• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RIP Niki

See you at the finish line.

For those who haven't seen this movie, check it out. It's based on Niki and the Nürburgring accident.

Dead Man

Nov 1, 2017
Damn. RIP. A hard arsed bastard who expected no less from everyone else. Seemed utterly unsentimental every time I saw him during races in his later years. Legend.

Adding to the Rush clips

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
I remember watching him with my dad as a wee lad when he returned to F1 after his first retirement. R.I.P.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RIP, hell of a racer. Glad he got to experience modern F1 when he was part of Mercedes and contribute to a winning team.

Also last winner at Zandvoort right?

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
It's a bit sad this thread only has 8 or 9 posts...

What a legend. RIP, Niki. Thank you for the amazing drives, quotes and memories.

My favourite "Elderly Fan"

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Considering what has happened to him and how he came back he is the greatest sport athlete of all time.

RIP Legend. Your interviews were the best thing about RTL.

Last edited:

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Rush is good. Auto racing is a crazy game, and Lauda had an interesting and unique life.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine not only returning after an career ending accident, but actually winning a world championship after that.

You can't get more badass than that

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Really saddening news. I've read that he's been in poor condition yesterday but didn't I expect it to end this way. He was a tough bastard. RIP legend

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
R.I.P.
He was a constant interview partner on.German F1 TV because he spoke the language and he'll be missed.
I can also just recommend watching Rush to learn about him and appreciate his life. Truly an excellent movie and a great job by Daniel Brühl who plays Lauda.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not forget, not only was he a spectacular driver, but he also took it to Boeing after one of his airlines crashed. Basically Boeing had an issue with their thrust reversers and Lauda pointed out an issue. Boeing pointed the finger at Lauda Air's pilots so Niki told Boeing that he will take the plane up himself with two other pilots and deploy the reverse thrusters in air.

Boeing then said no don't do that, issued a statement on how there was an issue with their thrusters and fixed it.

What a legend.

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
RIP legend. Never saw him race, but he was the most famous driver when I started watching F1 in the late 80's even after retiring.

Zornica

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
given his accident, is quite unbelievable that he still got to live this long.
And unlike other "extreme" sportsmen from Austria, he never turned to become some shit-head right-winger (as far as I'm aware at least).

Rip!

Let's not forget, not only was he a spectacular driver, but he also took it to Boeing after one of his airlines crashed. Basically Boeing had an issue with their thrust reversers and Lauda pointed out an issue. Boeing pointed the finger at Lauda Air's pilots so Niki told Boeing that he will take the plane up himself with two other pilots and deploy the reverse thrusters in air.

Boeing then said no don't do that, issued a statement on how there was an issue with their thrusters and fixed it.

What a legend.

never knew that... I always read the accident was pinned on bad maintenance.

someday

Oct 25, 2017

What a legend.
I had never heard of Niki Lauda until the Air Disasters episode about this. Impressive man. RIP.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Rush was a fantastic movie and by all accounts Niki Lauda was one of the greats.

RIP

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
s60kT0V.gif

Sorry for the bump. I only just found out that he passed away, and want to pay my respects.