• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
asia.nikkei.com

Nintendo raises Switch output to record 30m on stay-at-home demand

Boom in paid subscriptions helps to drive gaming device's success

TOKYO -- Nintendo will ramp up output of the Switch to about 30 million units this fiscal year, Nikkei has learned, marking an all-time high for the flagship gaming device in a bid to capitalize on continuing stay-at-home demand.

The Kyoto-based company approached multiple parts suppliers about accelerating production. People with direct knowledge of the matter verified plans to expand output.

Nintendo is taking an unusual step for a device that is already in its fifth year of existence. The strategy will have to contend with a number of new rival offerings that have appeared in the last year.

In addition, Nintendo will release a follow-up Switch model capable of better graphics. This will be the first such offering since the 2019 release of the Nintendo Switch Lite.

In the previous fiscal year through March 31, stay-at-home demand brought about by the pandemic fueled blockbuster sales of the social game "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" and the new "Monster Hunter" title.

Nintendo appears to have broken a new consolidated profit record in fiscal 2020. Such an earnings report would echo the results from fiscal 2007, when the company released its two hit devices the Wii and the DS.

Reminder that Nintendo will release it's financial report for the fiscal year this upcoming Thursday.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I'll make my current Switch a portable only device and this one home use if so.

Btw how does digital library work if you use two switches - can the same account be logged in both or do I need to keep switching SD cards or what?

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
I would hope so. They shipped 28-30M this past FY, so they should be able to do the same in the next one.

If they've got the SW line up (+Pro) that makes them confident in going public with a 30M forecast then I expect internal forecast is higher than that (up to 35M).

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020

Btw how does digital library work if you use two switches - can the same account be logged in both or do I need to keep switching SD cards or what?
Put your account on the second Switch, One will be your primary and the other your secondary.

The secondary will always need to be connected to the internet toplay digital games.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Nikkei to cool to spell out Monster Hunter Rise lol.

Either way...upcoming months will be very interesting.

My god

What is the final lifetime sales going to be for the Switch?
+100m by the end of this CY.

So yeah might hit 100m prior to a price drop and the release of the Pro/Plus iteration. Crazy lol.

Where its gonna end up will depend on Nintendo, but DS/PS2 numbers are all but confirmed.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo manages to sell 30 million Switches in the next FY, then it's likely that by this time next year, the Switch will have outsold the PS4. The amount of PS4s sold this FY may shift the exact timing but it seems inevitable at this point.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
30M, I said wow, good luck Nintendo!
120M LTD seems like a very easy target after that.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely seems like Switch momentum isn't expected to taper anytime soon. Seems like it may cross 120M LTD at this rate.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Put your account on the second Switch, One will be your primary and the other your secondary.

The secondary will always need to be connected to the internet toplay digital games.
This person is on the money with the way to do it. Though you would most likely set the portable as primary and home as secondary due to consistent internet access at home, theoretically.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
110m switches sold by the end of the year is crazy, but it seems plausible if the new switch gets existing owners buying a second.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni

This person is on the money with the way to do it. Though you would most likely set the portable as primary and home as secondary due to consistent internet access at home, theoretically.

Thanks!

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
30 million this FY? Surely they're planning on BOTW2 to push for this?

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They gonna get to 100 mil without a single price drop.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely seems like Switch momentum isn't expected to taper anytime soon. Seems like it may cross 120M LTD at this rate.
it's already beyond 80m. if it does 30m in the next year, then it will pass 120m. the only other milestones beyond that are the top dogs - the ds and ps2, with 154m and 155m respectively.

basically, if the switch hits 30m this year, it's going to be on track to become the best-selling console of all-time.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting. Nate thought they would not include the Switch Pro numbers in the guidance releasing this week, as a way to hedge their bets against the chip shortage/possible delay. It sounds like Nintendo is confident that they can deliver the system in the volume they want.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Interesting. Nate thought they would not include the Switch Pro numbers in the guidance releasing this week, as a way to hedge their bets against the chip shortage/possible delay. It sounds like Nintendo is confident that they can deliver the system in the volume they want.
This is more of them preparing for high demand, they won't tell their investors they plan to sell 30 million units this new FY.

