• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
OSAKA -- Nintendo expects to sell only about 20 million Switch game consoles in the current fiscal year, a 10% decrease from fiscal 2021, despite strong demand, Nikkei has learned, as a semiconductor shortage and disruptions to logistics networks hamper production.

The figure is a 30% decrease from fiscal year 2020, when sales of the Switch hit a peak at 28.83 million units.
The number of Switches sold in fiscal 2021 is estimated at 23 million units, a 20% decrease from the previous year. That fiscal year, Nintendo initially planned to produce a record 30 million of the consoles, but the global chip shortage made it difficult to procure microcontrollers and other products, and the company lowered its production forecast in the fall.
The handheld Switch has been on the market for six years, but demand remains solid. The new model launched in October features screens with improved color reproduction and continues to be in short supply at some stores.

The Kyoto-based company would like to start increasing production, but the prolonged chip shortage and global supply chain disruptions exacerbated by Russia's invasion of Ukraine will impact production.

asia.nikkei.com

Nintendo expects 10% fewer Switch sales due to supply chain woes

Shanghai lockdown, chip shortages complicate fiscal 2022 production plans

Close if old.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
only 20 million this year?

good heavens just look at the time:

nintendo-doomed.gif

Oct 27, 2017
And this is why i dont get why people expect the switch 2 to be released so soon if they are still suffering from shortages for the old model

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
A measly 20 million? Switch just out there bombing this year.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Nintendo is doomed! Doomed I say!

(Inb4 people claim its because they're instead focusing production on switch 4k)

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Someone got the chalkboard? (Joke of course, sure they are still doing well enough and deserved).

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
it'd just mean fewer models of both

Only if Switches are now using the latest node. Are they?

If Switch is still using older nodes, it's not that simple. You want the latest nodes, you're going to have to outbid all the other companies that want to use it. And that's really not Nintendo's style.

I'm sure there's way more competition, now, for the older nodes too. Which might explain why they're not sourcing as many. As the latest nodes get more expensive, the larger/cheaper nodes start to look more appealing for a lot of companies (and drive up the cost on those too).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If Switch is still using older nodes, it's not that simple. You want the latest nodes, you're going to have to outbid all the other companies that want to use it. And that's really not Nintendo's style.

I'm sure there's way more competition, now, for the older nodes too. Which might explain why they're not sourcing as many. As the latest nodes get more expensive, the larger/cheaper nodes start to look more appealing for a lot of companies (and drive up the cost on those too).
Nintendo isn't buying wafers, Nvidia is, and Nintendo buys from them. and they spent nearly $10B on 5/4nm, which Drake could be a part of. other parts that could be shared might limit both systems. besides, the current switch doesn't seem limited by actual wafers as 12nm isn't widely used.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo isn't buying wafers, Nvidia is, and Nintendo buys from them. and they spent nearly $10B on 5/4nm, which Drake could be a part of. other parts that could be shared might limit both systems. besides, the current switch doesn't seem limited by actual wafers as 12nm isn't widely used.

Sure. Nvidia isn't going to have issues buying wafers (or the other giant tech companies) because they're going to outbid companies on any open capacity. But those costs get passed along. And because Nintendo doesn't feel comfortable going above certain price points and doesn't want to lose money on hardware, I doubt they're thrilled at the prospect of paying the "new" price.

That's why I was curious about what the current wafer was and whether it was related to them being able to source less. 12nm definitively wasn't very popular, but it's perfectly fine for lots of applications. And I'd assume there's been increased competition at that capacity now that the other end has gotten so much more expensive to buy into.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
And this is why i dont get why people expect the switch 2 to be released so soon if they are still suffering from shortages for the old model
Exactly what I was going to post... I just don't understand why people keep thinking that it would be in Nintendo best interest to release a successor this year or early next year. They are a company, they want money, profits, all that jazz, they can still make a lot of money with the Switch hardware and software this year and the next, they can easily wait for 2024 for a new hardware, the shortage issue may not be done by then, but it won't be as bad as it is now.

Then again Nintendo has constatly done things that didn't seem to be the best option, not al the time, of course, but they have done that, and I wouldn't surprise me if they release a successor in October/November this year lol

Also, I am no analyst or business person so I may be just talking stupid things here.

Last edited:

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

Are they though? The OLED model has invariably been in stock on Amazon for months, and is easily found at Best Buy, Wal Mart, etc.

I haven't been aware that there have even been supply issues with the Switch because every time I check it's in stock everywhere.

Oct 27, 2017
Are they though? The OLED model has invariably been in stock on Amazon for months, and is easily found at Best Buy, Wal Mart, etc.

I haven't been aware that there have even been supply issues with the Switch because every time I check it's in stock everywhere.
Well unless Nintendo is straight up lying to thker investors, the article says they havw shortage issues

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well unless Nintendo is straight up lying to thker investors, the article says they havw shortage issues

I mean, nobody would say outright that demand for their product is dropping, but whatever they mean by shortage doesn't seem to be having anywhere near the kind of effect that the shortages are for the other two consoles, because switch has reliably been easy to buy one of should you want to for a long, long time

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
maybe this "shortage" they're referring to is stockpiling units for the holidays.
every year they have units for sale every month and then there's a portion that is saved for the holidays since sales go way up in that period.
it's possible they can have a normal supply for the monthy demand during these current months but have almost no extra stock to save for holidays, which means once the holidays arrive, they don't have more stock than the usual and suddendly they have massive shortages.

