• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SM0KE

Oct 27, 2017
I love working the night/graveyard shift.

But I am strange: I don't like sunlight, particularly the intensity of the midday sun, I really can't stand doing anything outside a couple hours after sunrise or before the evening unless I am in the shade mostly. I do like going for bike rides in the evening around sunset when the light isn't as intense.

I have no trouble sleeping in a room with the curtains drawn and a fan running.

I work 10:30pm-7am as a janitor and then go home and sleep from 8 to 4 every day and miss the midday sun. I don't mess with my sleep schedule on weekends like some people. People say working third shift takes years off of your life, I think that is mainly due to the fact that so many people on third/night/graveyard shift have such horrible sleep schedules. Maintaining a firm sleep schedule and making sure you get at least 6 hours every day is critical. I like sleeping right after work because if I don't sleep well then I have a chance to nap before work.

I think the person that came up with rotating/swing schedules where people alternate between 1st, 2nd and 3rd shift is possibly a sociopath.

I actually like using sleeping during the day to get out of social situations sometimes. I think I might have a schizoid (not schizophrenic) and paranoid personality type though.

There is a couple of week adjustment to getting used to working nights, you should know within 6-8 weeks if night shift is for you or if it just isn't your thing.

maGs

Oct 27, 2017
I work 4am to 1pm here. Best shift ever. I never deal with traffic and I have all of the daylight hours to do any household stuff

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
I worked 11pm-7am for over a year about a decade ago. Never again. The cost to your body's natural rhythms just isn't worth it.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Been working between 6pm-6am in different variations for about 15 years now. It's brutal. I miss the sun

donpureevil

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
i had regularly nightshifts. usually for 2 weeks long. my worktime was sun 10pm - mon 6am and then then tue-fri midnight to 6am.
i´m really bummed we don´t work nights for the forseeable future.
i was home after work at aroung 6:40am ate breakfast, went to bed at 8:00 and slept till 3pm. having the whole afternoon an early evening off is wonderful.
i have way more problems with the early shift (6:00am - 2:30pm) getting up at 4:30am is terrible.

but im a night person in general, if i could i would only sleep in the daytime and stay awake all night

d_escudero

Oct 28, 2017
I work on hospital, normal days are 8 AM - 5 PM. Some days I have a day emergency shift 8 AM - 8 PM. When I have a night emergency shift I have to go to 8 AM - 2 PM to do clinic rounds, then come back to the hospital to do 20 PM to 8 AM emergency shift, after that 8 AM - 11 AM clinic hours. The last 3 hours are so slow. But I like to have the rest of the day free.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I worked two over night jobs,The first was tech support for an ISP. When I started, my shift was from 5:00pm to 2:15am. It wasn't too terrible I stay up late usually anyway. Eventually my shift changed to 10pm thru 6:30am. And for the most part, I liked that shift. I liked going into work when everyone was already home, and going home when everyone was going to work. The only thing that sucked was on days off when everyone was asleep I was wide awake. I played a lot of WoW then.

For my other job, I worked at an Amazon warehouse from 6pm thru 4:30am. That shift sucked more. getting off at 4:30 is a dead zone when it comes to food. Most places have stopped selling burgers and stuff and only sell breakfast foods. Which sounds fine, but goddamnit I want a burger when I get out of work.

For me having overnight jobs isn't too bad. It's mostly the jobs themselves that are soul sucking. I absolutely fucking hated working both of those jobs.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
When I worked at Starbucks I had a 3:30 - 11:30pm closing shift for months. It wasn't bad but man did it get draining after a while.

If it weren't for the fact that there were bars next to my store and the fact that my shift supervisor who I'd close with most of the time became a really good friend who I'd would go drinking with after work, I'd have gone insane really quick.