• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
screenshot8.0.jpg

I absolutely adored this game last year, got around to playing it quite a while after launch but couldn't put it down once I started. It follows Mae Borowski's return to her hometown of Possum Springs after flunking out of college. Mae, aimless and struggling with the concept of adulthood returns to see that her friends are largely moving forward with their lives. The town also features a mystery to unravel. Gameplay wise, there's light platforming to traverse the town and social interactions in an almost Persona adjacent style where you pick friends to spend each day / evening with. It's set in the lovely Possum Springs, a rural Rust Belt town that's seen far better times. The characters are all well developed and tremendously likeable. Personally, the story hit home in some regards, but I believe anyone would find it very affecting. Night in the Woods also speaks to some very relevant political issues currently facing America and features some pretty nice LGBTQ representation.

night-in-the-woods_20170221213234.jpg

It's a great game but more than that, it's a great October game. It's one of the comfiest games I've ever played. Thinking about it instils that feeling of being wrapped up in a blanket with a hot beverage and no responsibilities for the day. It's set in Pennsylvania, in a super cozy town full of lively characters, trees fully abloom in their fall colors and an art style that really does compliment the autumn atmosphere. The pace of the game moves as slow as you would like it to. If you want to explore and spend every day like it's your last, you're more than able to. There are also loads of touching little side stories and characters to discover.

xeqqds65slerqr9vaemp.0.jpeg

I don't have the vocabulary to properly describe Alec Holowka's score, but I'll say this, it perfectly captures the mood of the town. The tracks change as the days go on, creating a sense of passing time. Each of the town's locations has its own relaxing or more often, melancholic tune. I've returned to the OST countless times in the year since playing the game.

maxresdefault.jpg

So yeah, if any of this sounded appealing, definitely check this game out. I expect to be revisiting this title a decade from now.

-Six months or so after release the team bundled some extra content and scenarios that were previously Kickstarter exclusive into the "Night in the Woods Weird Autumn Edition", which is a free update for all who own the game on PC and consoles.
-Night in the Woods is currently 40% off ($12) on Steam and on the Nintendo eshop, but it's also available on PS4, and Xbox One.
-It should take you between 8-14 hours to beat depending on your pace through the game.

Night_in_the_Woods_Screenshot_Mae_Bridge_Sunset.jpg

A-Night-In-The-Woods-Switch-review-03.jpg

night-in-the-woods_20170224215732.jpg

At the end of everything, hold on to anything.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with even the slightest love for narrative focus in games needs to play Night in the Woods. It's the best book you'll ever play.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Scott Benson has been pretty adamant that this will never, ever be bundled or on sale for significantly less than its current price, right? I still have over $30 in my Steam wallet, and still debating whether or not to put down $12 for it.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
I try to avoid hyperbole when talking about games.

But I can't when I talk about NiTW - I love it so much. Bonus points if you're from or have ties to Pittsburgh/western PA.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for reminding me to finish this! Already past the "Halloween" sequence, it's a beautiful game.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Great thread. It's such a cozy, relaxing game to play, with an amazing atmosphere. Do not miss out on it if you enjoy narrative games, it's in my top three this gen.

Need to beat a second time as there are a couple of characters I didn't get to know well enough. That'd be the perfect time like you said but I just started this little game that came out recently that a few people here talk about

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
The leaves haven't fully changed here yet, so it's more of a November game to me than October. But I totally agree with the sentiment. It's my new Fall game now that I've exhausted both Costume Quests.

Need to beat a second time as there are a couple of characters I didn't get to know well enough.

Same. Need to spend more time with Bea or Gregg's BF (who's name is completely escaping me).

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I finished it last week after taking ages to get through it.

It's... ok! I'm not as crazy about it as some people, but I think that the appeal of the game is heavily steeped in northeastern USA autumn goodness, so it does make for a good October game if that's your cup of tea.

The Persona-style day cycle and the impact your actions have on relationships is interesting, but the actual moment-to-moment gameplay might be real dry for some people. It's essentially an interactive visual novel/flash cartoon for ~10 hours. I know that might sound very derisive, but if you value story and aesthetic highly enough, then Night in the Woods will probably work for you. Even then, the main character might not be for everyone.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I finished it last week after taking ages to get through it.