Mar 31, 2021
Hopefully this means a fall 2021 release then

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
289555.jpg

Zalera

Mar 26, 2021
Can't wait for the Pro tbh. I just want BotW at 60fps and a higher resolution. I'll prolly give my OG Switch to my niece.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Incidentally, the source is Nikkei, which regarding Nintendo stuff is basically second in reliability to Nintendo themselves. Switch Pro is coming before the end of this current financial year.

If they pair release timing the pro with Botw2
$$$$$$$$$$
That's probably the plan.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Definitely seems like Switch momentum isn't expected to taper anytime soon.

Which is good. We've been hearing rumors about a "pro" model for a good while now so I think they've just been holding on sending it to production for when momentum starts to slow. I expect that they don't want to get caught flat-footed like they did with the Wii when consumer demand fell off a cliff.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
That's cool and all but like.

gimme GBA on switch lol. And I guess BOTW 2 and Xenoblade 3.

in all seriousness. Looks like it could end up being the best selling console. Don't think anybody predicted that. How the hell did that happen.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020

Others answered the question if you only have one account, which makes things simple. If you have more than one account though, it gets hairy because you can no longer share games with other users on any Switch that isn't listed as the primary.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
That's cool and all but like.

gimme GBA on switch lol. And I guess BOTW 2 and Xenoblade 3.

in all seriousness. Looks like it could end up being the best selling console. Don't think anybody predicted that. How the hell did that happen.
I think in large part it happened because Nintendo consolidated their handheld and console business into one device. A really really cool device with a huge slate of Nintendo exclusives and support for some very popular indie titles.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Don't think anybody predicted that. How the hell did that happen.

People grossly undersetimated how good Nintendo's portable lines are. Since the 90's they've been a portable manufacturer that happens to dabble in home consoles.

support for some very popular indie titles.

It's absolutely insane how much indies have embraced the Switch, and Nintendo has embraced them back. When the Wii U hit and dropped the file size limits of eShop titles I had high hopes that Nintendo would get serious about indies but I think they had a harder time due to the presence of the Vita. With the Vita out of the way and a lot of indie developers being influenced by older Nintendo titles the Switch is a natural home for those types of projects.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Others answered the question if you only have one account, which makes things simple. If you have more than one account though, it gets hairy because you can no longer share games with other users on any Switch that isn't listed as the primary.

Yeah I only have one account.

I plan to get a second Switch provided the visual output and performance is worth it.

My first Switch will become a portable only system which I will use mainly during lunch break at work (every lunch break in the last few years I've been playing either my iPhone games, DS, 3DS or PSP) where I will play ports of games I already played (got several like Final Fantasy series, Dragon Quest, Super Mario 64, etc) while first party exclusives like Pokemon Sword or third party exclusives like The World Ends With You Remix will be played on my second future one which will be home use only.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
has there been a console that's done this well without a price cut? that part always seems crazy to me

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
You can be sure they've got some magic lined up for later this year in terms of software.

are they at E3 this year?

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I have the suspicion that the Switch Pro's main draw or feature is that it will run flawless cloud versions of major games that are too big (and will remain too big for years to come, regardless of the innards of the Switch Pro) for a portable.

otherwise the more power thing makes no sense.

The price/size of a cartdrige alone for games like say RDR2 make the proposition unattractive from the get go for publishers, just as is the price of a powerful as fuck handheld that could run the game natively for consumers.

but I have no idea so I expect someone in this thread to set me straight.

Dec 21, 2020
You can be sure they've got some magic lined up for later this year in terms of software.

are they at E3 this year?
Yes

Before I get too excited for the Pro, I really wanna know how beefy it's gonna be and what it'll be capable of. Im out if I can't play BoTW at 60 fps.
That's already likely a lot from a portable

But it depends on how Nintendo optimizes it and if they want to have it at 60FPS in the first place. And how much of an upgrade it is.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I have the suspicion that the Switch Pro's main draw or feature is that it will run flawless cloud versions of major games that are too big (and will remain too big for years to come, regardless of the innards of the Switch Pro) for a portable.

otherwise the more power thing makes no sense.

The size of a cartdrige alone for games like say RDR2 make the proposition unattractive from the get go for publishers, just as is the price of a powerful as fuck handheld that could run the game natively for consumers.

but I have no idea so I expect someone in this thread to set me straight.
In what world does more power make no sense ?
Im sure devs and alot of customers would disagree, people been ready for a more powerful Switch for a minute.