• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
l_5c4965dd96a90z5j96.jpg

Developed by Nude Maker, published by PLAYISM, $24.99/2,480円, January 31

New Launch Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf-w0MDmwBM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eESz_mFM6b4

Official Website:
http://www.night-cry.com/

sources: Famitsu, Gematsu

5c4965dd85d070njjl.jpg

dsluzo4w0aa2z7c7lj0m.jpg

The game was kickstarted in 2015 and raised $314,771. It was first released on PC in March 2016 to overall mixed reactions.

I can't imagine many people thought this would still come out on Vita in 2019, but I'm always up for more Clock Tower.

Anyone else excited to finally check out this game?

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Striking while the iron is hot, I see.

I understand why people might be disappointed that this game wasn't able to address the flaws inherent to the old Clock Tower games but I wouldn't write it off as a failure by any means--they promised not-Clock Tower, they delivered, jank and all.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Is it any good? I do love Clock Tower though.
The game has a 73 on Opencritic from four reviews and mixed user reviews on Steam. (edit: the top review is by Dusk Golem, he recommends the game)

It does sound like an unpolished Clock Tower game that fans of the CT series and Haunting Ground can have fun with. I'll definitely check it out, hope the Vita version runs alright.

Was Vita a stretch goal of their Kickstarter?
Not sure if it was part of the original pitch or a stretch goal, but the game was supposed to come to PC, iOS, Android, and Vita.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
NightCry is a horrible game. It's not only bad and dumb, but also conceptually and mechanically broken.

This must be stated several times before people jump in just because of the names who worked on it

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Some additional info about the Vita version from a Playism blog post:

We are excited to announce that NightCry for the PSVita is scheduled to be released on the North American PS Store on January 31st. The European PS Store release date will be announced soon.

While the game featured point-and-click adventure-style controls for the PC version, the PSVita version now allows you to perform basic controls by using the stick to move and select items and options. The choices you make will affect – and ultimately decide – the fates of the three main characters, with multiple endings awaiting you at the end.

Features:
  • A horror-adventure from two great horror genre masters.
  • An immortal Scissorwalker which relentlessly pursues the player.
  • Smoothly shift between exploration mode and survival mode at the appearance of the Scissorwalker.
  • Branching paths and multiple endings. Progress is automatically saved at branching points.
  • A variety of choices which impacts the whole story, leading a happy ending, or an ending which is much, much worse.

Developed through a collaboration between Hifumi Kono, creator of the Clock Tower series, and Grudge series director Takashi Shimizu, NightCry is a 3D horror-adventure game in which you'll experience sheer terror onboard a luxurious cruise ship from which there is no escape.

The main characters find themselves aboard a luxurious cruise liner, on what was supposed to be a fun and relaxing trip. However, a series of gruesome murders aboard the ship are discovered one after another, causing the passengers to grow paranoid and start distrusting one another. Then, the immortal, bloodthirsty killer known as "Scissorwalker" appears. With no way to get off of this increasingly claustrophobic ship in the middle of the ocean, the body count continues to rise. Weapons have no effect on the Scissorwalker. You must desperately seek means of escape, defense, and places to hide lest you become the next victim. The only thing that can help you survive this journey is the choices which you, the player, make.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
I'm happy to have supported this project, but it was really not a good game at all. Terrible design and clunky to play. They should've stuck to 2D.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
NightCry is a horrible game. It's not only bad and dumb, but also conceptually and mechanically broken.

This must be stated several times before people jump in just because of the names who worked on it

I'm glad you feel the need to state it, but could you be so kind as to explain why? Seriously, I dont get why people cant just explain why it sucks so people can attempt to make an informed decision.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad you feel the need to state it, but could you be so kind as to explain why? Seriously, I dont get why people cant just explain why it sucks so people can attempt to make an informed decision.

? I did. The game is broken. It doesn't work. It's buggy, janky beyond acceptable, relies on a hiding mechanic that simply doesn't work as intended, there are parts where you get stuck in a near infinite loop of defending from not-scissorman and trying to activate/open something and the list goes on.

All the other complaints about the story and its protagonists is heavily spoiler territory so sorry for not ruining the plot for those who still want to get it regardless I guess?

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
? I did. The game is broken. It doesn't work. It's buggy, janky beyond acceptable, relies on a hiding mechanic that simply doesn't work as intended, there are parts where you get stuck in a near infinite loop of defending from not-scissorman and trying to activate/open something and the list goes on.

All the other complaints about the story and its protagonists is heavily spoiler territory so sorry for not ruining the plot for those who still want to get it regardless I guess?

No one is asking for spoiler stuff.

The fact that you revealed the main game mechanic is bugged in your second post in addition to the stuff I bolded is enough. Now I'm going to wait and see if the fix those issues in this version before I buy it. Thank you.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
No one is asking for spoiler stuff.

The fact that you revealed the main game mechanic is bugged in your second post in addition to the stuff I bolded is enough. Now I'm going to wait and see if the fix those issues in this version before I buy it. Thank you.

I would seriously hope they would fix something so glaring for a new release so take my complaints with a grain of salt. Seeing how poorly the PC version got 'patched' I wouldn't hold my breath. No amount of bugfixing will make the plot and characters any less painfully stupid though

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
It's a terrible nightmare of a game, and I say that as a backer, but legitimately interested in port impressions

Edit: not meant in a positive manner lol

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, the first review seems to confirm my biggest concerns for the Vita version :/

Sounds like the port is a mess: bad framerate, long loading times, control issues, etc. (note: the reviewer didn't finish the game, but it's hard to blame him for that)

PSU Review - 2/10

Everything you do – from attempting to open a door to examining a book of matches – prompts a load screen. My favorite moments come from trying to open a door and sitting through a six second load screen so the game could tell me that the way was blocked, and then another six second load screen to allow me to turn away from the door.

There were moments that I was literally running down a hallway and – without the camera changing – I was interrupted so the game could stop and load…more hallway. And when NightCry does shift the camera's position, it's so disorienting that you often wind up running back the way you came.

When getting chased by the monster, a new control scheme takes over, which makes running away next to impossible. The frame rate also drops to – no exaggeration – about one frame a second.
Pro-tip #1: do not press the button that is supposed to give you a look behind you. The camera gets stuck there, and you have no way to see where you are going. You will die.
This is a game that should not have seen the light of day. I am honestly amazed that NightCry made it through Sony's certification process. I suppose, that for all of its faults, NightCry technically "works". Credit where credit is due, the game doesn't crash for no reason. That's probably the best thing I can say about it.

NightCry goes beyond the usual borders of broken games and into new nightmarish territory. I have frankly never played a game as rife with issues as this one. If ever there were a game that could be labelled "unplayable", NightCry is the game. Outside of not loading at all, I can't think of another way this game could fail. If NightCry were the last game on Earth, I would not play it. I mean that literally. It's that bad.