Oct 27, 2017
I would say if it's hitting 20m this fiscal year, a spring 23 or holiday 23 next gen switch 2 launch is good because switch 1 sales will still be 15M+ (likely 18-20) but as sales decline they can continue momentum with the new system

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
Exactly what I was going to post... I just don't understand why people keep thinking that it would be in Nintendo best interest to release a successor this year or early next year. They are a company, they want money, profits, all that jazz, they can still make a lot of money with the Switch hardware and software this year and the next, they can easily wait for 2024 for a new hardware, the shortage issue may not be done by then, but it won't be as bad as it is now.

Then again Nintendo has constatly done things that didn't seem to be the best option, not al the time, of course, but they have done that, and I wouldn't surprise me if they release a successor in October/November this year lol

Also, I am no analyst or business person so I may be just talking stupid things here.
Are we sure the shortages will be less bad than they are now? They may be as bad or worse in 2024, we simply don't know yet.

www.cnbc.com

Intel CEO now expects chip shortage to last into 2024

Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger said the extended timeline for the chip crunch is now due to a lack of manufacturing equipment.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
That would make Nintendo with what, 130m Switches over the world?
It certainly doesn't look bad, unless the people claiming the Switch being a 200m success were actually talking seriously.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Sony looking at Nintendo like "20 million!!!"

Insane to think that ps5 was originally going to have a target of 22.5 million+ this year. Not a good sign if even Switch--a smaller, mature, easier to produce system--can't hit that mark.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
These are in stock everywhere in the Northeast US. By these, I mean Regular, OLED and multiple Lite color variants. I don't believe any shortage talk.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
These are in stock everywhere in the Northeast US. By these, I mean Regular, OLED and multiple Lite color variants. I don't believe any shortage talk.

As another poster said, when you're still shipping out 20 million systems or so, it's not so much the month-to-month sales that suffer, it's the holiday sales, when they usually ship more than 10 million for that quarter alone.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Are we sure the shortages will be less bad than they are now? They may be as bad or worse in 2024, we simply don't know yet.

www.cnbc.com

Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger said the extended timeline for the chip crunch is now due to a lack of manufacturing equipment.
Oh, I was just trying to be optimistic and not trying to sound like I am making things too bad, but I remember reading that shortages may last until 2026. liek that will be the last year with them... I hope that's not the case.

Oct 26, 2017

Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with production limitations on the SoC, they give an example of microcontrollers in the report.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the most anecdotal take possible but was at my local Wal-Mart yesterday and noticed they were fully stocked with all Switch models, even the OLED model was available. I think 20 million might be more than enough to cover them for this year, it may just bite them a little during the holiday but with no BOTW2 coming this fall I think they can get away with that too.

My suspicion for Switch 2/Super Switch is they are OK with a more limited launch to get the ball rolling and treating it initially as an additive model. So for the following fiscal year if they ship say 15 million Switch systems and "only" a few million Super Switch systems ... they still come out ahead with more overall systems sold.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
No doubt Switch will be hard to find again after the combo Splatoon 3 + new Pokémon generation release, but nice to see it could reach another 20M in its 6th year, even with shortages.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This is the most anecdotal take possible but was at my local Wal-Mart yesterday and noticed they were fully stocked with all Switch models, even the OLED model was available. I think 20 million might be more than enough to cover them for this year, it may just bite them a little during the holiday but with no BOTW2 coming this fall I think they can get away with that too.

My suspicion for Switch 2/Super Switch is they are OK with a more limited launch to get the ball rolling and treating it initially as an additive model. So for the following fiscal year if they ship say 15 million Switch systems and "only" a few million Super Switch systems ... they still come out ahead with more overall systems sold.
Launching a new console with the plan that your old model will sell three times as much as the new one doesn't seem like a very smart move.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018

www.cnbc.com

I would take Pat Gelsinger's comments with a grain of salt. He's fundamentally right about ASML and others being a bottleneck in getting more EUV capacity across the industry, but he's also financially incentivized to get new customers for Intel's new public foundary business where they make chips for other clients like TSMC does.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I see way more people meme on people who seriously claim Nintendo is doomed than people who legitimately say Nintendo is doomed by a large margin. I don't get it.

The Wii-Wii U era was rough for Nintendo fans. Any good news during the Wii era was met with downplaying and calls for them to go third party hit a fever pitch. So many were saying that a next Nintendo console shouldn't exist at the time.

Are they though? I mean they spent a little time out of stock last year, but not that long. They "only" made 23 million last year but that seems like it was more than enough to meet demand. I wouldn't be surprised if the silicon shortage was the excuse but truthfully sales are just in decline year over year.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The Wii-Wii U era was rough for Nintendo fans. Any good news during the Wii era was met with downplaying and calls for them to go third party hit a fever pitch. So many were saying that a next Nintendo console shouldn't exist at the time.
The Gamecube was the worst of all. Not only was it by far their least successful console up to that point, Sega had similarly bowed out and went third party just a few years before. There were endless calls for Nintendo to do the same.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I see way more people meme on people who seriously claim Nintendo is doomed than people who legitimately say Nintendo is doomed by a large margin. I don't get it.
Right now, sure. The gamecube and Wii u era had a lot of people seriously doubting Nintendo. Every other magazine had the inside scoop on Nintendo going third party during he gamecube days and there were a lot of people seriously suggesting that Nintendo should go full-in on mobile during the Wii U.