It's... ok! I'm not as crazy about it as some people, but I think that the appeal of the game is heavily steeped in northeastern USA autumn goodness, so it does make for a good October game if that's your cup of tea.
Aha yeah, I didn't like it very much either >.<

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I've expressed my issues with the constant loading, but I still really liked the game.

I tried playing it last winter and it's mood caught me at a wrong time where I couldn't really handle the themes while also going through personal tough times. Felt better playing it in September.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh yeah, other stuff:
-Scott Benson's Twitter is great.
-Halloween or "harfest" is lovely in this game.
-"No fascists at this party"
-Stargazing.
-The band segments and rhythm minigame are great.
-Garbo and Malloy.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
The game's fictional town of Possum Springs is identifiably based on Western PA - the way the locals chatter, the focus on SPORTS, God, and beer, pining for a time when mining brought the town prosperity, and the existential teens that can't tell how to escape a place that seems obsessed with legacies that are now generation's past. The devs are from the area, and it shows.

I went to Pitt for a few years, and have a lot of friends who were from Central and Western PA, and they've agreed that the game was eerie in how relatable it was.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Dang. That sounds mighty tempting... It's on sale now too. Hmm. I've spent quite a bit recently, so I think I'll have to pass for now. Bummer. Maybe. I should definitely get the bundle with the soundtrack when I do get it, though, yeah?

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is a fantastic game. I sort of wish I waited until now to play it. I want to see the story bits I missed out on, but I may just look up videos because as much as I love this game, the actual gameplay itself is a bit slow.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Very true

Crimes

Dang. That sounds mighty tempting... It's on sale now too. Hmm. I've spent quite a bit recently, so I think I'll have to pass for now. Bummer. Maybe. I should definitely get the bundle with the soundtrack when I do get it, though, yeah?

Yeah, the soundtrack is stellar. I'd highly recommend it.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game's fictional town of Possum Springs is identifiably based on Western PA - the way the locals chatter, the focus on SPORTS, God, and beer, pining for a time when mining brought the town prosperity, and the existential teens that can't tell how to escape a place that seems obsessed with legacies that are now generation's past. The devs are from the area, and it shows.

I went to Pitt for a few years, and have a lot of friends who were from Central and Western PA, and they've agreed that the game was eerie in how relatable it was.

Holy shit, my story is similar to your's, and this game was already on my radar but now even moreso. This place has a city with little town feel of that kind of feel to it with years of history to pull from, so can't wait to see what they do with that.

It's very heavily based on that area, and its themes and atmosphere draw from it. The game as a whole works well even without that context, but being familiar with the kind of rusting-out town it takes place in elevates it to a new level. Also, pierogis.

I do love me some pierogis
fiaG8fG.gif

Last edited:

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I bought this in a sale int he past but never got around to playing it yet, but this thread just made me finally install it.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, it's finally the time for me to buy this game. I've been delaying it for so long, and I'm not sure why because this always looked like my kind of game

Going to cop it on the Switch

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Grew up in Utica NY for most of my life. It's a prime example of a delapidated rust belt city and is one of the fastest contracting cities in the entire country.

Needless to say, I found myself extremely moved by both the setting and characters. When it was all over I cried quite a bit in the way that I used to cry when a friend moved away or when a fun vacation was over. I felt such a deep attachment and resonance to the mood of the game that I really just sort of gave myself over to the emotional odyssey of it all.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Every time I try to get back into it I get discouraged by the constant loading screens.

I dropped it around the 4 hour mark. The style and music is nice but from what I played it didn't really grab me. I'm sure it gets better.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I love playing this when I need a break to relax from everything else.

Still haven't finished yet, been playing it here and there for a bit, but the characters are so memorable that I just need to take a look at Mae's drawings and it feels like home again :)

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Are the PC and Switch versions exactly the same? If so I think I'll get it on Switch. Any advice appreciated thx. :D

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I found NitW to be the zenith of what people mean when they talk about millennial angst. Could not relate whatsoever.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Currently on sale

2t7bBZ6.png

I need to replay this sometime. My diary was still missing a few pages I need to hang out with all the friends again.

Last edited:

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
The strengths of this game (music, story, themes, artstyle) by far outweigh the minor problems with the game (platforming, slow navigation).
It's one of the games I tell everyone to experience at least once, as it's so unique in its atmosphere and package, as a whole.
The dialogue is also one of the most natural and enjoyable out there.