• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Usgamer translation is incorrect. Nikkei never mentions that the Pro revision will be delayed. In fact they don't even mention a Pro revision at all, but they report that the "next-gen" Switch (successor?) will enter development soon.

Development on a "next-generation device that is a full model change of the current hardware" will reportedly follow the less expensive model. While Nintendo is said to be trying out various things—including operability and video expression improvements, operating system changes, and so on—development is currently in a state where "it is not clear who will lead the creation of the concept," according to one developer.
https://gematsu.com/2019/04/nikkei-less-exp

Original post:

Japanese business journal Nikkei has a new report on Nintendo's plans for the Nintendo Switch with new details on future models. USG independently translated the report, which claims that a "next-generation" model of the Switch, different from a planned "inexpensive version," has been postponed. The reason appears to specifically be with getting the Nintendo Switch operating system running on this new hardware and an issue with power consumption.

Regarding the inexpensive model:
Nikkei refers to this as a "small bargain version of its main game console 'Nintendo Switch,'" and says it's releasing this fall. While it's reportedly designed for portable outdoor use, the report also suggests that it will be dockable and playable on the TV. This goes against earlier rumors that suggested the smaller Switch would do away with the TV component of the current Nintendo Switch model.

Via https://www.usgamer.net/articles/nintendo-switch-pro-delay-lite-dock-report

Last edited:

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The smaller model launching close to Pokémon makes more sense the PRO one.

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
Good.

Don't want a dumb decision between two models in front of me. Just give me the more portable one ASAP.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still think they will reveal both this year. I dont think they want to get caught up next year in the next gen hype

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Were the two new models supposed to release near one another? I always thought the portable one was launching first. And that one is still on course to release this fall

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they get the cheaper model out in time for Animal Crossing / Pokémon, they will be fine.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't mind waiting for the Switch Pro, especially if we get beefier hardware when it actually comes out.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see the point, "It's a Switch, but small." tbh. If they go with that they need to do something unique like making it dual-screen.

Oct 25, 2017
You probably need to buy a dock and joy con to dock the new switch but it should be nice otherwise.

Bummer about the switch pro.
Guess no title really needs it this year, but they better have it out for Zelda/Mario

Oct 25, 2017
The reasons for the Pro delay seem rather interesting. Power consumption I would expect but trouble porting software is odd. Did they make a big change to an underlying component?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Ah well, gives me more time to enjoy my current Switch, but I wish it were the other way around as I don't care about a more portable version.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Bah. That's fine I guess. At least the OG Switch will have gotten 3 full years before a true upgrade.

The OS thing seems odd. I get power consumption being a problem with an even more powerful handheld, but wtf could be the problem with using the OS on what I assume is another Tegra?

Nov 3, 2017
This honestly gives me hope that this is a meaningful bump in the specs of the system and not just a minor upgrade. I hope they work out the issues soon

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
What's the catch with the inexpensive model if you can indeed dock it? There's always a catch.

Bad screen, removed features in Joy-Con, no dock included, those kinds of things. I do think there'll still be detachable controllers, as I think the nature of being able to share and turn them on their side is too integral in a lot of games, but I think they'll be a bit worse in the cheaper model.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
The power consumption issue makes sense since that was always going to be the big deal for a portable. And especially Nintendo wants to make sure that their portable battery life is acceptable.

I guess, I often wonder what kind of graphics cards are out there that can do both high fidelity while not costing so much power? I'm guessing not many at all

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very curious why the OS of all things is causing issues on more powerful hardware. Can anyone with more tech knowledge provide some educated guessed on what this could imply?