the loved one you're questing for, thereby influencing both your view on him and the entire world around you as you see it through his eyes, that changes how you feel.

Everything I've learned about NieR OG paints the game's story as Brother Nier's more than it is Papa's, and actually playing Brother Nier's game for the first game is confirming that more and more as I go on, but you're never going to get a final vote on the Objective Better Protagonist because there is very little about NieR as a game that is objective. Papa Nier as the protagonist of a JRPG is more of an interesting novelty than another teenager regardless of the writing quality actually going into the game, that's something we can all agree on because these games don't get made with adult players in mind, and that NieR's incredibly primal story could function as well it did from the perspectives of two different men is a testament to the quality and care that went into it.
I think the bolded is what it comes down to for me. Papa Nier was such a different protagonist than what I was used to in a JRPG when I first played Nier. It was refreshing to play as this big, buff, ugly old guy than another pretty boy. I've not played Replicant but from all the stuff I've seen and read, some stuff definitely works better with him than it does Papa Nier.
The time skip is a big one. Young Nier is a literal child at the start of the game. Watching him make his appearance in the time skip older, taller, more muscular and with a sword the size of his body makes much more sense than the already big as fuck Papa Nier suddenly deciding to wield a Greatsword. The large change in his design was a great choice that I'm not sure why they didn't implement for Papa Nier. Would've been interesting if Pap Nier started off as a more meek and docile father and later this hardened, buff badass. Another thing that works better with young Nier imo is Emil's crush on him. It's simply more believable to me that a young preteen boy would develop a crush on a young man closer to his age than someone who could literally be his dad.
On the other hand, there's a ton of stuff that works better for me with Papa Nier.
Again there's the refreshing nature of a father-daughter relationship and using this buff unconventionally attractive grown man in a JRPG. The whole story and revelations were much more tragic and emotionally resonant for me in the perspective of a father. It was downright heartbreaking. I also personally enjoyed Papa Nier's relationship with Kaine more. Again I think it's the novelty. A young woman falling for a much older man just doesn't happen a lot in JRPGs. It's also just a lot more badass watching her kick this 200+ pound grown man up to his feet and pinning him against the wall than it is to watch her do the same to young Nier.

Both have their pros and cons for sure but I don't necessarily think one is significantly more inferior than the other.

dear speaker

Apr 16, 2020
Its a common trope in manga and anime, one that is always a bit weird and cringey to me. I still think Papa Nier is better.
Before you get swamped by the Nier defense force, I just wanted to say that I agree and I'm sure a lot of other people do as well. There's just something about how they set up and present these brother-sister stories that I find completely alien. But in any case, the game's creators have been pretty open about the fact that they went with different tropes for the japanese and western markets in order to better resonate with the respective playerbases. So I don't think it's much to get upset about.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
You're not totally wrong! I'm now crying for buying this for PS5 and not series X; it was one X enhanced but not the Pro

What the hell? That's honestly weird as fuck, considering that the game had PS4 marketing and SE probably expecting the game to sell better on PS4 (considering Nier Automata was a PS4 console exclusive by default for a good while and Japanese games selling better there) so I wonder why the hell it got One X support (including some awesome HDR implementation as well) but no PS4 Pro support... I'd understand it if it were in reverse or if it was XSX/XSS enhanced but not PS5 (considering the limitations of PS5 patches without a native port) so that's just weird.

I'm also just glad I'm not going crazy. I had assumed the game was 1080p on my One X as it is on PS4 Pro, and was impressed at how good it looked last night and this morning so I was also beginning to wonder if it had a boosted resolution or something as well. Hopefully they'll be able to get a PS4 Pro and next gen patch out sooner or later. I'd love 4k/120 to happen if it were possible.

Actually a thought just occurred to me: is it possible that MS paid to specifically have the game be One X enhanced when they presumably struck a deal to get the game on Xbox platforms, whereas Sony didn't do that because the game was always coming to PS4. The reason I say this is because the game was revealed at the Nier 10th Anniversary Stream where they also announced Automata would come to Xbox Game Pass and that Replicant 1.22 would have an Xbox physical release in general. That on top of the brand new Automata PC port for Game Pass PC tells me that there was a deal of sorts even though Sony had the marketing for the game

how on earth are you folks beating the game several times over already lol

I played the game for the first time in mid to late 2019, and even though I haven't touched it since then, I'm very impressed at just how much I remember from the original game in terms of where to go and how to best do a lot of side quests. Granted I only remember very vague things and not the specifics, so my memory will certainly get less and less useful as time goes on, but I wouldn't be surprised if it helped me go through and get through the game pretty quickly

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, this doesn't surprise me. I'm playing on Series X and all throughout I've been thinking: damn, this looks incredible for 1080p. Would make a lot more sense.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does changing the difficulty in the title screen reflect on your saved game?

If so, what are the differences between Normal and Hard?

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
I've never played this Nier so figure I give it a try. It starts out slow but it's getting interesting now so really curious where the story goes. Combat is simple yet enjoyable. Kinda in the same vein as Genshin Impact though you can block and parry.

Zeeds

Mar 21, 2019
All the comments judging brother Nier, and the new soundtrack, and all i gotta say, im enjoying the new perspective from the brother and the soundtrack is equally good, shadowlord is for me one the best pieces of music, and the new version is so good. Just beacuse is not the same, doesn't mean they are not good.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Sure looked better than a normal 1080p to me, it's explained.

I would get it on xbox either way, but still nice to know it's above 1080.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I'm not sure if fans of the original nier will consider this to be a spoiler for 1.22, so i put it into tags before someone complaints

There is a bit of new content in Route C.
Not sure how much tho.